1 minute ago, mamboeidos said:

I do that too. Just fire and forget. Sometimes it feels like a surprise when u got a parcel suddenly out of nowhere.

I find it a bit hard to do that once I've received the shipping notification email; from that point on my inner days ticker goes off, and once the number of days since shipping goes well beyond the expected norm I start to get a bit antsy.  What is always nice is when a package ends up arriving earlier than usual; of course, the opposite, as with my last package, never ceases to suck, but as long as I do get what I bought it's all good, and I haven't been burned yet... knock on wood...

11 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Oh man, I thought that was a pic of your DX and I was about to declare you the best photographer and customizer of all time!

heheh if i had them skilz i would be a rich man!

as it is just sharing the love of the 31a.... and waiting for anything else 31a related to come out.... 

On 29/06/2018 at 11:18 AM, Bobby said:

Well bummer, after googling around I'm even seeing the port side gap issue online (from the Soul Nations Akiba Showroom exhibit sporting the same gap...)

akiba5.png

akiba1.jpg

akiba2.jpg

akiba3.jpg

akiba4.jpg

On 29/06/2018 at 11:40 AM, wm cheng said:

Mine doesn't have that issue either, but there are so many joints to massage - the more articulation you have, the greater the chances that something might be a tiny bit mis-aligned.

You know what could be the other issue? This.. The two "U" shaped bracket which makes the head to sit in its normal position is not pointed towards the back of head while in valk mode.

Not knowing about this and having the upside down "U" pointing downwards can case gaps while in valk mode.

Trust me.. It happened to me while I was doing the transformation from battriod to valk without looking at the instructions first. Was having a hard time to make two sides flush and it popped out of place.. Struggled with it for at least two hours and the looked at the pic, then I saw the error and no damages done to the valk, just small paint chippages present. 

Aye Crumba! That's what happens when you don't look at the instructions first. :rolleyes:

20180701_144347.jpg

Honest question. Why do some people try transforming stuff without first looking at the instructions? And I mean for new stuff they’ve never done before. Is it a macho pride ego thing? Sense of fulfilment from figuring it out by yourself? If so, not sure that’s worth risking scratches or worse, breakages on these expensive toys. 

The only other reason I could think of is laziness, but doesn’t make too much sense since there’s less effort involved in following instructions rather than figuring it out yourself.

If you are referring to my post from earlier, I was super careful, watched @Jenius video repeatedly and had the instructions out, but I think I got unlucky with a fault in the hinge area that nothing could of avoided other than leaving in the box and not touching, but that defeats the purpose if you ask me.

To give you an idea here are the shots of both sides, one has lumps in the plastic from a bad mold the other doesn't.

IMG_3017.JPG

IMG_3018.JPG

53 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

Honest question. Why do some people try transforming stuff without first looking at the instructions? And I mean for new stuff they’ve never done before. Is it a macho pride ego thing? Sense of fulfilment from figuring it out by yourself? If so, not sure that’s worth risking scratches or worse, breakages on these expensive toys. 

The only other reason I could think of is laziness, but doesn’t make too much sense since there’s less effort involved in following instructions rather than figuring it out yourself.

They may be too excited, or sometimes it's fun to figure things out? For one I am guilty of not properly 'reading' gunpla/kit instructions and then suffering the consequences. But for expensive stuff like these valks I'd 'read' the manual at least, and/or search transformation videos on youtube.

2 minutes ago, Saviant said:

If you are referring to my post from earlier, I was super careful, watched @Jenius video repeatedly and had the instructions out, but I think I got unlucky with a fault in the hinge area that nothing could of avoided other than leaving in the box and not touching, but that defeats the purpose if you ask me.

To give you an idea here are the shots of both sides, one has lumps in the plastic from a bad mold the other doesn't.

IMG_3017.JPG

So that part was always going to get scratched huh? How would one remove such lumps to avoid scratching?

