BANDAI DX YF-19!!

seti88

The good part about the YF-21 there is that there shouldn't be any other markings.  The only issue with the YF-19 is really that the lettering is over the black wing striping, so you have to repaint the black.  The YF-21's should be on plain blue plastic, so you can just scrape the unwanted billboard logos off, without harming the rest of the markings.

15 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

The good part about the YF-21 there is that there shouldn't be any other markings.  The only issue with the YF-19 is really that the lettering is over the black wing striping, so you have to repaint the black.  The YF-21's should be on plain blue plastic, so you can just scrape the unwanted billboard logos off, without harming the rest of the markings.

If I remember correctly, there is no repainting of the black. The white is applied on top of the black striping. Need to find the link to @tekering's post. 

Edit: my memory failed me. I found the link, and I was wrong. :( 

Edited by kkx

Yeah, unfortunately they just made a ton of work for people who don't like the markings.  I'm kinda tempted to remove the letters on just the left wing, since they're over black.

The whole thing would have been a lot more tolerable if they'd just picked a consistent font, location, and angle for all the markings.. but no.. they had to slap two entirely different sizes of lettering on, and pick entirely different angles for both sets, one of which doesn't even match any existing marking or panel line on the wing. :rolleyes: 

8 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Yeah, unfortunately they just made a ton of work for people who don't like the markings.  I'm kinda tempted to remove the letters on just the left wing, since they're over black.

The whole thing would have been a lot more tolerable if they'd just picked a consistent font, location, and angle for all the markings.. but no.. they had to slap two entirely different sizes of lettering on, and pick entirely different angles for both sets, one of which doesn't even match any existing marking or panel line on the wing. :rolleyes: 

I agree.

Compare to Hasegawa 1/72 marking, these does have rooms for improvement.

Now that I look at the photo from @tekering again, I wonder how Bandai painted these such that there is no black paint under the white lettering?

I am guessing white on black will show shadow so they have to mask or shape the tampo of the black to avoid the problem. Extra cost.

Also strange that the white paint come off while the black is not affected by the thinner used. Using different type of paint for white and black?

Obviously I have no clue about tampo printing process.

22 minutes ago, kkx said:

I agree.

Compare to Hasegawa 1/72 marking, these does have rooms for improvement.

Now that I look at the photo from @tekering again, I wonder how Bandai painted these such that there is no black paint under the white lettering?

I am guessing white on black will show shadow so they have to mask or shape the tampo of the black to avoid the problem. Extra cost.

Also strange that the white paint come off while the black is not affected by the thinner used. Using different type of paint for white and black?

Obviously I have no clue about tampo printing process.

They probably printed the black and white ink onto a transfer plate or the like, possibly silkscreen or something similar?

5 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

They probably printed the black and white ink onto a transfer plate or the like, possibly silkscreen or something similar?

If I'm remembering right tampo printing uses a silicon pad (hence the name) with a negative of the design engraved into it to pick up ink and press it onto the object.

Edit: If you can stomach really cringey advertisement videos I found one that has a decent overview of the process: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AX3fwGpT6Gs

Edited by Jaustin89

On 7/23/2019 at 11:58 AM, no3Ljm said:

2 Boosters included. FTW indeed! :yahoo:

Definitely a must! Cant imagine the meltdown if bandai only included one...:aggressive::vava:

12 hours ago, sh9000 said:

I’m thinking about going to SDCon to get my YF-19 autographed by Takumi Yamazaki.

As a certain dude would say....Doooittt!

4 hours ago, seti88 said:

Definitely a must! Cant imagine the meltdown if bandai only included one...:aggressive::vava:

What meltdown you’re talking about? That’s probably Bandai’s game plan. We have to buy 2, so we can use both boosters on one like in the anime, and have a plain vanilla one for display. :rolleyes:

Fans of the vf-11 DX aka buyer meltdown :p 
But nothing much would come out of complaining, bandai got everyone by the ahem...wallets. :rolleyes: 

Lol buying 2 wont help if bandai doesnt include attachment points for the boosters underside...thats going the extra mile for anime accuracy....which uhh how do i say it...bandai-ed...

