BANDAI DX YF-19!!

seti88

7 hours ago, Pedro2k6 said:

We can still see (on Gwyn pics) the wing tab floating above the leg armor.

The display is probably just using the previous DX figure with UN Kites markings instead of SMS markings. And as most of the guys pointed out, there’s a probability that Bandai might not fix it (such as the split canopy, exposed wing tabs, etc.) maybe to save production cost. They’ll probably just replace the markings and call it a day. But atleast with this release, everything is included as a set. ^_^ 

2 hours ago, Mommar said:

I humbly submit.  I did not understand what you were referring to.

No worries. Most of the times, I’m having hard time composing what I really wanted to say. Esp the terms or descriptions that I’m using. :rolleyes:

Looking at all the extra's coming with this 19 release, I hope that bandai still would include the punch effects found in the DX advanced.

It would be more relevant for the actual 19, seeing how fists were used in the fight against the 21.

...and what are the odds of including a arm armament unit too!

Edited by seti88

1 hour ago, anime52k8 said:

I can't remember, did the VF-19ADVANCE have an option for a second seat? because I can see one on the YF-19.

According to... jenius? (god I keep forgetting, sorry):

"The Arcadia toy has the ability to convert into a two-seat configuration which is inexplicably missing from the Bandai toy. It will be interesting to see if Bandai changes this for the likely YF-19 variant. They did paint a warning next to what would be the second pilot seat so someone in the organization thought this would be a two seat craft."

---

Immediately after that, he continues (and others have pointed this out here, too), "Bandai opted to not connect the top of the wings to the leg fast packs in fighter mode which is clearly wrong."

Is it, though? I know the way the toy is designed the wing pegs into the leg, and the Fast pack doesn't have a similar slot for said peg, so it's left exposed. But is that peg vital to maintaining the integrity of the toy in fighter mode? Do the legs flop out of place otherwise? I'd imagine that removing the peg altogether would allow for a more flush fit with Supers on and minimal impact to fitment with Supers off. Or maybe make the peg retractable or hinged...

56 minutes ago, anime52k8 said:

I can't remember, did the VF-19ADVANCE have an option for a second seat? because I can see one on the YF-19.

The VF-19Adv did not have provisions for the second seat. The whole nose section right up to the sliding joint would need a redesign in order to be a true YF-19. And Bandai would be remiss if they did not update the mold for the YF-19, because simply giving us a Repaint would not be a smart move. They would alienate a lot of fans if they did that, especially given how premium toy collectors demand screen accuracy. 

3 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Immediately after that, he continues (and others have pointed this out here, too), "Bandai opted to not connect the top of the wings to the leg fast packs in fighter mode which is clearly wrong."

Is it, though? I know the way the toy is designed the wing pegs into the leg, and the Fast pack doesn't have a similar slot for said peg, so it's left exposed. But is that peg vital to maintaining the integrity of the toy in fighter mode? Do the legs flop out of place otherwise? I'd imagine that removing the peg altogether would allow for a more flush fit with Supers on and minimal impact to fitment with Supers off. Or maybe make the peg retractable or hinged...

So, the fast packs are flat out impossible as animated.  They phase clean through the wings when they open to launch the leg-mounted missiles.

However, a clean shot of the attachment point shows the wings are flush with the leg, and there's no gap.  The wings sit right against the tails.

5a250810d9923_ss(2017-12-04at12_26.08).jpg.690ad4a2ebb3e3de8ae048e916d4af95.jpg5a25086dc358e_ss(2017-12-04at12_33.28).jpg.214d2f6c263e54bf2decbc33b15466e4.jpg

Obviously that doesn't work in real life, because the wing roots can't magically get wider to fill the gap when the legs drop.  Yamato and Arcadia filled that space by having the wing roots snap into the upper edge of the packs, while Bandai didn't bother, and just left the wingroot hanging in open air with the pack below it.

Which one's more accurate?  I don't think it matters nearly as much as which one looks the least ugly, and Bandai kinda failed there.  Removing that tab won't do anything, because no matter if it's there or not, the wing is not going to fill the gap left by the pack being too low. 

Unless you can magically grow the wing roots to fill that gap, the pack is the only way it's getting filled, and if you do that, you may as well plug the wing into it to keep things sturdy.

