BANDAI DX YF-19!!

seti88

18 minutes ago, skex said:

Can anyone give me a bit of advice on whether getting the YF-19 Full Set for around $280 USD is a decent deal? I've only recently come back to collecting a select few valks and would definitely like to replace the Yamato I sold around 10 years ago. I just don't know if this will inevitably go up in value or if there's another rerelease coming or what. Thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, yman1437 said:

Many online stores from Japan are still selling for 25000 yen....so you can do the math

Just before the on-line purchase overhaul from Jungle started (still ongoing as of right now and will last will next week?), the DX YF-19 Full Set was going for roughly 25k-ish yen. The price might go higher once everything is up and running.

I don't know about from Proxies (FromJapan, Buyee, etc..)

1 hour ago, yman1437 said:

Many online stores from Japan are still selling for 25000 yen....so you can do the math

Thanks! Can you point me in the direction of a good one that ships to the US for a decent price? I've never ordered from Japan before other than I believe Amazon a couple of times.

10 minutes ago, skex said:

Thanks! I've heard of this site but apparently they won't quote shipping. Any idea of ballpark figure from EMS or DHL? Anything around 20 bucks is still a much better deal than ebay.

Are you in US? My guess will br around 4000-4500 yen by EMS

11 minutes ago, skex said:

Thanks! I've heard of this site but apparently they won't quote shipping. Any idea of ballpark figure from EMS or DHL? Anything around 20 bucks is still a much better deal than ebay.

EMS/DHL will probably be around $40?

You could buy the one Shizuka's selling on the For Trade/Sell forum. $280 incl shipping within the US.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

14 minutes ago, skex said:

Mandarake’s shipping is a bit pricey. Last Valk I ordered was a DX 31 and it was 5000 yen for the cheapest option (SAL). The 19 should weigh more so I’m thinking $45-$50 to ship. 

16 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

EMS/DHL will probably be around $40?

You could buy the one Shizuka's selling on the For Trade/Sell forum. $280 incl shipping within the US.

So that comes back to the question on whether that's a reasonable deal based on the likelihood the figure is going to up in price over time anyway. What was it at launch for US buyers? 220 shipped?

36 minutes ago, skex said:

So that comes back to the question on whether that's a reasonable deal based on the likelihood the figure is going to up in price over time anyway. What was it at launch for US buyers? 220 shipped?

Around $220-$240 shipped, and that's with slow shipping. Mine all took a good 3-4 weeks to show up (except the one from Amazon Japan).

1 hour ago, skex said:

I paid one that I have roughly with EMS for Y29570. That’s $260+/- in USD. And that is during PO. Both copy that I bought is Y25000 without shipping. So at $280 right now, that is already a good price. And also, I’m not going to worry about the price going up and down. It is what it is in this hobby. Nobody knows. The only thing that you can do at the end of the day is shake your head. ;)

4 hours ago, skex said:

I thing is, the price it launched or preordered doesn't matter anymore since you already missed that.  (its highers than $220 shipped)  

What you are looking at is the current going rate.

was your around $280 SHIPPED? or before shipping since that will offset around $40.

If its shipped then its a good price.

I have to admit, as nice as the DX Chogokin YF-19 is.... I sort of like my Arcadia slightly more. Mostly, it is because the DX's fold drive does not glow, and I think the back foot is too short. And I am not a fan of the New Edwards base initials painted on the DX's wing.

I ordered 2 of the DX YF-19's, mostly because I was afraid of having a vendor not being able to pull through, ala Nippon-Yassan's VF-31 debacle. So, I am very happy to have sold off my spare to @claude grant

If not for the arm cannon the DX has, I'd be tempted to sell off my remaining one. Weird, huh?

Anyways... Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I have a term paper on making the Poisson surface reconstruction phase of free-viewpoint video creation faster that I need to start writing.... and I am entrenched in writer's block. *SIGH*

I got mine for 30K + 3000 on SAL from NY, but thankfully no customs on it. I think they know how to do it properly there.

I got my second one from CDJ, 25k + 5800 EMS Shipping and then got charged customs cause they declared the full RRP of said toy. So i got royally screwed on that.

I didnt intend to buy two, I would be willing to sell my second one but yes unfortunately have to wait till prices go up just to break even, if it ever does. 

$280 with shipping at this stage is a fair price, assuming you dont get taxed of course.

Got mine back to Battroid.  Getting easier, all pegs in, thing of beauty.

But one again the fast pack arm just was not doing it for me no matter what method I tried.  I finally gave up and left him in "naked" fighter more.  still looks amazing but this whole fast past pegging business pisses me off.  One day I get it just right, the next, no force on earth can get it to align.  Frustrating to say the least.

On 11/22/2018 at 9:55 AM, Shizuka the Cat said:

I have to admit, as nice as the DX Chogokin YF-19 is.... I sort of like my Arcadia slightly more. Mostly, it is because the DX's fold drive does not glow, and I think the back foot is too short. And I am not a fan of the New Edwards base initials painted on the DX's wing.

