Konig Monster - Bandai or Yamato?

spanner

Hey guys, my son has put on his xmas wish list a Konig Monster but seeing im not a big fan of them personally i wouldn't really know which is the best version to be getting for him?

I'm looking in terms of build, detail, durability, flaws / issues, availability and price point.

If you guys could help me out with this i would very much appreciate your thoughts and suggestions! Many thanks! :)

Hey guys, my son has put on his xmas wish list a Konig Monster but seeing im not a big fan of them personally i wouldn't really know which is the best version to be getting for him?

I'm looking in terms of build, detail, durability, flaws / issues, availability and price point.

If you guys could help me out with this i would very much appreciate your thoughts and suggestions! Many thanks! :)

Don't get the one from Yamato. ^_^

Edited by Scyla

Hey Spanner. I'm no Konig Monster expert... but I'll go with the one that has 'tampo'. Saying that is more in-line with 'Go for Special. You know, the one with Cherry on top'. ;)

From jenius' reviews:

http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=4194

http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=1695

Personally I prefer Bandai's.

I dunno why but doing this just completely skipped my mind!?!? I will certainly check both reviews out. But from the comments so far its leaning towards the Bandai..

Don't get the one from Yamato. ^_^

What kind of a father are you if you can't get both? :o:lol:

I've never had the Yamato but the latest Bandai release was quite solid, at least during the first transformation.

hehe! I would love to get him both but he already has other items on his xmas list which he doesn't want to sacrifice..

I've owned both and consider the bandai version to be superior. It has more weight to it and feels a lot more sturdy.

This is the general feels im getting so more than likely its gonna be the Bandai!

Bandai

hehe! and again! ^_^

Hey Spanner. I'm no Konig Monster expert... but I'll go with the one that has 'tampo'. Saying that is more in-line with 'Go for Special. You know, the one with Cherry on top'. ;)

Yes the Bandai does have the edge when it comes to detail, tampo in particular which I think he would rather have especially the "wings of goodbye" version. Looks like it will be the gun option!

I'm the only one who prefers the Yamato version, huh... :p

I like it because it looks more like the Koenig Monster lineart to me. The Bandai looks a bit like a more deformed, cutesy version of the Koenig. And the legs/feet are just wrong on the Bandai.

I will agree that the Bandai one seems much more solid, though.

yes absolutely! It looks like its gonna be a Bandai for sure! And I'll try get the "Wings Of Goodbye" version at that.

Yeah, Bandai version all the way. It's probably good to get him something the comes with a nice base so he will get use to always puting some back in the right place after he's done with it. I would say go for the "special version "

I actually prefer the Yamato too from the pictures I've seen online. Got the Bandai version the other day but I've not opened it yet since I just got it to complete my Frontier line-up (regular version). It looks definietly more solid than the Yamato though but my preference size/sculpt wise make me wish I had gotten the Yamato when it was on clearance for dirt cheap everywhere

Handling the Yamato is a lot like handling a wet noodle. You find yourself propping it up against itself to make it hold poses. This can work for a static display piece with limited posing but as far as toys go... it's not fun. The Bandai, on the other hand, is a great toy. While I'd agree that in some respects the Yamato toy is truer to the VF-X line art and the Yamato toy has the better size, if you ever plan on touching the thing you want the Bandai. The Yamato should be strictly reserved for a GERWALK pose in the back of a large display.

When they build this "Monster" in 1/60, Bandai or Arcadia can get my money!

01/09/2003

All of a sudden the price originally planned back then wasn't that bad...

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/news/_news_n052.htm

Although I have been putting out hints for a long time now, I can finally officially reveal that Yamato will be releasing a Destroid Monster toy. The toy will be a whopping 1/60 scale and will be constructed mostly of ABS plastic to keep costs down. Even so, this will not be a cheap toy and price estimates are in the ¥30,000 to ¥40,000 range…did I mention this toy is huge!? The Destroid features excellent articulation, especially of the legs and feet and has some cool features never seen before on a Destroid monster toy, such as an opening cockpit hatch and extendible boarding ladder. I've seen and handled an early sculpt of this toy and even have some photos of it standing next to a 1/60 VF-1 and it is absolutely gigantic! Unfortunetely, I'm not allowed to publish the pics. Anyway, the sculpt is just undergoing final modifications and tooling will start soon. Expect to see this bad boy around the middle of 2003.

That's a mean and lean looking battroid, EXO, also thanks for the history bit.

My Bandai will soon sit on a shelf in gerwalk mode surrounded by the damashiis

I'll do the same with mine. :)

as per the line art anyways they both have their good and bad points.. but as a toy im more content with the Bandai and I think my son will appreciate it more than the Yamato. The Bandai just seems to be the more complete toy and my son more so prefers the Bandai product than Yamato or Arcadia. There are a couple of Bandai VB6 available but I can't even seem to find one Yamato anywhere!?

Im still waiting for a 1/60 scale Destroid Monster HWR-00-MKII too! And I will certainly pay through the nose for it!

Get the Bandai without a doubt. It's a great toy.

The Yamato is a froppy mess. Heck, can you even still find the Yamato anymore anyway?

Graham

yeah there is one or two on the YJA sites.. haven't checked ebay.. not sure I will either. I'll be definitely going with the Bandai anyways!

Edited by spanner76

Get the Bandai without a doubt. It's a great toy.

The Yamato is a froppy mess. Heck, can you even still find the Yamato anymore anyway?

Graham

There's 5 on Ebay right now, $235-$335.00 USD. I've never owned one before and from all the reviews I'm glad I avoided this one.