Sooo im rewatching SDF Macross and....

Mr Bomber

Can believe how engaging it is, still so many times ive seen it.

I thought in rewatching all the macross series a bit a go, and last night i started by poppin Volume 1: Upon shoulder of the giants.

Ive seen the series several times in the last 10 years, but i think last time i saw it was 5 years ago, and i can believe it still captures me the same way it did when i was a kid, i watched the entire volume (6 eps) until 2 am, and i was thinking in popping volume 2, but thought it getting some sleep since i catched a cold several days ago.

I thought in posting the chronicles and commentaries about it here, and share the expirience with others,

post-30636-0-72924700-1440126374_thumb.jpg

under crimson skies for tonight!

Edited by Mr Bomber

Wow, it's funny how everyone is watching this again recently. Just the other day I finished the entire run -- one episode a day on average -- with my wife. She had not seen the whole thing before, despite obviously knowing what a hardcore fan I am. She really enjoyed it! :)

We have a custom in my household where we watch a half hour of TV over tea after dinner. We're taking a break from anime for a while now (prior to Macross we went through the whole of Dirty Pair and Shirobako) and instead we're going to do one episode a day of Big Bang Theory.

I do want to watch Macross7 again, though.... B))

Hope I could join this conversation in the upcoming weeks and months since I'm planning on rewatching the first series again. ;)

try to watch couple of episodes and join up the chat then!

Wow, it's funny how everyone is watching this again recently. Just the other day I finished the entire run -- one episode a day on average -- with my wife. She had not seen the whole thing before, despite obviously knowing what a hardcore fan I am. She really enjoyed it! :)

We have a custom in my household where we watch a half hour of TV over tea after dinner. We're taking a break from anime for a while now (prior to Macross we went through the whole of Dirty Pair and Shirobako) and instead we're going to do one episode a day of Big Bang Theory.

I do want to watch Macross7 again, though.... B))

Well to be honest i want to rewatch M7 again too! it was my fav Macross series, but since its being a long time since i have seen it, i thought in watch them all again in production order.

Last one should be Wings of Goodbye, which i havent seen yet.

You know i kinda did the same thing with my last gf, set time aside and watched 1 ep from 3 different shows. Its really an enjoyable time with someone you care about.

• 4 weeks later...

It was only earlier in the year I re-watched SDFM with my son who watched it for the first time and it was great! I could easily watch it again! Also not long ago I re-watched Zero & Plus.

I want to tackle Frontier again but M7 I don't think I could handle watching again.. its just too long and Basara's character and all the singing are just too irritating. Dynamite 7 was good though!

Edited by spanner76

It was only earlier in the year I re-watched SDFM with my son who watched it for the first time and it was great! I could easily watch it again! Also not long ago I re-watched Zero & Plus.

I want to tackle Frontier again but M7 I don't think I could handle watching again.. its just too long and Basara's character and all the singing are just too irritating. Dynamite 7 was good though!

Just watch one episode of M7 a week. :)

I'm probably going to rewatch the series again soon. All the screen shots I've been taking for the Newbie thread is drawing me back into the series. I think it's been at least two years since I've last watched the series, possibly more, I can't exactly recall. I wonder now, how many times I've watched it? That'd be interesting to know the "times watched count" from other fans or even how often fans watch the many Macross series over time. I know some fans have told me they rewatch SDF Macross once a year, kinda like an anniversary. I'm curious now :)

Edited by Mr March

• 2 weeks later...

Some of you might be familiar with the Gundam Mega Marathon I've been on for the past couple of years and I'm not abandoning it, but with the announcement of the new Macross Delta tv series, I realized it had been quite a while since I had watched Macross. Therefore, I'll be going on a Macross Mega Marathon, which should be a little less consuming than the Gundam Marathon.
Don't worry, I'm not giving up on Gundam; I'll of course be watching G-Tekketsu as it airs. Anyway, I'll be posting my impressions here, just like with my Gundam thread.

(It also helps that it's Macross's 33rd Anniversary today and that everyone else seems to be watching it as well.) icon_cool.gif

EPISODE 1: BOOBY TRAP

Iconic Scene: Hikaru's VF-1D rises out of the rubble.

post-14071-0-71954400-1444343763_thumb.png

Quotable Quotes: It was decided in the Defense Council yesterday that once the Macross lifted off into space, if we were to ever encounter alien lifeforms, we were not to initiate hostilities. How ironic that sounds now.

