BANDAI DX YF-19!!

seti88

17 minutes ago, Bahamutzyro said:

This is the most dumbest idiotic way to sell merchandise. Y would anyone running any business think that they should limit the amount of income to a company by doing this dumb ass crap? Y do we have to waste our time praying we can pre order something??

Things "might" look differently in 2021 when HG is less in the picture and distribution channels "might" be more open. Then again it may not since its no skin off bandai's back for macross. :mellow:

Edited by seti88

1 hour ago, Bahamutzyro said:

This is the most dumbest idiotic way to sell merchandise. Y would anyone running any business think that they should limit the amount of income to a company by doing this dumb ass crap? Y do we have to waste our time praying we can pre order something??

I don't think it's idiotic on a business standpoint especially on a big company such as Bandai with lots of different lines/IPs. As others already mentioned, production capacity is most probably allocated / budgeted for example for this figure in advance for a set number of production quantity. Obviously the amount they set is something that would be profitable. They need to define a fixed amount since that same production capacity allocated might be used for another toy/figure line in their schedule. So if that's their production flow/schedule, and if their production schedule is tight, then a variable amount of figures to produce can mess up their production timeline which might also affect the production of other figures/lines.

They can also set the amount to higher numbers. However, Japanese Companies are usually risk averse so I believe they're content with having a modest profit as long as there's no excess or unsold inventories or production capacity wasted. I would assume that if they decide to a higher amount of figures, then that would mean more production capacity allocated for that figure. Now, if the orders don't meet the said quota (lesser orders),  I don't think they can just easily change their production timeline so that they can use the unused capacity for other products. Changing production timelines, requires significant man hours and resources to make the changes. They can choose not to change it, but again, the production capacity is wasted which also translates to a loss. So I see that they would want something more consistent with regards to production. Additionally, it's also possible that their schedule is just that tight, since Bandai produce/release a lot of lines or some other lines are more profitable so they have priority in production.

Another thing, is that their amount quota most probably reflects the Japanese market only or maybe includes the few places in which p-bandai or tamashii web is available. So those are markets that Bandai wants to cater for this particular line. Unfortunately, we are not that market, so we're excluded to any quota planning, etc. 

It sucks for us, but I think what Bandai is doing is just good business sense.

Edited by pafy6285

Hmmm since bandai does not receive extra income from the aftermarket prices increase, and that it seems that demand is higher than the actual production.... my guess in them doing their business like this is resource management.

Bandai has many many licences, so thousands of figures to sell. And these housands of figures have to be scheduled, planned and resources assigned through the year within a limited production and materials capacity.

So i think each produtc's run is not based on total demand, but instead on how much factory and materials availability they have, and how many of them can they make to have a profit and contribute to the annual company budget and still have time to produce all other figures.

Maybe the Kairos was sheduled between hot sellers so its window was very short and then QC limited even more.

order # 11983900 got the email, but order still there. Not holding my breath really, I guess I'm lucky enough to have the one I have after waking late for the pre order madness.

Edited by Loop

7 hours ago, mickyg said:

Thanks for this list TrickyCustomer!  Especially that Australian one.  The price is about $60 AUD higher than what you'd pay with HLJ for example (including Shipping charges) but as a "desperation charge" it's probably not terrible.

Glad I could help someone at least :)

7 hours ago, pafy6285 said:

I don't think it's idiotic on a business standpoint especially on a big company such as Bandai with lots of different lines/IPs. As others already mentioned, production capacity is most probably allocated / budgeted for example for this figure in advance for a set number of production quantity. Obviously the amount they set is something that would be profitable. They need to define a fixed amount since that same production capacity allocated might be used for another toy/figure line in their schedule. So if that's their production flow/schedule, and if their production schedule is tight, then a variable amount of figures to produce can mess up their production timeline which might also affect the production of other figures/lines.

They can also set the amount to higher numbers. However, Japanese Companies are usually risk averse so I believe they're content with having a modest profit as long as there's no excess or unsold inventories or production capacity wasted. I would assume that if they decide to a higher amount of figures, then that would mean more production capacity allocated for that figure. Now, if the orders don't meet the said quota (lesser orders),  I don't think they can just easily change their production timeline so that they can use the unused capacity for other products. Changing production timelines, requires significant man hours and resources to make the changes. They can choose not to change it, but again, the production capacity is wasted which also translates to a loss. So I see that they would want something more consistent with regards to production. Additionally, it's also possible that their schedule is just that tight, since Bandai produce/release a lot of lines or some other lines are more profitable so they have priority in production.

Another thing, is that their amount quota most probably reflects the Japanese market only or maybe includes the few places in which p-bandai or tamashii web is available. So those are markets that Bandai wants to cater for this particular line. Unfortunately, we are not that market, so we're excluded to any quota planning, etc. 

In the end, you can give them any excuse you wish, it’s the dumbest business strategy ever. A business is a business and there’s only one goal, sell units n make profit.

i think you over estimate bandai’s size as well. They can very easily go the way Mattel which is borderline bankruptcy right now.

if u release a certain number of units, and they present out, y would u not release more? Second run. Bandai is already tooling the mood and producing. Pure dumbness.

