BANDAI DX YF-19!!

seti88

1 minute ago, borgified said:

The first thing that you want to do in your copy if the YF-19 Full set is: Loosen up those hip joints!

Don't be like @onnasake and have your valk legs sheer off during the transformation. Watch out for those canards on the shins and other notable items that we all have experienced here. ;)

Oh.. Don't forget to have a bottle of shock oil on hand (if you have).  

Thanks for the tips!  Shock oil tho?  You mean like suspension shocks like motorcycle fork oil?  Or is this a brand?  I need to do the same for my 1/60 VF-1S shoulders.  I haven't broken them yet surprisingly.  I was going to attempt to take them apart and lightly sand them, but perhaps this shock oil trick will help.

2 minutes ago, Pontus said:

Thanks for the tips!  Shock oil tho?  You mean like suspension shocks like motorcycle fork oil?  Or is this a brand?  I need to do the same for my 1/60 VF-1S shoulders.  I haven't broken them yet surprisingly.  I was going to attempt to take them apart and lightly sand them, but perhaps this shock oil trick will help.

Shock oil will be available at you local hobby store that sells RC parts (for stiff coil springs) any car parts store that sells it. I think that you can use motorcycle fork oil, just be sure that it doesn't dissolve the metal or the surrounding areas.

Keep in mind, the DXs tend to loosen up pretty quickly.  I didn't need to use any oil or anything.  While the hips were tight, they loosened up after a few transformations.  One of my shoulders is already getting a bit too loose for my liking.  If you use any kind of oil, you'll be accelerating this process, so do so at your own risk (of course, not using anything has risks of its own).

IMG_20190119_181117.thumb.jpg.2beca9a8c764c8a41532568bd05f6081.jpg

Transformed and handled mine a bit today.  I think the army cannon is definitely one of the best single accessories for any Macross valk.

• 2 weeks later...

IT ARRIVED!  :yahoo: And my head cannon was broken, but I don't mind.  The hips were completely immobile, but I just loosened the screws.  And the glue failed on the orange arm cannon cover.  I didn't have much probs transforming it.  I had the same problem as others with a stiff spine cover (?) but you just have to press a finger behind the head and squeeze the backpack together.  It also seemed to help having the head slid back far enough.

IMG_20190130_002319.thumb.jpg.fad7eb7a43653c68cb67206380f6a9d4.jpg

Do Bandai DX joints generally get really loose the more you play with it or stay relatively stiff enough to still hold poses? I want to play with it more but a little reluctant due to fear of joint looseness. My Yamato 1/60 YF-21 couldn't even stand on its own after a while :( How about Arcadia VF-1 toys (might as well ask lol)? Thanks guys!

1 hour ago, Foblander said:

Do Bandai DX joints generally get really loose the more you play with it or stay relatively stiff enough to still hold poses? I want to play with it more but a little reluctant due to fear of joint looseness. My Yamato 1/60 YF-21 couldn't even stand on its own after a while :( How about Arcadia VF-1 toys (might as well ask lol)? Thanks guys!

All joints get loose when you play with them.  The trick is to move slow when you move them . It will stay tighter longer that way.  You also don’t want it to stay at one pose for a long time without support. 

2 hours ago, Foblander said:

Eventually they do. So do enjoy them while it last. ^_^ 

7 hours ago, F360 said:

All joints get loose when you play with them.  The trick is to move slow when you move them . It will stay tighter longer that way.  You also don’t want it to stay at one pose for a long time without support.

Thanks for the tip! Also, what do you mean posing without support?

10 minutes ago, Foblander said:

Thanks for the tip! Also, what do you mean posing without support?

F360 meant that even if you let it stay in one pose for a long time make sure you use a support just like how they display these figures in those glass showcase in Akihabara. They added that small arm stand as a support.

DjGFUpjU4AAXmVd.jpg.4399e8332bdbf8be7f91fff5524e1c8e.jpg

3 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

F360 meant that even if you let it stay in one pose for a long time make sure you use a support just like how they display these figures in those glass showcase in Akihabara. They added that small arm stand as a support.

DjGFUpjU4AAXmVd.jpg.4399e8332bdbf8be7f91fff5524e1c8e.jpg

Oh wow. So just leaving it standing over time (without support of a stand) will actually weaken the joints over time. I had no idea. 