Best Scene: In this episode... probably Hikaru for his devil may care stunts but you know he's going to make big mistakes like this in the future.

Best Death: The ARMD-1. better brush up on carrier battle doctrine.

So here's episode and it's a great opener to the series. Not to heavy on exposition and we don't even have to be formally introduced to the entire cast. Since it's been about three whole years since i've watched the original series I love going through these episodes and noticing all the little details I never noticed before.

EPISODE 2: COUNTDOWN

Iconic Scene: HIkaru attacks!

post-14071-0-70107100-1444343784_thumb.png

Quotable Quotes: Not you, you idiot! THE GIRL!

Best Scene: The scene where Hikaru has to save Minmay in freefall. Kinda surprised they didn't go for the upskirt shot.

Best Death: The poor schmuck who gets point-blanked by a Reguld.

I saw the OTHER version of this episode for about 5 minutes in about 1998. It's what later gave me the reference point for what Macross was. As for this episode specifically, things start getting real as Britai's fleet makes the first serious attempt to capture tha Macross. Two things that i also mentioned in the pictures: Roy, stop worrying about getting some jailbait and go DO YOUR JOB. Secondly, where are all the Destroids? Isn't this what they were specifically designed for?

Also, check out this link for a gallery of screenshots from the episodes:https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... b7090795f7

I watched the series with my 10-year old… after a few episodes he was singing the theme song around the house. Since he's used to watching better-produced shows, though, it was a little hard to hold his interest at times.

Overall we really enjoyed it and have a good memory of seeing it together, but the animation quality is so uneven. And man, Hikaru is such an idiot.

EPISODE 3: SPACE FOLD

Iconic Scene: The Macross space folds for the first time… and it doesn’t go quite right...

Quotable Quotes: The Fold System has… disappeared.

Best Scene: Probably Roy escaping with Hikaru and Minmay just for the sheer amount of animation errors

Best Death: The hapless, nameless Reguld pilot who punches a hole into the Macross’s hull for Hikaru and Minmay.

So, episode 3, the comedy of errors continues. Because the Macross can't get a break, Global orders a space fold... a space fold with the heretofore untested Fold System. And of course it goes wrong, stranding everyone on the edge of the solar system. We also get some signs of the UN Forces High Command's forthcoming douchebaggery.

Also, check out this link for a gallery of screenshots from the episodes:https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... b7090795f7

EPISODE 4: LYNN MINMAY (stuff for episode 4 starts with the picture of Hikaru's watch)

Iconic Scene: SPACE TUNA!

Quotable Quotes: Tuna! Sashimi!

Best Scene: Hikaru leaps out into space to get a tuna... even though he likely would have frozen to death almost instantly.

Best Death: The tuna that gave it's life because the fold system malfunctioned and then became dinner for Hikaru and Minmay.

Best Scene: Hikaru leaps out into space to get a tuna... even though he likely would have frozen to death almost instantly.

I question this. You shouldn't actually cool off THAT fast in space. It's not like jumping in a pool full of ice water, because there's no matter there to conduct heat away. You only cool down radiatively.

Certainly, you WILL get damn cold, but in the near-perfect vacuum of space doing so FAST isn't an option.

I have more issue with the idea he could make his flight suit close enough to airtight with just a thickly wrapped scarf around the neck. I'mma just pretend the scarf was actually duck tape. ape.

It was still a terrible idea, though I grant it would seem less of one to a teenage boy trying to impress a cute girl.

Edited by JB0

Am in episode 20. This is actually my first time through SDFM in Japanese. So much frickin' better. I've been binging for the last year, went through Mospeada, Southern Cross, Orguss, Dunbine, 7, Frontier, and now SDFM. Guess it was the universe telling me to jump back in in time for Delta.

Am in episode 20. This is actually my first time through SDFM in Japanese. So much frickin' better. I've been binging for the last year, went through Mospeada, Southern Cross, Orguss, Dunbine, 7, Frontier, and now SDFM. Guess it was the universe telling me to jump back in in time for Delta.

