BANDAI DX YF-19!!

seti88

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

I like it so much I built fully transformable version of it from LEGO, taking a few liberties with shoulder articulation and coloration. If you squint, you can see it in my avatar.

That looks awesome man!

great job!

2 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

I read something about loosening screws, but looking at my Advance, I didn't see any screws in the crotch area that would allow for loosening/disassembly to allow for better man-handling or even possible lubrication. Any clarification would be helpful. 

Incidentally, I only transformed my Advance once or twice when I first got it upon initial release, and it has remained in battroid ever since. I'm curious if there's some kind of corrosion that causes it to become 'sticky'. I don't recall having this issue when I first got it.

Based on jenius' review of the vf-19 advanced, the time frame of 18:09 -18:11 should be of help.

4 minutes ago, Ailanthus said:

Which slider is this specifically? Is it Step. 9 on page 12 in the manual? Because I tried pulling it some more but got no give.

Correct. Page 12, step 9-1. It might be you have to wiggle it around, work the slider for a bit as jenius says. For me, I didn't break it in very much, just pulled a bit harder than I thought necessary (and much more than I was comfortable doing).

7 hours ago, Bolt said:

That looks awesome man!

great job!

Thanks Bolt!

6 hours ago, borgified said:

Based on jenius' review of the vf-19 advanced, the time frame of 18:09 -18:11 should be of help.

Ah, been so long I forgot that those parts push in to allow rotation of the hips. Now that I'm re-educated, I'll have to put my Advance through its paces tomorrow. It's been awhile since I had it in fighter mode, and I've been itching to transform it. In my failed attempt this morning, I was still appreciating some of the design and engineering touches Bandai incorporated into this toy; IMO, one of the coolest Macross toys I own.  I have high hopes there's a YF-21 in the works. I think some MP-36ish compressing leg mechanism would serve well to give it chunky legs and a thin profile in fighter.

Edit: Also wanted to thank HardlyNever for his helpful comments, as well. If I forgot anyone else, my sincerest apologies, and my thanks.

Edited by M'Kyuun

So, after a good hour or so of cussing, placating, pondering, trying, and retrying, I finally persuaded my VF-19 Advance back into fighter mode. She's a tricky little beast what with all the multiple detentes and such for its various modes, plus armor accommodation. The armor kept falling off throughout, and so I just left it off except for the grey intermeshing pads on the shoulders, which is fine, as the naked 19 is one of Kawamori's most beautiful fighter designs. Throughout, despite my growing frustrations with getting things to line up, I couldn't help but marvel at some of the beautiful engineering in this toy. All the folding bits in the chest to allow it all to compress and allow the inner thighs to maintain a semblance of solidarity (except from the rear) is brilliant, as are the folding panels on the legs. It's been so long since I handled it that I'd forgotten just how clever the various solutions are throughout. That said, although the transformation can be a bit trying at first, the feeling of fulfillment is worth all that blood and sweat, and she makes for one gorgeous fighter. I implore any new owners of the YF-19 to take the time to do the transformation and really gain an appreciation for how much thought and engineering prowess is showcased in this toy; as much as I love my Arcadia YF-19, Bandai has them beat leaps and bounds in the engineering dept.

More than ever, I hope they're developing a YF-21.

I totally agree on how Bandai's engineering team handles those folding and stuff just to have the whole thing compress. I appreciate those things even though some parts of it kind of felt like overengineered. And still manages for messing up the gap between the legs and the arms in fighter mode. They should've atleast put some folding locking tabs in there. Plus the wing roots not tabbing or not aligned on the locking tabs when the Fast Packs are attached in the legs.

And I can't help wonder how they're going to do the same thing on a DX YF-21 if ever they're planning on doing it. However it is, I'm guaranteeing it that I will get 2 of it. ^_^ 

as much as I love my Arcadia YF-19, Bandai has them beat leaps and bounds in the engineering dept.

I can't argue the level of sophistication Bandai pulls off (mostly) successfully, but they absolutely have an extreme fetish for over-engineering, and it can be extremely detrimental to the longevity of their products (plus, their production habits make getting replacement items or parts nearly impossible).  The higher precision, permanent assembly methods, ridiculous parts count, and number of critical components raises the risk of a catastrophic failure several orders of magnitude over the old Yamato/Arcadia valks.  When they break, they disintegrate, and nothing is going to fix them.  I generally try to order two of every Bandai valk, ever since the 171 snafu.. I figure I should at least be able to piece together one fully functional valk out of the pair, if something explodes.

