Bandai Sv-262 DX valk

seti88

11 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Wow! That's a bargain. I'm tempted for a 2nd one. :blink:

Seeing the aftermarket prices of the Draken, do you guys think that the 'pope' version will still get made? If so, hope they just do the white one first. ^_^

Well, I waited but still contemplating to buy one because Im not a fan of the show. But just like any sensible macross fan, we like doing this:

JYAVWj7.gif

I wonder if they're tweaking stuff for the pope versions as there's 3 VF-31s already/getting released to 1 SV-262. If not, they should at least do the White Roid version because at least they already got the mold. 

34 minutes ago, wmkjr said:

I wonder if they're tweaking stuff for the pope versions as there's 3 VF-31s already/getting released to 1 SV-262. If not, they should at least do the White Roid version because at least they already got the mold. 

I think the only tweakings that needs for the Pope ones is new head and wing design molds. The rest are the same, I believe. Except ofcourse the paint and tampo placements. But knowing that Keiths' Draken is not making very well in the market due to discounts from stores, question would be is that, is Bandai still willing to produce the other Draken versions? :unknw:

1 hour ago, monishb said:

Well, I waited but still contemplating to buy one because Im not a fan of the show. But just like any sensible macross fan, we like doing this:

JYAVWj7.gif

True. And here I am at work still contemplating for 2nd Keith's Draken...

ttsL1Rk.gif

24 minutes ago, monishb said:

Spend! Spend!

If I could, I would. :rolleyes:

I just spend too much recently with a second DX 31J, second Orguss (both Kei and Olson), Waterslide Decals, and Master File books. :unsure:

13 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

If I could, I would. :rolleyes:

I just spend too much recently with a second DX 31J, second Orguss (both Kei and Olson), Waterslide Decals, and Master File books. :unsure:

Nice. I'll wait week if the 31f goes on sale or if Arcadia max or ivanov preorder goes up early.

That doesn't bode well for the other versions... and I actually like the normal Draken better.  I'll still get at least two of each mold, and one of each in white if they make both (possibly more of the Ba model if we get white ones of those), but I hope they didn't overcomplicate the toy to the point of bad sales. :huh:

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I hope they didn't overcomplicate the toy to the point of bad sales. :huh:

I'd say there's a pretty good argument to be made that they did indeed do so, though whether that's the primary factor in the low resale price I can't say.

As a whole the complexity of the DX 262's transformation is overdone to the point where I'd rate it as one of the most mechanically complex assemblies I've ever seen and that's coming from someone who's last job was working on the design of jet engines. I really like the look of the 262 but the complexity of the transformation doesn't strike me as a good decision when from what I've heard some of the smaller scale models have a simpler mechanism that achieves comparable results.

24 minutes ago, Jaustin89 said:

I'd say there's a pretty good argument to be made that they did indeed do so, though whether that's the primary factor in the low resale price I can't say.

As a whole the complexity of the DX 262's transformation is overdone to the point where I'd rate it as one of the most mechanically complex assemblies I've ever seen and that's coming from someone who's last job was working on the design of jet engines. I really like the look of the 262 but the complexity of the transformation doesn't strike me as a good decision when from what I've heard some of the smaller scale models have a simpler mechanism that achieves comparable results.

This is why I'm thinking for a 2nd one so that I don't need to transform it. ^_^

That seriously looks tempting. Need to watch a video of the transformation to get a better understanding of what you guys are talking about with regards to complexity. 

In other news, just got back into the scene - really missed the forum!

Hmm. For what it's worth, my advice on buying the SV-262:

It's not for everybody. Me, personally, I LOVE it...conditionally.

First, the good: I simply DO NOT UNDERSTAND people who find the SV-262 ugly. The robot mode is beautiful. I don't think there's ANY transforming mecha that looks quite like it. I love the Anubis/Batman head. I love the colors. I'm not afraid to play with it and put it int various poses. It holds poses quite well. The arms and legs are on double joints, and it has so much personality.

The sculpting. OMG the sculpting. You could feasibly poke your eye out or prick your finger into bleeding with this toy. This is a COMPLIMENT. Bandai did NOT compromise on the sharp angles, and it's sleek and gorgeous.

I find the jet mode gorgeous as well. Again, I don't think there's ANY transforming mecha with a jet mode quite like this. It's sleek. Looking at it from the side or the front, it's no thicker than my hand. I simply cannot BELIEVE such a huge robot was stuffed into such a sleek jet. If you look at it from the bottom, if you didn't know this was a transforming jet, you'd think the jet bottom was a solid piece of plastic that covers up the bottom of the jet.

