Bandai 1/35 DX VF-1

eriku

Definitely interested in this one. I'm not too crazy about the proportions of this battroid but the size alone sells it. I'm curious to see how fighter mode looks, hopefully Bandai has given it some good looking landing gears too.

So who else thinks this thing will have a working opening hatch?

Glad to see that the legs look absolutely nothing like the 1/72 model. Those knee joints were just terrible.

Also, looks like this size is actually large enough to fully conceal the thigh hinge inside the intake, which is nice. Hopefully they can even do moving intake covers. :)

Looks pretty good, possibly even a shadow of side covers under the chest. I'm reserving any judgment until we see it in fighter mode though. All those fancy features mean nothing if they can't pull that off at least as well as the 1/60ths.

Have to agree about the lights though, I really don't care much about those, unless they go the distance and throw in actual landing and formation lights, and I pale at the thought of how complex that would be, and much the price would climb to if they did that.

I'm not that sold on the proportions either, The nosecone/forward fuselage appears to be small and too narrow compared to the rest of the battroid.

Hope the proportions will be balanced between all three modes. I'm too partial to the 1/60 Yamato/Arcadia VF-1.

why is it that every time bandai does a VF-1, I feel like the legs are too small for the rest of the figure.

its because torso looks long because it seems they prioritize teh fighter mode. also they don't slid ethe nosecone up like 1/60 v2 to balance that. the sliding nosecone feature does give the "priest collar" look as jenius calls it but i think thats acceptable as it looks better/more humanoid anyway. the 1/48 yamato had the same issue. in fact this new 1/35 looks more like the old 1/48 than it does the newer hi metal line or 1/72 kits in terms of proportions. IMO it looks great.

Wow, I must admit, I was skeptical... but I'm impressed with this sculpt so far. I even like Bandai's "non-canon" additional details, it seems to make sense. I hope the chest intakes actually recess in a bit instead of just a flat drop and painting it black.

However I won't hold my breath for decent landing gears. Time and time again Bandai has proven to me it has no ideas how to make decent aircraft like landing gears - at best they will be fat and chunky (ie: Yukikaze or Yamato 2199)

Not digging the proportions either (I like my Valks more on the cartoony side), but that's a matter of taste really. The lights and size are cool, but for me, getting a new VF-1 would only make sense if it's an improvement upon what we already have (besides, I'm way behind on my Arcadia's), so I guess I'll seat and wait for the features and accessories breakdown before making up my mind.

Edit: So far I'm happy with my two 1/48's as far as big Valks go.

What Mr Cheng said----this is Bandai, the landing gear could SUCK.

I'm personally hoping for a really nice fighter mode, with formation lights and everything. Maybe even a taxiing light for the nose gear. We all know a lit-up fighter mode could look even cooler than a lit-up battroid. But only if done right, with good landing gear.

Edit-----ooh, light up cockpit maybe?

Wow, I must admit, I was skeptical... but I'm impressed with this sculpt so far. I even like Bandai's "non-canon" additional details, it seems to make sense. I hope the chest intakes actually recess in a bit instead of just a flat drop and painting it black.

Considering that the Hi-Metals, which are 1/100 scale, have actual recessed chest intakes, I should hope they would be able to do at least as well on a 1/35 scale figure.

I'm in agreement with the 1/48 Yamato comparison. The length of the nosecone and the beefier leg proportions remind me a lot of that design. If those hands are the actual default hands that fold into the arms, then I'd say that overall it's a pretty good sculpt.

I'm surprised nobody has made mention of those little robotic arms that extend from the forearms to do repair work. At 1/35, it's within a reasonable scale that they could implement that gimmick.

I'm not feeling it either. To be fair I was skeptical the second this was announced so I'm probably biased. I prefer the Yamcadia 1/60th VF-1. Overall the size of the 1/35 scale is just too big for my collection space.

Not digging the proportions either (too similar to the Yamato 1/48), but I definitely want it if it gets green light and can be priced reasonably. The level of detail that could be achieved at this scale is any mecha fans wildest dream.

The landing gears do worry me based upon the DX line.

I would love to see detailed side covers, cockpit and moveable tail fin flaps. If the do fast packs, I'd love to see LED's in the boosters. Also metal feet.

Loving the prototype shot so far! Do we still call the 1/35 a toy or display piece?

If it does transform though, i wonder how would the lighting be handled, additionally there would be wiring components to think abt now, so that it continues to light up in all 3 modes.

