BANDAI DX YF-19!!

seti88

19 minutes ago, onnasake said:

After 20 long years, since my first breathless viewing of Macross Plus, I finally own a fully transformable toy of the incredible YF-19.

The box was amazing.  The presentation of the toy and its parts are great.

I took it out...ever so carefully.  This is my very first Macross toy and I've heard how fragile they are. 

But I was gonna transform it.

What followed was perhaps the most frustrating, joyless, irritating four hours I've ever experienced with a toy. 

I'm sorry.  I'm definitely not reveling in your misery, but I can't help but chuckle about this.  I didn't exactly fume with hatred when I got my VF-19 Advance, but you describe a very similar experience to mine.

The Bandai VF-19 transformation is truly joyless as you say.  Like you, I found the figure just inherently unpleasant to handle, and getting everything lined up and pegged in appropriately is a augean task.  My VF-19 Advance has been changed to battloid mode two or three times total, and not at all in the current year.  Ever since the last time I tortured myself, it remains in jet mode.  When I want to transform a 19, I haul out my Arcadia YF-19, because the transformation, while complicated, isn't the clustermess the Bandai version is.

Like you, I waited 20 years for a 19.  The day the VF-19 Advance got here was an extremely happy one.  If you haven't already, I highly recommend watching a transformation video on YouTube, because I've found fan made transformation videos universally superior to modern included instructions for transformable toys.

Edited by GabrielV

30 minutes ago, onnasake said:

Well I bitched and moaned and cried like a spoiled child cause I had to wait 24 hours for my stupid toy.

Be careful what you wish for.

After 20 long years, since my first breathless viewing of Macross Plus, I finally own a fully transformable toy of the incredible YF-19.

I took it out...ever so carefully.  This is my very first Macross toy and I've heard how fragile they are. 

What followed was perhaps the most frustrating, joyless, irritating four hours I've ever experienced with a toy.  The only reason this thing wasn't smashed to a fine plastic dust was cause I reminded myself over and over and over: "$300.  $300 frakking dollars a-hole."

As far as I know, there's no QC problems.  It's just the fiddliest frakking goddamn thing I've ever messed with and I own all the MP Transformers.

I got it halfway to Gerwalk and pieces were popping off left and right.  It was just this disgusting splayed out Cronenberg mess of a robot plane....horrible.  I panicked and just decided to TRYYYY to get it back into a plane.

Took well over 2 hours but I think I managed.  The tabs just will NOT. frakkING.  TAB.

Just when I got everything about as lined up as humanly possible without snapping everything and it was a plane again, I decided to put on the fast packs and fold booster, stick it on the shelf, and never touch it again until I die.   THE goddamn fast packs untabbed everything even worse!!!

RRRAGGGJHHHHH.......is this Macross collecting???  Or am I just THAT stupid?  If this is what it's like, why do it to yourselves??

Anyway, here it is right now but I'm so angry and frustrated I don't even wanna look at the goddamn thing.

DsQZuRy.jpg

Oh my.

I am inexperienced with anything beyond VF1s so I am a little worried about transforming mine. That's why I got two - one to display as a fighter and one that will be very carefully transformed into Battroid mode exactly once and displayed that way forever.

47 minutes ago, onnasake said:

Well I bitched and moaned and cried like a spoiled child cause I had to wait 24 hours for my stupid toy.

Be careful what you wish for.

What followed was perhaps the most frustrating, joyless, irritating four hours I've ever experienced with a toy.  The only reason this thing wasn't smashed to a fine plastic dust was cause I reminded myself over and over and over: "$300.  $300 frakking dollars a-hole."

As far as I know, there's no QC problems.  It's just the fiddliest frakking goddamn thing I've ever messed with and I own all the MP Transformers.

I got it halfway to Gerwalk and pieces were popping off left and right.  It was just this disgusting splayed out Cronenberg mess of a robot plane....horrible.  I panicked and just decided to TRYYYY to get it back into a plane.

Took well over 2 hours but I think I managed.  The tabs just will NOT. frakkING.  TAB.

Just when I got everything about as lined up as humanly possible without snapping everything and it was a plane again, I decided to put on the fast packs and fold booster, stick it on the shelf, and never touch it again until I die.   THE goddamn fast packs untabbed everything even worse!!!

RRRAGGGJHHHHH.......is this Macross collecting???  Or am I just THAT stupid?  If this is what it's like, why do it to yourselves??

Anyway, here it is right now but I'm so angry and frustrated I don't even wanna look at the goddamn thing.

DsQZuRy.jpg

This makes me not want to open up my YF-19 when it arrrives. I don't have that many hours to spend transforming a toy and being fustrated >< 

10 minutes ago, SuperHobo said:

If the transformation is giving you trouble, I echo the sentiments about watching a video review with the transformation to help guide you through tricky parts that might not be clear in the instructions booklet. 

This.  I've never attempted a transformation of a new (to me) valk design without watching a video first.  To do otherwise is just inviting frustration and possibly damage to your toy, imo.