And the tampo printing. THE TAMPO PRINTING. The SV-262 is in the Top 10 for most-painted and most precisely-painted figure. It LOOKS like a lovingly hand-painted model kit, especially in jet mode. 

And now, the bad: Although it is tough as nails in jet mode and robot mode, the transformation is terrifying. I transformed it 3 times, ever: 1) right when I opened it, from jet to robot mode, 2) that same day again, from robot mode to jet mode, then 3) months later, jet to robot mode.

Each time was a terrifying, terrifying, terrifying experience. An analogy would be, this is what MP-5 Megatron would be if he was a jet. At many points, I was fully convinced I had a defective toy because Parts Y and Z got in the way of Part X, and the only way to get Part X into some other position is if Parts Y and Z simply weren't there. It's not intuitive. You can't picture in your mind, "Hmm, I know what a jet looks like, and THIS piece clearly looks like it should be in THIS position, rotated THAT way." Nope nope nope.

The transformation has so many moving parts, many of which seem unneeded. Rather than be helpful, this high amount of moving parts means you have more things that must be in a precise position to achieve Gerwalk or jet mode. Every part is connected to several other parts, and moving 1 part means 3 other parts were just moved. Now, multiply that frustration with the difficulty of not being able to picture what position it should even be when you're done. It's exhausting.

Jet mode: worth it. Robot mode: worth it. Gerwalk mode: not very stable, but awesome looking, and worth it.

If you can afford multiples, I would strongly advise you do so. Keep 1 in robot mode, 1 in jet mode. It's what I did. 

In conclusion: SV-262. Great figure, terrifying transformation, not for everyone. Worth it, if you like the design and can afford multiples. 

Edited by Lord_Of_Tetris

46 minutes ago, Lord_Of_Tetris said:

Hmm. For what it's worth, my advice on buying the SV-262:

It's not for everybody. Me, personally, I LOVE it...conditionally.

First, the good: I simply DO NOT UNDERSTAND people who find the SV-262 ugly. The robot mode is beautiful. I don't think there's ANY transforming mecha that looks quite like it. I love the Anubis/Batman head. I love the colors. I'm not afraid to play with it and put it int various poses. It holds poses quite well. The arms and legs are on double joints, and it has so much personality.

The sculpting. OMG the sculpting. You could feasibly poke your eye out or prick your finger into bleeding with this toy. This is a COMPLIMENT. Bandai did NOT compromise on the sharp angles, and it's sleek and gorgeous.

I find the jet mode gorgeous as well. Again, I don't think there's ANY transforming mecha with a jet mode quite like this. It's sleek. Looking at it from the side or the front, it's no thicker than my hand. I simply cannot BELIEVE such a huge robot was stuffed into such a sleek jet. If you look at it from the bottom, if you didn't know this was a transforming jet, you'd think the jet bottom was a solid piece of plastic that covers up the bottom of the jet.

And the tampo printing. THE TAMPO PRINTING. The SV-262 is in the Top 10 for most-painted and most precisely-painted figure. It LOOKS like a lovingly hand-painted model kit, especially in jet mode. 

And now, the bad: Although it is tough as nails in jet mode and robot mode, the transformation is terrifying. I transformed it 3 times, ever: 1) right when I opened it, from jet to robot mode, 2) that same day again, from robot mode to jet mode, then 3) months later, jet to robot mode.

Each time was a terrifying, terrifying, terrifying experience. An analogy would be, this is what MP-5 Megatron would be if he was a jet. At many points, I was fully convinced I had a defective toy because Parts Y and Z got in the way of Part X, and the only way to get Part X into some other position is if Parts Y and Z simply weren't there. It's not intuitive. You can't picture in your mind, "Hmm, I know what a jet looks like, and THIS piece clearly looks like it should be in THIS position, rotated THAT way." Nope nope nope.

The transformation has so many moving parts, many of which seem unneeded. Rather than be helpful, this high amount of moving parts means you have more things that must be in a precise position to achieve Gerwalk or jet mode. Every part is connected to several other parts, and moving 1 part means 3 other parts were just moved. Now, multiply that frustration with the difficulty of not being able to picture what position it should even be when you're done. It's exhausting.

Jet mode: worth it. Robot mode: worth it. Gerwalk mode: not very stable, but awesome looking, and worth it.

If you can afford multiples, I would strongly advise you do so. Keep 1 in robot mode, 1 in jet mode. It's what I did. 

