Macross: Do You Remember Love? Blu-Ray v2 now open for preorder!&#

treatment

Help! I want to buy the Blu ray from Tsutaya. I already went to two Tsutayas over at Osaka not one has them (one is rental shop only).

I'll be in Tokyo this weekend. Which Tsutayas in Tokyo are best to look for this Blu ray? Thanks!

Help! I want to buy the Blu ray from Tsutaya. I already went to two Tsutayas over at Osaka not one has them (one is rental shop only).

I'll be in Tokyo this weekend. Which Tsutayas in Tokyo are best to look for this Blu ray? Thanks!

The best Tsutaya that I know is in Daikanyama, between Ebisu and Shibuya. It is called Tsutaya Shoten and it is super classy, has a ton of books and music, even a lounge with sofas and a wine bar. They often do author talk and autograph signing events (I first met Yuji Nunokawa there, the head of Studio Pierrot), so I would guess you should be able to find it there.

Edited by Renato

Yeah, the forum software limits the picture size. You have to host them off the forums to see the maximum size.

I am thrilled with the DYRL blu-ray V2 as well. This is my first forway into DYRL in HD, my previous version was a bootleg DVD of a laser disc release of the film, LOL :)

So one can imagine how thrilling this release was for me. I've practically fallen in love with the blu-ray format all over again just because of this new DYRL disc. It is amazing to see how far we've come in animation technology and technique since 1984. The resolution is so high you can see many of the inherent limitations of the animation process, especially in some of the more layered sequences.

It's also really nice to have such sharp and high resolution reference for the art that I build. Screenshots provided to me from the V1 blu-ray really helped me build several of the new pieces for the Macross Mecha Manual, especially getting the colors right for the Gol Boddole Zer Mobiel Fortress (which was colored incorrectly in the Macross Chronicle).

I'm not too sure about the colors on the new disc, especially when it comes to reds. Most of the movie looks fine, but the general atmosphere when Misa and Hikaru first arrive on Earth feels dimmed. The red in the scene where Bodolza is talking about Protoculture to the Zentradi commanders seems a little faded.

Anyway, here is a YouTube clip from the V1 release. Compare the ARMD "01" marking and the docking ring under the bridge at 1:55.

In V2 those markings are dark red, while in V1 they seem to be red with a lean towards bright orange. The decals on the Hasegawa SDF-1 remind me of the V1 shade.

I did check the Macross Gold Book and the markings are darker red than either version. I wouldn't say the V2 version is color corrected, though. I think it depends on the scene.

I personally prefer the V1 release because it seems brighter (and Kawamori being involved).

Objectively though, I think both versions are great for a restored film, and neither is superior to the other.

Everything I've stated above is meant to be taken as just my humble personal preferences.

Edited by HannouHeiki

The best Tsutaya that I know is in Daikanyama, between Ebisu and Shibuya. It is called Tsutaya Shoten and it is super classy, has a ton of books and music, even a lounge with sofas and a wine bar. They often do author talk and autograph signing events (I first met Yuji Nunokawa there, the head of Studio Pierrot), so I would guess you should be able to find it there.

Thanks, I was able to get the last one at the branch in Shibuya right about the same day as your reply.

HannouHeiki, are you talking about these:

post-128-0-90448800-1456542092_thumb.pngpost-128-0-65128500-1456542113_thumb.png

post-128-0-43465500-1456542125_thumb.pngpost-128-0-76591500-1456542140_thumb.png

Left = 2012 BD, right = 2016 BD. Resized to 480p and denoised, but colors should be unaffected.

The brighter colors look better in a side-by-side comparison, but I believe the more muted colors are either (i) closer to the original, or (ii) a side-effect of lowering the brightness.

HannouHeiki, are you talking about these:

Macross DYRL (Bandai 2012 BD) 480p 000225.png Macross DYRL (Bandai 2016 BD) 480p 000228.png

Macross DYRL (Bandai 2012 BD) 480p 005348.png Macross DYRL (Bandai 2016 BD) 480p 005351.png

Left = 2012 BD, right = 2016 BD. Resized to 480p and denoised, but colors should be unaffected.

The brighter colors look better in a side-by-side comparison, but I believe the more muted colors are either (i) closer to the original, or (ii) a side-effect of lowering the brightness.

I'm on mobile at the moment and the differences aren't really showing, but from my recollection with TV those shots are good examples.

Another place to compare is the shot of Hikaru's VF-1A in battroid mode. The 2016 version seems maroon. I held up a Yamato VF-1A, and although the red didn't match either BD, I felt it was more reminiscent of the 2012 version.

I also keep in mind that Kawamori oversaw the 2012 version, which has me lean to that version even more.

I also looked at scans from the Gold Book, and the colors there don't completely coincide with either BD, so it's kind of impossible to declare which one has "right" colors.

(Unless you have some animation cels...)

Did anyone order the Amazon exclusive? The only negative reviews I'm reading (with the help of Google Chrome translate) is saying that the limited slip cover is pretty lousy and not worth the extra cost...

Anyone in the know have any thoughts on this?

Did anyone order the Amazon exclusive? The only negative reviews I'm reading (with the help of Google Chrome translate) is saying that the limited slip cover is pretty lousy and not worth the extra cost...

I would agree with that. I got them for the collectability factor, but I suppose they could have used better images. If anything, I probably should have gone for the Tsutaya exclusive editions, which come with art postcards. Those would have been a pain in the neck to track down for me, though. I'd rather order them online.

Technically they are the same fixed list price, though. It's just that Amazon is selling the regular edition cheaper than the list price, while their exclusive version has not been reduced.