The Bandai VF-19 Advance transformation videos should be nearly identical to the Bandai yf-19, so just use those until someone gets a Bandai yf-19 one out.

I see that the head cover in fighter  mode is no longer attach to the shield I think, somebody can confirm this ?, in the Advance VF 19 it is a whole detachable piece (cover and shield) and the Arcadia one is just a detachable cover , I hope is integrated with the transformation that would be totally new for the YF 19. 

26 minutes ago, Alex GS said:

I see that the head cover in fighter  mode is no longer attach to the shield I think, somebody can confirm this ?, in the Advance VF 19 it is a whole detachable piece (cover and shield) and the Arcadia one is just a detachable cover , I hope is integrated with the transformation that would be totally new for the YF 19. 

The head shield is still attached. If you watch the official videos it explains how to stow it correctly.

For those complaining about how frustraiting this toy is to transform. Well, it is not a regular toy that you can play with like the early Macross 7 toys from Bandai. This new line of DX toys involves complex engineering, and thus it takes a bit of study to transform them specially the YF-19. Reading the instructions is mandatory, unfortunately it is in japanese. Fortunately there are videos from Bandai of how to transform it step by step. But I recommend to wait for Anymoon’s video, he gives you every detail of the toy. There should be a video from him of the VF-19 Advance which is the same toy, that should be enough to go through transforming it without breaking it apart.

30 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

The head shield is still attached. If you watch the official videos it explains how to stow it correctly.

Yes you are right , for one moment I thought this was going to be different , I saw the video a few moments ago and saw how some smalls covers where hiding the attachment of the head cover and shield, definitely forgot about this part and pretty sure other parts as well . 

1 hour ago, nightmareB4macross said:

That new heel for the YF-19 does not look good next to the VF-19Advance. But oh well what’s done is done.

Yeah. I think Bandai knows. In the anime they drew the feet to suit the form it was in so chunky battroid/gerwalk and smaller/slimmer for fighter mode. In this case it looks like they adapted the styling of the former two and neglected the profile in fighter mode. A lot of the marketing material highlights how well battroid mode looks with the new arm cannon and feet. Seemed to be the focus this time around.

1 hour ago, GabrielV said:

I'm sorry.  I'm definitely not reveling in your misery, but I can't help but chuckle about this.  I didn't exactly fume with hatred when I got my VF-19 Advance, but you describe a very similar experience to mine.

The Bandai VF-19 transformation is truly joyless as you say.  Like you, I found the figure just inherently unpleasant to handle, and getting everything lined up and pegged in appropriately is a augean task.  My VF-19 Advance has been changed to battloid mode two or three times total, and not at all in the current year.  Ever since the last time I tortured myself, it remains in jet mode.  When I want to transform a 19, I haul out my Arcadia YF-19, because the transformation, while complicated, isn't the clustermess the Bandai version is.

Like you, I waited 20 years for a 19.  The day the VF-19 Advance got here was an extremely happy one.  If you haven't already, I highly recommend watching a transformation video on YouTube, because I've found fan made transformation videos universally superior to modern included instructions for transformable toys.

The VF-19 advance was my first Macross toy since the 1/48 yammies and what started my collecting again, but man was it a frustrating thing to transform.  I could never get the wings to tab back into fighter properly and just left it in battroid mode.  Eventually less than year later I sold it.   Here’s hoping I have more fun with the YF-19.

1 hour ago, MacrossMania said:

AmiAmi is a store?  I thought everything just existed in the ethereal firmament of the internet void.

I visit there every time when I travel to tokyo:p

Still waiting amazon to ship my YF19, seems the preorder opened on Friday are actually not yet in stock?

6 minutes ago, CRYO said:

I visit there every time when I travel to tokyo:p

Still waiting amazon to ship my YF19, seems the preorder opened on Friday are actually not yet in stock?

I never saw it there. Is it in Akihabara? I must’ve missed it though I did see the VF-19 on display somewhere in 2015, I just don’t remember the shop.

Well.....it's just there staring at me so I tried again, this time watching anymoon's Advance video.

My favorite step was "OK, essentially BREAK the stupid thing by shoving the torso around the nosecone."

I can't believe I didn't snap this thing in half.  I had it in an actual gangly Battroid mode for a minute, but now I have the added pleasure of stress marks.  Great.

I actually started to click "return" on amazon but I decided to get back into fighter mode.

Siiiiiigh.  I don't know.  I'm so conflicted.   It's a fiddly goddamn ball of rage and blister inducing frustration.   BUT.....it's the YF-19.  And in fighter mode, without those dumb fast packs that don't even fit, it really does look lovely.

It's only been a few hours.  I'm probably just being rash.   I'll wait and see how I feel later.

11 minutes ago, onnasake said:

Well.....it's just there staring at me so I tried again, this time watching anymoon's Advance video.

My favorite step was "OK, essentially BREAK the stupid thing by shoving the torso around the nosecone."