From the prototype it seems that 1 power source is lighting everything.

The other way would be seperate battery packs of course but that would involve turning each component on one by one...

The lighting could be handled either way, and both would work for me. Hot Toys has separate battery compartments for their Iron man toys. You would of course need more / separate batteries. I suspect they will do what they've done on the PG gundam kits and have a single battery that can be plugged into.

That now has me thinking they could sell a separate LED pack for those that want to light it if they go the single power source. That could be pretty cool, because they could potentially implement it into some display base.

The very possibility of a Macross Valk (that we can buy) existing in such a scale is exciting enough on it's own.

Execution is obviously key.
I did think about the wires too EXO, there seems to be one running into one of the feet.

A production model would need an integrated battery solution and perhaps some fancy conductive joints to avoid pinching of wires -> ergo more expense

I'm not a fan of the backlighting to the visor either but should it make production, we could hope for a better solution.

the proportions in Battroid look quite good actually! Better than I was expecting.. very similar looking to a Yamato v2 VF-1.

The lighting is cool but having a wire dangling out its backside isn't such a nice idea.. im hoping for those Gundam style (no pun intended) fully articulating hands! Higher overall external detailing and a more accurately detailed cockpit & pilot!

If possible i dont quite like the idea of seperate batt compartments for lighting, merely because often you would always need to remember to remove the batteries.

Batteries left inside toys unactivated will leak and can spoil the contacts!

My obi-wan kotobukiya almost had the saber light-up battery compartment points corroded, due to my lapse in memory.

I prefer a wire lighted system and the plus is that there is possibility of sequential auto light-up.

The best of both worlds would be an internal rechargeable batt pack where u plug in the valk and charge it!

And u flick a switch to turn everything on at the same time...

post-15116-0-34852100-1446260710.jpg

to be honest I could totally pass on lighting.. I'd rather have more effort put into detailing than messing about with electronics. Just seems an unnecessary cost and complexity.

but with the lighting power method.. I can't remember what type of figure it was but my cousin has a robot which lights up when you stand it on its base. Has metal contacts in the feet which make the connection.. better than unsightly wiring.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i don't like it, the nose is too long for battroid... shoulders don't look right. reminds me of what i didn't like of the 1/48.

long nose = fighter mode is going to be amazing :)

i don't like it, the nose is too long for battroid... shoulders don't look right. reminds me of what i didn't like of the 1/48.

long nose = fighter mode is going to be amazing :)

Hmmm the photo is a little deceptive I think.. the nose section does look kinda alright.. and just glancing over at some of my v2 VF-1 for comparison the nose on the 1:35 looks very similar in length.

The gap from where the nose cone joins to the forward fuselage to where the very front of the cockpit canopy starts looks a little gappy which might be causing the long nose looking effect.

Yeah the shoulders do look a little funny but still not bad. But I'll agree we don't want it looking like a 1:48.. insta turn off if that was the case. <_<

The more I look at it the more I like it! ^_^

Edited by spanner76

I've said it before....whoever is currently in charge of the Macross line at Bandai must be an old school fan and truly loves Macross.....

I see the love.....Have you felt it? :ph34r: ....maybe he was a former Yamato employee! :o

It's OK guys...the lit up visor is totally legit!!! :rolleyes:

gallery_12176_640_1616604.jpg

dxs.jpg

Edited by jvmacross

I've said it before....whoever is currently in charge of the Macross line at Bandai must be an old school fan and truly loves Macross.....

I see the love.....Have you felt it? :ph34r: ....maybe he was a former Yamato employee! :o

It's OK guys...the lit up visor is totally legit!!! :rolleyes:

Way cool....!

Guest davidwhangchoi

Hmmm the photo is a little deceptive I think.. the nose section does look kinda alright.. and just glancing over at some of my v2 VF-1 for comparison the nose on the 1:35 looks very similar in length.

The gap from where the nose cone joins to the forward fuselage to where the very front of the cockpit canopy starts looks a little gappy which might be causing the long nose looking effect.

Yeah the shoulders do look a little funny but still not bad. But I'll agree we don't want it looking like a 1:48.. insta turn off if that was the case. <_<

The more I look at it the more I like it! ^_^

maybe it's the chest piece... disproportionate... it looks like the 1/48 a bit over sized. like he's wearing a sign in front ala mp hotrod.

Edited by davidwhangchoi