I ordered 2 of the DX YF-19's, mostly because I was afraid of having a vendor not being able to pull through, ala Nippon-Yassan's VF-31 debacle. So, I am very happy to have sold off my spare to @claude grant

If not for the arm cannon the DX has, I'd be tempted to sell off my remaining one. Weird, huh?

Anyways... Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I have a term paper on making the Poisson surface reconstruction phase of free-viewpoint video creation faster that I need to start writing.... and I am entrenched in writer's block. *SIGH*

I just picked up a Yamato 1/60 VF-19S and it's pretty solid. Easy to transform, beefy proportions, and quite robust feeling. I don't know which one I like better, Yamato/Arcadia or Bandai. Lol Both awesome 

4 minutes ago, Foblander said:

I just picked up a Yamato 1/60 VF-19S and it's pretty solid. Easy to transform, beefy proportions, and quite robust feeling. I don't know which one I like better, Yamato/Arcadia or Bandai. Lol Both awesome 

It's a bit of a shame that Arcadia didn't re-do the -19 molds until they did the YF-19.

11 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

It's a bit of a shame that Arcadia didn't re-do the -19 molds until they did the YF-19.

AFAIK, Arcadia doesn't need to redo the VF-19 molds. It was the YF-19 that got the redoing to make it closer with the VF-19 molds. Yamato's VF-19 molds is different to the first Yamato's YF-19.

Edited by no3Ljm

53 minutes ago, Foblander said:

42 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Thought the Yammie VF-19's go loosey-goosey rather quickly. 

Especially the ankles or something.  Guess ymmv.

Can't verify since I never like nor bought any of the M7 VF-19's.

38 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

AFAIK, Arcadia doesn't need to redo the VF-19 molds. It was the YF-19 that got the redoing to make it closer with the VF-19 molds. Yamato's VF-19 molds is different to the first Yamato's YF-19.

Yeah.  Think Yamato somehow wanted to re-use their VF-19 moulds for the YF-19.

Which totally sucks.

Their original YF-19 design only needed some superficial stuff like eliminating/redesigning the neck-gullet and stuff.  It didn't really need the new ankles and other stuff from their VF-19 mould.

Oh, well.

3 hours ago, treatment said:

Yeah.  Think Yamato somehow wanted to re-use their VF-19 moulds for the YF-19.

Which totally sucks.

Their original YF-19 design only needed some superficial stuff like eliminating/redesigning the neck-gullet and stuff.  It didn't really need the new ankles and other stuff from their VF-19 mould.

Oh, well.

Aesthetics aside, the old YF-19 had some serious molding and material issues, and just didn't hold up very well over time.  Mine seemed to be manufactured from some of the same raw explodium used in the old VF-0 line.  Once the VF-19s came out, I hacked the heck out of mine to mod the nose section, and see if I couldn't make the side profile a little less offensive to look at.

In terms of design, the VF-19 base mold is superior to the old YF-19 in pretty much every way.  I don't think I've ever seen a single person say they prefer the original bow-legged YF-19 battroid to the newer mold.  The problem with the ankles is just purely in the implementation.  The design should have worked.. it just didn't, for whatever reason.  Then they went and screwed up the YF-19's intake and knee design, but that's a separate issue.

In an ideal world, I'd have a YF-19 with a mix of features from the Bandai and Arcadia, but I can't think of a single feature from the old YF-19 I'd want to carry over, except possibly the lack of high speed mode hinges in the wings. :p 

2 hours ago, optimuspint said:

So I got my 19 in today and it has the broken head laser.  Is there a prefered glue that you guys are using to put it back on?  

See below for glue, I usually use CA glue for small things, but it can get messy, and cement is a better option.  If the laser is broken off entirely, you may want to drill into both halves with a tiny pin-drill, and reinforce it with a segment of metal pin, or something like thin paperclip.

Edited by Chronocidal

54 minutes ago, optimuspint said:

So I got my 19 in today and it has the broken head laser.  Is there a prefered glue that you guys are using to put it back on?  

Tenax, Abroid ProWeld, Testors Liquid Cement; all of which are methylene chloride (acetates and methyl ethyl ketone in the case of Testors) based solvents for Styrene/ABS.  Stay away from glues, specially CA, as all you'll accomplish is to make a mess and ruing the part(s), and the repair WILL NOT hold up.

1.  Drill into both pieces if the broken antenna with a small diameter bit equal to the thickness of the pin to be used (see #2), trying to keep the holes as aligned as possible.

2.  Insert a piece of metal pin (seamstress pin works perfectly) into the hole of one of the pieces and then mate the whole thing onto the other piece, paying attention to maintain proper alignment.  Leave a small gap between the parts.

3.  Touch the brush applicator of the plastic weld, loaded with just a bit of liquid, to the gap so that capillary action carries the solvent in.  Push the two pieces together until you see a small amount of dissolved plastic ooze out of the break.  Keep the parts under slight pressure pushing the pieces together for a while until the oozed plastic is no longer tacky.  Let it cure overnight.

