A Newly Translated Story: The Plundering Fleet

Gubaba

So... it took me WAAAAAY longer than I was expecting, but finally, I'm done with "The Plundering Fleet," one of the stories from Macross Perfect Memory. MW member Roycommi did a version about a decade ago, but (no offense intended) his version was so abridged that it became nearly incomprehensible. However, even the full version suffers from a weak ending...

Whatever. It's written by Kenichi Matsuzaki, who was the script editor for SDFM, and wrote some of the most important episodes (including the first two). He also invented Minovsky Particles.

Anyway, enjoy it before it becomes Robotech RPG fodder!

Plundering Fleet.pdf

Edited by Gubaba

Unfortunately, it's not a next chapter... It's a completely different story.

I'm guessing that the long-term space experiment was what led Global to down the Anti-Unification gang in the Misa novel...? I'm not sure.

EDIT: and, it's at least four times longer than this story... I hope you still like Macross in 2018...

Edited by Gubaba

Unfortunately, it's not a next chapter... It's a completely different story.

I'm guessing that the long-term space experiment was what led Global to down the Anti-Unification gang in the Misa novel...? I'm not sure.

EDIT: and, it's at least four times longer than this story... I hope you still like Macross in 2018...

Yeah I don't know why I said chapter, I actually meant to say next translation.. maybe had a brain lapse moment..

You did the translation of the Misa novel eh?

And yes im sure I'll still like Macross by then! but it won't take you that long will it!? hehe! :lol:

The thing is, I'm translating all this stuff for myself ANYWAY, because A. I want to know, and B. It helps keep my Japanese up and is a good way to learn new kanji.

Since I'm doing it anyway, I figured, why NOT post it.

Now I know why not. It wastes Mommar's precious time.

Edited by Gubaba

Well, given that you even you even said that there wasn't much going on with this story I figured I'd support your translation work (because i do appreciate it) but agree with you that certain things probably don't need full translations. I didn't know you were going after every story there is for your own personal growth as well. If you want it all done, go for it, I'll read it. I just felt in the grand scheme of Macross it wasn't really important.

I'll add that your use of language is far superior to many fan translated pieces I've read, I finished this story only because I appreciated how easily it read.

As for your comment Renato, I'll say it right to his face.

Edited by Mommar

Well, given that you even you even said that there wasn't much going on with this story I figured I'd support your translation work (because i do appreciate it) but agree with you that certain things probably don't need full translations. I didn't know you were going after every story there is for your own personal growth as well. If you want it all done, go for it, I'll read it. I just felt in the grand scheme of Macross it wasn't really important.

I'll add that your use of language is far superior to many fan translated pieces I've read, I finished this story only because I appreciated how easily it read.

As for your comment Renato, I'll say it right to his face.

You didn't answer my question, though. What about "The Lost Two Years"? Is that worth it?

It's not helpful for you to tell me AFTER the translation is finished. Tell me before, or don't tell me at all.

You didn't answer my question, though. What about "The Lost Two Years"? Is that worth it?

It's not helpful for you to tell me AFTER the translation is finished. Tell me before, or don't tell me at all.

I have no idea, I can't read Japanese and have no idea what the story is about. It would be your call.

Edited by Mommar

The thing is, I'm translating all this stuff for myself ANYWAY, because A. I want to know, and B. It helps keep my Japanese up and is a good way to learn new kanji.

Since I'm doing it anyway, I figured, why NOT post it.

Now I know why not. It wastes Mommar's precious time.

I read it and thought it was a very entertaining story about Macross history that I wouldn't have known otherwise. I appreciate the effort you've gone to in doing this but not only that, your willingness to share it. I think the fact that a few have expressed a neutral reaction to it (if I can label it that way) is not indicative of the quality of your work, or even of the story.

In a word: Thanks!

In a few: keep doing what you do because it builds and adds its own threads to a rich universe that I personally enjoy, even after 30 some years. Your work is very much appreciated.

It's cool you did this, but it really only required a summary.

There's always someone who whines about someone doing something good out of the kindness of wanting to do it.

Thanks, Gubaba. Can't wait to get some time to read this.

Edited by Jasonc

I'm a huge Macross fan and I love reading. I'm always grateful to dedicated fans willing to translate material English speaking fans wouldn't have otherwise. Gubaba should be praised for his work and more fans should be encouraged to do so. As a western fan of Macross I feel we have so little compared to other mainstream anime. Anything that trickles down to us in our own language should be cherished.