Well once the ultra HD bluray is out we can all triple dip

Triple?? Haha. Between the original VHS and LD releases, the English dub LD, the 1992 VHS and LD Perfect Edition releases, the first DVD, the Remastered DVD, the 2012 BD and now THIS Blu-ray, by my count I now own 9 versions of this damn movie. :p 11 if you include the UK Kiseki sub and dub on VHS somewhere on the other side of the planet. :wacko:

Yeah, I'm pretty much doomed to keep re-buying anything DYRL. It's a happy curse, though. :)

Edited by Renato

I purchased the Amazon exclusives of DYRL and Macross Plus. Objectively speaking, I too would say that the slipcases are rather lame. But I kinda like them for the simple look.

Front side:

dyrl_zpsixakp01a.jpg

Backside:

dyrl2_zpsodpiisdv.jpg

Thanks for the replies! =)

So, it's not so much that the limited slip is of poor quality in materials, it's just the design/images that people have a problem with? I actually like the DYRL design based on photo's I can find, but I wouldn't buy it if the slip felt like it was nothing more than a thin piece of insert paper.

And just to confirm, the limited slip can fit over the regular slip that fits over the bluray case, right? It's not an "either or" choice, is it?

Thanks for the replies! =)

So, it's not so much that the limited slip is of poor quality in materials, it's just the design/images that people have a problem with? I actually like the DYRL design based on photo's I can find, but I wouldn't buy it if the slip felt like it was nothing more than a thin piece of insert paper.

And just to confirm, the limited slip can fit over the regular slip that fits over the bluray case, right? It's not an "either or" choice, is it?

The quality is fine. And yes, it can slip over the regular sleeve, not "either or". :)

Are you in Osaka now? I can help

Thanks, but I was able to get one at a Tsutaya in Shibuya last month (probably the last piece that time) as I mentioned earlier. I hope to be back in Osaka next month though.

I would agree with that. I got them for the collectability factor, but I suppose they could have used better images. If anything, I probably should have gone for the Tsutaya exclusive editions, which come with art postcards. Those would have been a pain in the neck to track down for me, though. I'd rather order them online.

Technically they are the same fixed list price, though. It's just that Amazon is selling the regular edition cheaper than the list price, while their exclusive version has not been reduced.

I have both the Animate and Tsutaya "art cards". I prefer the Animate one which recreates the Minmay and Hikaru floating with the Misa in the red background in the "New Hal Macross the First style" of art. You cam use this as an alternate cover sleeve for the Bluray.

I've got what I assume is a bootleg DVD I bought from eBay that has mostly great subtitles and comes with a bonus soundtrack disc. The only downside is that it also has subtitles for the music while dialogue is going on. After watching this again and both Blu-rays, I gotta say this DVD is still my favorite.

• 4 weeks later...

I think with today's software, you can fix any defects on a digital movie.

How hard can it be to erase some grain in a few seconds, or minutes in a movie?

Same goes with the blur images, some blur is present in static parts of the movie with no action. That can be easily fixed.

Why would you want to remove film grain from a film?

Messing with the brightness to hide the grain is "better" than excessive DNR, but still garbage, in my view.

At least they restored the censored scenes from the previous release.

I think with today's software, you can fix any defects on a digital movie.

How hard can it be to erase some grain in a few seconds, or minutes in a movie?

Same goes with the blur images, some blur is present in static parts of the movie with no action. That can be easily fixed.

Aaaaaactually, removing grain without destroying fine detail is very difficult.

And removing blur that was introduced with the original photography isn't much better.

Why would you want to remove film grain from a film?

Messing with the brightness to hide the grain is "better" than excessive DNR, but still garbage, in my view.

That is how I feel about it. Give us the movie as it is, not as someone separated from it by a few decades wishes it was.

Triple?? Haha. Between the original VHS and LD releases, the English dub LD, the 1992 VHS and LD Perfect Edition releases, the first DVD, the Remastered DVD, the 2012 BD and now THIS Blu-ray, by my count I now own 9 versions of this damn movie. :p 11 if you include the UK Kiseki sub and dub on VHS somewhere on the other side of the planet. :wacko:

Yeah, I'm pretty much doomed to keep re-buying anything DYRL. It's a happy curse, though. :)

It is kind of funny how I'll hang on to all the older media of DYRL even though I don't even own a VCR or Laserdisc player, so I have no way of playing them. I still keep my old PS1 just in case I want to play the DYRL side scrolling game. I haven't played it in years.

It is kind of funny how I'll hang on to all the older media of DYRL even though I don't even own a VCR or Laserdisc player, so I have no way of playing them. I still keep my old PS1 just in case I want to play the DYRL side scrolling game. I haven't played it in years.

You should take photos and post them, showing all the different versions of home video for the film over the years. That would be awesome.

You should take photos and post them, showing all the different versions of home video for the film over the years. That would be awesome.

Did that ages ago ;) :

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?app=galleryâ„‘=7176

gallery_1318_567_2281186.jpg

(Actually, I just noticed, it needs to be updated)

Edited by Renato

• 3 weeks later...

Man way late to the party but it looks like I may have to order this version. Thanks guys.

Yeah, this has got to be the best version so far. What it lacks is English subtitles.

The upcoming Delta Blu-rays will have English subtitles. And I hope Bigwest come to realize that HG DOESN'T OWN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE and that they CAN and SHOULD release the SDF Series and DYRL WITH English subtitles!!!

What? They don't want our money?!!... :ph34r:

Edited by Bub

I have seen DYRL enough times that I don't really need subs. Would be nice though.

I might be the same with you about not needing subs, but... This is more for the NON Fans who don't speak Japanese. And what better way of introducing THE ORIGINAL Macross Movie story to non-believers, especially to Robocrap fans who has never heard the truth about Macross?