New tru scale 1/72nd Realgult pod pattern.

mslz22

Hey guys, so i have been on a HUGE project for a big company since June, but it's almost done. I do apologize for some of my flakiness over the past months, but when i can share what i have been doing (i am under a strict NDA at the moment) I hope everyone will understand.

That being said, I have noticed that there has been some interest in a 1/72nd Realgult's lately. I have been slowly working on this a little at a time over the last couple of years. It's what i call an "army builder" kit. All the parts are broken down in a way that makes assembly and paint fast, almost no masking, just the front sheild and part of the mid leg, everything else can be painted as separate parts before assembly.

It's big, 12 and 1/4 inches approx, I don't have a Captain kit but i think that may be 10% bigger than his, it's sized using the 1/60 Yamato as the size reference.

Head is going to be 1 piece rotocast, so no interiors, again the target being ease of assembly and as low of a price point as possible.

I only have 3 or 4 parts to finish scratchbuilding, a little detailing and this thing is ready to go, primarily molding starts this weekend and the decals are already ordered, not making the mistake of not having them on hand and needing to ship them later like the monster!

Legs are on ball joints as well as the feet for a wide range of pose ability, also i will be including leg "extensions" so it can be built in keeling position if you want. Eye will be clear cast.

It will likely be another 3 or 4 weeks before i am in production with these, but wanted to give everyone a preview while i had a free minute in my crazy day.

thanks

mike

IMG_1582_zpsqsd29a8z.jpg

IMG_1583_zpsmwdk0mut.jpg

IMG_1585_zpsto0b7iue.jpg

Planning any variants? A Missle Regult looks like it would be an easy modification.

Even though I've already built the Bandai reissue, I could be down with getting one of these.

Cheap means the lowest that i can get if for a resin kit. This is much bigger than the bandai re issues (which i call 1/100 IMO) and bigger than Capt's by like 10 percent or so. I won't know real #'s until i get a material cost on my end. As usual i am not including any of the scratchbuilding labor into my equation.

As for variations, yes i want to do the small and large missile carriers, I prefer the large so will likely do that first. I absolutely love the scout, but that is a much more complicated conversion and while i do expect to get to it, that may be a while.

Edited by mslz22

• 4 weeks later...

Molds are more than half done on this, i am still deep into the fore mentioned big project above, but have managed to sneak in a little here and there. I hope to have the molds done by the end of the week. Still waiting on decals so it will likely be another 2 weeks or so before this is available.

thanks

mike

Official technical data states the regult is 15m tall, in 1/72 that would be 20.8cm,and 15cm in 1/100, Bandai's height is correct according to that information.

Now, I know a regult is much taller than a battroid, wich is 12.7m tall, according to official data, however, hasegawa gives us a 17.5m tall battroid...

Then, who has the "real" dimensions of each machine?

I don't put much stock in the official heights, I just know this is a much closer approximation to the "quality" animation. Meaning the good episodes, where it was not outsourced animation.

The Yamato 1/60 is what i used as a starting point for making the scale calculations for my 1/48 kit and this. It feels like the right size to me.

I forgot i had a Moscato scout regult. here is a pic to compare the leg size, guess that i am like 10 to 15 percent bigger than his for those wondering the comparisonIMG_1900_zpscuzzgtwt.jpg on those.

thanks

mike

Official technical data states the regult is 15m tall, in 1/72 that would be 20.8cm,and 15cm in 1/100, Bandai's height is correct according to that information.

Now, I know a regult is much taller than a battroid, wich is 12.7m tall, according to official data, however, hasegawa gives us a 17.5m tall battroid...

Then, who has the "real" dimensions of each machine?

That makes Johns kit about 16.2 metres. Close enough for me to make it "official'' in scale terms.

I don't put much stock in the official heights, I just know this is a much closer approximation to the "quality" animation. Meaning the good episodes, where it was not outsourced animation.

The Yamato 1/60 is what i used as a starting point for making the scale calculations for my 1/48 kit and this. It feels like the right size to me.