13 hours ago, mickyg said:

Thanks for this list TrickyCustomer!  Especially that Australian one.  The price is about $60 AUD higher than what you'd pay with HLJ for example (including Shipping charges) but as a "desperation charge" it's probably not terrible.

Huh. I've never heard of that site before. Are they reliable? But man are they overpriced!

9 minutes ago, Silverstreak said:

Huh. I've never heard of that site before. Are they reliable? But man are they overpriced!

That’s what I said about loopaza and their initial stock of VF31-A. Look at it now lol *shrugs*

1 hour ago, Bahamutzyro said:

In the end, you can give them any excuse you wish, it’s the dumbest business strategy ever. A business is a business and there’s only one goal, sell units n make profit.

i think you over estimate bandai’s size as well. They can very easily go the way Mattel which is borderline bankruptcy right now.

if u release a certain number of units, and they present out, y would u not release more? Second run. Bandai is already tooling the mood and producing. Pure dumbness.

Second runs are a bad habit to cultivate, due to deflationary effects.
It will cause a wait and see approach (when expectations are set), and opens chances alternative purchases will lure folks away, while waiting for 2nd runs.

In a way, not closing the deal when you can.

Edited by seti88

8 hours ago, pafy6285 said:

That makes sense, but like you said, sucks for us Macross toy collectors...

Actually I would not panic over the current sold out situation for the YF-19. Stocks usually start popping up nearing the release date when retailers are given more stock. 

I’ll leave the panicking to September if there indeed is a shortage by then. For all we know the YF-19 may flood the market. 

But personally I prefer the metal build strike Gundam to flood. The PO prices are crazy now after a lot of collectors failed to PO a piece. 

3 hours ago, Bahamutzyro said:

You're sinking your own argument. If they could make more profit by making more units or releasing a second run then they would do so. The fact that they don't means that doing those things aren't profitable or aren't as profitable as manufacturing other items with those same resources.

Edited by Zx31

10 hours ago, pafy6285 said:

That is similar to my current theory why Bandai is unable or unwilling to produce more stock. Macross is a niche line in Bandais portfolio so they might not get more factory time because other, more important toy lines are already schedule after that (Gundam *cough cough*.

So Bandai might say to the Macross team you can have the factory to produce a batch of (imaginary number) 1000 Valkyries.

Additionally if they produces these items in batches and not single units you might run into a problem of overproducing a certain item. Say one batch is 1000 units and there is a total demand for 1500 units you produces 500 units of dead stock. Better sell all your stuff and keep the fanbase hyped/worried for every release. 

So the iPhone comparison earlier is not valid since Apple can produce much more units before market saturation sinks it. The iPhone is one of three major items Apple sells whereas Macross is one in 100 product lines that Bandai earns money with.

Arcadia, who probably rents factory space instead of owning them, are probably more flexible because they operate on a much smaller scale. They are pretty similar to a 3rd Party Transformers company.

To me that is a sound explanation for the DX Macross Valkyries. Now the question remains why other lines like the Gundam Metal Build sell out so fast. :)

2 minutes ago, Scyla said:

To me that is a sound explanation for the DX Macross Valkyries. Now the question remains why other lines like the Gundam Metal Build sell out so fast. :)

Most likely the same restrictions as DX figures. Those require a lot more resources to manufacture, the margins are probably smaller, and the demand is limited to collectors with the disposable income to afford them.

4 minutes ago, Zx31 said:

Most likely the same restrictions as DX figures. Those require a lot more resources to manufacture, the margins are probably smaller, and the demand is limited to collectors with the disposable income to afford them.

Yep, this is a likely possibility as well. 

I do get bahamutzyro's point, that in not supplying more it in itself becomes opportunity missed and sales lost. My point is in that its no skin off bandai's back. They don't want to be giving the impression that there will always be a 2nd wave. Since these are toys and not necessities, demand may not be there the 2nd time around.

We can speculate all we want, but unless we work in bandai, we can never b sure why there are limited stocks of macross.
Whether its a purposeful strategy, limitation or  difficulty in forecasting on bandai's part.

And therefore the how to solve it can never quite be addressed IMO.

And to why MB gundams sell out , that's just down to subjective taste (cutting edge design, etc), or you could argue more marketing on gundam.
Or the fact that its a mecha and made of metal! 

I for one do enjoy gundam, but would say i treasure my valks more.

Macross will be the last to go in a firesale..

1 hour ago, seti88 said:

I do get bahamutzyro's point, that in not supplying more it in itself becomes opportunity missed and sales lost. My point is in that its no skin off bandai's back. They don't want to be giving the impression that there will always be a 2nd wave. Since these are toys and not necessities, demand may not be there the 2nd time around.

We can speculate all we want, but unless we work in bandai, we can never b sure why there are limited stocks of macross.
Whether its a purposeful strategy, limitation or  difficulty in forecasting on bandai's part.

And therefore the how to solve it can never quite be addressed IMO.