6 minutes ago, hachi said:

So that part was always going to get scratched huh? How would one remove such lumps to avoid scratching?

Unless you wanted to sand it back and then repaint you couldn't, and I doubt bandai would do anything about it as I am not in Japan

1 hour ago, ArchieNov said:

I dont read the manuals either.

I just wait for jenius's video. :D

16 minutes ago, Saviant said:

IMG_3017.JPG

IMG_3018.JPG

QC issues. That is really too thick

But to be honest, it is designed to fail. a. It is a diecast material (meaning paint adhesion is not the best) and b. Not only it is a moving part but rubbing with each other as well.

Overall, I am not sure how it can be improved or better designed. I rather have paint scrapped than a broken key joint.

1 minute ago, chyll2 said:

But to be honest, it is designed to fail. a. It is a diecast material (meaning paint adhesion is not the best) and b. Not only it is a moving part but rubbing with each other as well.

Overall, I am not sure how it can be improved or better designed. I rather have paint scrapped than a broken key joint.

I agree and I am not worried that it happened, I brought it as it is a toy, not to sit in a box sealed to be resold at a later stage so things might happen to mark it more.

Ah, if you watched an instructional video, I consider that the same as looking at the instructions first.

My question was directed more at people who just try transforming something without any prior knowledge or outside help. I know there are some people who do that, and they appear to be pretty proud of themselves whenever they do so because they always seem to mention that they transformed something without any instructions.

Edited by ArchieNov

I am personally not one of those people. I will admit if I don't know something and will look it up first before doing something. I spent weeks watching and even during transforming mine kept rewinding @jeniusvideos to do it right first time. I even transformed both of my Riobot Mospeada ride armors the same way and not one single mark, other than some ball joints popping off. But even so I have no complaints about the bit of paint that has come off and if I was honestly worried about it I could just buy another one and put aside but I would rather getting the other ones to have a whole set.

4 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

For me it is the sense of discovery. Seeing the cleverness of the design as it naturally unfolds rather than having the cleverness spoiled by first seeing it in the instructions. Another factor is that my aging eyes just can't read the instruction sheets anymore.

I do always use the videos for Macross stuff since it tends to be more complex and much more risk of damage compared to a $20 Transformer.

1 hour ago, Matt Random said:

For me it is the sense of discovery. Seeing the cleverness of the design as it naturally unfolds rather than having the cleverness spoiled by first seeing it in the instructions. Another factor is that my aging eyes just can't read the instruction sheets anymore.

I do always use the videos for Macross stuff since it tends to be more complex and much more risk of damage compared to a $20 Transformer.

So if I understand correctly, you only risk transforming something without any instructions or video guides if it’s cheap or easily replaced. I guess that’s okay since the risk is still low.

I’m more interested in hearing from those that “wing it” on expensive items. Based on the responses so far, not sure if there’s anyone like that on this board since apparently “not using instructions” seems like it just refers to not using the actual printed manual that comes with the toy, rather than not using any sort of guide at all.

I do recall some people (from other boards) saying they transformed their MP-36 Megatron without any guides. I find that hard to believe, or maybe they’re just really clever or have no problem if their item gets damaged or scratched.

Edited by ArchieNov

5 hours ago, hachi said:

They may be too excited, or sometimes it's fun to figure things out? For one I am guilty of not properly 'reading' gunpla/kit instructions and then suffering the consequences. But for expensive stuff like these valks I'd 'read' the manual at least, and/or search transformation videos on youtube.

Simple Gundam kits are fun to build this way. Just snip the parts completely off the runners into a pile, maybe separate piles based on which runner they belong to, then work things out from there.

1 hour ago, ArchieNov said:

My question was directed more at people who just try transforming something without any prior knowledge or outside help. I know there are some people who do that, and they appear to be pretty proud of themselves whenever they do so because they always seem to mention that they transformed something without any instructions.

