Hasegawa announces a TV SDF-1 and a Super Messiah!

cool8or

See line-art and Imai kit below. You see that the area where the bow meets the main hull has a bulge on the side that then becomes flush with the hull/aft portion of the gun. The legs are also far simpler, with no greebly detail on them (panorimic wondows or other details. Now compare this to the Hasegawa version and you'll see why I think that they totally dropped the ball. The Hasegawa kit is nice, it's just not a proper SDF:M version.

post-632-0-29307400-1441385108_thumb.jpeg

post-632-0-74260200-1441385119_thumb.png

Edited by captain america

I'm OK with the legs being reused. I like that they added some more length to the booms. However, I agree with Captain on the area where the bow joins with the hull.

It wouldn't have been that had to add a sprue and replace that intake-looking portion with the curved parts.

Also:

post-2681-0-48711000-1441386460_thumb.jpg

I hate to be the one to say this, but I'm disappointed that Hasegawa certain visually-inaccurate DYRL parts for the TV version, it really does compromise the look of the kit: the leg/thruster design and where the bow meets the middle hull are particularly irksome.

Just saw those pictures and I have to agree with you. The concave slope on the underside of the ship's bow is such a visually distinctive feature of the TV version that leaving it out is pretty much akin to leaving the DYRL? style bridge on.

I'm disappointed that this is such a lame cop out attempt from Hasegawa when usually they are better than that. Either go full TV or go Macross the First, but don't go half assed and give us a little mix of both.

I believe I'll be cancelling mine.

This is a good start, bit it definitely is going to need some work. Along with the previously mentioned missteps, what is getting me is the main guns.

It appears that the 'scoop' on the bottom of the booms is completely absent and the length from the tip of the guns back to the lower blue section of the main, central core is much too short.

Gonna have to figure out how to mod this when I get it.

I'm OK with the legs being reused. I like that they added some more length to the booms. However, I agree with Captain on the area where the bow joins with the hull.

It wouldn't have been that had to add a sprue and replace that intake-looking portion with the curved parts.

Also:

yes! that's what my mind's eye couldn't see -- the curved parts under the main gun! They're not there! LAME! I mean how hard could it have been for Hasagawa to start with the old Imai kit and improve on it? I still think it's proportions are pretty darn accurate to the line art - especially for the 80's!

Edited by derex3592

Agree. I didn't comment with my picture comparison up there, but it's such an obvious mistake. Really strange…they could have at least put some kind of curve there.

I thought the gun mount shoulder things were also too low based on the elevation view that I posted, but the perspective view is more like the Hasegawa kit.

Nope... just checked. Macross The First is definitely the DYRL SDF-1 with the Prometheus and Daedalus installed.

Well, I have a lot of the TV SDF-1 modeled, I wonder if I can just resize the necessary parts to fix this. I have mine ordered so we'll find out.

Nope... just checked. Macross The First is definitely the DYRL SDF-1 with the Prometheus and Daedalus installed.

Well, I have a lot of the TV SDF-1 modeled, I wonder if I can just resize the necessary parts to fix this. I have mine ordered so we'll find out.

Speaking of MTF, is your 1/3000 Prometheus and Daedalus project still alive?

Speaking of MTF, is your 1/3000 Prometheus and Daedalus project still alive?

I had problems with the connections. the magnets just weren't strong enough. I also decided to make the entire 1/3000 instead that's why I have a lot of the TV version modeled already...but it won't come out until probably Cap comes out with his. But I'll continue with my project even if it turns out to be a one off. I just have too many commissions before it. Gotta pay the bills! In fact one of those commissions should be announced this weekend.

Well, seeing as there will probably be a market for it, I volunteer the good Captain to offer up a resin correction set for the undersized bow and the incorrectly-shapped mid section. (I can live with the legs) Hint, hint. :)

Edited by flyboy

Depends on the price, Cap. I love watching you work, but can't afford your full kits. With this being a fairly small mod, it might not be that bad.

Just the bow? Or are you thinking of doing the legs too?

Edit: oooohhh, you're gonna do a 1/3000. Cool, but a pass, then.

Edited by Kelsain

Well in my mind it's settled: it's not even passably TV-accurate and it's not 1/3000. With your support I intend to remedy both factors as my next project.

When you talk about "both factors" you mean the correction for the Hasegawa Kit and a new 1/3000 SDF-1?

If that's the case, I'm in for the conversion kit for the Hasegawa, can't afford two of your kits in less than a year :(

Edited by joscasle

The conversion kit might cost more than the Hasegawa kit itself because it's all the major parts of the ship. Body, legs and the main gun... I'm really shocked Hasegawa did this. I think Arcadia or Yamato brought up this option also after they did their movie version.

post-151-0-72087300-1441477092_thumb.jpg post-151-0-41005500-1441477093_thumb.jpg post-151-0-24846200-1441477094_thumb.jpg post-151-0-15544000-1441477095_thumb.jpg post-151-0-96872900-1441477095_thumb.jpg post-151-0-44229200-1441477096_thumb.jpg post-151-0-95563800-1441477096_thumb.jpg post-151-0-53014300-1441477097_thumb.jpg post-151-0-96332600-1441477097_thumb.jpg

I AM disappointed. How can you look at the lineart (even the animation which always changes) and come up with the scoop thing? It's reminiscent of Space Battleship Yamato! The Daedalus looks pretty good and the Promethius is too chunky; it needs to be channelled length wise.

Thanks Jefuemon, PLEASE let us know if Hasegawa relpies to you. Somebody HAD to look at the graphics too see it was screwed up before going to mold creation. Maybe it was done by the boss' son and nobody wanted to speak up :o - MT

The more I look at it, the more I can't unsee the errors, so I just canceled my order. First time I've ever canceled a Hasegawa pre-order.

And I haven't heard anything on my tweet yet.