1/60 SF-3A Lancer II

neptunesurvey

2j18kys.jpg

Neptune Models 1/60 SF-3A Lancer II

This is an unpainted/unbuilt resin model kit but is scaled with the 1/60 toys.

Includes clear hinged canopy, a partially rotating front sensor and two pilot figures. 1 seated and 1 standing.

IMG_5685 (Medium).JPG IMG_5686 (Medium).JPG IMG_5680 (Medium) (Medium).JPG IMG_5690 (Medium).JPG IMG_5689 (Medium).JPG IMG_5691 (Medium).JPG IMG_5692 (Medium).JPG

See 1/72 version part break down here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=42866

See for sale thread here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=42868

Very cool! But I don't know how to build resin kits.

The same way you build model kits. Resin works almost exactly the way regular model kits work. Clean up the part, primer, paint, if you even need to. There's not a lot of painting that needs to go into this, so this should be a good intro to resin kits.

And they often have fewer parts since parts are molded whole, instead of having left and right pieces.

For example, if this was a plastic kit those long frontal tubes would be two halves that you'd have to glue together then putty and sand out the seams.

The price tag is the only thing that's stopping me (though not unusual for a resin kit).

The same way you build model kits. Resin works almost exactly the way regular model kits work. Clean up the part, primer, paint, if you even need to. There's not a lot of painting that needs to go into this, so this should be a good intro to resin kits.

Thanks! I may check it out.

Funny, I always thought these were unmanned drones since you don't hear any pilot chatter or death cries when they get blown up. They also kinda move like ghosts when they dodge enemy fire.

Anyway, looks like this doesn't come with a display stand? Also, I've never had any resin kits before. Will they deform after some time? I've seen some resin anime girl figures from before that have terrible lean issues after a decade or so.

That's probably because there's a lot of weight over a very thin resin piece, like an ankle, say. I've built Warhammer Forge World resin kits for years, and they've never given me any droop issues. This one looks solid as well.

Any of you guys who have never done a resin kit, I made a starters "how to guide" a couple of weeks ago over the models forums. I started a couple of years ago with a single Zentraedi scout ship and went on from there. They are different, but if the quality of the resin is good, (which I'm sure these are) then it can be a rewarding experience.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=42583

Funny, I always thought these were unmanned drones since you don't hear any pilot chatter or death cries when they get blown up. They also kinda move like ghosts when they dodge enemy fire.

Anyway, looks like this doesn't come with a display stand? Also, I've never had any resin kits before. Will they deform after some time? I've seen some resin anime girl figures from before that have terrible lean issues after a decade or so.

I have only seen this with the PVC anime statues, I have never heard of a resin cast doing that. Usually it is related to heat in the environment that the PVC statue is in, and if it has any really top heavy gear/stuff/weapons/boobs. I have several resin statues that I could not possibly begin to imagine them bending as resin is a hard material, all it can really do is break. My wife is a champ at breaking resin hair on anime girls, all of the broken parts did not bend at all before snapping off.

Edited by Loop

Hmm, perhaps I am mistaken about them being resin. All I know is that theY came in boxes without display windows, and needed paint and assembly. One of the old hobby shops I used to go to had one or two assembled ones on display, but I never bothered because not only can't I build them right, but the sculpts for anime figures were really bad in general around a decade ago.

Edited by ArchieNov

Very cool! But I don't know how to build resin kits.

This is an easy build kit. Every part has a peg or is slotted to fit into each other. No metal rods required. In fact some parts weren't even glued.

Will this come in white? Or does it have to be painted white?

Edit: Sorry, just saw the parts breakdown. It comes in gray.

This will come in white resin. The parts breakdown was the master and was primered to show detail in the photographs. Notice the absence of the clear resin, which wasn't casted yet.

These were stress and heat tested. The radar was left in direct sunlight, two days in a row to see if it would start to droop and it didn't. But as in any case, it all depends in the location and conditions where you store your model.

photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

This kit has way fewer parts than a model kit, and to be honest, seeing the parts here, this can't be any easier to put together. I've worked with resin that cures in white, which means this thing pretty much comes in the proper color. Going by the other parts, the seem like simple mask and paint. If what's stopping you is putting a few pieces together, then there's not much anyone can help you with. This is really like kit building pre 101 when it comes to the parts, by observation.

And to add, resin isn't much different than regular ABS, especially the smooth-on white resin.

Edited by Jasonc

As long as it's mixed properly, and is a good quality resin, it should be fine. Resins come in a wide variety of properties and types. Some have enough aluminum in them to give them a very hard and almost metal type of feel, while some are softer and can have some play with a slight rubber like property. I'm familiar with this resin, and it's very good quality, and not cheap. I'm sure you can expect good recasts from this. Besides, IF (and a big if) you happen to put this near a hot spot and a part sags. really hot water will solve the problem. I've never had that issue with this resin.

Very well done! While I won't be getting one, due to time & budget restraints, it looks great, and I'm excited for those who'll buy.

Having said that, is there any chance you'd offer the pilots on their own? Do they fit in the standard VF-1 cockpit?

This is an easy build kit. Every part has a peg or is slotted to fit into each other. No metal rods required. In fact some parts weren't even glued.

This will come in white resin. The parts breakdown was the master and was primered to show detail in the photographs. Notice the absence of the clear resin, which wasn't casted yet.

These were stress and heat tested. The radar was left in direct sunlight, two days in a row to see if it would start to droop and it didn't. But as in any case, it all depends in the location and conditions where you store your model.

photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

Ah if that's the case, I may be interested again. I was just overwhelmed with the guide I read which seemed like a lot of work, as well as needing a lot of tools/materials to build a resin kit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...