I forgot i had a Moscato scout regult. here is a pic to compare the leg size, guess that i am like 10 to 15 percent bigger than his for those wondering the comparisonIMG_1900_zpscuzzgtwt.jpg on those.

thanks

mike

Those casts look very clean. Detail is nice and sharp. Cant wait to see this built up.

Looking great Mike! I can't wait to see it doen either.

For those questioning Mike's dimensions, any time you start scratch building something from anime, you hit "anime magic" where reality takes a back seat and so do dimensions. A lot of the dimensions in Macross (not all) seem REALLY off. I've encountered it several times. It just goes with the territory. - MT

• 1 month later...

Molds are done, casting clear parts today for my test build.

Additional message for everyone on other stuff, copied from my other thread.

Hey Guys, still can't share what huge project i was on as the NDA has not been released yet, but it's finished and I got back from a deliver run to Florida last week, and immediately came down with a huge cold over the holiday and i am just now back to work.

I have to apologize to anyone i owe stuff too, months of very long days have scrambled my brain for sure.

I do know i sent out the majority of monster decals and the 1/72 norbert Gepard (capt kit) decals over the months i was working on the big project, but i know a few slipped thru the cracks. However, i totally lost track of who i sent them to.

So again with big apologies, if i owe you something, PM me with what it is and your address and i will ship it out ASAP.

I know it's totally unprofessional, when i can share more as to why things got so crazy i will, the short story is this was a 2 phase project that i was supposed to do 1 thing for each phase, which quickly turned into 4 things for each phase, so instead of 2 projects, it became 8. Hope i can share soon.

Anyway i am getting back to normal now, for a while, unless they need more stuff!

thanks

mike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks fantastic! There are definitely a lot of variations in the relative size of the mecha in the line art and animation, but I think your version does a better job of capturing how large the Regult should be compared to the VF-1. Although the interiors on previous models are really interesting, I'll gladly sacrifice that feature for a more affordable, true-to-scale model like this one. Please count me in for a couple.

PM me a price please! I sent you a PM after trawling through the net looking for the Capts tru scale versions and finding your old 2013 post on the Glaug... then I saw this post!

Keep me in mind when you cast the Regults too... and if you have any failed molds that could be build into shot up wrecked ones that have fallen onto houses and streets let me know.

Edited by NZEOD

I noticed your comment earlier, but I didn't check til now. The models specs say it is 17.5cm tall, which would come out to a 12.6m tall Battroid in 1/72 scale - actually a little short of the 12.68m listed in the Mecha Manual. If it was a 1/100 scale model, then it would be 17.5m tall.

• 1 year later...

Oh man,  can't believe how fast time goes by.  Snow day with the kids so I took this first casting out to work on.   I would like to make these available in mid april.  Just need to to warm up enough for rotocasting the head. 

6Bu6JB.jpgOX1IL1.jpgSBoXcC.jpg5rbM5Q.jpg

On 11/1/2015 at 11:15 AM, MechTech said:

Looking great Mike! I can't wait to see it doen either.

For those questioning Mike's dimensions, any time you start scratch building something from anime, you hit "anime magic" where reality takes a back seat and so do dimensions. A lot of the dimensions in Macross (not all) seem REALLY off. I've encountered it several times. It just goes with the territory. - MT

EXACTLY, MechTech. You'll find that in the Valkyries for example, where the arms shrink ridiculously in fighter mode, and the lower legs just balloon out in Battroid mode.

It often makes me wonder if they should show the transform scenes with the parts expanding/ contracting and internal plates sliding in and out to account for this.

If you REALLY want to drive yourself bonkers, watch an early transformers cartoon where Megatron transforms! :D

In the 120 range i hope.  It does not have the interior like the Capt's but it still has a lot of parts since so much of it is broken down for ease of painting.    The rotocasting can be a PITA sometimes on something like this too so i have to account for loss on that part.  I thought about splitting up the head,  but it's sooooo nice to not have to do joining and seam work on the head,  well the mold seam but that is around the edges and not as bad as the seam work like that on the IMAI kit,  split down the middle.