Macross: Do You Remember Love? Blu-Ray v2 now open for preorder!&#

treatment

As I explained in the other thread, the official Bandai Visual product description says that the HD master has been "brushed up" to give an even higher picture quality.

And we already know it is not a straight reissue of the previous release because it is not a Hybrid disc, plus it has an all-new audio commentary.

https://bvc.bandaivisual.co.jp/shop/itemdetail/BCXA-1058/

Hopefully this will be the "perfect" edition and be free of glitches.

There has been 3 releases so far, all have their own issues.

Perfect edition (1999): very windowbox, interlace from hell.

Remastered edition (2007): windowbox, grainy, video glitch, audio popping.

Blu-ray (2012): soft in some parts, violence censored, altered music track.

Hopefully this will be the "perfect" edition and be free of glitches.

There has been 3 releases so far, all have their own issues.

Perfect edition (1999): very windowbox, interlace from hell.

Remastered edition (2007): windowbox, grainy, video glitch, audio popping.

Blu-ray (2012): soft in some parts, violence censored, altered music track.

Pretty sure the BD had a seperate audio optiom with an unaltered track.

I will GLADLY double dip if they released it with English subs.

The subs in the Frontier D-Shudista BD's were perfect. Why not make this standard (like with the Yamato 2199 BD's)?

Yes, you are right, the music plays on track 2! Now the question is, why did they remove it on the 5.1 track?

Because Yasunori Honda and Shoji Kawamori wanted it gone. They said the opening strands of the DYRL song had more impact without that BGM playing beforehand. I disagree, but they did explain it. In fact, I went into detail on this subject several times here, mostly in the previous DYRL BD thread.

Oh, actually I even made a whole news post about it:

http://www.macrossworld.com/the-men-who-made-macross-special-airs/

i'm bitter there are no subs....again. when will i get to own a decent copy of this with subs....i mean they subbed the frontier movies...why not this?

I sense some 'big ego' company is behind all this. :ph34r: HG-sense tingling. :wacko:

Because Yasunori Honda and Shoji Kawamori wanted it gone. They said the opening strands of the DYRL song had more impact without that BGM playing beforehand. I disagree, but they did explain it. In fact, I went into detail on this subject several times here, mostly in the previous DYRL BD thread.

Oh, actually I even made a whole news post about it:

http://www.macrossworld.com/the-men-who-made-macross-special-airs/

I read that entire thread and the news post, but someone must have edited my memory. :D

Everyone has different thresholds and criteria whether to buy, or most likely, to re-dip again. I do think people -- other than the hard-core -- are hesitant to buy out-of-sight, given the past issues. At least that's the case for me.

For me, the blu-ray's biggest issue is not the censoring nor altered music track. I always felt the two scenes are unexpectedly violent compared to the rest of the movie, so I'm fine either way. Rather, the video quality is extremely variable. From sharp to soft to out-of-focus to grainy, repeatedly.

For me, the blu-ray's biggest issue is not the censoring nor altered music track. I always felt the two scenes are unexpectedly violent compared to the rest of the movie, so I'm fine either way. Rather, the video quality is extremely variable. From sharp to soft to out-of-focus to grainy, repeatedly.

Yeah. I think a lot of that was just the way it was filmed, and this is the clearest picture ever available on home video, making all those "mistakes" all the more obvious. But, as they claim that the picture has been improved further still, who knows. It might still surprise.

• 2 weeks later...

Man. I got this guy arguing with me on a youtube channel that Plus is better than DYRL.

I tried to explain to him that it's like comparing T1 to the Sarah Conner Chronicles. I know some of the younger folks might have had their first exposeure to plus... but that don't make it right.

Gubaba's right.

It's ok. It's not ok to say that it's a minority opinion that DYRL is better.

I'd think most people who know Macross would rank it higher without question.

Personally, I remain bothered by DYRL's incompleteness. There's a middle and an end, but no beginning.

It makes it hard for me to endorse wholeheartedly, and it's kind of a large flaw in an otherwise fantastic show.

Personally, I remain bothered by DYRL's incompleteness. There's a middle and an end, but no beginning.

It makes it hard for me to endorse wholeheartedly, and it's kind of a large flaw in an otherwise fantastic show.

The beginning works for me. We are thrown right into the action and left to figure out what happened later. I don't need to know how they got there. Later we were told they had lost contact with Earth and were on their way back. That's good enough for me.