Between the over-engineering and ridiculous amount of paint scratching, I've always felt like the Bandai valks were better left on a shelf, while the Yamatos and Arcadias are better to transform and mess with.  They're beautifully engineered, but that complexity means they just don't have the same dependability, and aren't as rugged as something made with less parts.

Edited by Chronocidal

Indeed the vf 19A and the yf 19 from bandai stand apart from the rest when you take a minute to imagine the complexity and ordeal designers went through when they sketched, designed, tested and manufactured them.

Massive leg articulation, the ankle-lower leg mechanism, waist articulatuon, and all these moving pieces remain rock solid in fighter mode. Also bear in mind it keeps close fidelity to a line art that benefited from unexisting 3d animation and chetaed proportions in all 3 modes.

And above that, this mold was inspired by a 5 seconds scene in wings of good bye.

Its so complex that we should need a proper certification to be allowed to handle it xD (yes, the learning curve can be a fun killing factor).

Very very nice valk

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I can't argue the level of sophistication Bandai pulls off (mostly) successfully, but they absolutely have an extreme fetish for over-engineering, and it can be extremely detrimental to the longevity of their products (plus, their production habits make getting replacement items or parts nearly impossible).  The higher precision, permanent assembly methods, ridiculous parts count, and number of critical components raises the risk of a catastrophic failure several orders of magnitude over the old Yamato/Arcadia valks.  When they break, they disintegrate, and nothing is going to fix them.  I generally try to order two of every Bandai valk, ever since the 171 snafu.. I figure I should at least be able to piece together one fully functional valk out of the pair, if something explodes.

Between the over-engineering and ridiculous amount of paint scratching, I've always felt like the Bandai valks were better left on a shelf, while the Yamatos and Arcadias are better to transform and mess with.  They're beautifully engineered, but that complexity means they just don't have the same dependability, and aren't as rugged as something made with less parts.

My gushing over the Advance aside, I can't argue that it's a bit of a chore to manipulate, and that a simpler toy, like Arcadia's 19, or just a good ole VF-1, is plain fun to mess with and still yields fulfillment.

The engineer wannabe in me just loves solutions like those employed in any number of Bandai's valks, the Advance most notably, but what looks cool to the eye doesn't always translate as such in the hand. It's a tradeoff- a finickier toy with more inherent fragility yielding an arguably more accurate toy across modes, or a simpler, more robust toy that still does an admirable job conveying its modes with a higher fun-factor (and less anxiety).  I like both options, but mileage varies.

The engineer wannabe in me just loves solutions like those employed in any number of Bandai's valks, the Advance most notably, but what looks cool to the eye doesn't always translate as such in the hand. It's a tradeoff- a finickier toy with more inherent fragility yielding an arguably more accurate toy across modes, or a simpler, more robust toy that still does an admirable job conveying its modes with a higher fun-factor (and less anxiety).  I like both options, but mileage varies.

This is absolutely why LEGO is so satisfying though, in every way.  Not only do you get to design those insanely complex mechanisms yourself, but you can set the balance of complexity and enjoyment on your on terms, and revise the design at will.  My efforts to design a workable YF-19 though have all fallen through because certain elements don't exist that will fit inside a manageable package. :lol: 

Don't get me wrong, I love the YF-19/Advance mold (minus the feet.. those are ugly :p).  It's astoundingly close in proportion and overall shape to the Hasegawa dedicated fighter kits, and that's quite an achievement all on its own.  I do wish that Bandai would give a little more consideration to structural limitations and stresses, and be a little less glue and screw cover happy with their designs, but in the end, it's a marvelous little hunk of plastic that I'm happy to have sitting on top of my desk.

21 minutes ago, s_i_t_h_l_o_r_d said:

Has anyone try to install the Yamato's fold booster onto the DX-YF-19? Just wondering. I have yet to get mine in the mail.

I don't think by using Yamato's Fold Booster's adaptors is not going to fit on the DX YF-19. Both have different sets. I think the safe best if you want to use Yamato's Fold Booster is to make your own adaptors.

