1/60 Perfect Transform VF-4G Lightning reissue.

Gakken85

One thing I am grateful for with the Arcadia reissue of the VF-4G, I will actually attempt to transform it.

I didn't even attempt to transform the Yamato VF-4G when I got it. Took it out of the box, checked it for damage, swooshed it around, did some strafing runs on some Transformers, took photos and then put on a Yeti stand. :lol:

One thing I am grateful for with the Arcadia reissue of the VF-4G, I will actually attempt to transform it.

I didn't even attempt to transform the Yamato VF-4G when I got it. Took it out of the box, checked it for damage, swooshed it around, did some strafing runs on some Transformers, took photos and then put on a Yeti stand. :lol:

I did the same. I always like to get a second one to open cuz I'm too paranoid of breaking my only copy.

LOL! that's right! you teach those little TF f@#$%@s who's boss!! ;):p:D:lol: hehe!

You should totally transform your VF-4! It's one of the easiest valkyries to transform. I was able to open it and have it transformed to battroid in just a few minutes despite having never seen it transform and without needing to check the manual. :)

Yeah, along with the VF-1 it's probably one of the more transformable of all the valks.

I'm tempted to buy one and partially repaint, as it looks like 2012 markings will never happen---it's this or nothing for a VF-4. I won't do *full* FB2012 markings, but maybe close. Or could do a unique scheme, based off an F-14.

Biggest questions:

Is the nosecone molded grey or painted?

Will rubbing alcohol readily remove the blue striping on the fins/canards, and if it's painted, the grey nosecone?

The arrow markings on the upper intake sides---source for those? They're red in the VFX scheme but yellow for 2012.

Is the nosecone scratch-prone when transforming? Don't want to paint it tan and then have it ruined after 2 transformations.

(Edit: Corrected, thought it looked painted, but really is just gray plastic.)

The blue should strip off the canards and tails easily enough, and the fins are easily removable, but the paint on the nose looks fairly sturdy. It might take some sanding to get off if you really want to strip it down.

I'd love to see some unique markings though, there's any number of F-14 squadron sets that would look beautiful on this plane.

Edited by Chronocidal

Someone already did a Sundowners VF-4, so despite being my fave squadron, I won't be doing them. I'm leaning towards a red-marked squadron, to make use of the existing accents.

VF-1, 101, 124, 154?

Edited by Moosey

Guest davidwhangchoi

Never noticed it till now, but the VF-4G hands are really tiny. Are its hands smaller than the ones on a VF-1?

i haven't opened my box in a while but from i remember they are the same dimensions as the vf-1 hands. wait... don't you have a 4g :p

Never noticed it till now, but the VF-4G hands are really tiny. Are its hands smaller than the ones on a VF-1?

The PT hands that can be stored in the forearms are very tiny. The additional posable hands are the same as the one on the VF-1. I never understood why Yamato went with the smaller hands. couldn't they just make wider forearms?

Maybe I'll understand it once I have a VF-4G in hands.

i haven't opened my box in a while but from i remember they are the same dimensions as the vf-1 hands. wait... don't you have a 4g :p

Damn.. you remembered that. :p Yes, I have a VF-4G, but its in forever fighter mode because I am too scared to transform it. Once I have the Arcadia VF-4G, I'll transform that one. :D

The PT hands that can be stored in the forearms are very tiny. The additional posable hands are the same as the one on the VF-1. I never understood why Yamato went with the smaller hands. couldn't they just make wider forearms?

Maybe I'll understand it once I have a VF-4G in hands.

I never really paid attention to the hands, till that pic David posted. I guess Yamato couldn't make the forearms any bigger.

One slight critique I have to this design is that the forearms cannot rotate below the elbows so you can't get a proper stance like in lineart with the forearm cannons set out to the side. They have to be below the hands for any sort of posing.

Damn.. you remembered that. :p Yes, I have a VF-4G, but its in forever fighter mode because I am too scared to transform it. Once I have the Arcadia VF-4G, I'll transform that one. :D

It funny. I'm doing the exact same thing for the same reason. Makes me feel better that someone else did the same thing.

Guest davidwhangchoi

It funny. I'm doing the exact same thing for the same reason. Makes me feel better that someone else did the same thing.

no it's not funny, transform your valk. stop being selfish

i'm the biggest hypocrite, mine have never been displayed

Edited by davidwhangchoi

VF-1, 101, 124, 154?

Those are all possible, plus 24, 51, and 211. Probably not 154, due to "recent overexposure" IMHO. 142 maybe, as I love the VFX-2 VF-11 that's like theirs. Though that'd both require more work and look rather Roy-esque.

143 could work, they're even already blue.

In fact the VF-4G comes with 2 sets of hands: the one which was mounted was tiny and could fit into the forearms BUT they are fixed in closed fist position. The other set is fully articulated and is comparable in size to the VF-1 hands BUT this set cannot be folded into the forearm for the trnasformation back to Fighter mode.

The difference is that the VF-4G hands come with a ball attachment compared to the VF-1 tab.

A Black Aces scheme would probably go nicely with the existing red, but then you're stuck with a painted nose agan. At least with black, it's simple to match and touch up, and you can skip masking the thruster exhausts, and just paint the nozzle bits afterward.

I'm personally leaning toward either the classic VF-84 style, or possibly VF-142, since I've got so many sets of those markings from the old Monogram kits. :p

Edited by Chronocidal