These days I do wonder how many are made in each batch, for example, in last week's DX YF-19 with weapon set, I'll be really curious to find out if say 10,000 gets made in one batch or is it more like 5,000 or so.  The fanbase of collectors is small relative to the big hits such as Gundam and dragonball, but a Macross DX toy is probably more difficult to put together considering the transformation/paint/alignment requirements for a toy that has a 3-state transformation design.

Edited by rdrunner

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

That is similar to my current theory why Bandai is unable or unwilling to produce more stock. Macross is a niche line in Bandais portfolio so they might not get more factory time because other, more important toy lines are already schedule after that (Gundam *cough cough*.

So Bandai might say to the Macross team you can have the factory to produce a batch of (imaginary number) 1000 Valkyries.

Additionally if they produces these items in batches and not single units you might run into a problem of overproducing a certain item. Say one batch is 1000 units and there is a total demand for 1500 units you produces 500 units of dead stock. Better sell all your stuff and keep the fanbase hyped/worried for every release. 

So the iPhone comparison earlier is not valid since Apple can produce much more units before market saturation sinks it. The iPhone is one of three major items Apple sells whereas Macross is one in 100 product lines that Bandai earns money with.

Arcadia, who probably rents factory space instead of owning them, are probably more flexible because they operate on a much smaller scale. They are pretty similar to a 3rd Party Transformers company.

If apple released an iPhone X in a new color and it sold out, they would produce more just like in any business. Unless Bandai is trying to go out of business.

It makes zero sense not to produce more r why produce it at all? They know it’s sold out. Then open a second pre order. Period.

there is no logic whatsoever in any case to not produce any more.

If they were ONLY making DX Valks, then sure, cutting production and creating artificial scarcity would be dumb as sin. But Bandai probably doesn't have a single factory dedicated to just the production of Valks; they have to ration their time wisely, moving from one hot property to the next. They can only make so many before having to move on.

There's something to be said for Bandai having certainly enough capital to make more production facilities in order to better meet high demand, but until/unless they do, they'll have to make do and indeed are making do with the current business model.

43 minutes ago, Bahamutzyro said:

If apple released an iPhone X in a new color and it sold out, they would produce more just like in any business. Unless Bandai is trying to go out of business.

It makes zero sense not to produce more r why produce it at all? They know it’s sold out. Then open a second pre order. Period.

there is no logic whatsoever in any case to not produce any more.

In business and anything else , result is what matters .  They are getting the result they wanted , all is good at the house of Bandai.  Period.

besides they’re obviously doing something right or else you wont care if you were able to get in a preorder or not.  The fact that you are here talking about it already made them the winner.

also you only seem to be fucus on 1 product instead of the multiple other products that they also make in the same mecha category that will fight for the same customer money.  Customer A have only so much money and space .  Having a item getting sold out will give more opportunities to other product that the same customer might want or is indecisive on which.  Just like many people here buys valks and metal build Gundam, both by the same company , if they are short on cash they will only get 1 ( at macrossworld its 1 of each). Lol.

dont think too much into this,  at the end you can only buy what’s available anyways.

13 minutes ago, F360 said:

In business and anything else , result is what matters .  They are getting the result they wanted , all is good at the house of Bandai.  Period.

besides they’re obviously doing something right or else you wont care if you were able to get in a preorder or not.  The fact that you are here talking about it already made them the winner.

also you only seem to be fucus on 1 product instead of the multiple other products that they also make in the same mecha category that will fight for the same customer money.  Customer A have only so much money and space .  Having a item getting sold out will give more opportunities to other product that the same customer might want or is indecisive on which.  Just like many people here buys valks and metal build Gundam, both by the same company , if they are short on cash they will only get 1 ( at macrossworld its 1 of each). Lol.

dont think too much into this,  at the end you can only buy what’s available anyways.

It is actually multiple products and you can say all is good for Bandai but I’m sure all was good for Mattel, and toys r us, and all the company’s that went bankrupty because they couldn’t adjust to customer needs.

I’m not fixed on anything except that every time u want to order something from those clowns it’s a song and dance or some nonsense. I’ve bern buying for years but doesn’t change the fact that it’s poorly run at best.

2 minutes ago, Bahamutzyro said:

I’m sure all was good for Mattel, and toys r us, and all the company’s that went bankrupty because they couldn’t adjust to customer needs.

Mattel isn't going bankrupt.
ToysRUs isn't a toy manufacturer and didn't go bankrupt because of business practices, it went bankrupt because a venture capitalist firm bought it and loaded it with debt from other sources.

2 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Ok, I got lost. What are we talking about now? :unknw:

People not able to get a pre-order (at a decent cost) for the DX YF-19 and many other Bandai DX Valkyries. 

And the economics and theorized business practices related to that subject. :p

-b.

12 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

People not able to get a pre-order (at a decent cost) for the DX YF-19 and many other Bandai DX Valkyries. 

And the economics and theorized business practices related to that subject. :p

-b.

I see. I guess it's not a wonder now why I failed my economics class even though it's not my major. :p