This is my first vf31 So my comments might be old news.  I haven’t  watched Delta yet.

I like the improvements and engineering over the vf15v2.  The cockpit torso area is so much improved.  The dx vf1 is still easier to transform though.

the design and aesthetic are really nice.  I like the radome over the gunpod rectangle thing.  It seemed like it was there to fill out the empty space where the arms used to be on the Vf25.  It doesn’t have something to peg into in battroid though so it might be loose in the long run, but that’s the same with the gun pods.  I didn’t like the parts forming shield on the vf25 though.  

Although the arms are easier to transform,  hiding them in thick cutouts in the wings isnt as good as the vf25 or vf1 as a design.  Seems lazy to hide them in those cutouts.

the backpack wings kibble is even bigger than the vf25, and looks weird, and is back heavy.  The cape on the vf1 could open up as wings in battroid mode or close as as cape/tail so it had minimal kibble. 

The landing gear in the knees are joke.  There’s room in the shins for proper landing gear.  

One foot is improved over the vf25.  The other foot recesses back in with minimal manipulation.  The legs look a lot like the 171.  I don’t know what the green things are in the leg engines but it looks like it has to do with the square and L parts.  

there are a lot of double hinges and are these stress points in the future?  I had a vf25 double hinge that broke even though It was on display and not during transformation.  There are a lot of parts around the cockpit on the vf31 that are hinges.  

The frosted glass is too thick, can’t see the pilots.  They’d be piloting blind.  

It feels really solid (but the vf1 dx feels even more  solid).  I might buy the vf31a if they ever rerelease it, since it has traditional wings or a recolor of it.  

This is a very cool addition to my collection of Macross.  Also glad that I didn’t have to go preorder madness to buy it.  

53 minutes ago, beatsing said:

Thanks.  That sucks.  He’d have to glue it on when he gets the part.  

Now that your handling your 31E you may have noticed that those parts just pop on and off... The guy throwing it in the box probably grabbed it there and didn't notice he popped it off. If he can get a part it's an easy fix... The problem is getting the part.

30 minutes ago, beatsing said:

I might buy the vf31a if they ever rerelease it, since it has traditional wings or a recolor of it.  

I have good news and bad news:

Good news: they've already released the 31A.

Bad news: aftermarket cost is like $600 right now.

1 hour ago, jenius said:

Now that your handling your 31E you may have noticed that those parts just pop on and off... The guy throwing it in the box probably grabbed it there and didn't notice he popped it off. If he can get a part it's an easy fix... The problem is getting the part.

Thanks Jenius I watched your YouTube guides.

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I have good news and bad news:

Good news: they've already released the 31A.

Bad news: aftermarket cost is like $600 right now.

That’s crazy, I thought the scalping on the dx vf1 anf vf25 was excessive.  Usually the cannon fodders are cheaper because they are less popular and plain colors.  I’ll wait for a reissue or repaint.  

32 minutes ago, Alex GS said:

Don't do it don't see Delta, just be happy with the beautiful  VF 31's  designs :D ,

I Kid I kid .... or am I ? :ph34r: 

It’ll be a while because I have long list of anime to catch up on, haha.

33 minutes ago, beatsing said:

Thanks Jenius I watched your YouTube guides.

Ha, this is embarrassing, I scrolled by that pic and was like "Oh yeah, I know that problem" but looking at it closer now it's the front part that popped off so that might be glued on. Disregard my previous comment about popping stuff on... my mistake! Thanks for checking out my vids! 

1 hour ago, beatsing said:

That’s crazy, I thought the scalping on the dx vf1 anf vf25 was excessive.  Usually the cannon fodders are cheaper because they are less popular and plain colors.  I’ll wait for a reissue or repaint.

The reason for the huge aftermarket markup is that the release of the VF-31A was such a cluster-frak on Bandai's part, coupled with many vendors who took in more orders than they could deliver... due again to Bandai's factory messing up production and suppliers messing up distribution; also, CF and plain it may be, the A has unique wings to the 31 line, and is the only one not skittles colored, which has it's own appeal, specially to real-world fighter aircraft enthusiasts.

You'll also need to wait until hell freezes over before you see a reissue of this particular bird since it was sold as a TWE item, ostensibly to order, and as such a one-off; the only hope would be for a release specific to one of the mainline characters (too lazy to look up which) who flew a somewhat personalized unit, a movie colors variant [if the movie(s) even have such a thing], or a CF with a different modex to distinguish it from the first, limited edition, version -- the price of which will eventually stabilize somewhere, but unless people who have extras start dumping them onto the market all at once, don't expect it to get anywhere near affordable.

18 minutes ago, mechaninac said:

The reason for the huge aftermarket markup is that the release of the VF-31A was such a cluster-frak on Bandai's part, coupled with many vendors who took in more orders than they could deliver... due again to Bandai's factory messing up production and suppliers messing up distribution; also, CF and plain it may be, the A has unique wings to the 31 line, and is the only one not skittles colored, which has it's own appeal, specially to real-world fighter aircraft enthusiasts.

You'll also need to wait until hell freezes over before you see a reissue of this particular bird since it was sold as a TWE item, ostensibly to order, and as such a one-off; the only hope would be for a release specific to one of the mainline characters (too lazy to look up which) who flew a somewhat personalized unit, a movie colors variant [if the movie(s) even have such a thing], or a CF with a different modex to distinguish it from the first, limited edition, version -- the price of which will eventually stabilize somewhere, but unless people who have extras start dumping them onto the market all at once, don't expect it to get anywhere near affordable.

As I recall, Arad has a flashback of having a custom VF-31A before joining Delta. I think that's our best hope for the time being and not unreasonable given that Arad's 31 toy sold like hot cakes after the armored parts were announced... and the armored parts also seem to have sold very well.

