Who's your favorite Macross Character?

A stage musical.

Very cool. I mean, I don't like musicals, nor would I have understood it, but way to go Macross, crossing genres and bending reality!

Let's keep it going. I'm going to apologize once more to anyone I may have pissed off (Specifically Gubaba), I just realized I've been taking my dissatisfaction over being sick, out on y'all. I hate being sick, and trying to cough up a lung every other breath could piss anyone off, so I apologize for my foul mood.

yeah she's a cutie alright!

She's the essence of Macross 7!!!! Also, the Fire Bomber rhythm section. Ray and Veffidas don't get enough love.

Macross is so much about triangles and ensembles but if I had to pick a proper favorite it's a toss up between Basara and Sheryl.

Although in fairness Sheryl technically was a flower girl so... hrm.

Edited by stray

Although in fairness Sheryl technically was a flower girl so... hrm.

Only if you follow the movie continuity... I don't know why I just said that like it was a bad thing... I guess I just preferred the series over the movies...

Only if you follow the movie continuity... I don't know why I just said that like it was a bad thing... I guess I just preferred the series over the movies...

Uh oh... Valkyrie are you a closet Ranka shipper? I didn't mean to hit a nerve.

I dunno, I really liked the series but I thought it was flawed in a lot of ways especially towards the end; the movies (and the care that went into making them) just floored me. Definitely one of my favorite parts of the Macross universe.

Uh oh... Valkyrie are you a closet Ranka shipper? I didn't mean to hit a nerve.

I dunno, I really liked the series but I thought it was flawed in a lot of ways especially towards the end; the movies (and the care that went into making them) just floored me. Definitely one of my favorite parts of the Macross universe.

No, I just preferred the non-alto-fangirl Sheryl from the series. Don't get me wrong I found the movies entertaining, and the second one is great (10 second Isamu cameo makes it automatically good). The story the movies showed was interesting, I just like the series better.

Misa Hayase. I think she was the most complex character in all of Macross. She suffered the loss of her lover, lived in the shadow and disapproval of her father, occupied a high leadership position rife with enormous pressure in unprecedented circumstances, was captured, poked, and prodded by giant sex-fearing aliens, and began a relationship with an indecisive guy with baggage of the cute singing variety. I like that she was a strong competent leader, but she was also human, and her frailties were also explored. Hikaru chose wisely in the end.

Misa for me too, such a great character. Probably my favourite anime character of all time, largely for the reasons quoted above.

Sylvie and Roy would have to duke it out for runner up - I enjoy/ed them both.

Tough call... Macross as a whole has had some REALLY good casts.

For me, it's probably a toss-up between Roy Focker and Sheryl Nome. Roy's that cool big brother figure everybody wanted to have growing up, and he was such a badass as a pilot that they named medals after him and being "Skull Leader" is a mark of badass status in and of itself. Sheryl... well... IMO, she's the most well-rounded of Macross's leading ladies. She's everything audiences loved about Misa, but in a more outgoing package.

Love the reasoning and agree, but need something for Isamu in there too. Total bad-ass not giving a flying f---. Just doing what he wants to do and is damn good at it!

My pic is homage to the FIRST anime idol. So many people forget who started the anime idol movement.

My two daughters are named Millia and Seila, so Millia (and Chlore). I'm also a massive fan of Misa.

Gundam (mostly UC era) and Macross (everything up to M7 and DYRL?) are my favourite mainstream anime. Followed closely by Yamato, Gatchaman and Dunbine (especially OAVs). I am also a big fan of Ginga Eiyuu no densetsu and Five Star Stories. Others include Dirty Pair, Urusei Yatsura and Lodoss tou Senki along with a lot of historical fantasy stuff like Otogi Zoshi and Utsunomiko.

• 3 weeks later...

Good ol' Hikaru.

I kind of like in Macross that you can tell that Hikaru was a civilian just some weeks or months ago depending the moment you watch the show. The way he talks, he acts, he responds to his officers, that's not your typical military stuff and it makes a cool dynamic.

Plus, considering the situation he's in, he's freaking open to alternative solutions to end the conflict and about the attitude to have towards the zentradis. He's not a dog of war, an extremist but do have a good sens of duty. He's a good pilot but he's no Max. That's a balanced character, virtues and flaws, and actually ends up as a deeper character that you could hope watching the view first episodes.

Edited by Castel

Im going on with Basara from M7, although I dont get why people focus on the negative traits of his personality.
What I admire of him was his convintion and for what he believed unyielding.
Remember he was some guy with a garage band, none believe what he could be doing was right (aside of Ray). And he convince even the military that his way was the way to go. (Although he was a pain in the ass) and became the most famous rock band in the galaxy in the process!!

Bomba!!!

Edited by Mr Bomber

Roy Focker reminds me of my dad. In a lot of ways, so I didn't really want to pick him as my favorite because in my mind that's like me saying "My favorite character is the one who's almost identical to my dad..."

But you're absolutely right, Macross has some really good casts. Especially M7 and Frontier, I mean Basara acted like a turd a lot, but the rest of the cast was really great because who doesn't love Max and Milia?

That's funny. Roy reminds me of my dad as well. Does your dad fly drunk also?

I'll have to go with this guy, afterall he's a proven bad ass. Who else is a crack pilot in a, war, single handedly penetrated earth defenses, and joined a pmc company after his military tour.

Isamu Alfa Dyson.

Alfalfa?

post-1318-0-29088100-1444863781.jpg