Saved the best for last, right?

• 4 weeks later...

I finished watching the series couple weeks back, and with all the momentum, i went straight to 2, Plus and Zero.

I skipped 7 because i wanted to take my time watching it again, also Zero i only watched it once when it was released around 12 years ago or so, and it got kinda blurry on my memory!

Now back to topic:

It was great to rewatch a show i loved so much as a kid (as robotech) and i got to appreciate as i grew up (and learning the truth around the macross/robotech thing).

Its being years, and i still find new things i did not recall from the show before (like the VF-4G on Hikarus room (remember i watched this years ago, before i ever had a thought about collecting valks!)

Although the last episodes kinda felt like dragged the story a bit, since the conclusion of the main story was on ep 26, i like the focus on what happened after the end, an epilogue of sorts, instead of letting all of us thinking

that everyone lived happily ever after, seeing that there were still problems after the resolution of the story it made it feel more real, and i love it. Too bad most of my beloved anime series ended in a lame way.

post-30636-0-78466500-1447644170_thumb.png

post-30636-0-33365400-1447644172_thumb.png

post-30636-0-12859700-1447644173_thumb.png

Got up to episode 8 and starting into 9.

Some things I completely forgot about. Minmay's aunt's/uncle's restaurant is the Nyan Nyan Chinese restaurant.

The SDF-1 was designed to dock with the ARMD ships. But, ARMD ships were shot down before they could dock.

The SDF-1 originally couldn't transform. It was converted after the first fold because the power conduits folded away along with the fold drive and they had to figure out a way to connect the main cannon directly to the main power reactor. The power originally routed through the fold drive.

Edited by sharky

The SDF-1 originally couldn't transform. It was converted after the first fold because the power conduits folded away along with the fold drive and they had to figure out a way to connect the main cannon directly to the main power reactor. The power originally routed through the fold drive.

Yeah, thats why it transforms and it makes sense it does when they need to shot. the other series with battleship transformations do it just for show XD

I'm up to the episode that shows a Macross_nalds. Ha ha, I forgot about that as well.

The Minmay dolls are being sold at a General Products store. That was a nice Easter egg of sorts.

An FYI to some 18+ content. Of course we all know Minmay's shower scene shows her butt and side boob. Also, Roy has a topless nudie poster in his room.

Also, I kind of like the changes to Roy's death in DYRL among some other things. It's much more epic than the way he dies in the series.

Although Kakizaki's death in the series is a little bit better in the show vs. DYRL IMO. Still his death in DYRL ranks pretty high in shock factor and pure awesomeness.

I liked how they maintained continuity when Max crashes through the bridge area of Britai's ship. In later episodes they show it still damaged since Zentradi lack the capability to repair or build new.

Although now that I think about it didn't the micloned Zentradi spies have to repair the Reguld to escape the SDF-1. Was that a result of being exposed to protoculture.

Edited by sharky

Technically, the last one should be FB7...

Good thing there's a new series on the horizon, since FB7 makes for a dismal finale.

Wait, finale? It does not seem to end chronologically after either version of Frontier.

And if you mean "latest item produced", isn't that the M30 game? (Dubious canonicity, but so is FB7).

New series is a good thing for sure, though.

Also, I kind of like the changes to Roy's death in DYRL among some other things. It's much more epic than the way he dies in the series.

It's awesome and manly, but I think his TV series death carries more weight.

Although Kakizaki's death in the series is a little bit better in the show vs. DYRL IMO.

In fairness, Kakizaki's barely a PERSON in DYRL. In both cases, though, he bites it through no fault of his own. Just wrong place, wrong time.

I liked how they maintained continuity when Max crashes through the bridge area of Britai's ship. In later episodes they show it still damaged since Zentradi lack the capability to repair or build new.

That's DEFINITELY a nice touch.

Although now that I think about it didn't the micloned Zentradi spies have to repair the Reguld to escape the SDF-1. Was that a result of being exposed to protoculture.

I think they actually reclaimed the reguld that Hikaru, Max, Misa, and Kakizaki stole to escape from the zentradi fleet. It's the only reason I can think of for there to be a reguld parked in the Macross, though that raises the question of how they gained access to it..