Hasegawa announces a TV SDF-1 and a Super Messiah!

cool8or

Don't care. Looks good. Can fix. Can't wait! :D

Yep! Agree wholeheartedly!

None of this is a deal breaker for me.

Even if it turns out that I can't modify these issues (which I highly doubt will happen) i

t still looks pretty darned good to my eyes,

Plus I get a real kick out of taking kits that don't look 'right' and making fixin' em up so they do. (one of the reasons I love building old 80's kits so much.) YMMV.

And we can make 'other' SDFs! They don't all look exactly the same, so the minor differences could mean making multiple UN Spacy ships to fill out that Super Long Distance Colony Fleet.

That right there ^^^

Or to me, just the fact that it's going to become part of Macross collecting history... The time Hasegawa released that one model kit that mixed the 2 Macross(es?), so I've come to decide that I'm going to build it the way it is, exactly like the box art...

Plus THE BOX ART alone is enough reason to get the kit! I mean c'mon....Tenjin!!! I'm wondering why they released a picture of the art without the text on it. Will it come with a mini poster?

I'll just make a complete 1/4000 TV SDF-1 kit to complement this and the DYRL one. :D

Has anyone else noticed that on Tenjin-san's artwork, you can't see the mistaken front end? Tinfoil hat time, but do you think Hasegawa knew they were making that error and didn't want to draw attention to it?

Edited by Jefuemon

Has anyone else noticed that on Tenjin-san's artwork, you can't see the mistaken front end? Tinfoil hat time, but do you think Hasegawa knew they were making that error and didn't want to draw attention to it?

Yes, Hasegawa knew what they were "making an error". They have been in the model business a long time, and you just have to look at the quality of their products (1/72, and 1/48 aircraft kits) to know that they didn't "accidentally" get a few details wrong with this kit. They have made dimensional mistakes on some of their kits in the past, but the errors here are so obvious, that it is plainly deliberate.

Hasegawa is in the business of making money. Their business model can been seen in their aircraft kits - make one set of molds and release half a dozen boxings of the same kit with the only difference being in the decals. If there is enough difference between variants, they will release additional sprues (usually small) of new parts. You can see this in their range of 1/48 F-16 kits.

That's what they are doing here. If you study the parts and the sprue layout for the DYRL SDF-1, you can see that they would have had to redesign almost every part except the stand to get an accurate TV SDF-1 from the original kit. So instead, they are doing what they always do - reuse as much as possible, while updating only the parts that are blatantly different (bow section, Prometheus/Deadalus arms, etc.).

Hasegawa figured that they could get a "close enough" version of the TV SDF-1 from the DYRL version and did the bare minimum they could to make it a close representation from three feet away because that's what makes good business sense. As the previous posts show, fans will still buy it (me included). Am I disappointed? Yes. Am I surprised that they did this? Not the least bit.

Edited by flyboy

I think Tenjin is illustrating the Macross from lineart and film, not the model kit. Very rarely does box-art recreate the model kit (Except the old Monogram and Revell kits that just a giant photo of the finished model).

I've gotta ask the question, will the Monster mecha fit inside the Daedalus? That's what I'd like to know ;) You can see where this is going... - MT

This make sense to me, because if the box shows something that is not actually present in the kit, costumers could accuse them for "cheating publicity"

I think Tenjin is illustrating the Macross from lineart and film, not the model kit. Very rarely does box-art recreate the model kit (Except the old Monogram and Revell kits that just a giant photo of the finished model).

No, he does draw the model kit, sometimes having to go back and change parts of the picture if Hasegawa changes something about the kit.

Look at the Angelbirds box art, for example. Even though it's a TV series Valk, it has a movie-style pilot in the cockpit, because that's all Hasegawa made at that time.

Edited by Gubaba

You're right Gubaba. In fact, we need just to see how the decals are present in the box illustration: that kind of details doesn't appear in the animation or linearts.

I hate to be the one to say this, but I'm disappointed that Hasegawa certain visually-inaccurate DYRL parts for the TV version, it really does compromise the look of the kit: the leg/thruster design and where the bow meets the middle hull are particularly irksome.

I agree, this is NOT the SDFM version IMO. I don't want some damned Frankenstein version of the SDFM. I want a proper, true SDFM SDF-1. I'm not buying this.

I've gotta ask the question, will the Monster mecha fit inside the Daedalus? That's what I'd like to know ;) You can see where this is going... - MT

DING DING DING!!!

What a fabulous Idea!

Now I really can't wait for my preorder to come in!

Eh, the hate is definitely out of hand.

Not hate, just extreme disappointment with this particular kit. Hate would be "I'm never building any Hasegawa kits ever again!"

Eh, the hate is definitely out of hand. This isn't any different than what Bandai does EVERY time they make a gundam kit. I consider this an update of the original design bringing to modern standards and adding some "REALISM"

I don't care about some Gundam Kit. I care about the SDF-1 looking right, and this doesn't.

Lol. There's a huge difference between customizing, kit bashing and scratchbuilding. What's needed here is straight out scratch building.

Annd I don't see the big deal about people complaining about not getting a faithful TV version SDF-1. People were thrown for a curve ball. To expect people not to say anything would be be the dumb part.

I can understand people being bummed and upset. Imagine if the 1/350 Yorktown was simply relabeled as the CV-6 Enterprise, with 'correction' parts?

If we're told a TV version is coming out, it's expected that an as true to version as possible is what's sold.

With this kit, there are enough differences in that only a hybrid is created. Which is Hasegawa playing fast and cheap with their customers, which is not a good thing for a company to do.

And let's be honest, not every modeler has a kit-basher or scratch builder in them. Some people don't want to cut and carve and sand entirely new pieces.

They just want to snip, sand and glue and then paint it and put it on a shelf.

Myself, I'm perfectly fine with some extra work to clean it up, but then that's me... :p

Edited by Thom

I can understand people being bummed and upset. Imagine if the 1/350 Yorktown was simply relabeled as the CV-6 Enterprise, with 'correction' parts?

If we're told a TV version is coming out, it's expected that an as true to version as possible is what's sold.

With this kit, there are enough differences in that only a hybrid is created. Which is Hasegawa playing fast and cheap with their customers, which is not a good thing for a company to do.

And let's be honest, not every modeler has a kit-basher or scratch builder in them. Some people don't want to cut and carve and sand entirely new pieces.

They just want to snip, sand and glue and then paint it and put it on a shelf.

Myself, I'm perfectly fine with some extra work to clean it up, but then that's me... :p

Here's the thing, I'm not a model builder. But I'm willing to try for an honest-to-god sdfm version of the SDF-1 because it keeps being short changed for an (imo) inferior DYRL version. When I heard a fantastic model company like Hasegawa was finally making one I was excited. Instead I find it's just a bastardized DYRL SDF-1 and that isn't what I want.

Here's the thing, I'm not a model builder. But I'm willing to try for an honest-to-god sdfm version of the SDF-1 because it keeps being short changed for an (imo) inferior DYRL version. When I heard a fantastic model company like Hasegawa was finally making one I was excited. Instead I find it's just a bastardized DYRL SDF-1 and that isn't what I want.

I guess that's the problem. You don't customize at all. VF-2SS not to your liking? COMPLAIN. VF-0A colors not to your liking? COMPLAIN. Hasegawa SDF-1 not to your your liking? COMPLAIN.

Learn some customization tricks, and you'll stop complaining.

Edited by Gubaba