My third 31A still has not shipped out from Nin nin game. Ordered from them since they had a great price, but given their reputation I wasn't relying on them as my sole order. I also didn't order till late November so I still have a lot of time to PayPal dispute it. 

I'll give them until mid-April before I demand my money back. 

Yep, Mykombini refunded me too. I find it hard to fault them, though. It really does seem pretty obvious to me that Bandai shafted everyone on this specific item for whatever reason. EVERY store was and is having problems getting sufficient product, and again, only on this specific item. People are talking about receiving other preordered items before and after this fiasco from the same store - NY, Mykombini, CDJ, etc. - without any trouble.

If there's any fault to find with the stores, it's in their less than proactive response, some more so than others. Waiting a little while, talking to the supplier, trying to get some sort of fix in order, that's fine. That's what I assume these stores were doing. However, keeping completely mum to the customer, that's kind of... like I said, less than proactive.

If there's one thing I've gleaned from this, it's the importance of customer service. Mykombini, all things considered, has been fairly decent about their communication with customers. The refund email I received didn't skimp on the reason why they're refunding people. I'll probably try them again sometime (maybe for the (hopefully) eventual Arad 31A or Alpha 2 31A), which is more than I can say about NY. They seem downright antagonistic in both their customer service and company policies. "We'll give you zero communication if possible and intentionally vague canned responses if not, and we're only too willing to hold onto your money without giving you what you paid for, but if you dare call us out on our shitty practices or open a Paypal dispute we'll cancel all your preorders, cut all your rewards, and possibly close your account." Yeah, I know where I won't be taking my money anytime soon.

59 minutes ago, CharlesXavier said:

It's nonsense. TWE are made to order. And online retailers have to order individually via their countless clone accounts. It's either they took in more POs than they ordered or they are channeling their sales to ebay and YJP

I would assume made to order is an approximate amount of pieces, not in a literal sense. This explains why Metal Builds and the like sell out, even though they're made to order. Methinks Bandai underestimated the popularity and didn't prepare for how they handle MBs, thus no second run. They're probably quietly doing a second batch too. 

My first NY 31A, ordered 8.07pm on 6/Oct/17 shipped 28/Mar/18 and arrived in Melbourne, Oz, 3/Apr/18

My second NY 31A was ordered on the 26/Oct/17, almost 3 weeks later, and hasn't shipped (which isn't a surprise. I still think they are mostly going by order time, with the bulk of orders occurring when the item was first listed) 

I also ordered a 31A from Loopaza when it came up the other day and that was the one that arrived first.

I have a bunch of other stuff pre-ordered and paid for with them, so no point opening a PayPal dispute as that will just mean I don't get my Mirage super-parts and some other stuff.

26 minutes ago, Shukenzero said:

I would assume made to order is an approximate amount of pieces, not in a literal sense. This explains why Metal Builds and the like sell out, even though they're made to order. Methinks Bandai underestimated the popularity and didn't prepare for how they handle MBs, thus no second run. They're probably quietly doing a second batch too. 

For TWE items, it is made to order. When Bandai opens the TWE PO, there's a counter in place. Say 2000. Once the counter reaches 0, the PO closes automatically by the website. And when the PO closes too early, Bandai knows this is an indication of how popular the item is and they open another round of PO with a 1-2 months delay delivery date. We have seen that for Gundam Metal Build TWEs.

For the 31A, as far as I recall, the PO window opened till the last day and there wasn't even a need for a reopening to take in orders for a 2nd batch. This means that whatever PO was taken, Bandai was able to fulfill them 100%. The counter didn't reach 0 and close the PO window.

What could have happened, is there could be some production issues that popped up or they took more POs than they thought they could deliver in 1 sitting. That is why I heard from a retailer that his Japanese counterpart was waiting for a 2nd batch to be dispatched from Bandai.

As far as i know from the 10 years of collecting TWE items, Bandai has never cancelled any POs. There have been instances where they delayed the delivery date by 2 weeks to a month, but never a cancellation. TWE orders are always honored.