Edited by seti88

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Arkham said:

Does anyone knows if you can store the gunpod in the shield?

No, you can't.  The gunpod is one of the most disappointing things in this otherwise pretty great package, imo.

You can kinda-sorta simulate storing the gun behind the shield by putting the gunpod on that arm slot.  But it only looks ok-ish at certain angles.

4 hours ago, theraiden said:

Now i must have this. Good place to buy?

*edit* Nevermind, jungle has the best price :)

That's not including the 5% processing fee and its sealed.

Try the For Sale boards here if anyone has a set for sale, if not, then Manda (from 26k yen to 28k yen). If you had caught my post back in Sept 26th, there was one for 23k yen. 

6 hours ago, treatment said:

wotafa's new "technical" review of the DX YF-19...

Oh wow, so when transforming starting from fighter we should lift and slide the wing up before attempting to pull the wing tabs out from the leg, which would make the process a whole lot easier? If this is the case, I wish I had known. I thought I was going to break the toy the first time transforming. Lol I had to get creative and make use of fishing lines.

• 1 month later...

Lets just say I order this from Amazon.co.jp to US. It's fulfilled by Amazon. If my laser tip is snapped they'll allow for a return, right? I tried to read their policy, but the best I could determine is that they want you to use some specific Japanese shipping services? Seems like a potential mess.

13 minutes ago, 100mega said:

Lets just say I order this from Amazon.co.jp to US. It's fulfilled by Amazon. If my laser tip is snapped they'll allow for a return, right? I tried to read their policy, but the best I could determine is that they want you to use some specific Japanese shipping services? Seems like a potential mess.

I've never had to deal with it but it seems to be the case that they do accept returns and will even send a replacement if available. Only thing is you pay for DHL shipping back to them but they reimburse you afterwards.

16 minutes ago, 100mega said:

In all truth, a snapped head laser is one of the easiest out-of-the-box fixes you can wind up with.  I believe there are replacements available from Shapeways (or other 3D printing services), or if you have a pin drill, a paperclip, and some glue, you can fix it to almost brand new condition (and stronger!) with a little effort.

If you have larger issues with things breaking, I'd absolutely look into returns, but I don't think returning it for a broken head laser is worth the effort, especially as these get harder to find.

36 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I've never had to deal with it but it seems to be the case that they do accept returns and will even send a replacement if available. Only thing is you pay for DHL shipping back to them but they reimburse you afterwards.

30 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

In all truth, a snapped head laser is one of the easiest out-of-the-box fixes you can wind up with.  I believe there are replacements available from Shapeways (or other 3D printing services), or if you have a pin drill, a paperclip, and some glue, you can fix it to almost brand new condition (and stronger!) with a little effort.

If you have larger issues with things breaking, I'd absolutely look into returns, but I don't think returning it for a broken head laser is worth the effort, especially as these get harder to find.

Thanks for the informative replies. We shall see!

Should be getting this by the weekend. Head laser stress meltdown incoming. Is it still best practice to loosen the screws on the hip joint half a turn? I’ve already snapped a foot off of a Jojo’s figure this month and I don’t know how much more I can take. 

12 minutes ago, 100mega said:

Should be getting this by the weekend. Head laser stress meltdown incoming. Is it still best practice to loosen the screws on the hip joint half a turn? I’ve already snapped a foot off of a Jojo’s figure this month and I don’t know how much more I can take. 

Check the Macross Maintance thread; Page 4 post by @Sildani on September 6th, 2018

11 hours ago, 100mega said:

Wouldn't hurt to do it. :good: 

14 hours ago, 100mega said:

When you loosen them, make sure to check the full rotation.  Mine seem to be tighter in some spots than others.

Head laser is snapped! Thinking about ordering one of those replacements from that Chinese website that was posted a few pages earlier. Sucks to open a holy grail toy and see it broken right away. If Bandai wanted to repent they should include an extra YF-19 head laser in the upcoming YF-21. I haven't tried transforming it yet, but so far everything else on this one seems fine. Keeping for now.