Macross: Do You Remember Love? Blu-Ray v2 now open for preorder!&#

treatment

technoblue, you can save screenshots as PNG in MPC-HC. The images from anamorphic DVDs are saved in stored resolution, so they are always 720x480.

Difference between the 2012 and 2016 blu-rays based on the two screenshots above. (I didn't check more.)

2012 vs 2016 (click for cropped 600x600 1:1 images [no resizing])

post-128-0-67840000-1454501648_thumb.png post-128-0-69010500-1454501659_thumb.png

They know they can't do anything about the out-of-focus, but they try to darken the lines to make them "sharper".

2012 vs 2016 (click for cropped 1200x800 1:1 images [no resizing])

post-128-0-07268000-1454501676_thumb.png post-128-0-35101600-1454501687_thumb.png

The brightness curve is tweaked to hide the grain. The grain is still there in the dark areas, just not as obvious as they are now darker.

Updated: sources are the 2012 and 2016 blu-rays, extracted with MakeMKV and played back with MPC-HC.

Edited by nhyone

Guest davidwhangchoi

The brightness curve is tweaked to hide the grain. The grain is still there in the dark areas, just not as obvious as they are now darker..

it's more than that.

The grain and noise are present in both DYRL HD releases. It's pretty obvious in motion when viewing the Minmay/Hikaru scene as noted. And I agree with nhyone. The brightness or colors were tweaked, and there may even be some edge enhancement, but Predator UH Edition-style DNR? No..not a chance.

Edit: I'll see what I can do about taking better HD screenshots later this evening in PNG format and linking them to the screenshotcomparison site.

Edited by technoblue

Thanks technoblue for showing those scenes as well as mine. Some scenes are easier to see than others in static form.

In regards to Perfect Edition DVD being windowboxed, I believe the video was compressed from the looks of it. I have the HD remastered limited DVD box set and I do not recall having it look like that. Will have to check the video ratio when I get home tonight.

Also, I agree with nhyone. The out of focus scenes is most likely inherent due to the 35mm film stock they used for the blu-rays. This opens up another possible question whether these scenes were originally blurred during its theatrical run.

I don't think it's because of the film stock: it looks to me like whoever was responsible for photographing the frames left the lens out of focus during certain scenes, so the only way to make them look sharper would be traveling back in time and knocking some sense into that guy. And judging by these DVD screecaps, the only reason why those blurry scenes didn't stick out as much as in the BD releases was the lower resolution.

@ Zhou - From your statement - Would you considered these scenes as animation/filming errors or artistically part of the movie? Case in point - Head shot of Milia when first introduced. As I can recall, I don't think her head/helmet scene was ever sharp in any version DVDs or BDs I have seen.

I can agree with you that the DVDs' resolution was much lower compare to the BDs and would not that obvious with the naked eye.

@ Zhou - From your statement - Would you considered these scenes as animation/filming errors or artistically part of the movie? Case in point - Head shot of Milia when first introduced. As I can recall, I don't think her head/helmet scene was ever sharp in any version DVDs or BDs I have seen.

I can agree with you that the DVDs' resolution was much lower compare to the BDs and would not that obvious with the naked eye.

I don't see why they'd leave those scenes out of focus on purpose, so I can only consider them as errors.

While it's unfortunate that there is some dnr in the new release, I would still go for the new bluray simply because it includes the original theatrical sound mix. Add to that what was said above: they programmed the bluray to play the original theatrical version with no text and no concert scene at the end when you choose the mono mix. This is as close to 1984 as we are going to get on home video.

technoblue, you can save screenshots as PNG in MPC-HC. The images from anamorphic DVDs are saved in stored resolution, so they are always 720x480.

Difference between the 2012 and 2016 blu-rays based on the two screenshots above. (I didn't check more.)

2012 vs 2016 (click for cropped 600x600 1:1 images [no resizing])

attachicon.gifdyrl_bd_2012-012541-cropped.png attachicon.gifdyrl_bd_2016-012544-cropped.png

They know they can't do anything about the out-of-focus, but they try to darken the lines to make them "sharper".