4.  Scrape, file, sand away the repair's resulting scar (the oozed plastic). Brush on a super thin coat of the plastic solvent over the repair and sanded areas, if necessary, to even-out the surface finish and let dry.  Polish the plastic to match the rest of the part.

5.  Done!

If performed correctly, the antenna will be stronger than new, won't need paint, and will look like it was never broken at all to anything but the most anal scrutiny.

Edited by mechaninac

I know this is a nitpick, but I find myself looking at the cockpit and thinking they could have put some kind of tiny tampo in there for screen details.  Am I greedy or unreasonable for thinking that?  No way I'd attempt it myself, but it would be cool since there's details on just about every other millimeter of this thing, including the pilots.

2 hours ago, onnasake said:

I know this is a nitpick, but I find myself looking at the cockpit and thinking they could have put some kind of tiny tampo in there for screen details.  Am I greedy or unreasonable for thinking that?  No way I'd attempt it myself, but it would be cool since there's details on just about every other millimeter of this thing, including the pilots.

You should have also included the landing gear which is not painted in white. ^_^

15 minutes ago, ErikElvis said:

How long before they re-release this minus the crappy wing writing?

I actually love all the markings of YF 19 it adds more personality to the whole figure(fighter, gerwalk, and Batroid) and also is like slap in the face to the ridiculous nonsense outrages prices of the Arcadia premium finishes valks. :D 

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:29 AM, onnasake said:

I very much prefer the bare diecast to painted.  I think it looks more like a plane's landing gears should look.

Coming from  a military aviation background, that's so counter to my experience. I like white painted gear, as it gives me that sense of realism over bare metal. Even the grey gears of Russian and Chinese would be painted, as the gear are one of the highest corrosion areas on the aircraft, not to mention they get absolutely filthy between carbon from the brakes, rubber from the tires, and all the dirt and dust accumulated from landings. I find it odd that Bandai imparts high end touches to other areas of their valk toys, and then just leaves the gears bare. Yamato, and now Arcadia win favor points from me in that area. Anyway, you like what you like, but it seems odd to me. :)

I love the markings on the Bandai. For me, this is like the toon accuracy debate among transformers fans. I would rather have a totally marked up toy than one that looks straight from a cell. I appreciate stickers being given as a compromise for people to only put the markings they prefer but since I don't do stickers, I'm in for everything being painted even if it's sometimes a bit extreme.

1 hour ago, jenius said:

I love the markings on the Bandai. For me, this is like the toon accuracy debate among transformers fans. I would rather have a totally marked up toy than one that looks straight from a cell. I appreciate stickers being given as a compromise for people to only put the markings they prefer but since I don't do stickers, I'm in for everything being painted even if it's sometimes a bit extreme.

I feel like this is beyond the issue of toon accuracy versus detail though, because those wing markings are just ducking fugly.  They have no basis in any line-art, animation, or real life example, and contrary to how tampo is supposed to enhance a product, I feel like the wing markings actively detract from it.

I'm all for more real-world detail, and the vast majority of the markings are fine, but those wing labels just make the entire plane look cockeyed, because they couldn't even bother to use the same reference line for the text on both wings.  They did the same thing with the Advance version, but the SMS markings were reasonably sized, and didn't cry out like an OCD air-raid siren.

I think the bare metal landing gear are just a purely Bandai thing though, and my impression is that they are going to cling to that inaccurate tidbit of nostalgia for the Chunky VF-1s until the end of time, no matter how obviously wrong it is.  They do seem to love hanging onto historical errors as if they were trademarks.

Edited by Chronocidal

Landing Gears. I also prefer Yamato's and Arcadia's take on the landing gear. I don't have a background of aeronautics nor an engineer. But it really just looks nice when it's in white than bare diecast color. So for me, it's either white or light grey. Because I see some photos of other fighter planes that have light grey for landing gears. ;) 

Tampo. I honestly like the tampos in this YF-19. The only thing that I think that it went overboard is those two big markings on the wings. Under than that, I think it was ok. And it really beats the price of a certain 'Premium Finish' Valkyrie. I only wish that if Bandai ended up doing the YF-21, hope that one will also have the same tampo amounts just to balance it out with the YF-19. I don't want them to lessen it nor adding it more. ^_^ 

• 2 weeks later...

So today I transformed the YF-19 from battroid to fighter.  Oh man, I was so excited...all the pieces and fast packs were lining up beautifully...maybe the best I've ever managed.  I attached the fold booster......

And I dropped the goddamn thing.  I DROPPED MY $300 toy.

After all the bullshit I've been through you'd think I'd be as careful as handling a Faberge egg but NOOOOOOOOOOO.

One of the green connectors that holds the Fold Booster snapped clean in half.  I tried gluing it but it just wouldn't hold.  I should count myself lucky that's all that broke.

aMr0RDZ.jpg?1

Clearly, I was never meant to own this toy.