In conclusion: SV-262. Great figure, terrifying transformation, not for everyone. Worth it, if you like the design and can afford multiples. 

Thanks. I'm going to sleep on it and decide.

I bought two almost specifically to do the same, though what it turned into was keeping one pristine in jet mode, and transforming the second every so often since it came with some missing tampo on the underside.

The transformation does get slightly easier with practice, but while going from fighter to battroid is a little bit of a struggle, going in the reverse direction is probably the single most difficult transformation I have ever experienced. 

It's a beautiful design though, and one of the most unique designs in Macross, and right up there with the VF-4 in the "Wait, this thing transforms?" category.  Most valks tend to have at least arms visible on the underside, or at least a few obvious cues that the engines turn into legs.  With this one, you don't even realize what you're looking at until it twists and folds out like some kind of mecha origami.

23 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I bought two almost specifically to do the same, though what it turned into was keeping one pristine in jet mode, and transforming the second every so often since it came with some missing tampo on the underside.

The transformation does get slightly easier with practice, but while going from fighter to battroid is a little bit of a struggle, going in the reverse direction is probably the single most difficult transformation I have ever experienced. 

It's a beautiful design though, and one of the most unique designs in Macross, and right up there with the VF-4 in the "Wait, this thing transforms?" category.  Most valks tend to have at least arms visible on the underside, or at least a few obvious cues that the engines turn into legs.  With this one, you don't even realize what you're looking at until it twists and folds out like some kind of mecha origami.

You took the words from my mouth!  Exactly!!!  It's just an engineering marvel and worthy on that alone.

23 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Most valks tend to have at least arms visible on the underside, or at least a few obvious cues that the engines turn into legs.  With this one, you don't even realize what you're looking at until it twists and folds out like some kind of mecha origami.

Yep. I have dozens of transforming jet toys, and the SV-262 has THE smoothest jet underside of them all. The second-smoothest jet underside award goes to the YF-21 (which I don't have), but even so, the YF-21's smooth jet underside is literally 2 large slabs of hip kibble. The SV-262's smooth jet underbelly isn't created by kibble, but by actually having parts that--when placed next to each other--look like a smooth jet underside.

You forgot to mention the VF-4 and VB-6 as having smooth undersides as well. In terms of ranking, I would say VF-4, Sv-262, VB-6. But all of these are pretty close when it comes to no visible robot parts in jet/bomber mode. I think people often forget that the VB-6 also gives off the vibe, "Wait, this thing transforms?" too.

7 hours ago, dizman said:

Welcome back!

Thanks dizman, spent an hour watching the videos :). 

4 hours ago, Lord_Of_Tetris said:

Yep. I have dozens of transforming jet toys, and the SV-262 has THE smoothest jet underside of them all. The second-smoothest jet underside award goes to the YF-21 (which I don't have), but even so, the YF-21's smooth jet underside is literally 2 large slabs of hip kibble. The SV-262's smooth jet underbelly isn't created by kibble, but by actually having parts that--when placed next to each other--look like a smooth jet underside.

The main reason why I'm looking at this valk. Same reason why I bought huge amounts of the 21/22. I rarely transform them, just the possibilities of it makes me happy because they are such sleek machines. 

17 minutes ago, raptormesh said:

Thanks dizman, spent an hour watching the videos :). 

The main reason why I'm looking at this valk. Same reason why I bought huge amounts of the 21/22. I rarely transform them, just the possibilities of it makes me happy because they are such sleek machines. 

Look at that smooth, smoothbuyit underside...

594dc7d580186_2017-06-2318_57_54.thumb.jpg.153ed326f2f2aa8506ed3c47de560316.jpg594dc7d8cb7e8_2017-06-2318_57_58.thumb.jpg.67b2c2a91da7ebf05faed9c6061c9952.jpg

Armature can let you rotate the gunbuythis, like a turret.

594dc7db9c343_2017-06-2318_58_29.thumb.jpg.dfb784ba8ce1c50b23ededd27d96c379.jpg

Even if you remove the gunpod, the underbelly of the jetyouwanttobuy looks like a solid and smooth piece.

594dc7e1a9458_2017-06-2318_59_22.thumb.jpg.03eb865e8e44dbce7f298d2bd6a7bce3.jpg

Edited by Lord_Of_Tetris

Yeah, I'm pretty impressed with the overall look of the 262. I still haven't transformed mine because I don't have the hours I think I'll need to really appreciate it but look forward to the day. As for the discounts, we've all seen this happen before. Once initial stock dries up, price creeps up and eventually we'll see this at those insane prices Macross fans love.