On 10/21/2018 at 7:16 AM, Nomake Wan said:

Would you happen to have a scan/photo of the insert? I'm curious as to what Bandai had to say officially about this particular issue. My YF-19 is still in the box for now, but I did check and the head laser is intact so at least I dodged that one. For anyone keeping score at home, I ordered from AmiAmi, shipped EMS, and live in California.

Sorry this is a little late.....double sorry I don't have a fancy camera.  This was taken on an old Samsung that I actually dropped in the bath the other night.  I wish that was a joke, but it's true.

Here's the insert that was right inside my replacement's packaging.  It was NOT in my initial shipment of the toy.

6yTHISo.jpg

I hope that's legible enough!!

3 hours ago, onnasake said:

It is, thank you! Interesting, they don't admit to there being an actual issue with the fins, they instead point out that using excessive force or attempting to reattach the fins at any angle other than dead on will erode the tiny nubs that hold them in place, which will cause them to no longer seat properly. So essentially...covering their asses. Ah well.

10 minutes ago, Nomake Wan said:

It is, thank you! Interesting, they don't admit to there being an actual issue with the fins, they instead point out that using excessive force or attempting to reattach the fins at any angle other than dead on will erode the tiny nubs that hold them in place, which will cause them to no longer seat properly. So essentially...covering their asses. Ah well.

Yeah, that is complete BS.  We have multiple people saying their leg fin attachment point is damaged right out of the box (myself included).  There is no way that kind of damage was caused by putting the leg fin back on dozens of times, much less once (which is the first time I noticed it).

If they are going to address it, at least be honest about it.  Otherwise, just pretend it isn't a real problem.  But as you said, they are probably just covering their asses, because they are getting complaints and returns.

4 hours ago, onnasake said:

Sorry this is a little late.....double sorry I don't have a fancy camera.  This was taken on an old Samsung that I actually dropped in the bath the other night.  I wish that was a joke, but it's true.

Here's the insert that was right inside my replacement's packaging.  It was NOT in my initial shipment of the toy.

6yTHISo.jpg

bandai: if you and many people are breaking it, then there is something wrong with all those people. here is a nifty guide to correct you

6 hours ago, onnasake said:

6yTHISo.jpg

Thanks for the pic of the insert.

Yeah.

Just plain bad engineering.

I think they pulled a similar "youredoingitwrong" insert shenanigan on at least the DX Mazinger's elbow-issue (http://collectiondx.com/toy_review/2012/dx_mazinger_z).

I just hope the fans in japan continue to complain loudly and often about this fins and other  DX YF-19 issue(s).

Also, I only just now noticed that the YF-19's head laser broke off during the Isamu/Guld fight at Macross City on Earth.

image.png.e2f993e54dd9266b4d1b58483f722835.png

Wow, so Bandai was trying for added realism in having the head laser on the DX Chogokin YF-19 break off during shipping for some folks?

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

3 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Hahaha anime accurate!:good:

interesting observations!

as for the wings folding up, I dunno was it supposed to do that or is that just a visual of the wings detached for repair somehow...

At least from the Macross Plus anime, it looks like it is folded up rather than detached... as far as I can tell, anyways.

Admittedly, I have yet to find the "high speed mode" wing configuration used anywhere in the Macross Plus OAVs or movie edition. I know that both the Arcadia and DX Chogokin included this in their YF-19 toys, but I don't know what anime source material they based that on.

Just now, Shizuka the Cat said:

At least from the Macross Plus anime, it looks like it is folded up rather than detached... as far as I can tell, anyways.

Admittedly, I have yet to find the "high speed mode" wing configuration used anywhere in the Macross Plus OAVs or movie edition. I know that both the Arcadia and DX Chogokin included this in their YF-19 toys, but I don't know what anime source material they based that on.

I think high-speed mode is more an accidental result of having a perfect transformation, as that's the wing/wing-root position for battroid.

3 minutes ago, Xigfrid said:

If you blink you can miss it, this is the scene when isamu came back to earth and hedgehoping next to the buildings and Guld is pursuing in its 21’s in high speed mode too

I just re-watched that scene... so far, not seeing it.