I know I'm in the minority because we now have an exposition in the prologue for the "Complete" edition of the blu-ray. It must have been one of the neverending complaints over the years.

On the other hand, I find the ending weak -- once Britai allies with the humans -- so that mars the masterpiece a little. (It may not be obvious at first because you are mesmerized by the song.. :D)

I know many people also think DYRL does not work standalone -- you have to watch the TV series first. I also disagree with that. :)

I'm really hoping when this comes out to find out that at LEAST:

1. censoring is removed

2. Blurry scenes fixed

3. (Pipe dreaming) - English Subs..

Either 1 or 2 would cause me to buy it. Subs would make me jump for joy

Guest davidwhangchoi

I'm really hoping when this comes out to find out that at LEAST:

1. censoring is removed

2. Blurry scenes fixed

3. (Pipe dreaming) - English Subs..

Either 1 or 2 would cause me to buy it. Subs would make me jump for joy

yes to number 2, poor upscale, reminds me of predator's second release with overdone NR

Guest davidwhangchoi

lol, really guys, it wasn't a good transfer, no pointing out it's a proper remaster vs. upscale is going to change anything.

it really reminds me of Sony's ps3 smoothing technique where Sony was trying to defeat edge enhancement(and they used an anime as reference material to develop the tech). it just made the picture look soft.

lol, really guys, it wasn't a good transfer, no pointing out it's a proper remaster vs. upscale is going to change anything.

it really reminds me of Sony's ps3 smoothing technique where Sony was trying to defeat edge enhancement(and they used an anime as reference material to develop the tech). it just made the picture look soft.

lol.

Guest davidwhangchoi

lol.

haha,

this is what some do to make it look polished.

When Predator debuted on Blu-ray in April 2008, on a 25 GB disc, it featured a relatively low bit-rate MPEG-2 transfer, prone to excessive noisiness and compression artifacts. While the film has never been a slick-looking production, and though the 2008 version was certainly the best the movie had looked on home video up until that time, there was an outcry from videophiles who felt it could look even better. The solution, really, was simple: do a remaster, use a less antiquated encode, a higher bit-rate, and put it on a 50 GB dual-layer disc. 20th Century Fox complied for this newUltimate Hunter Edition, but unfortunately, they've must've taken complaints about the film's graininess/noisiness to heart, because they've also slathered this re-release with an ungodly amount of digital noise reduction. Now, this is bound to be controversial. The vocal minority of so- called "grain-haters" will praise this transfer because there's no longer any evidence that Predator was shot on film—it now has a bright, glossy, smeary, plasticized sheen that's as far from filmic as you can get. And, it should be said, about as far from how Predator is supposed to look as you can get. This is revisionist re-releasing at its worst, and most film collectors —who tend to want films to look as close to their original appearance as possible—are going to be severely disappointed. I know I'm going to get hate mail, but I can't conscionably give this transfer any higher than a 2/5.

The texture of the film's grain structure has been stripped entirely from the picture, obliterating the finest details in the process. Arnie's face looks like a candle wax stump, oily and smooth. Carl Weathers' mustache seems airbrushed onto his face. The jungle might as well be digitized. Even the 20th Century Fox logo that opens the film appears soft, under a thick coating of Gaussian blur. This is easily one of the worst abuses of DNR to hit Blu-ray yet. What's frustrating, then, is that in most other regards, this transfer could have been a massive improvement. What's the point of a higher bit-rate if you're just going to scrub away the film's texture? Yes, the transfer looks clean, ultra-colorful, and bright—a good deal brighter than the previous release—but it also looks unnatural, artificial, unnecessarily tampered with. The good news—if you want to call it that—is that black levels are solid, compression artifacts are absent this time around, and edge enhancement is nowhere near as prevalent or overzealous as it is in other DNR'ed-to-oblivion titles. None of this really matters, though, when you're watching an image that looks like it's been rubbed down with Vaseline. I suddenly feel the urge to pray for the fidelity of the Alien quadrilogy box-set being released later this year.

it's evident some scenes in DYRL are really grainy and some not(those scenes that are blurry/soft) very contrasting backgrounds between scenes. the film look really grainy esp. in the intro. then it's super waxy clean, very inconsistent scene to scene.

i think they tried to clean the picture up as best they could but over did it.

Edited by davidwhangchoi