Got my super packs yesterday and slapped them onto Hayate's valk, they look pretty good. ^_^  Was impressed by the mechanism to hold the boosters onto the wings, and everything seems to fit pretty well.

Was disappointed to see that there's no mechanism to rotate the arm shields for the reaction weapons though, and no possible mounts for pylons, so either they're planning on making a new shield for later, or I'm going to have to make something myself.  I might have to go build up a copy of the shield with built-in pylons tonight, and see if I can't rig a simple rotation mechanism into the hardpoint mount for the wing.

So.. I was paying my VF-31C mirage Preorder today (just to get it out of the way) and I noticed NY exchange rate is not great.

Here's NY's exchange rate vs Paypal's. I guess the lesson learned is always check which rate is better before committing.

ny.png

P.S. I have a Hi-Metal R Spartan combined with this PO which is why it looks more expensive than it really is :p

Edited by Duymon

1 minute ago, Duymon said:

So.. I was paying my VF-31C mirage Preorder today (just to get it out of the way) and I noticed NY exchange rate is not great.

Here's NY's exchange rate vs Paypal's. I guess the lesson learned is always check which rate is better before committing.

ny.png

Both of those are high. Use your cc conversion rate, currently 1 USD = 110 JY. 

A few weeks ago rates were way better. 1 USD was = 114.5 JY. 

1 minute ago, sh9000 said:

Why don't you select JPY instead of USD from NY?

I did, and that's why I have the paypal rate below. I paid Yen to NY which was only 240 USD.

I just wanted to let everyone know that NY's built-in exchange rate sux :D

Edited by Duymon

Reading this Paypal Conversion talks in-between threads, I got curious. If I'm going use my Paypal Balance to pay these preorders, does that mean Paypal is using their Currency Conversion instead?

5 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Reading this Paypal Conversion talks in-between threads, I got curious. If I'm going use my Paypal Balance to pay these preorders, does that mean Paypal is using their Currency Conversion instead?

Yap pretty much. If you pay from your paypal balance you always end up using paypal's conversion

1 hour ago, Duymon said:

Yap pretty much. If you pay from your paypal balance you always end up using paypal's conversion

Is there a way to NOT use Paypal's conversion and leave the conversion up to your bank? It used to be an option but I haven't been able to do it for at least a year now.

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

Is there a way to NOT use Paypal's conversion and leave the conversion up to your bank? It used to be an option but I haven't been able to do it for at least a year now.

you can't not use a bank account for that, you will need to use a credit card.  Mastercard, Visa or American express.

also you can not have any balance in your paypal account, because they will use the balance first which they automatically uses paypal conversion .

here's my quick guide for paying over your smart phone.

Paypal.thumb.jpg.f8316a02083f705c6235b2bb01b52723.jpg

Yep! F360 and others helped me get through the woes of PayPal conversion fees. In the end, I opened a new PayPal account linked to a credit card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees just to buy toys from Japan with. Make sure the card is Visa or MasterCard because even though Discover doesn't have foreign transaction fees, it won't give you the option shown above. I don't think AmEx works either. 

There is also a way to setup autopay through PayPal but I don't recommend it because they have recently had "glitches" where it switches back to their conversion rate without warning and they play dumb with no solution other than for you to cancel the order...and we all know that doesn't happen when we just stayed up to the break of dawn to secure a preorder during a 2 second window. :D

This is the long way, and the original default way.  Will work with your billing agreements . example. hlj, mandarake, cdjapan, etc. 

BUT they have a "Glitch" wink wink that happens to change your SET default back to using paypal conversion "randomly" aka when you are about to pay some incoming preorders <_< 

open the pic on a new window for better viewing .

PPCC.thumb.jpg.d4c6b9f6e140f3e64e48c47276c4cd4f.jpg

last time I checked they charge 3.5% conversion fee (and which I believe has increased now). Anyway, in order to save, you have to look for a Credit card that either does not charge conversion fee or in do fact charge you but at a lower rate.

46 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Oh, okay, use a card. Got it. I've just been having them deduct from my bank account. That'll save me so much in the long run. Thanks so much! :D

Using a credit card will give you the conversion option , BUT you NEED to use a credit card that have NO foreign transaction fees to fully take advantage of the conversion rate.

Check if your credit card offers that. if not, you will need to apply for one that does.

34 minutes ago, chyll2 said:

last time I checked they charge 3.5% conversion fee (and which I believe has increased now). Anyway, in order to save, you have to look for a Credit card that either does not charge conversion fee or in do fact charge you but at a lower rate.

yup, you are right , just changing to your credit cards conversion does not automatically save you lots if your credit card still charges foreign transaction fees.

3 hours ago, brannon said:

All capital one cards have no foreign transaction fee I even got a refund when PayPal charged me a fee when I used my capital 1 card

I opened a Capital One Quicksilver card just to buy toys from Japan. 

No foreign transaction fees, 1.5% cash back, and $100 sign on bonus.

I got enough rewards to buy a DX in about 2 months :lol:

5 hours ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

That's awsome that's the same card I have 1.5% cash back on all toy transactions lol. Always glad to help.

7 hours ago, chyll2 said:

I cant really get a clear picture in camera but I noticed on my 31F that the right forward wing has more downward angle when compared to left. Is this normal?

I have that same problem on my J.

1 hour ago, Xigfrid said:

I snipped open the arm cover to see if it hides a missile attachment or else that could handle two Reaction missiles. 

Sadely there was nothing such a complex hidden mechanism, just plain plastic. 

Guess it's just going to require entirely new parts to do the rotation and missiles then.  Really no room in that shield to put the pivot, though you could make a different top panel to hold the pylons.

Disappointing, but I suppose it's standard operating procedure for Bandai at this point, so I don't know why I was hopeful. <_<

15 hours ago, F360 said:

Using a credit card will give you the conversion option , BUT you NEED to use a credit card that have NO foreign transaction fees to fully take advantage of the conversion rate.

Check if your credit card offers that. if not, you will need to apply for one that does.

yup, you are right , just changing to your credit cards conversion does not automatically save you lots if your credit card still charges foreign transaction fees.

Just wanted to say thanks again. I bought an HLJ purchase last night with credit card (1% transaction fee, oh well), and couldn't change that conversion rate fast enough.

On 6/9/2017 at 6:52 AM, chyll2 said:

I cant really get a clear picture in camera but I noticed on my 31F that the right forward wing has more downward angle when compared to left. Is this normal?

In some cases, it helps to shave down the rectangular pegs and even out any surfaces that might be sticking out further, preventing the wing from folding up properly. I had to do that with a 31J.

On 6/9/2017 at 5:27 AM, spacemanoeuvres said:

I was super happy when they got rid of the foreign transaction fees on my Amazon Prime Chase card.

I did it! I did it! I purchased one! Someone on a different message board linked to a Messer VF-31 for a reasonable price. My credit card does not charge for a foreign transaction. I purchased one!

In other news....I just spent ~$230-ish on ONE figure. I don't exactly have a ton of disposable income.

*bank account stomach growls*

WHAT HAVE I DONE????

OH MY GOD MY MONEY.

MY MONEY

MY MONEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :eek: 

Edited by Lord_Of_Tetris

25 minutes ago, Lord_Of_Tetris said:

Shipping estimate: 3 weeks.

My Mirage Vf-31C is still some way off (along with my Millia VF-1J :wub: ) but to be frank, I can wait for both of those. Almost indefinitely, since my prime directive as a Macross toy collector at the moment is:

KAIROS

Somebody needs to show me the prototype NOW!!!