I can't believe I didn't snap this thing in half.  I had it in an actual gangly Battroid mode for a minute, but now I have the added pleasure of stress marks.  Great.

I actually started to click "return" on amazon but I decided to get back into fighter mode.

Siiiiiigh.  I don't know.  I'm so conflicted.   It's a fiddly goddamn ball of rage and blister inducing frustration.   BUT.....it's the YF-19.  And in fighter mode, without those dumb fast packs that don't even fit, it really does look lovely.

It's only been a few hours.  I'm probably just being rash.   I'll wait and see how I feel later.

oh damn....so, which of the dx macross are actually fun to transform?

i usually keep mine in fighter mode an just admire the darn thing. this may sound blasphemous...but is it so bad to jus buy a proper kit and display them in the different forms?

11 minutes ago, Numbninja said:

oh damn....so, which of the dx macross are actually fun to transform?

i usually keep mine in fighter mode an just admire the darn thing. this may sound blasphemous...but is it so bad to jus buy a proper kit and display them in the different forms?

The 25 and derivatives including the 30 and 31 are fine.  The one-off DX’s all suck; 171, 262 and 19 are all terrible to transform.

1 minute ago, Mommar said:

The 25 and derivatives including the 30 and 31 are fine.  The one-off DX’s all suck; 171, 262 and 19 are all terrible to transform.

ok..thanx for that info..i really like the 31's and hope to get atleast 2 in the near future along with that beautiful vf-1j.

i might just get a few kits just to try my hands at them

8 minutes ago, Numbninja said:

ok..thanx for that info..i really like the 31's and hope to get atleast 2 in the near future along with that beautiful vf-1j.

i might just get a few kits just to try my hands at them

The kits don’t work the same as the toys.  The 262 kit is famously much easier and better designed than the over-engineered DX monster is.

1 minute ago, Pedro2k6 said:

If you think this thing its hard to transform....you have to try the SV-262.

for me the transformation of the DX SV-262 was one of the main attraction for getting that figure , so far I haven't transform my DX VF 19 and also haven't transform my Arcadia YF 19   only the Yamato one I have transformed, I'm just happy I have those beautiful engineered items, I mean just knowing and seeing how beautiful the jet or fighter mode looks and realize it also can transform into a robot that doesn't leave any remaining or make you think this was an airplane before  is really something special, so knowing this for me is no surprising why the transformation in this figures have a very high learning curve, I'm pretty sure  mostly everyone that goes ahead and buys this figures know exactly what they are getting into.

32 minutes ago, Pedro2k6 said:

If you think this thing its hard to transform....you have to try the SV-262.

But once you get the hang of it, it’s not that bad. 

From all the fighters I have the newest bearskins are always the hardest even if they are sometimes reprints. When I received the Arad VF-31 I swore it was’t this hard when I transformed the previous three. When I first transformed the 19Adv it seemed a bit difficult but definitely not daunting. I went back to look at the videos several times but all in all I did it and was very pleased with the outcome. Good this this new 19Exc will be the same.

I typically leave my valks in fighter lol 

If I go to the trouble of transforming one I leave it in that mode for the foreseeable future. 

As others have mentioned; always que up the corresponding anymoon transformation video and give yourself plenty of time. Time and patience is key. 

I just use the instructions and I never had any rage-inducing problem transforming any of the Bandai/Yamato/Arcadia valks. But I will admit that the only one that really gave me trouble from the Bandai valks was the single step of pegging the lock mechanism on the Sv-262 for gerwalk mode, but that was mostly because I was scared to apply too much force rather than not knowing how to do it. 

@nightmareB4macross The pic you posted was for the Arcadia YF-19. But you are correct about the hip position for the Bandai YF-19.

Lots of complaints on JP Twitter about various QC issues.

You can currently buy through Amazon JP for around 31K yen, with 1200 yen shipping to the USA. Be sure to purchase from a seller offering Prime shipping / fulfilled by Amazon, as other offers will not ship to the USA.

I just realized, the 19 Advance, with its lack of NETFC's all over, and non-ridiculous heels, actually looks more like Isamu's -19 in the OVA, than this release does...

Swap the ventral fins, and cover the SMS symbols with kites, and it's VERY close. 

Sigh, guess I'll just wait another decade for a really good new YF-19...   :(

9 hours ago, onnasake said:

*SNIP*

Out of the nearly hundred valkyrie toys I have, the VF-19 Advance is the only one that's made me want to hurl it into a wall. 

9 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

That new heel for the YF-19 does not look good next to the VF-19Advance. But oh well what’s done is done.

Good grief, those heel blocks really look awful next to the Advance heels. 

8 hours ago, MacrossMania said:

AmiAmi is a store?  I thought everything just existed in the ethereal firmament of the internet void.

They have two physical stores in Akihabara that I know of. 

4 hours ago, kazuo said:

Lots of complaints on JP Twitter about various QC issues.

Broken head laser isn't a QC issue. It's the result of poor packaging and some rough handling. Bandai packs everything so tightly there's no room for anything. This isn't the first DX to have this problem.