Tomytec Gimix 1:144 VF-1

CF18

So I finally got to assemble the battroid over the weekend. Sad to say it took me not 30 minutes, but hours lol. Mostly I was being careful in cutting the parts from the sprues and then trimming it. It was my first time with such small parts, it was not so easy and my hands aren't big! Haha. Sometimes when I cut a part it would pop away and minutes are spent looking for that tiny part. I had several instances where I feared either I'd lose the part or I'd accidentally step on it. I probably wouldn't be getting another battroid unless it's a VF-1D. It's not a toy I can play with unfortunately. But I like the fighters for display purposes.

Not sure when I can start on the fighter as I can only work on it on weekends. And HMR Max is coming soon anyway, might make me even forget about the Tomytecs for a while. :D

Lay a plain colour tea towel down. Stops parts bouncing.

Use quality snips like Xuron cutters. Parts dont go flying when you cut with them (seriously, these things are awesome!) and the cut really cleanly.

To trim the left over material I use a box cutter with a fresh blade. You, surprisingly, have more control over the large blade for trimming the nibs off than with an Exacto knife. I hold it like you do a knife when peeling an apple or potato.

Even though these are prepainted I've had more success with Tamiya cement ( I mix half a bottle of Thin with half a bottle or Regular) than with Cyano. For seam welding try the Tamiya thin applied through wicking on the joint using a syringe and needle. Run the needle point over a sander to remove the point if you are prone to stabbing yourself.

Once you use cement DO NOT touch the paint. If there is excess cement, leave it. Touching it will smudge the paint. Leaving it will allow it to evaporate and the paint settles down again.

Remember its cement... it doesnt glue, it chemically melts the plastics and allows them to "weld" or blend together. It then evaporates leaving nothing behind but the hardened melted plastic.

So I finally got to assemble the battroid over the weekend. Sad to say it took me not 30 minutes, but hours lol. Mostly I was being careful in cutting the parts from the sprues and then trimming it. It was my first time with such small parts, it was not so easy and my hands aren't big! Haha. Sometimes when I cut a part it would pop away and minutes are spent looking for that tiny part. I had several instances where I feared either I'd lose the part or I'd accidentally step on it. I probably wouldn't be getting another battroid unless it's a VF-1D. It's not a toy I can play with unfortunately. But I like the fighters for display purposes.

Not sure when I can start on the fighter as I can only work on it on weekends. And HMR Max is coming soon anyway, might make me even forget about the Tomytecs for a while. :D

Send them to me, I'll make them for you. :)

The Xuron cutters are OK for cutting thick trees but for precise smooth cuts they just won't do. Especially on these Tomytec kits that have some really small parts. I highly recommend getting the Tamiya sharp-pointed side cutters. Yes, they're very expensive but the difference is like night and day. You can go right to the edge with the Tamiya cutter. Significantly less Xacto knife cleanup/touchup work needed when using the Tamiya cutters. Worth every penny.

Edited by Vifam7

The Xuron cutters are OK for cutting thick trees but for precise smooth cuts they just won't do. Especially on these Tomytec kits that have some really small parts.

did you end up with a set of non-flush Xuron snips?

I have a pair of flush-cut snips by Xuron and they're great... no nubs at all, just a little roughness that I can remove with a few passes of a sanding stick... even on a 90's era Revell/Monogram Starfury kit.

Send them to me, I'll make them for you. :)

And miss the suffering enjoyment in building these damn little things? :D

Anyway, I just ordered new nippers. I was actually using cheap precision cutters bought at a hardware store. I think they worked fine for the battroid (aside from the popping out parts) but for the fighters I don't think they'll do. I'll get Xuron cutters later if the nipper doesn't cut it. Haha

Has anyone experience loose and floppy legs on VF-1's battroids?

Also, some parts on the arms tend to be easily loose on the battroid.

Any recommendations on how I can tighten those polycap joints and arm parts?

I'm thinking of using Elmer's Glue. Is that a good idea?

Thanks in advance!

Has anyone experience loose and floppy legs on VF-1's battroids?

Also, some parts on the arms tend to be easily loose on the battroid.

Any recommendations on how I can tighten those polycap joints and arm parts?

I'm thinking of using Elmer's Glue. Is that a good idea?

Thanks in advance!

Transparent nail polish works just fine for that

I also used Elmer's Glue but it's just a temporary solution for me. That's why in my previous post the battroid got easily dismembered by the regult haha. When I get more serious about building the other Tomytec kits I'll get some 'proper' glue for the kits. My problem is actually the torso when it separates it's kind of annoying.

Mine are Cemented and Supaglued together so on separation issues with the top torso body plate from the middle plate. Just keep the wings moving while it sets if you ever want them to move later on.

Some more shots of the slowly growing collection ready for the dioramas

IMG_20161122_074345_zpsqud7il1v.jpgIMG_20161122_074537_zpstshvpbvt.jpgIMG_20161122_074403_zpsaskbyxst.jpgIMG_20161122_074410_zps5t1idizs.jpg

Love the water dioramas! I've been trying to make a display for my T-70 X-wings and I have the water surface done but I can't figure out how to make the wake. How did you do yours?

Chris

plastic sheet (coke bottle, vac formed packaging, A4 laminate sheet AFTER you feed it though the laminator to stiffen it) cut into a wave shape, heated and curved over into the curling wave, stuck on to the base and bilt up with 3D Artists Gloss Medium in multiple layers, which dried clear eventually, then dry brushed white.

that scene is in the works but with a twist... a Pod downed in the water by them, along with another one over a field of long grass

Edited by NZEOD

Ahh no, thats my man cave office space wall. I build it from an unused hallway and made it soundproof and all mine and not hers! The walls not getting painted, its getting a Macross Photo wallpaper done taken from the Last Sortie books. Its just taking me awhile to find a printer I'm happy with.

Finally done with the brownie fighter. What a big difference a modeling nipper makes! It was a much more pleasant build than the battroid. Unfortunately on the landing gears I put too much force and split one of the covers on the front. So now I have to use the stand but I don't like the included stands that much I think they're too fragile. Anybody knows an alternative stand that can be used for the fighters?

• 4 weeks later...

haven't heard anything as yet, expecting Messers VF-31 next and maybe a Battroid and Gerwalk VF-31A. VF-1 timeline I have NOOOO idea! I'm still collecting my army of Brownies!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2016 at 4:33 PM, NZEOD said:

haven't heard anything as yet, expecting Messers VF-31 next and maybe a Battroid and Gerwalk VF-31A. VF-1 timeline I have NOOOO idea! I'm still collecting my army of Brownies!

yeah, same here. waiting for messers VF-31F and the other VF-31E, with more cf VF-31 in battroid mode.  

Also hoping for VF-1D or the VE-1.  

Edited by ECB5489

• 3 months later...

Well... as we haven't heard anything on this line in quite a while, I'm afraid it's probably dead, but I was able to hunt down a VF 1S fighter mode on Amazon last night and with reward points I had, I only paid nine dollars for it! Total late night win!   The few Macross Tomytecs on eBay are ridiculously priced.

Edited by derex3592

5 hours ago, hachi said:

I've also been looking for a VF1S Roy fighter on the usual sites but no luck. I thought I got one but my memory played a trick on me--I had a battroid!

I have a couple. PM if you get desperate

4 hours ago, NZEOD said:

I have a couple. PM if you get desperate

Noted. Though I am not yet desperate...I just paid shipping for the Tomytec Hikky VF-1J (along with HMR CF valk). That should help me cope in the meantime lol