2012 vs 2016 (click for cropped 1200x800 1:1 images [no resizing])

attachicon.gifdyrl_bd_2012-013520-cropped.png attachicon.gifdyrl_bd_2016-013523-cropped.png

The brightness curve is tweaked to hide the grain. The grain is still there in the dark areas, just not as obvious as they are now darker.

Updated: sources are the 2012 and 2016 blu-rays, extracted with MakeMKV and played back with MPC-HC.

Yep! You hit the nail on the head :)

Edited by oshanmacross

As promised, here are the links to my updated HD screenshots in PNG format. I also made sure to match the frames this time ^_^ :

Max and Kaki on Hikaru's panel:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/160604

Misa waiting for the elevator:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/160605

Minmay and Hikaru:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/160606

As promised, here are the links to my updated HD screenshots in PNG format. I also made sure to match the frames this time ^_^ :

Thanks. Noticed images sharper, less grain, less yellow (color corrected for the better!). Now, all they have to do is add some english subtitles and we're home free.

I mean, somewhere on Harmony Gold's contract, where the f--k did it say "Japan can't release Blu-rays with English subtitles".... enough already!

Guess I won't buy it and wait for some fan-subbed "bootleg" to hit the underground market.

Edited by fifbeat

So for those of us not familiar with the history of all versions of Macross DYRL available on AND offline..

I have the legit DVD (forget which year), a Subbed HK DVD to go with it, uglier picture but I can follow the plot better, the 2012 Blu Ray, and Now this 2016 Blu Ray just arrived today.

I already know how to rip Blu Ray to disc. Is there a simple way to extract the subs from the old HK-DVD and put them onto the rip of my new Blu Ray?

(PS I don't care if this is legit. I have paid for this movie so many times its ridiculous ;) ;) )

So for those of us not familiar with the history of all versions of Macross DYRL available on AND offline..

I have the legit DVD (forget which year), a Subbed HK DVD to go with it, uglier picture but I can follow the plot better, the 2012 Blu Ray, and Now this 2016 Blu Ray just arrived today.

I already know how to rip Blu Ray to disc. Is there a simple way to extract the subs from the old HK-DVD and put them onto the rip of my new Blu Ray?

(PS I don't care if this is legit. I have paid for this movie so many times its ridiculous ;) ;) )

I think there are websites where you can download subs from, not sure which ones though . I'd google it.

I think there are websites where you can download subs from, not sure which ones though . I'd google it.

It's funny. I've been a Macross nerd so long I have the subs printed out on printer paper and in a Binder.. from in college.. around 91-93!! Wonder where that 3.5" floppy full of subtitle files is now...

It's funny. I've been a Macross nerd so long I have the subs printed out on printer paper and in a Binder.. from in college.. around 91-93!! Wonder where that 3.5" floppy full of subtitle files is now...

Wish i kept those 2 DYRL Fan released scripts from the 80's.

Don't hate me, but I think I had a Reba West autograph on one.....

Edited by oshanmacross

Wish i kept those 2 DYRL Fan released scripts from the 80's.

Don't hate me, but I think I had a Reba West autograph on one.....

No shame in that dude. Robotech got me into this. I didn't know what Macross was. For all its faults I owe my love of Macross to it! The real shame is what Harmony Gold has done to us/it SINCE then.

Thanks for the tips guys!

I DL'ed a subtitle and went to a site that lets you resync it by entering a time to offset by. (since it seems all version on the BLU Ray have text that starts with 2009 that wasn't on the original.

Looks great! Is so awesome to have this with subs and blu ray quality.

Thanks for the tips guys!

I DL'ed a subtitle and went to a site that lets you resync it by entering a time to offset by. (since it seems all version on the BLU Ray have text that starts with 2009 that wasn't on the original.

Looks great! Is so awesome to have this with subs and blu ray quality.

Would you be able to share it with us?

Would you be able to share it with us?

If it's allowed, I'll gladly share the file. If not you should easily be able to find it.

