Thanks for the link, Chaff.g. After looking at the pics, I'm also of the opinion that the panels with the 05 marking are the gear doors. I'm guessing Bandai employed either a folding or an extending gear, although my feeling is the former, esp since we got a trial run of that idea in the VF-19 Advance. I was also looking at the underside of the wings to see if there was a possibility of their being installed there, but I couldn't see any definitive evidence. As they progress with these new valk designs, I think Bandai are trying different ideas to set them apart from what's been done already. Innovation is great so long as it doesn't compromise integrity over time.

I think his problem is less about the singing, which took place at a concert in +, versus a group of ladies singing and dancing in the middle of a firefight looking dolled up and flying around the battlefield waving magic-looking shields everywhere.

Yes. One of the best aspects of most of the Macross series has been its attempt to ground it in in some realistic military sensibility. There's a nice bit of sci-fi tech to expand its environment beyond Earth, but the overall dynamics involved in aerial/space battles, and the general mechanics of a real world fighter, are generally observed, which maintains a level of plausibility. There's a grain of reality to it that makes it easier to take seriously, I guess is what I'm saying. When you put flashy pop stars singing their little asses off riding on a stage mounted to a fighter and on magic rainbow boomerangs in the heat of combat...all is lost in an infinite sea of ridiculousness. I can suspend by disbelief only so far. I prefer my Macross to have a certain amount of grittiness, esp where the valks and combat are concerned. The original series, 0, and Plus did a good job of capturing the feel of people involved in a military environment, with a healthy dose of levity thrown in. I'm not against the music aspect; I thought the explanation for it in SDFM, 0, and Plus were realistic, and served the greater story extremely well. Sing-battling with transforming fighter jets is just, well, stupid. :rolleyes: That said, I've only seen a trailer or two, so I'm quite possibly judging prematurely, and out of ignorance for what is really happening, but sing-battling was my impression, and that is not my cup of tea. I most sincerely hope I'm wrong, as Macross is the chocolate to my inner fat kid, and I really, really want to like it. :D

I think the problem is that Delta is too far in the future. It's not magic because in the future magic is possible via technology. Vagina based jetpacks? Sure, everyone has one in the future. Instant teleportation and personal force fields? Duh, that's how everyone picks their apples.

The conventional location would be the front of the legs in the shin area. In the 30, you can see the shin area having some width to accomodate hinges and such.

That area on the 31 is now reduced to a thin strip from the knee to the ankles.

Its a much thinner area than usual, due to the shin having an edged top not a flat surface.

Not too confident there would be space for landing gears there, thats why was looking at perhaps an alternative, from the side location.

more like F-16 config where the gears are angled outwards..

I do see your point but even with the F-16 and other sideways deploying landing gear (and F-14 for example) the landing gear physically changes shape in order to fit into the tighter stowage spaces available in the air frame. Similar to the landing gear on the 21-22 where the wheels swivel 90 degrees. Anything more might be too complex or costly to engineer into the toy. I reckon it will be a more narrow setup similar to the 25-27-29 as Mommar suggested which does take up very little room. What ever they decide to do I just hope that it does include landing gear..

Either that or it will open up like the thin bit of the shin does on the 25/27/29 instead.

Edited by spanner76

I think the problem is that Delta is too far in the future. It's not magic because in the future magic is possible via technology. Vagina based jetpacks? Sure, everyone has one in the future. Instant teleportation and personal force fields? Duh, that's how everyone picks their apples.

.... What? I hope that's a typo. :lol:

Are we really worried that there won't be landing gear on the vf-31? Ever dx release has included them.

That's because the Valkyries the toys are based on always had them. These 31s, and Delta itself, are so different that they may be maintained differently. What if Battroid was the default maintenance mode, with everything accessible? And what if there were only these 5 VF-31s? Keep them in Battroid when not in battle and put them on a moving pallet to move them around. You do that, landing gear aren't needed at all. Land in Gerwalk, disembark, Valkyrie then transforms into Battroid upon the crew chief's need. Change to Gerwalk to get into the cockpit.

Potentially.

That's because the Valkyries the toys are based on always had them. These 31s, and Delta itself, are so different that they may be maintained differently. What if Battroid was the default maintenance mode, with everything accessible? And what if there were only these 5 VF-31s? Keep them in Battroid when not in battle and put them on a moving pallet to move them around. You do that, landing gear aren't needed at all. Land in Gerwalk, disembark, Valkyrie then transforms into Battroid upon the crew chief's need. Change to Gerwalk to get into the cockpit.

Potentially.

good points and I get it. I guess it won't be a deal breaker if they don't end up having landing gear but my worry is if they start deleting certain functions that Valkyrie's have had since their inception then the toys might start to feel somewhat incomplete all for the sake of the manufacturer saving a few bucks not designing in certain components. I'd even go as far as it could be something that both the toy maker & anime writers jointly decided on prior to production not to have any landing gear in order to reduce costs. Yes I have to say I prefer to have a Valkyrie displayed in a flying pose when in fighter mode and not sitting on its wheels but to me personally its still gonna suck if they don't have landing gear. In the end what ever happens, happens eh.