2 minutes ago, Foblander said:

Oh wow. So just leaving it standing over time (without support of a stand) will actually weaken the joints over time. I had no idea. 

Actually, I had no idea too that it does that over time even though it has diecast and all. But since these babies are super expensive, I think it wouldn't hurt to use one, right? ^_^

46 minutes ago, Foblander said:

well, it can, do to gravity? the heavier the item the harder it's on the hip/angle  joints over time I guess. :)

But I'm sure that stand in the back is just to support the VF-1J so it doesn't accidentally fall over. ^_^

What i was talking about is more extreme poses , examples like with arms stretching out pointing a heavy long weapon.  over time the weight of the arm and weapon will loosen the shoulder joints , just imaging yourself holding a rifle and pointing it with 1 arm, surely you would not be able to hold that for long.  But if you bring it closer and support it with your other arm, you can do that for a really long time.  

For a dx chogokin, the weight is mostly on the legs, so when you post it with it's leg dangling :lol:  in mid air with the stand up it's behind, then over time the weight of the leg will start to effect the hip or knee joints.  

On 1/30/2019 at 8:51 PM, F360 said:

well, it can, do to gravity? the heavier the item the harder it's on the hip/angle  joints over time I guess. :)

But I'm sure that stand in the back is just to support the VF-1J so it doesn't accidentally fall over. ^_^

What i was talking about is more extreme poses , examples like with arms stretching out pointing a heavy long weapon.  over time the weight of the arm and weapon will loosen the shoulder joints , just imaging yourself holding a rifle and pointing it with 1 arm, surely you would not be able to hold that for long.  But if you bring it closer and support it with your other arm, you can do that for a really long time.  

For a dx chogokin, the weight is mostly on the legs, so when you post it with it's leg dangling :lol:  in mid air with the stand up it's behind, then over time the weight of the leg will start to effect the hip or knee joints.  

Okay I see what you mean. Good thing my Valks are all in boring standing positions. Lol Thanks for clarifying :)

On 1/30/2019 at 10:42 AM, Foblander said:

Yes specifically with ball joints on Bandai DX valks. They don't use washers to increase friction, it's all  direct contact from the ball joint to the socket. 

So i need to pack up my yf-19 back to the book for a couple of months and i was thinking about the issue with the hread lasers breaking. I want to make sure i don't pack it back up in a way that will break the headlaser. How exactly is the head laser breaking while in the box? Is it simply by chance or is it the way it is packed?

10 minutes ago, Sandman said:

So i need to pack up my yf-19 back to the book for a couple of months and i was thinking about the issue with the hread lasers breaking. I want to make sure i don't pack it back up in a way that will break the headlaser. How exactly is the head laser breaking while in the box? Is it simply by chance or is it the way it is packed?

There's a small clearance between the head laser and the plastic tray. So what happens is that the moment the box gets thrown during transit, there's a chance that the head laser bump hard on the plastic tray. Now if you already have it, I advise not to put anything heavy on top of your DX YF-19 box. If it's possible, put your YF-19 on top of all your box stocks.

21 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Supposedly you can pull out the head laser. If that is true then that may be the safest bet. 

5 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

There's a small clearance between the head laser and the plastic tray. So what happens is that the moment the box gets thrown during transit, there's a chance that the head laser bump hard on the plastic tray. Now if you already have it, I advise not to put anything heavy on top of your DX YF-19 box. If it's possible, put your YF-19 on top of all your box stocks.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah i was definately not going to put anything on top. I wonder if it's save to put on it's side? When putting it back in the tray with the plastic wrap. I noticed the wrap really cramps up the space inside the tray. I'm super paranoid about breaking this thing.

1 minute ago, Foblander said:

Supposedly you can pull out the head laser. If that is true then that may be the safest bet. 

I know i've done that with vf-25A but that one came with a hard head laser to swap out with so i knew for sure it came out. Knowing that it was still scary yanking on the head laser to pull it off.

54 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I know i've done that with vf-25A but that one came with a hard head laser to swap out with so i knew for sure it came out. Knowing that it was still scary yanking on the head laser to pull it off.