Steps

- rip track 02 off new 2016 macross blu-ray into an mkv file with MakeMKV

- Download file Macross_DYRL_1_1984_Eng.zip from http://subsmax.com/subtitles-movie/macross-do-you-remember/-english

- Unzipabove and used Macross - Do You Remember Love - Eng.srt as starting point.

- Open up website http://subshifter.bitsnbites.eu/

- Upload the .srt file. Shift by MINUS 13.9..

- take resulting file and added as a subtitle track in MakeMKV

- Save. Now watch with subs. They are 'pretty closely timed' .. not perfect but good enough for me..

Also. Unless you have a blu-ray burner you'll have to watch on you computer.

Edited by lavinrac

If it's allowed, I'll gladly share the file. If not you should easily be able to find it.

Steps

- rip track 02 off new 2016 macross blu-ray into an mkv file with MakeMKV

- Download file Macross_DYRL_1_1984_Eng.zip from http://subsmax.com/subtitles-movie/macross-do-you-remember/-english

- Unzipabove and used Macross - Do You Remember Love - Eng.srt as starting point.

- Open up website http://subshifter.bitsnbites.eu/

- Upload the .srt file. Shift by MINUS 13.9..

- take resulting file and added as a subtitle track in MakeMKV

- Save. Now watch with subs. They are 'pretty closely timed' .. not perfect but good enough for me..

Also. Unless you have a blu-ray burner you'll have to watch on you computer.

cool thanks. took me 5 seconds to do it.

Wait...this won't work on my PS3?

There is a program (multiAVCHD) that should allow you to re-author the disc, keep its menus, add a subtitle track, and preserve PS3 compatibility.

But that process is more involved than the one lavinrac posted above.

Edited by technoblue

There is a program (multiAVCHD) that should allow you to re-author the disc, keep its menus, add a subtitle track, and preserve PS3 compatibility.

But that process is more involved than the one lavinrac posted above.

Whoa, nice. And it's freeware, too. I'll check it out when I get some time to go back to my BD-drive PC in my office (I don't have one at home anymore, just a PS3 :( ) Thank you (and Lavinrac, too!) for the heads-up!

Edited by Renato

Whoa, nice. And it's freeware, too. I'll check it out when I get some time to go back to my BD-drive PC in my office (I don't have one at home anymore, just a PS3 :( ) Thank you (and Lavinrac, too!) for the heads-up!

You're welcome! I do have AnyDVDHD installed on my home system, which makes many of the on-line tutorials easier to follow. But I don't think it is required. It certainly would be great for everyone to have an option to build their own disc with an included subtitle track. I still have Hurin's old subtitles for the DYRL Perfect Edition DVD. I was going to play around with the timings on that one, myself.

Sadly (for me) I dont have a blu-ray BURNER, so I haven't tried any of the burning methods. Hopefully between all these options everyone who owns it can watch it with subs. ;)

The blu-ray is 40 GB. It is possible to re-encode it to a 15 GB video file and remain perfectly watchable. You can add subtitles easily if your device supports MKV or MP4 playback. It does not always have to be blu-ray.

The blu-ray is 40 GB. It is possible to re-encode it to a 15 GB video file and remain perfectly watchable. You can add subtitles easily if your device supports MKV or MP4 playback. It does not always have to be blu-ray.

Oh yea watching without a burner is no problem. I've got a mini displayport to hdmi cable to hook the mac into the tv, or a usb stick to put in the PS3 or PS4. No big deal. :) Looks like the dvd burners Ive seen do single layer 25gb and not 50gb. (Maybe those exist and I havent seen them.. Either way it looks good now and is watchable.

Thanks!

To reauthor using multiAVCHD, you drag and drop the BD folders into the program, and it will enter reauthor mode. Add a subtitle file to the movie, then author the disc.

Your result will have subtitles muxed into the movie, but you will need to edit the playlist to enable them to work in a regular BD player. For this, you use BDEdit. Select PG and the + sign (see attached image) and number the subs starting at 1200. It should then work in your player.

I recommend using a software BD player or a rewritable BD disc for testing.

Is attaching a subtitle file allowed?

post-3404-0-07422300-1455525092_thumb.png

Edited by HannouHeiki