Macross: Do You Remember Love? Blu-Ray v2 now open for preorder!&#

treatment

There are three store-exclusive variants. Check out the bottom of this page.

https://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/macross_bd/

The content of the discs is the same, but there are some bonus inserts and/or packaging extras.

The Animate version comes with an illustration card. The Amazon version comes with a bonus slipcase. The Tsutaya version comes with bromides (illustrations printed on photo stock paper).

Thanks for clarifying that up. I will try to hunt all 3 versions down as I will be in Osaka hopefully on the 7th and 11th of February. Anyone up for Fire BomBAR?

I'd love to see a few screenshots. If someone took their time it would be appreciated.

IT WAS STILL THERE IN THE FIRST BD, ON THE NON 5.1 MIX!

The 5.1 mix is great. Especially the intro makes an impression. So there is reason to want the track in the 5.1 mix rather than just the mono one.

I'd love to see a few screenshots. If someone took their time it would be appreciated.

The 5.1 mix is great. Especially the intro makes an impression. So there is reason to want the track in the 5.1 mix rather than just the mono one.

I really like the fact that they included the original theatrical mono track. Is it the first time? Or did the 1980's VHS/Betamax release have mono?

The 1980s VHS/Betamax had mono. The Stereo mix was from the 1992 "Perfect Edition". The 5.1 mix was made for the 2012 BD. The mono version was missing from the 2012 BD. This new one appears to include all three. I say appears, because it gives you the option of one of "1984 Theatrical Mono/1992 Perfect Edition PCM-Stereo/ 2016 5.1 DTS"... I have only been listening to the commentary so I cannot comment on what changes, if any, have been made to justify the "2016" re-labelling.

I and some others here will do so, but you'll just have to wait a bit for 'em.

My own copy won't get delivered to me in another two weeks, and I'm not sure if I'll even have time to do some snaps until a few days later or so.

Best bet is if you get our japanese-based folks like Renato to do the some snaps before us stateside-fans receive our sal-shipped copies...

Here are some changes on the new disc:

The movie is now 22 seconds longer, because of that 2009 text in the beginning.

So instead of being 1:55:03, it is now 1:55:25

As for the BGM track with Hikaru/Minamy before the fight scene, 5.1 Mix does NOT have the BGM. Only on the Stereo & Mono track.

That is all.

So in conclusion, the image quality was not touched, only no censorship this time. And the original stereo and mono tracks were added.

Not worth buying if you have the first blu-ray release.

I think it might not be worth it if you have the 1999 Region2 Perfect Edition DVD. Probably the best version on disc?

But despite having that DVD, I purchased this Blu-ray edition for the following reasons -

1. Wanted DYRL on blu-ray

2. Felt that the censorship on the "hybrid" blu-ray release was blasphemy

3. Wanted the original theatrical mono track

4. Wanted to listen to the commentary track

Btw, if you select the mono track, the movie starts without the text and the movie ends without going to the Minmay concert scene (instead it goes to the black screen credits just like it did in 1984).

Edited by Vifam7

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The percieved "blur" is due to film elements used. Either lower stock, degraded, or for other reasons just different. The lack of gore edits make this one a worthy purchase.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Yes, still a blur and still grainy on the scenes you mentioned. :(

that blows.... thanks for checking.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

I think people missed this post from a couple of pages back...

Sounds like a deliberate omission.

Anyway, with regards to picture quality in DYRL.... And the forthcoming MacPlus Movie Edition.

I had an interesting conversation online today with a couple of the most in-the-know people in the animation industry. One of them worked on the DYRL project and was witness to all sorts of goings-on behind the scenes back in 1984.

I had asked about why some anime looks fantastic on Blu-ray and some looks like it still needs a lot of work. For example, 1974 Yamato and 1983 Orguss look incredible, while 1982 SDFM TV looks... sort of meh. Similarly, Macross7 and Macross Plus are contemporaneous with each other, being as they are both from 1994, and clearly (literally) M7 looks a lot less grainy. I asked if it was just the storage conditions for film, as well as film stock. I knew that Orguss and M7 were shot in 35mm, while SDFM TV was 16mm for cost-cutting. Turns out that both Orguss and M7 were both produced with home video merchandising in mind, so it had to be better than broadcast quality. SDFM was not. Add to that the fact that TMS (who produced Orguss) at the time were doing all their output in 35mm (Ironman28, GodMars, etc.) because they wanted to keep their options open with regards to potential digest movie editions later down the line.