As for the truth behind the 31A, we will only know when more information pops up.

29 minutes ago, Shukenzero said:

I recently thought about the limited numbers of items available for the popular Bandai items. I came up with the following theory: if they produce a given item as batches rather than individual items (because they can only assign so much factory time or one set of molds only lasts for that many units) you cannot adapt to market demands that flexible. Assuming one batch of the VF-31F is 1000 units. If there is demand for 1200 items but the next bigger batch would be 2000 items it might make sense financially for Bandai to only produce one batch instead of two since otherwise they would sit on dead stock.

Of course this would hit us as foreigners the hardest because we are the 200 people for whom Bandai cannot produce items. It would also make sense for Bandai to allot more stock to domestic brick and mortar stores since they are more important for the Business of Bandai Japan.

Now I assume that the TWE items have a more limited run than normal releases due to less popularity, niche releases, etc. Let's say Bandai planned a production run of up to 500 units  for the VF-31A. Since factory time is alloted ahead of time they can't change that number if a surge in popularity appears closer to the cut-off date. If in this scenario NY and other retailers just kept the orders open too long and Bandai cannot manufacture more units in this batch a shortage is the consequence. 

I think both parties are to blame for he shortage. Bandai because they didn't set a sensible cut-off date for orders and NY keeping their preorders open too long. 

Maybe someone on the board has experience with manufacturing and could tell me if there is some merit to this theory or not. 

Rub it in Spanner....:(.....

I meant "enjoy you b'strd" :lol:

All that is kind of understandable (Bandai not producing enough or whatever the case might be) BUT for a store to keep you cash and not even bother to send you any explanations, apologies is the worse in terms of customer service. Yes sure a lot of us got that formatted reply, big deal, had to write to get it. They have a duty to their customers and we shouldn't be chasing around for an answer or apology, they either already know it's doomed, or they are trying to get the orders in. Either way, the only time we'll hear from them is when/if we get a refund.

Kinda sly, if you think about it as letting people in limbo without any infos, they are less likely to get a mass of PayPal or CC chargebacks...

Sad that they have the same outlook drug-dealers have towards junkies, they don't give a crap, as they know their punters will wait, (in the rain/snow blizzard no matter what).

As for boycotting them, it will be but a small dent in their profits. People will still go back to them no matter what they say now....heck I POd, that next HMR release as soon as it opened.

Sure, I am fuming, but unfortunately for now, there's not much that can be done.

I'm prepared to lose my DX VF-31S pre-order with NY. Not keen on it and I find myself wondering why I need so many VF-31's. If NY cancel my 31A and 31S orders at the end, the bright side is I end up saving a nice sum of cash.

Have been looking for an exit from collecting valks and this affair might well be a blessing in disguise. Skyrocketing prices, lack of space and other issues (pre-order madness for DXs, NY nonsense etc.) have really taken the joy out of the hobby.

31 minutes ago, Scyla said:

I think both parties are to blame for he shortage. Bandai because they didn't set a sensible cut-off date for orders and NY keeping their preorders open too long. 

This has me wondering about the preorder for the VF-31C super parts.  Release date is end of May and preorders are still open.  I don’t remember the super parts preorders in the past, were they all open so late?

All three are out of their boxes, have been inspected and put on display for now. As far as I can tell they are all perfect with no visible or obvious defects. Thoroughly impressed with them! Loving the clear canopy! Would love to switch their modes for display but it's getting late and I need sleep. Here's a photo to enjoy!

20180403_203311.jpg

14 minutes ago, spanner said:

All three are out of their boxes, have been inspected and put on display for now. As far as I can tell they are all perfect with no visible or obvious defects. Thoroughly impressed with them! Loving the clear canopy! Would love to switch their modes for display but it's getting late and I need sleep. Here's a photo to enjoy!

20180403_203311.jpg

Very nice, I’m jelly :)

16 minutes ago, spanner said:

20180403_203311.jpg

Spannered!