Same as above with simple Gundam transformation mechanics. The Wing Gundam looks dumb as hell in its "flight" mode, but getting it there is ridiculously simple such that you don't need instructions. Even some of the more complicated Gundam transformations can be pretty easily worked out through trial and error. It's mainly when it comes to a "real" transformer that I start looking at instructions beforehand.

That said, I'm coming to realize that with these expensive toys, their expense and rarity makes me more nervous than hyped to even touch them, much less transform them. Ironically, it's the significantly cheaper model kits that I feel more comfortable using like action figures, whereas the prefinished toys can only be static display pieces for fear of damaging them.

I always wait for Jenuis or Collection DX videos on Valks...I'm a coward...LOL. They are all so damn complicated these days -- Bandai anyway...Arcadia is not as bad, and up untill the 31, seemed sturdier than the DX's, so fear of breaking wasn't as prevalent. I don't like getting frustrated, which happens easy these days, so I just wait for the videos. 

EDIT:  ....Still have never attempted my Megatron MP-36..just really love bot mode, so I dunno, maybe sometime this summer...:rolleyes:

Edited by derex3592

No way would I blind-transform a DX the first time around.  Even when knowing exactly what you're doing accidents happens.....For years now, I've stopped transforming most my DXs/1/60. I might transform one of each type, but that's it. No point in transforming all color variants. One of the last DX I transformed was the DX Draken III...actually it's the only DX Delta I transformed. Mostly because of its completely original and impressive engineering....but was it fun? Nope....just a pain in the butt. 

I'm part of the crowd who prefer their VFs in fighter mode. I'd say 80% of all my VFs  are displayed so. The ones in Battroid are mostly due to lack of space,( and hoarding....). They're all the 'old' stuff. My 1/48, old V1 Yammies, crappy Toynamis to name but a few...(yes, I kept everything, to me they're all different enough to warrant having them in my collection. ). Also, aside from the 1/48s, I'd probably only get peanuts if I sold them off...so I keep them.

Like other have mentioned. For stuff such as  Frontiers, Deltas, V2s etc whenever I transform them , I always end up putting them right back into fighter mode. Not worth getting scratches, stress marks etc for a 10 minute look and a few pics. Especially considering their current cost, and the fact they're not 'toys' in the real sense of the word. (far from being robust, tons of tiny hinges everywhere etc etc.). In the 'olden days'....when most VFs didn't cost an arm and a leg, I did tend to transform them more. But now though, they're mostly display pieces..(and the occasional whooshing around when no one's looking....:ph34r: couldn't resist when I finally received that cursed Kairos.... )

HMR being the exception, I do enjoy transforming, posing and fiddling about with them. They're more action-figures like. Most importantly they're no way near as a pain in the backside to transform back and forth compared to their DX's and Yamarcadias brothers.....Difficult balance nowadays, the more advanced the engineering gets, the more the prices rise and more fragile things get (even today's so-called 'Chogokins' compared to their vintage counterparts are more akin to a DX model kit with a few die-cast parts). Sure we now have some amazing looking pieces, some exactly like their anime counterparts, but in the process we are loosing in playability, durability and most importantly fun....:(....One of the main reason I still collect vintage bots....plus you can't beat the looks of a display case full of red/yellow/green/blue bots from the 70's-80's.....

I'm actually in the same boat as @Matt Random although I did see Collection DX's review on the 31j first before I did the transformation on my copy of Mirage's 31c. It's that "U" assembly that got me totally spaced out as Chris (?) did mention it and I clued out when putting it back into valk mode, then I looked at the instructions after having trouble with it for two hours.

As for the 171EX Alto, I watched multiple vids before doing the transformation on my copy as I did read and hear that it was super frustrating (good thing that I passed on the 262). Those arm joints are freaking super tight and only cracked one of the two guiding pins for the wing exchange however the canopy hinge broke off at the joint where it was connected at the pin. My fault as I put too much pressure on the cover and got a second copy at a discount as it was sunburned.. Don't matter to me as I will kit bash it with the first one and add weathering effects on it.  