But both DYRL and MacPlus were planned from the get-go to be screened in theaters, and so both are 35mm... So why do M7 and Orguss look clearer? The answer is, funnily enough, that they used special filtering techniques during the photographing stage that makes the whole picture seem less like a bunch of cels on a screen.

That made me recall a comment here on MW by a user a long time ago, way back when the M7 HD Remaster DVDs came out and side-by-side comparison pics were being posted (before we even had any Macross on Bluray, I think), about how some scenes look "filmed" on the original VHS/DVDs, but in the new sets, they look clearer, yes, but more like "drawings", and thus it detracts away from the feeling of "realism".

I think the staff on DYRL and MPlus were after this kind of "visual realism"... However, if you are after crystal clarity, there will be a limit, since the only thing improved resolution is going to will be to highlight the grain.

Orguss, M7 and now Megazone23 look really great, though. :)

I think with today's software, you can fix any defects on a digital movie.

How hard can it be to erase some grain in a few seconds, or minutes in a movie?

Same goes with the blur images, some blur is present in static parts of the movie with no action. That can be easily fixed.

I've been doing my comparisons between the two blu-rays and I think the picture quality on the first blu-ray release looks better on my setup (more film-like). At the beginning of chapter three, Breetai's face looks more blurred (DNR?) in the new release. There are other scenes (like the Saturn joyride) that look much better in the first release. I really don't understand why they would add more DNR to this release?

One of the most obvious DNR/blur scene is when Hikaru is talking to Max and Kakizaki just before Kakizaki gets killed off. Kakizaki screen is blur when you compare to Max's.

The movie's title card has red saturation which made it was difficult to see the actual kanji. This forced me to adjust my tv's color, sharpness, and contrast - which helped a bit

Laser/gun fire, valk/enemy and missile trails stood out more on screen this time around. Did anyone notice that?

Edited by jet660

From the comments so far, I think getting the uncensored version is better. This is what they should have released for the anniversary and maybe if they re-release that big Hybrid pack again with this version, I'll get that.

Wow. I guess I should go ahead and order one. I feel 'wrong' having a censored blu ray of DYRL...

So the crushing and flying head are back? (Why do I care about this? Its irrationa!!)

In my mind it's like getting a Han shot first blu-ray release. Totally worth it, but at the same time bittersweet since they never should have censored in the first place.

Below are the three controversial scenes that were mentioned above by takatoys and jet660. I used my computer to take the screenshots. These are not exact frame to frame comparisons, but they are close enough. Each screenshot was saved using the same software: MPC-HC. Comparing the two blu-ray discs, what's immediately obvious to me is the color correction and the detail sharpening.

Edit: I wanted to add that MPC-HC saves the screenshots as .jpg files, which is a lossy format.

Max and Kaki on Screen 480p (DVD)

post-5492-0-07511000-1454477988_thumb.jpg

Max and Kaki on Screen 1080p (Hybrid Blu)

post-5492-0-41111800-1454478021_thumb.jpg

Max and Kaki on Screen 1080p (New Blu)

post-5492-0-01844800-1454478068_thumb.jpg

All three discs blur the scene with Lisa. The DVD appears better because of the lower resolution on a high resolution display. A more interesting note is the fact that the Perfect Edition DVD is windowboxed, and this creates odd, elongated proportions. I wonder if I missed a setting? :huh:

Misa waiting on the elevator 480p (DVD

post-5492-0-76576300-1454479036_thumb.jpg

Misa waiting on the elevator 1080p (Hybrid Blu)

post-5492-0-38414400-1454479733_thumb.jpg

Misa waiting on the elevator 1080p (New Blu)

post-5492-0-97223000-1454479099_thumb.jpg

The DVD looks really good for the Minmay/Hikaru scene because MPC-HC is adding a bunch of filters, including denoise. I have no such filters for HD content. Note that in these static images the noise looks like heavy grain. In motion, the noise moves and jumps around. It makes it look as if an old piece of film was spliced in with the rest.

Minmay and Hikaru 480p (DVD)

post-5492-0-67526900-1454479618_thumb.jpg

Minmay and Hikaru 1080p (Hybrid Blu)

post-5492-0-20266400-1454479646_thumb.jpg

Minmay and Hikaru 1080p (New Blu)

post-5492-0-69755300-1454479670_thumb.jpg

Edited by technoblue