Other long shots are that the Macross Delta 2: Paint with the Colors of the Wind will have more 31As in it. Alto got a 171 so I wouldn't put a hero 31A out of the realm of possibility. 

8 hours ago, mechaninac said:

I don’t like to double dip on molds most of the time, and I’m good with just having Mirage’s 31C, but if they did a VF-31A in the typical “brownie” colors I would probably buy it. Assuming it wasn’t ludicrously expensive. 

6 hours ago, jeniusornome said:

I don’t like to double dip on molds most of the time, and I’m good with just having Mirage’s 31C, but if they did a VF-31A in the typical “brownie” colors I would probably buy it. Assuming it wasn’t ludicrously expensive. 

I'm like the polar opposite: If there is a character/mecha I really dig, I tend to grab multiples. Completing squadrons or teams really never is a goal of mine, but I will absolutely pay ridiculous prices to make sure my mind rests assured that I have gotten enough versions of my favorites. 

That said, having 3 Messers and 2 Arads satisfies me with this mold. But if I ever have a chance at a new release of the A....I all over that SOB.

Edited by Grimgerde

21 hours ago, jenius said:

Hey @jenius i thought the same thing (doesn't that part pivot slightly?) I haven't handled any of my 31's for more than 5 min:shok:... so far.

10 hours ago, jeniusornome said:

I tend to follow that same logic. But i don't need a DX-A. And , on principle, i think the cost is an affront. 

4 hours ago, Grimgerde said:

I'm like the polar opposite: If there is a character/mecha I really dig, I tend to grab multiples. Completing squadrons or teams really never is a goal of mine, but I will absolutely pay ridiculous prices to make sure my mind rests assured that I have gotten enough versions of my favorites. 

That said, having 3 Messers and 2 Arads satisfies me with this mold. But if I ever have a chance at a new release of the A....I all over that SOB.

Well, you CAN pick up a VF31-A for $five hundo amd change , as someone who will pay "ridiculous prices":p

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1089495328&ref=list&keyword=Vf-31&lang=en

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Some things you just need multiples of. Like how can I have a display for all of Delta, plus one for all Radome valks if I didn't have 2x of Chuck?

Lol.. The Radome's are pretty special ..

20 hours ago, Alex GS said:

Don't do it don't see Delta, just be happy with the beautiful  VF 31's  designs :D ,

I Kid I kid .... or am I ? :ph34r: 

Of course you watch it....Are you a Macross fan or not?

@Saburo  awesome pic. That looks shweet!:wub:

Edited by Bolt

Well, you CAN pick up a VF31-A for $five hundo amd change , as someone who will pay "ridiculous prices":p

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1089495328&ref=list&keyword=Vf-31&lang=en

Just made a series of ridiculously priced purchases. Plus I have a "no used item" policy.

39 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Mandrake rocks. Super rigid grading system.Everything i get there is like new.  But you don't have to take my word for it;)

True story. There have been times for me where it was supposed to be used but came sealed/never opened.

Edited by DYRL VF-1S

I think I might leave the wing missile packs off, or flip them backwards so they don't stick out as much.

Otherwise, it looks pretty good.

[edit] The landing gear are actually worse than the base VF-31, that's kinda impressive.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

3 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Sometimes I prefer to get “used” from Mandarake. Not because of price but because you know they inspected it and the figure is all good whereas a new figure could have unknown issues. 

I actually echo on that as well as I rather have it opened and inspected for issues before I buy it. If it has dings and a few flaws here and I'm not too picky about it, then count me in.

Two years ago, I picked up a 2nd hand MP Tigertracks which had paint bubbles and was slightly chipped at one of the fenders as per the description. Didn't really bug me and I picked it up for 6.5k yen while the other listing was at 8k yen (not to mention that I was actually looking for a copy at decent price). 

Edit: Doesn't look too bad on Arad as I might get one for Chuck's 31e instead or wait for his Supers. :p

Edited by borgified

5 hours ago, Saburo said:

@Ezwea1 has posted pics of the Armored Parts set, check out the twitter page to see more pics.

https://twitter.com/Ezwea1

*snips*

68498731_2420187358064625_8820245379955032064_o.thumb.jpg.9d609d1516eaee8796a66bdcdb6aadb8.jpg

68758614_2420187414731286_5923841086186323968_o.thumb.jpg.e4502e273ed30899f57f55c9387260d6.jpg

Pretty unique display stand :p Seriously though I thought it would be more white. Could be the lighting

Edited by wmkjr

9 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Sometimes I prefer to get “used” from Mandarake. Not because of price but because you know they inspected it and the figure is all good whereas a new figure could have unknown issues. 

I've only had one marginally bad experience with a used item on Mandarake, otherwise it's worked out really well and allowed me to flesh out my Macross collection with a bunch of stuff that I missed out on over the past 6-7 years (Frontier valks and the early HMRs) at reasonable prices.  The one marginally bad experience was with a YF-25 Durandal Alto (the version with the shoulder marking misprinted, but the corrected part was included in its still-sealed bag). It was listed as opened and QA inspected, but unused. The cardboard top for the styrofoam insert looked like it had been through hell, but the toy looked pristine. Turns out the parts of the wings that can spin all the way around were loose, which made it impossible to attach the super pack in fighter or battroid modes. Previous owner must have transformed it at least a few times for that to happen. Two tiny dabs of super glue later, to create a bit of resistance, and the problem was solved. So, "bad" with Mandarake is a relative thing. Their warehouse location, Sawara (SAHRA), is really good, too. When you buy from them, the item ships immediately and is generally packed way better than what the storefront locations do.