7 hours ago, chyll2 said:

Could be improved and better designed by not using diecast metal in painted transformation joints.  For the stresses exerted on those types of pieces, color-molded plastics are generally plenty strong.

I know people like metal parts for the weight, but I don't understand the obsession with it, and it's probably the worst possible option to use in joints on transforming toys.

34 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Could be improved and better designed by not using diecast metal in painted transformation joints.  For the stresses exerted on those types of pieces, color-molded plastics are generally plenty strong.

I know people like metal parts for the weight, but I don't understand the obsession with it, and it's probably the worst possible option to use in joints on transforming toys.

Puts on mechanical engineer hat.

Considering the localized forces on those joints, metal is absolutely the way to go. Plastic would have fatigue issues pretty quickly around the ball-joint.

However, instead of paint, a powdercoat would have been more durable.

9 hours ago, chyll2 said:

Yes, I have to agree that's a failed design for have a folding joint like that. The YF-30 also suffered from that as well. I think the only solution is to have more clearance.

2 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Puts on mechanical engineer hat.

Considering the localized forces on those joints, metal is absolutely the way to go. Plastic would have fatigue issues pretty quickly around the ball-joint.

However, instead of paint, a powdercoat would have been more durable.

What’s the sifference night n peice for powder coating?  Doesn’t that also give it an odd, grainy texture?

15 hours ago, borgified said:

You know what could be the other issue? This.. The two "U" shaped bracket which makes the head to sit in its normal position is not pointed towards the back of head while in valk mode.

Not knowing about this and having the upside down "U" pointing downwards can case gaps while in valk mode.

Trust me.. It happened to me while I was doing the transformation from battriod to valk without looking at the instructions first. Was having a hard time to make two sides flush and it popped out of place.. Struggled with it for at least two hours and the looked at the pic, then I saw the error and no damages done to the valk, just small paint chippages present. 

Aye Crumba! That's what happens when you don't look at the instructions first. :rolleyes:

20180701_144347.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion and images. I just tried transforming it leaving the head fully extended and completely out of the way to test if this might be the issue, but unfortunately it still gaps on the port side. In direct comparison my VF-31 J, F, & C all are dead on in alignment after a couple transformations. Good news is it's gotten to the point where it doesn't bother me anymore...I am just glad to have the 31A!

Edited by Bobby

Translated from Japanese, the contents of the set. It does come with the connecting parts.

· Lil · Draken 2

· Lil · Draken connection parts for left and right (for fighter / Gower walk)

· Lil · Draken connection parts for left and right (for BATROID)

· Dedicated pedestal × 2

The vf-31S will be my first vf-31.  I definitely consult a video (or 2) before I try transforming anything, but I'll only turn to the manual if I feel really stuck and/or I'm really pushing the limit on a part.  I also transform/handle my first (and sometimes only) version of a particular model a fair number of times more than it seems some people here do.  I need to feel 90-100% confident I understand entirely how it works.  Also, anything I open is for my enjoyment first and foremost, so I don't mind a little bit of "wear" on my valks, especially if it is the first of that mold that i have.  I still handle them with care, but I don't feel bad about handling them.

The thing that stops me from handling my collection more is how anal I can be about poses.  These are display toys more than anything else to me, so when I feel like handling a particular piece, I remember how long its going to take for me to get it back into a pose that I feel comfortable with.  I often decide it just isn't worth handling in the first place. :wacko:

Edited by HardlyNever

2 hours ago, Killaforevah said:

I haven't seen the vf-31 lilldraken posted anywhere here.

http://tamashii.jp/item/12636/?wovn=en

does it come with the valk adapters?

It's buried a couple of pages back. 411-412ish. This thread moves pretty fast so if you don't use the follow content, you'll miss it.

Edited by wmkjr