16 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Before you try to pull out the YF-19's head laser, let's wait for a confirmation from anyone here who tried to pull it out. ;) 

Check out @Xigfrid's post back in October 4th, 2018 on page 101 (head laser replacement instructions). :) 

1 hour ago, Foblander said:

58 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Dut through the thread for it:

It pops right out apparently, snaps back in.

The other (possible) alternative is if you're packing it back up... is to put the tray holding the yf-19 under the trays with the accessories. I can't exactly recall the arrangement for the accessory tray but (i guess) try to position the trays where there would be ample space/clearance of the head laser. 

• 1 month later...

Finally sold my original 10-year-old Yammie and just busted this guy open. Absolutley loving it, but it does feel somewhat thinner than the original animation model. Mine was fortunately QC issue free and transforming it back into fighter mode eliminated all the gaps. As many have mentioned, the wings do get a little floppy and I do fear for the longevity of the metal ball joints. (Not sure why Bandai doesn't use the same super-solid and durable metal ball joints they use in their Digivolving Spitits figures, which are essentially a metal ball with a PVC/POM socket.) Poseabilty is phenomenal as expected.

20190307_154454.thumb.jpg.2b7559e77a0939487adcf4ca0322058b.jpg

Out of curiosity, is there such a thing as a canon or default loadout configuration? This bird comes with so many bits and bobs that I'm spoiled for choice...

20190307_165911.thumb.jpg.a99d1b195e213fbdac3413a9198d5dec.jpg

Congratulations on your 19! Even tho the left back fin was a minor irritatant, if you got urs QC free then you must be extra happy!

thats the awesome thing abt this release that it gives you so much options. But if ur asking abt the default config, I suspect the full set 19 release is to mimic the cover of ‘this is animation macross plus’ with all the loadouts laid out on the tarmac.

There isn’t one particular default configuration for me though.

I do fear for the longevity of the metal ball joints. (Not sure why Bandai doesn't use the same super-solid and durable metal ball joints they use in their Digivolving Spitits figures, which are essentially a metal ball with a PVC/POM socket.) Poseabilty is phenomenal as expected.

If you're worried because the hips are really stiff, I highly recommend loosening up the socket by removing the leg and loosening the 2 screws on the socket inside slightly by steps until it feels more maneuverable.  This made mine go from feeling like I was going to break it if I moved it to being perfectly flexible yet pose-able.  I wouldn't recommend leaving it as is if you plan on moving those hips at all because the plastic around the hip on the leg looks like it would have broken on mine if I had forced it.

If you're worried because the hips are really stiff, I highly recommend loosening up the socket by removing the leg and loosening the 2 screws on the socket inside slightly by steps until it feels more maneuverable.  This made mine go from feeling like I was going to break it if I moved it to being perfectly flexible yet pose-able.  I wouldn't recommend leaving it as is if you plan on moving those hips at all because the plastic around the hip on the leg looks like it would have broken on mine if I had forced it.

Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah, that did help some, though what I was originally worried about is the metal joints becoming loose over time, like what happened with the other DX Bandais.

Did anyone else's YF-19s come with gouges on the side of the waist? I was actually afraid that they were from my mishandling of the figure's waist joints and legs, but some of them seem to have been there already when I got the figure...

20190312_150100.thumb.jpg.da368561bffc84b0b3147324443f18f6.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah, that did help some, though what I was originally worried about is the metal joints becoming loose over time, like what happened with the other DX Bandais.

Did anyone else's YF-19s come with gouges on the side of the waist? I was actually afraid that they were from my mishandling of the figure's waist joints and legs, but some of them seem to have been there already when I got the figure...

First time I've seen that. Though to be honest, that does look like something that would result from mishandling, especially when posing the legs and transforming it. But I think the amount of force needed to make those dents would have been significant.

Mine came with a little out the box. It was definitely not from mishandling. 

Do you have any photos of when you opened the box initially? Where did you purchase yours from?

I'm in the process of returning one of these to Amazon.jp as it had the same type of  damage on it, along with the opposite leg that had been snapped off at the top of the intake. It was sold to me as new, but the box had been opened and the trays were in the wrong order.  All the evidence points to someone returning it as new after screwing up while trying to swing the legs into position.  I thought it was manufacturing defect as well until I started transformation on mine and the leg fell off.