Edited by spanner76

Potentially.

This is true but the VF-19Kai comes to mind. Was that EVER shown resting on it's gear? It was pretty much always stored in Battroid mode, but it still had gears. I just don't see a aviation enthusiast like Kawamori suddenly designing a valk without landing gear.

Let's also remember it was based on the 19, which had gear. Let's also remember the toys were all recovers, mostly, of previous 19 toys, and for sure the makers weren't going to engineer landing gear out of the toy, regardless of whether the Valkyrie in the show had them or not.

I DOUBT Kawamori would design a Valkyrie without an undercarriage, too. But then, I doubted there'd be a Macross with magical girl sequences too.

This is true but the VF-19Kai comes to mind. Was that EVER shown resting on it's gear? It was pretty much always stored in Battroid mode, but it still had gears. I just don't see a aviation enthusiast like Kawamori suddenly designing a valk without landing gear.

post-1819-0-01510800-1452979129_thumb.jpg

Oh ye of little faith.

Bomba.

VF-19 has landing gear.

CRTaNNb.png

I think there is also a scene with emerald force in the hanger before operation star gazer.

Edit:

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Maybe the landing gear magically fold and latch onto the VF 31 right before it needs them so they're no longer internally housed.

Heh. They'll appear naked in a flash of light, before the gear doors fold in to cover their exposed oleos...

Sorry, for I moment I felt weird while writing. I'm better now.

been out of the loop. Did the preorder already happen?

This post got me thinking. The prototype of the SV-262 looks far more advanced than the VF-31. Could it be that Bandai would release the SV-262? I doubt that so why is it that way? I assume it could be that the release of the Delta Valkyries is still far away given the state of the prototype. It could be 2017 away seeing how there will be a YF-29 Alto Custom in April and maybe a VF-25G reissue later on.

How long after the release of the Frontier preview episode where the V1 VF-25 released?

I suspected the macross modellers products would be primarly focused at the february wonderfest, but appears that the soul nations exhibit would also be there.

So crossing fingers maybe there would be further info....

Not likely, Bandai does its own events.

btw is there a thread summarising the events of the year?

How long after the release of the Frontier preview episode where the V1 VF-25 released?

PREVIEW episode?? Haha. IIRC they didn't even come out until after the entire show finished airing.

Edited by Renato

PREVIEW episode?? Haha. IIRC they didn't even come out until after the entire show finished airing.

Well that gives us a nice time frame for the VF-31 DX Chogokin release doesn't it? ^_^

[edit:] Wikipedia states that the last episode of Frontier aired on November the 25th 2008. The first news I could find on the V1 VF-25 was from the 29th of August 2008. I assume the release date was the 31st of December 2008. Since they revealed the toy news about the VF-31 so early in the Delta lifespan probably indicates that we will get the VF-31 hopefully later this year. :)

Ah yes that looked so promising. :p

public_diary_00118_00000001.jpgpublic_diary_00118_00000004.jpg

(http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=27410)

Edited by Scyla

Don't know why so many of you are panicking about landing gear.

All we've seen so far are likely early stage, non-transforming, non-articulated sculpts, rushed out on a 3D printer or maybe hand sculpted.

I'm certain the finished toys will have functioning landing gear.

This is just so much of a non-issue in my opinion, it's not even worth worrying about.

Graham

Don't know why so many of you are panicking about landing gear.

All we've seen so far are likely early stage, non-transforming, non-articulated sculpts, rushed out on a 3D printer or maybe hand sculpted.

I'm certain the finished toys will have functioning landing gear.

This is just so much of a non-issue in my opinion, it's not even worth worrying about.

Graham

Yea, we are talking about Kawamori-sensei, he won't let something like that slide on the DXs.

It is a non issue for me too but I got the impression that other members thought the prototype was close to a production version of the toy so I shared my thoughts on why I think this is not the case. I could be wrong though as this is always a possibility.

Well that gives us a nice time frame for the VF-31 DX Chogokin release doesn't it? ^_^

[edit:] Wikipedia states that the last episode of Frontier aired on November the 25th 2008. The first news I could find on the V1 VF-25 was from the 29th of August 2008. I assume the release date was the 31st of December 2008. Since they revealed the toy news about the VF-31 so early in the Delta lifespan probably indicates that we will get the VF-31 hopefully later this year. :)

Ah yes that looked so promising. :p

public_diary_00118_00000001.jpgpublic_diary_00118_00000004.jpg

(http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=27410)

I'd expect them to be released earlier in Delta's run than the first Frontier Valks were.

The situations between production, state of the franchise, the number of sponsors, etc, is very different this time around, as can be seen by the fact that they had toy prototypes for Delta half a year before the show even airs, and as we have discussed on multiple occasions on the podcast.

Edited by Tochiro