And what's nice about Bandai regarding this DX VF-31J/Kai event release is that they still put it at MSRP even though based on their claim that it's limited. I know compared to the MB Exia 10th Anniversary version which is expensive, the rests are still within their regular MSRP price which is nice. The only catch is that you have to be in that said event to get hold of this. Which IMHO, is not that bad. ;)

Edited by no3Ljm

32 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I mean, it's kind of stupidly simple math.. Assuming the limited numbers they were planning to produce would have turned a profit, they're already past meeting the base costs of production.  Any further sales should only increase that profit margin.

I don't know where this whole exclusivity mentality is from, but it's toxic to the market in so many ways.  These aren't Ferraris, or some multi-thousand dollar piece of celebrity contracted jewelry here. They're freakin' toy airplanes that turn into robots.  Bandai needs to stop acting like owning them is some sort of status symbol. <_<

If they put the Kai release out on the normal web exclusive site, I'll absolutely buy one, maybe even two, but all this lottery BS is accomplishing is dragging their reputation through the mud, and pushing the raging fanbase to turn their website into a dumpster fire over their misjudgment of demand.

I reckon Bandai just wants to protect their scalpers with all these "exclusivity" shenanigans they've been doing...

Also remember that part of the point of making it an event exclusive is to get people to come to the event. The more people at the event the more they can try to sell people on their other products. It's a captive audience for advertising that they otherwise may not have had access to. They may figure that it is better to lose a few VF-31J Kai sales to increase their overall sales across all of their product lines.

I don't know, I'm beginning to wonder if this "limited availability" stuff we're seeing lately is actually isn't such a bad technique.  For Bandai, I mean.  The surest way to make sure your product moves is to have your customers believe that if they wait, they'll miss out.  It's been working for a while for them now.  Only recently have there been extras available after release, and even with those, they eventually disappear too (looking at you, VF-31C and SV-262).

Maybe this "ultra limited, event exclusive and/or lottery only" approach is just the next logical progression?

Edited by mickyg

Poor story-telling aside, it is the final Valk of the main character that is also a blend with the other most popular character from the show where he goes super var and kicks as much ass as the incompetant writers will let him.  Heroes sell well in Japan and abroad.l and Hayate and Messer were the favorites by a wide margin.  You want to limit Chuck, makes perfect sense, even though I'll buy him still.  But the hero?  Might as well make the Super Saiyan Goku figures super rare lottery only, who wants to buy the main character in his ultimate form anyway?

8 minutes ago, Mommar said:

But the hero?  Might as well make the Super Saiyan Goku figures super rare lottery only, who wants to buy the main character in his ultimate form anyway?

While I agree with you, if the numbers backed that up then this would have been a regular release.

If they were smart they would make a limited number for the con for the uber fans to run and get immediately and then wait six months to release them online.  That way there's a draw for the con, and a limited time bonus for the people who go, but the rest of the fans aren't boned and there's no overly complicated nonsense like right now.

1 hour ago, Loop said:

OK, so I'm so damn confused already. I thought that they would have some for people at the event and then after the even they would put them up on the site for lottery sales.

P-Bandai planned to have 2 pre-order windows before the event. If you placed an order, you would have to collect the item at the event. Not sure if that has now changed.

After the event, they would do a lottery sale.

Edited by IXTL

34 minutes ago, Mommar said:

If they were smart they would make a limited number for the con for the uber fans to run and get immediately and then wait six months to release them online.  That way there's a draw for the con, and a limited time bonus for the people who go, but the rest of the fans aren't boned and there's no overly complicated nonsense like right now.

Sounds an awful lot like apple to me and even if you're not a fan, it absolutely seems to work for them.  Apple always has fans lining up before a phone release and over here in Australia, there's often a massive shortage in devices, so those that camp out actually have a better chance of getting what they want.  But wait a couple of weeks and they're everywhere and not at all hard to get.  Doesn't stop the hardcore fans from being first and absolutely doesn't seem to affect the desire to have them after release.

They should have just handled this like the Heine Custom release in the Metal Build lineup. That thing was going for a lot when it was show exclusive only, but then the market calmed once they did a p-bandai release.

Thanks IXTL, so I am correct that the items may still be thrown up on p-bandai for lottery. I'm not very lucky in the lotteries but at least there is still hope.  

46 minutes ago, mickyg said:

Sounds an awful lot like apple to me and even if you're not a fan, it absolutely seems to work for them.  Apple always has fans lining up before a phone release and over here in Australia, there's often a massive shortage in devices, so those that camp out actually have a better chance of getting what they want.  But wait a couple of weeks and they're everywhere and not at all hard to get.  Doesn't stop the hardcore fans from being first and absolutely doesn't seem to affect the desire to have them after release.

Mezco does this with their figures too.  It's not perfect, some people were burned by the Jim Lee Wolverine release because they simply didn't produce enough, but people who went to New York Comic Con already have their toys.  In the next three months the rest of us who pre-ordered at the website will receive theirs.  I think a smarter method would have been to do the pre-orders plus ConExclusive, but wait and see how many numbers would come in on the pre-orders and arrange production after that.  But for Jim Lee Wolverine that would be a HUGE chunk of the population of the planet.  lol

I keep hearing about this Jim Lee Mezco Wolverine but I haven't seen anything from Mezco that resembles Jim Lee art. I regretted not ordering what I think is being referred to but the reason I didn't is because I had the Revo yellow stripped Wolverine ordered already. Now that I have the Revo in hand, I need no other version.  

But yeah, this 31J Kai situation is annoying me. I hope they just fix it by making it available. My display has been waiting for this Kai a long time since I never opened my regular 31J in anticipation for the "ultimate" version. 

