Damn, too many purchase combinations of the VF-31. I personally don't want to get all but I will prioritise the following:

VF-31A

VF-31F Messer x Keith SV-262 - rivals

VF-31F Messer x VF-31S Arad - dual emblems

VF-31J and C - Hayate Mirage pair

VF-31E and C - Team MakaReina support sub-unit :wub: :wub: :wub:

Landing gear actually looks ok in the animation, one can hope it will be translated well on the DX.

So... Tacovalk then? :p

I would have preferred it angle the stance forward a bit, but yes looks good in animation.

Lets hope bandai somehow angles the gear enough to avoid the knee scraping the shin when the weight of the fighter (or in future, any packs) are on them...

haha not unless it doesnt unfold its radome when deployed.... :p

Anyone else notice the 31C's radome is more an oval than a perfect circle? Or was I seeing things?

Edited by Sildani

I agree, Ignacio. I'm thinking there's a curved linkage, one end attached to a pivot point within the leg, and the other to the top of the visible strut. Upon retraction, the strut likely bends forward and retracts aft into the leg, guided and held by the internal linkage. That's the simplest and most logical way I can see its being done. It also makes sense for the bend near the wheel, which corresponds to the shape of the thigh above the knee. If this is indeed the way it's done, I'd assume the internal linkage will have two locking detentes corresponding to the extended and retracted positions, or at least one for the extended position, with the lower strut also locking in place by some mechanical means. I'll be a huge fan of this setup if that's how it's finally realized on the DX toy.

Incidentally, what I've described is a very simplified B-1B Lancer main gear design. The struts themselves do not directly attach to the airframe, but to an intermediate set of linkages which fold during the retraction cycle. It's a neat thing to see, and even neater to feel if you're in the cockpit. I always repressed a small fear of bouncing off the jacks. It's about a 12 foot drop if the nose unseats.

Anyone else notice the 31C's radome is more an oval than a perfect circle? Or was I seeing things?

It's oval/diamond shaped. You can see it in the shot above the planet with the boosters on and also watch it spinning when Chuck is talking on the coms. It's uneven when spinning.

post-7577-0-37840100-1460413098_thumb.pngpost-7577-0-84163500-1460413164_thumb.pngpost-7577-0-59259600-1460412696_thumb.pngpost-7577-0-53206800-1460412704_thumb.png

Edited by wmkjr

It's oval/diamond shaped. You can see it in the shot above the planet with the boosters on and also watch it spinning when Chuck is talking on the coms. It's uneven when spinning.

*snip*

Yup, looks oval to me too. I check the scene prior to those snapshots when the pilot asked Reina for some jellyfish miso something, and when Reina answered on her overhead you can see the radome rotates unevenly. So yeah, I'm #TeamOvalRadome. ;)

I wonder how they are going to acommodate the landing gear, the joint for the knees and the joint for the kneecaps.

That gear strut is housed on the lower leg and it seems it pushes out and rotates.

Am hoping that it wouldn't be difficult to pull out or store...do not want to end up with any loose knee syndrome...

I'm reminded of the mudguards that many Russians designs have as part of their general suitability for less prepared runways.

On one hand, Kawamori has been very into the Russian look in his post-2000 valks. On the other hand, the idea of a VF having to use its wheels on a dirt strip is unlikely at best. So, maybe chalk it up to aesthetics or coincidence?

I don't know about you, but I'm gonna need a 31A; Delta 3, 4, and 5 for OTP shipping purposes; and possibly Delta 2 as well just because.

BTW is the marking on the 31A 'alpha 01'?

yeah it certainly will be hard to not want to buy all of them that's for sure! for me personally im just not in as good a position as I was 12 to 18 months ago but I definitely have some serious thinking and planning to do in the next 6 months if I do decide to buy the lot.

It does look like it is "01" doesn't it.. so that one is meant to be a cannon fodder variant yes or no? im still a little confused by it all.

also trying to find somewhere to watch the 2nd episode.. with subs..

Mr March mentioned something in the delta ep2 thread that got me thinking and possibly explaining the a01 designation..

Perhaps the a01 is a test valk and hayate would be the test pilot of that valk. It would give more weight to why he is accepted into the squad, plus why there arent any other 31A's lying around in the tarmac.

Eventually he would push the valk to its limits so much that to utilise its higher potential they convert the a01 into the 31J type and guess who gets to pilot it...hayate of course!

They then approve the 31A non-FSW version for mass production based on hayate's test pilot trials!

Possible? :rolleyes:

The 31A looked as if it doesn't have those large fold quartz crystals. I wonder why.

because that crap is expensive, and we're no gonna be sticking it on grunt planes.

Edited by anime52k8

It's there. Just painted over to keep with the low viz scheme. :p

But it won't work if it can't be seen, all pink & sparkly...

My thought - we know the FQ has value in the inertial dampening stuff & probably a few other elements of the Valk. But, the big gaudy fold crystal pieces have really only been seen on the YF-29 (at least in the show), which was specifically built to disrupt fold communications. The VF-31's in Delta Platoon have the big crystals as part of their Sound Force 2 role, but the 31A's don't need them as part of their more-normal VF role.

Edited by Kelsain

Guest davidwhangchoi

• good time to bump!

if anyone is not on the list and wishes to be added on just post your list and i'll update it later at night.

Macross World member's favorite VF-31 :wub:

VF-31S

Delta 01 -pilot* Arad Mölders

-associated waifu*** Mikumo Guynemer

1. Seti88

Scyla

Andy NYK

barurutor

derex3592 (tie w/ delta 02)

no3ljm

Shukenzero

valhary

Dio

VF-31F

Delta 02 -pilot* Messer Ihlefeld

-associated waifu*** Kaname Buccaneer

1. Raptor One

Saburo (tie w/ delta 04)

Graham

chyll2

derex3592 (tie w/ delta 01)

Sildani

Kaneda's Bike

charger69

raptormesh

akteon

NZEOD

RocketGTR

McFly!!

M'Kyuun

VF-31E

Delta 03 -pilot* Chuck Mustang

-associated waifu Reina Prowler

1. Major Focker

wmkjr (tie w/ delta 04)

VF-31C

Delta 04 -pilot* Mirage Fallyna Jenius :wub:

-associated waifu*** Makina Nakajima

1. davidwhangchoi

mod David

Saburo (tie w/ delta 02)

Bub

wmkjr (tie w/ delta 03)

anime52k8

ManhattanProject972 (tie w/ delta 05)

VF-31J

Delta 05 -pilot** Hayate Immelmann

-associated waifu*** Freyja Wion

1. abbadon

Lorindor

ManhattanProject972 (tie w/ delta 04)

VF-31A

1. GabrielV

1/1 LowViz Lurker

sandman

Ignacio Ocamica

Moosey

physioguy

Spanner76

will update weekly or bi-weekly. more frequent when we get closer to pre-order stage.

* may be subject to change :p

**not seen yet in anime

*** speculated based on interactions