Know what I'd love to see?  Literally ANY company getting the black stripe down the spine the correct size. Arcadia's was a bit too wide, and dipped below the canards, but was still not too bad, and looked right from the top.. Bandai's is just stupidly wide, too low on the fuselage, and flares out from the way they shaped the fuselage. <_< 

Edited by Chronocidal

7 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Obviously that doesn't work in real life, because the wing roots can't magically get wider to fill the gap when the legs drop.  Yamato and Arcadia filled that space by having the wing roots snap into the upper edge of the packs, while Bandai didn't bother, and just left the wingroot hanging in open air with the pack below it.

Which one's more accurate?  I don't think it matters nearly as much as which one looks the least ugly, and Bandai kinda failed there.  Removing that tab won't do anything, because no matter if it's there or not, the wing is not going to fill the gap left by the pack being too low. 

Unless you can magically grow the wing roots to fill that gap, the pack is the only way it's getting filled, and if you do that, you may as well plug the wing into it to keep things sturdy.

It's probably impossible to get "accurate" with this particular design. As for looks, though, I guess the Advance doesn't look as good as either the Yamcadia toys in that area, but what gap is there isn't that significant, methinks. And I can't shake the feeling that the tab IS preventing the wing root from directly contacting the leg/fast pack. But then I don't have the Advance toy, so it's a wash either way for me.

7 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Know what I'd love to see?  Literally ANY company getting the black stripe down the spine the correct size. Arcadia's was a bit too wide, and dipped below the canards, but was still not too bad, and looked right from the top.. Bandai's is just stupidly wide, too low on the fuselage, and flares out from the way they shaped the fuselage. <_< 

Wow, that's spot on. I didn't notice it until you mentioned it, but now that I do, I can't NOT notice it, it's so garish. That's such a strange thing to screw up that badly.

The YF/VF-19 is one of my favorite hero mecha of any anime. Maybe it's a nostalgia thing. I have 2 VF-31 toys, which are superior to my Bandai VF-19 Advance in every conceivable way, yet there's always the appeal of the YF-19.

I have one VF-19 Advance, I LOVE the mold, flaws and all, and I would LOVE to get another one but it's so expensive. I happily welcome a YF-19 repaint of the VF-19 so I can get another of this mold at a less-than-$400 price.

I don't really NEED too many mold changes. All I ask for is a cockpit that opens like the YF-19; 2 halves, rear half opening with the hinge at the back, front half with the hinge at the front. The Arcadia YF-19 opens like this, but the nose cone droops! 

4 minutes ago, recon said:

With the news of the impending release of the dx chogokin YF-19, maybe its time i let go of my VF-19 advance cos i always preferred the original YF-19. Also hope that bandai would consider making a YF-21 and VF-11b

Man I would love a 11 and 21!

5 hours ago, valhary said:

looks 2 seats to me

27-4.jpg

I like the extra panel detail added to the Fold Booster. Though I'm sure this one doesn't light up like Yamato's. ^_^

And yes, this one still have the exposed wing tabs. Bummer. <_<

On 12/1/2017 at 8:12 AM, Scyla said:

If this is the same mold as the VF-19Advance I’ve no interest in it. Maybe if they release it in light blue as VF-19A.

:)

I totally want the blue raven's scheme. Sooner see that than another standard yf-19. I like that scheme so much that it's the only reason I've held on the yamato 1/72 toy.

On 12/3/2017 at 7:00 AM, Pedro2k6 said:

We can still see (on Gwyn pics) the wing tab floating above the leg armor.

Oh that is lame. I can't believe they let that go to production like that. It seems like it would be an easy fix for them to add a couple of notches to insert those tabs into.

4 hours ago, kajnrig said:

It's probably impossible to get "accurate" with this particular design. As for looks, though, I guess the Advance doesn't look as good as either the Yamcadia toys in that area, but what gap is there isn't that significant, methinks. And I can't shake the feeling that the tab IS preventing the wing root from directly contacting the leg/fast pack. But then I don't have the Advance toy, so it's a wash either way for me.

So while I'm not sure the tab is actually necessary, I do know that it keeps things nicely aligned in fighter mode, and I'd be hesitant to remove that point of connection.  The fact that it's one of the tightest fitting tabs on the entire thing makes me think there's stress on it from somewhere, and it needs that point to secure the wings.  It might be interesting to see how one holds up without that tab.  Has anyone here wound up either breaking off or cutting that tab on purpose?