Yeah, my mind boggles that they don't make the main character's  final version, hero mecha easily available.

I mean that would be like producing a line of DYRL toys and then not releasing the Hikaru VF-1S Strike Valk.

There's absolutely no risk to Bandai making  by making it a web exclusive, that way everyone who wants them can order them  and Bandai run no risk of overproducing and sitting on dead stock.............but no that would be too logical.

3 minutes ago, Graham said:

Yeah, my mind boggles that they don't make the main character's  final version, hero mecha easily available.

I mean that would be like producing a line of DYRL toys and then not releasing the Hikaru VF-1S Strike Valk.

There's absolutely no risk to Bandai making  by making it a web exclusive, that way everyone who wants them can order them  and Bandai run no risk of overproducing and sitting on dead stock.............but no that would be too logical.

I hope the lottery is still generous. Maybe it'll end up as abundant as previous valks but the lottery part is a marketing ploy?

28 minutes ago, Graham said:

Wouldn't be the first time.  How many people bought Ozma's VF-25 hoping they'd have a chance in hell of ever getting his armor pack?  <_<

Sorry if I sound salty about this, I really don't care as much about the Kai as I care about Bandai making such inexplicable decisions with their production lines.  I get the idea of trying to promote attendance to events, but that's like rubbing salt in the wound for all the international customers that Bandai already does its best to ignore.

I've got this picture of Bandai's marketing team standing around and throwing obstacle after obstacle in the path of people trying to buy their stuff.  "Hmm...hurdles aren't doing it.. they made it past the moat.. maybe a flaming moat full of hurdles will do it."

Edited by Chronocidal

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

Wouldn't be the first time.  How many people bought Ozma's VF-25 hoping they'd have a chance in hell of ever getting his armor pack?  <_<

Sorry if I sound salty about this, I really don't care as much about the Kai as I care about Bandai making such inexplicable decisions with their production lines.  I get the idea of trying to promote attendance to events, but that's like rubbing salt in the wound for all the international customers that Bandai already does its best to ignore.

I've got this picture of Bandai's marketing team standing around and throwing obstacle after obstacle in the path of people trying to buy their stuff.  "Hmm...hurdles aren't doing it.. they made it past the moat.. maybe a flaming moat full of hurdles will do it."

There are a reason why they are getting so hard to obtain. Kawamori said it himself they are wrapped in tortillas! :p

Joking aside, the way Hot Toys does things is to add something to the package for event attendees. That's a decent compromise if you ask me. You go to the show and queue up like mad and they give you an extra Iron Man helmet or accessory, or you order normally outside of the show afterwards. 

http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000118371/

2017/10/12 Additional notes: 
【Announcement】 Yesterday the soul nation of October 11th We deeply apologize for the inconvenience incurred in accessing premium Bandai due to the receipt of preliminary purchase of holding commemoration product. 
Regarding the resumption of the 1st order receipt and the future response including the 2nd order acceptance, please wait for a while as we will inform you of the progress today. 
--------------------------------------------------

※ There is no delivery service. Please apply only for those who can visit. 
※ If you do not receive it, your order will be canceled with the end of the event. 
* If canceled, we will refund the amount less the cancellation fee of 540 yen (actual expenses) per order. 
Cancellation fee of 540 yen × order number will be incurred if you order an event holding commemorative item in multiple times. Please note. 

20 minutes ago, jenius said:

When is the event again?

12-1-17 to 12-3-17

"TAMASHII NATION 2017" 
reception method after the commemoration commodity purchase completion

Receiving place: Bersaar Akihabara B1F Sales floor 
period: Friday 1 December 2017 - Sunday December 3 (Sunday)
1 (Fri) 10: 00 - 20: 00 (last entry 19: 30) 
2 ) 10: 00-20: 00 (last entry 19: 30) 
3 days (Sunday) 10: 00 ~ 18: 00 (last entry 17: 30)

2 hours ago, F360 said:

http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000118371/

2017/10/12 Additional notes: 
【Announcement】 Yesterday the soul nation of October 11th We deeply apologize for the inconvenience incurred in accessing premium Bandai due to the receipt of preliminary purchase of holding commemoration product. 
Regarding the resumption of the 1st order receipt and the future response including the 2nd order acceptance, please wait for a while as we will inform you of the progress today. 
--------------------------------------------------

※ There is no delivery service. Please apply only for those who can visit. 
※ If you do not receive it, your order will be canceled with the end of the event. 
* If canceled, we will refund the amount less the cancellation fee of 540 yen (actual expenses) per order. 
Cancellation fee of 540 yen × order number will be incurred if you order an event holding commemorative item in multiple times. Please note. 

Someone at Bandai screwed the pooch thinking up this ordering system. 

Don't worry though as they'll release the Delta movie versions down the road with minor tweaks and make it so that everyone can get one.... Happily ever after. The End.:p

Its just a marketing gimmick. And as inexplicable as making HMR Roy a web exclusive with no new art work.

Look at the ruckus and interest they created. I think its funny.

3 hours ago, HayateAltoHunter said:

I wouldn’t trust ninnin; they canceled a preorder on me due to “high demand” and then offered me a store credit. 

Had to go through PayPal to get a refund. 

Edited by spacemanoeuvres

2 hours ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

I wouldn’t trust ninnin; they canceled a preorder on me due to “high demand” and then offered me a store credit. 

Had to go through PayPal to get a refund. 

Seems it's no longer available anyways but I had a similar experience with ninnin...no way I go with them especially after getting screwed by another place recently.