Woohoo!!!  I love the grey scheme - probably my favourite and I'm so glad there won't be the usual PO madness.  (so no need to stay up tonight?  It will just show up at NY sometime?) 

I sure hope they don't forget about the orange EWACs one as that's the last one I really wanted (sucker for the EWACs dome). 

Yep, too early about the canopy, all the original VF-31s had clear canopies when they were first shown - argh!  Dissappointed with the lack of the different missile pod too.

Hmm... I doubt Alpha team use charging pod in the series, BANDAI just clueless on it and decided using same mold as Delta squad. BANDAI seems rush on milking KAIROS.
I guess i'll wait for Delta Movie, who knows Bandai pushed something new in the movie -_-

8 minutes ago, Zx31 said:

no3Ljm has posted two images in this thread showing that they do.

ah my mistake, I was thinking about the mod kit of KAIROS I saw on google. The pod with more missiles.

If only there's is anniversary ver. using VF31-C/S/F head with Kairos wing design (wishful thinking) :lol:

IMG_2073.JPG.eded8d7cda5b0a1a9dfb9913b90e9c37.JPG.f2feb10db643d6e10e239216152d4428.JPG

Edited by venth85

Just now, UN Spacy said:

Wait is this gonna be a dumb web exclusive like Hayate's reaper?

I believe it’s a web exclusive but not a lottery so everyone should be able to get one. 

If you order through a proxy you can buy up to 6 lol

1 minute ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

I believe it’s a web exclusive but not a lottery so everyone should be able to get one. 

If you order through a proxy you can buy up to 6 lol

Yes but will it be available at all the usual retailers (i.e. HLJ, Ami, Hobbysearch, AE, CDJ, etc)?

@UN SpacyI think it's the same deal as the SPs, if so CDJ is a go, but not HLJ (as no3ljm pointed out to me the other day). Other peeps have also mentioned NY taking this type of order.

So far as the pod goes, I'm almost certain that someone at the animation studio just cleared them to use existing assets instead of modelling up a second pod, and Bandai is just being cartoon accurate since they can't please everyone. I can barely even remember the 31A's actual appearance in the show.

Edited by WaferMouse

I'm in the minority, but... meh. I still like the silhouette/profile of the YF-30 Chronos infinitely more than that of the Kairos. Shame that the Chronos can't have the excellent torso engineering of the VF-31.

It looks really good but way too expensive after the extra fees and shipping. I hope the do the VF-31A in the Hi-Metal R, after they have finished all of the mecha from the original. I would love to have three of the VF-31A as a small squad in that scale. 

"Regular" 31A units probably do, but we only ever see Xaos VF-31 units assigned to the Elysion, which is primarily used to support Walkure opperations. It makes sense that they all use the same default pod to save on cost and maintenance. (pay no attention to the savings in animation cost)

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

consistency.jpg.888370f6920119d7e81f548013423a3c.jpg

:p 

Hahaha! :lol: Well, atleast Bandai's consistent with everything... so far. :db:

1 hour ago, UN Spacy said:

Yes but will it be available at all the usual retailers (i.e. HLJ, Ami, Hobbysearch, AE, CDJ, etc)?

Mostly CDJ, BiJ, and NY.

13 minutes ago, Raptor One said:

The onscreen 3D models sure, but wasn't it specified in supplemental materials that in-universe the 31A's had a different configuration for that pod?

Probably it has different configuration. There's a lot of different pod schematics in the Master File book but I doubt Bandai will ever do those.

Between this, its super parts and Mirage's supers, I'm happy to skip the remaining releases. The Kairos was definitely top 3 in my wanted list of valks, and the valk designs were far superior to the story they were made for. Wonder why Bandai is releasing the Kairos before finishing the squad? 

Also: where the hell are the Mirage parts?!

Ooh, I'm so stoked for this, but I don't know anything about pricing. (I've only checked the last two pages.) Can anyone refresh me on when/where/how much to preorder?

1 hour ago, Raptor One said:

The onscreen 3D models sure, but wasn't it specified in supplemental materials that in-universe the 31A's had a different configuration for that pod?

47 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Probably it has different configuration. There's a lot of different pod schematics in the Master File book but I doubt Bandai will ever do those.

The official materials don't specify a different pod configuration for the VF-31A, just notes that the VF-31 was designed to handle different container pods. The missile launcher + sensor that we see on the customized Bandai model kits are... well, customized by the modeler. It's not necessarily a canon design (as far as I'm aware... it may well be based on lineart from the Perfect Files/etc.).

It stands to reason that Alpha Squadron has a different pod setup "canonically" and that the animation reuses the charger pod to save money, but if the animation is taken as the primary source, then yes, the rest of Xaos has a charger pod as default as well. (The "canon" also says that the legs' racks contain missiles instead of Delta's drones, but I'm sure if those were ever shown they would have had drones, too.)

That all said, the lack of a different pod setup is already putting me off this toy, despite how much I've been yearning for it. It couldn't possibly have taken very much effort to design a replacement for the charger pod. Even just a different part that caps onto the existing charger pod that turns it into a missile launcher would have been enough.

If the price is too high (like it seems to be, judging from people's posts), I'll reluctantly pass on this and make do with the kits.

9 hours ago, IXTL said:

Mirrored  pics

March release. No need to rush for pre-orders tomorrow since it's a web exclusive.

1000118008_2.jpg

1000118008_3.jpg

1000118008_4.jpg

OMFG!!! WOW!!! this thing kicks ass! Easily the best variant of the lot! I'll be definitely up for three of these for sure!

Edited by spanner

26 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Ooh, I'm so stoked for this, but I don't know anything about pricing. (I've only checked the last two pages.) Can anyone refresh me on when/where/how much to preorder?

*snip*

That all said, the lack of a different pod setup is already putting me off this toy, despite how much I've been yearning for it. It couldn't possibly have taken very much effort to design a replacement for the charger pod. Even just a different part that caps onto the existing charger pod that turns it into a missile launcher would have been enough.

If the price is too high (like it seems to be, judging from people's posts), I'll reluctantly pass on this and make do with the kits.

9 hours ago, recon said:

http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000118008/

DX VF-31A preorder tomorrow!

There's the above link from Bandai site along with the infos. It's a Tamashii Web Exclusive so expect to pay the actual MSRP price upon preordering it from CDJapan, Big In Japan, and Nippon-Yasan starting October 6, 4PM Japan time.

As for the pod. If it's an issue to you design-wise since we're not expecting Bandai at this point to change it, you can easily remove it when displayed in Battroid mode or just leave it hanging at the back.

18 minutes ago, spanner said:

in fact, had this been the first release then I probably could have skipped all the other characters variants and had only got these! Love it!

How much better are those conventional sweep wings! :wub:

Hey Spanner! Planning on getting 3 of this for sure? ;)

I'm half wondering if Bandai's release schedule is based on relative percentage of screen time each of the different designs got.  The proportions seem about correct, with Hayate, Messer, Keith, and Mirage taking the majority.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the cannon fodder designs got more screen time than Arad and Chuck, but I would have expected at least one of the other 262s would have been done already.

8 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Do we have to stay up and go through the madness to order this one or will the PO's stay open for a while since its "made to order"?

It's probably going to stay awhile since TWE. I want to get one tonight but I have to check my budget first since it's pay upfront. ^_^

Pay upfront means this is one expensive year for macross...arad's 01 is probably gonna be the mystical unicorn of delta for now...speaking of which will the 31J kai even have a non lottery release? Since the A is having a March release means December/January is still open for a dx?

Edited by seti88