As far as the tab preventing the wings from connecting though, I can pretty much guarantee it's not the case.  The tabs are floating in open air left by the leg dropping.  What's happening is that the sloped side panel of the leg is lowering from the leg dropping down to accommodate the packs, and in order to get the wing gloves to connect with the leg again, they would need to rotate inwards impossibly far.  The cross-section of the legs on the Bandai is also a bit more rounded than the Arcadia version, making the gap even more pronounced.

There is a functional trade off though as well here, and it's something Bandai's does that Arcadia can't, and the old Yamato never attempted.  Because the leg packs aren't connected to the wings, they can swing open to deploy the missiles in the legs like the animation shows. 

So, it's pretty much a trade off no matter how you slice it.  Either the packs are locked into the wing gloves, and keep things extra sturdy, or the wing gloves hang free, and you get functioning leg bays.  This kind of thing is why I have multiples of both the Bandai and the Arcadia versions. :lol: 

Edit: Also to note.. they're still using the big honking shield with the attached neck cover and head shroud.. which, funny enough, isn't accurate to either the YF-19 or the VF-19 Advance. :rolleyes:  The big streamlining cover over the head just flat out doesn't exist in any animation of either plane. 

Also, while I think it's nice they tried to find a way to stash the neck cover in battroid mode, they should have just made the cover attach/detach instead of sticking permanently to the shield on that collapsing rail.  All they really accomplished is forcing you to carry an extra neck cover around in gerwalk mode.  The whole messy assembly has had me tempted to rip the sliding rail out of the shield and just use the gerwalk cover all the time.

Edited by Chronocidal

15 minutes ago, wmkjr said:

I did not know those were air intakes. Maybe they can squeeze in Aisha's one too down the line.

Pink Excalibur! Woot Woot! :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, Lord_Of_Tetris said:

Heh. I think the arrow is just pointing to the wrong thing at "Air intake."

Just so you know, Bandai doesn't make mistakes. :lol: 

1 hour ago, mechaninac said:

They redefine the paradigm...:unsure:^_^

They just cling to mistakes for 30 years hoping no one will actually notice.  Too bad for them, our pickiness has only increased over that time. :lol: 

I do have to say though, having decent orthographic renders of their YF-19 model is nice.  I can take those and build a completely functional CAD model out of them.  On the other hand, looking at that diagram, I never realized how incredibly bulbous and oversized they made the neck cover... it looks kinda ridiculous.

Edited by Chronocidal

31 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

They just cling to mistakes for 30 years hoping no one will actually notice.  Too bad for them, our pickiness has only increased over that time. :lol: 

The nerve of us consumers getting so them picky about accuracy and fidelity to source material, scale consistency, engineering excellence, materials quality, playability and articulation and accessories inclusion, product quality and resilience, and perceived value for the price charged...  :D

16 minutes ago, mechaninac said:

The nerve of us consumers getting so them picky about accuracy and fidelity to source material, scale consistency, engineering excellence, materials quality, playability and articulation and accessories inclusion, product quality and resilience, and perceived value for the price charged...  :D

To be fair, even macross isn't accurate to itself.

See: wide variations in the sizes of Zentradi and their vehicles.

I don't own the Advance but the CAD seems from a completely new toy to me. I remember the Advance's Battroid to be lankier, this shares more resemblance to Arcadia's proportions, more anime like? If that's the case, then Bandai's commitment to Mac+ is serious and we may see the 1/60 21 I've been waiting for all these years.

So, here's a crappy video of a recent Bandai Macross commercial:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1470780579701589&id=1072529709526680&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2FMechaAlliance%2Fvideos%2F1470780579701589%2F&_rdr

You can see the YF-21 and the VF-11 both appearing in it.

VF-11 YF-21.png

6 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

So, here's a crappy video of a recent Bandai Macross commercial:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1470780579701589&id=1072529709526680&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2FMechaAlliance%2Fvideos%2F1470780579701589%2F&_rdr

You can see the YF-21 and the VF-11 both appearing in it.

VF-11 YF-21.png

And they appear right after the DX logo. Good sign.