Edited by chyll2

27 minutes ago, spanner said:

20180403_203311.jpg

Nicey Nicey them fella. Need me some decent stands for mine. You going to battroid and gerwalk two of them? 

I wonder how much of our concern is misplaced cultural assumptions. I've noticed when I've traveled to Japan that they do bend over backwards in a way that westerners tend not to to ensure that someone that they've accepted a financial commitment from is looked after. That where a western company would say "bad luck" and cut their losses, that a Japanese org would go the extra mile to try to meet the needs of those they have entered into an agreement with. Again that's just my impressions, but I'd have more faith in a "trust us to do right by you" from a Japanese org than I would from an Australian or US based one. One can hope anyway ;-)

HLJ has the best customer service I've experienced of all the hobby shops I've purchased from, and it's owned by a white dude. :p

There's no reason to play the race card here. 

For a place like NY, I chalk their failings up to incompetence and obstinacy rather than maliciousness or an intent to cheat anyone.  

Edited by Lolicon
Addendum

1 hour ago, spanner said:

20180403_203311.jpg

Lucky you just be careful with these stands ;p

16 minutes ago, Blue Meanie said:

my big worry is NY isn't solvent enough to refund $27,000 if just 100 of us got shorted by Bandai. some companies are just treading water

This thought crossed my mind as well. And this might be the reason why we haven't seen mass refunds yet. :unsure:

1 hour ago, orindlt said:

I wonder how much of our concern is misplaced cultural assumptions. I've noticed when I've traveled to Japan that they do bend over backwards in a way that westerners tend not to to ensure that someone that they've accepted a financial commitment from is looked after. That where a western company would say "bad luck" and cut their losses, that a Japanese org would go the extra mile to try to meet the needs of those they have entered into an agreement with. Again that's just my impressions, but I'd have more faith in a "trust us to do right by you" from a Japanese org than I would from an Australian or US based one. One can hope anyway ;-)

NY is based in Japan but isn't run by Japanese. I believe their staff is mostly French.

3 hours ago, WaferMouse said:

Sorry to hear about these issues peeps :( It seems as though the 31A has turned from a sure-thing must-buy to a bad memory for lots of you. I feel legitimately fortunate that mine is arriving tomorrow, all being well.

I was looking forward to the 31A for an external reason.

I got my Mirage VF-31 the day my old company made the announcement that they were closing the offices and moving them somewhere else.  We all had a choice to either move or be laid off.  I chose to be laid off, and my relationship with the business I had put so much blood, sweat, tears, and sleepless nights into ended.  My Mirage VF marks an ending.

Since then,  I got a new job, and now the disruption of the ending of my old job is over.  I'm back on a normal income schedule.  Everything is caught up.  The VF-31A was arriving at just the right time to mark the ending of the "Kaos" in my life.

So, of course it sits in Hong Kong for a prolonged period of time and then gets randomly shipped off to Maine.

I know my problem is minor compared to everyone else.  At least mine shipped.  But now I'm dreading that it's going to be delivered to the wrong address. 

I think the VF-31A is cursed.  This whole thing looks to be a total clusterfrakk.

3 hours ago, spanner said:

20180403_203311.jpg

Admittedly I'm very jelly right now, but great job getting the three 31A's!  Nice display!

1 hour ago, Blue Meanie said:

my big worry is NY isn't solvent enough to refund $27,000 if just 100 of us got shorted by Bandai. some companies are just treading water

That's a very valid assumption (and indeed a worrying one).  Fingers crossed that Bandai will somehow pull through with the lagging orders and we all get our 31A's eventually.

3 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

That's a very valid assumption (and indeed a worrying one).  Fingers crossed that Bandai will somehow pull through with the lagging orders and we all get our 31A's eventually.

It would also be a reason why they would threaten to pull everything if you cancel/paypal. Better to keep the money in hand, get the remaining 100 Valks, even if they eat $100 each its better than losing all the preorder $$$