Radio controlled Valkyries

valkyrie_cadman

Super cool. I'm amazed that the planes fly without tailerons; I always thought a shape like that wouldn't fly without them.

Why didn't they show the planes going to Gerwalk or Battroid?

Yeah this was way cool! I want one! Flew very well ebentually. Proves a elevatorless design can work. But had a little trouble getting it airborne initially obviously without having elevators so i wonder why they didn't go with thrust vectoring exhaust nozzles? Or did they?

Using the beaver tail as an elevator was very clever.

yes it was very clever but in most cases it wouldn't be enough surface area to influence significant maneuvers. If they enlarged it then it wouldn't look true to the planes original form. That's why I thought having the exhaust nozzles 2D vectoring (vertical) would further compensate for no elevators. Watching the video again the exhaust nozzles definitely do not vector. Both the models seem to struggle to get airborne initially.

Or maybe my understanding of aerodynamics is too feeble..

As you know, I have already posted a comment on his/ their video in Japanese.

河森さん曰く、VFはファイター形態は空力を考慮して設計されていて、飛行可能なはずというようなことをインタビューでおっしゃられていました。持論が証明されたことで、河森さんもお喜びになると思います。

Kawamori-san has said the figures of the fighter mode of the VFs have been designed considering aerodynamics, so they would be able to fly, in some interviews or some sort. I think he will be pleased to see them because his pet theory was proved to be true.

And those ones will meet "the original author" according to the video.

the VF19 will be alot harder as there is a lot of airframe forward of the wing roots and the front canards are small and canted upwards. Getting the C/G right will be even harder on that airframe. YOu'll notice the stall speed on these VF1s is REALLY high too!

A VF-0D on the other hand....

I used to build and fly alot before my time in the military and thats one of the things that got me into working with and operating the IEDD Robots.

These are some really good looking airframes in the air and roll at a believable rate.

Edited by NZEOD

I have seen a SV-51 R/C plane which was pretty cool! I reckon a VF-11 would be pretty easy to make easily flyable! It doesn't have elevators either but it has got forward canards. YF-30 is another good candidate for R/C too!

And yes a VF-0D would be epic!

Edited by spanner76

yes it was very clever but in most cases it wouldn't be enough surface area to influence significant maneuvers. If they enlarged it then it wouldn't look true to the planes original form. That's why I thought having the exhaust nozzles 2D vectoring (vertical) would further compensate for no elevators. Watching the video again the exhaust nozzles definitely do not vector. Both the models seem to struggle to get airborne initially.

Or maybe my understanding of aerodynamics is too feeble..

2D vector would be good. Another method of getting the right AoA is deflecting both rudders inward, pushing the tail down. Legacy Hornets do this.

I guess leading edge slats & flaps on a R/C model are a bit much to ask for?

Oh yeah that totally skipped my mind. Some real life jet fighters do something similar if they aren't equipped with air/speed brakes like the super hornet for example. I guess that could be one of the ways how they overcame a elevatorless design in the Macross universe. Inward deflecting rudders, a movable beaver tail and thrust vectoring exhausts. Still only pure speculation though! ;)

Taking a couple of repeat looks at the video, I figured that they basically designed these VF-1s as stretched delta wings...like a Mirage or a EuroTyphoon, with an element from flying wings thrown in.

They have broader chord[width] wings than the line art, fixed at an optimum sweep, working ailerons for roll control and possibly includes mixed/combined movement 'Up/Down' to work along with the beavertail elevator.

The clue concerning the use of delta fighter design principles was the airfoil shape they used for the wings; they use a recurve in the under surface towards the trailing edge[..visible on the vid frame showing the wing ribs lined up together..] called reflex in aviation design.
It specifically helps flying wing designs remain stable without a tail end horizontal stabilizer; preventing 'pitch up' or 'down.

I cannot wait until these gentlemen share the plans and other people have a chance to upscale, improve modify and add extra flight features. These are better than all the profile foamies that have come before!

The 19s cheat alittle in that the canards are enlarged and on a horizontal plane now instead of the smaller 45deg ones on the lineup and kitsets

I had noticed the physical dimensions of those VF-1 looked a bit different. Clearly changes have to be made in order for them to achieve some level of stable flight. Higher speed flight won't be such an issue, its the low speed handling (take off and landing in particular) which would be more difficult to control.

I guess it comes down to the fact that most of if not all the Valkyrie's aren't completely aerodynamically competent, some far less than others. After all they are just anime designs and the designers can just shrug it off with "well they are mostly designed for space flight in mind" which is cool with me.. Anime magic is a wonderful thing!

And that Yukikaze model looks awesome! Pretty good size too!

Dont forget even alot of Modern fighters arent flyable without computer control assistance. So making a scale model version to fly without that assistance in flight, liberties have to be taken.

Dont forget even alot of Modern fighters arent flyable without computer control assistance. So making a scale model version to fly without that assistance in flight, liberties have to be taken.

ahh yes indeed you are right! So yeah I guess a perfectly flyable Valkyrie is certainly possible considering all the factors!

I'd imagine for the R/C plane they would need to be using a good gyro to aid stability like they have in most of the good helicopters?

Spot on observations, Spanner 76![..re: the lack of thrust vectoring nozzles, low speed handling & flaps..]

This model has me intrigued and I'd definitely want one if I got into DFs(..prop & gliders only now..)

Everything you stated would probably be the way to go:
- Instead of roll control/elevator & yaw being 'ailerons+beavertail'-mixed...

Use:
- 2D thrust vectoring for pitch & roll control; programmed for 'severity of throw' opposite OR together.
-Wings with full flaps or flaps+slats instead of ailerons; programmed like a glider/sailplane to 'crow' for low speed flight, better
take-off & slow handling/landings!
-Rudders, w/'Inward', hi-'AoA' capability as well.

I seriously believe these gentlemen focused on the simplest, most reliable approaches for a first try at a 'close-to-anime' accurate model here: focus on CG balance, lightness and as few surfaces moving as possible.
They DO know their stuff!

However...IF this plane is modified to incorporate these other controls & maybe built slightly larger to better distribute its finished/flying weight, we could very likely see an even more kick-@$$ bird!

I'm keeping my eyes peeled on RCGroups to see if their plans are gonna be shared!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what engines are used to propel these RC aircraft? I think I see jet exhaust from the SV-51 but not sure.

Both the SV-51 and the VF-1 models would be powered by EDF (electric ducted fans) engines.. basically a fan spun by a high powered electric motor.

Edited by spanner76