So, which is better overall? Arcadia YF-19 or Bandai VF-19 Advance

takatoys

Arcadia YF-19 vs. Bandai Vf-19 Advance.  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like most overall?

• Arcadia YF-19
    • Bandai VF-19

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Cool! Would love to see what you come up with.

Dont hold your breath, I'm under no illusion that I can come up with a proper prototype, it would most probably be a virtual model or at best a papercraft project, not to mention it would be take months if not years....

4 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

Mine has the loose ankles too out of the box. It actually facedived once and ended up blunting the nosecone a bit. Never again will I trust it to stand on its own.

How did you fix it? I thought it wasn't possible to  get to that joint without damaging the toy.

35 minutes ago, zzj said:

I have no idea, it wasn't mentioned on mandarake whether it was the re-issue, however jenius mentioned that there was apparently no difference....

I have only transformed it twice so far, I guess time will tell if the ankles will loosen like so many people said.

Once that happened, be sure to check out the Macross Maintenance thread for some ideas how to fix it. There's some fix there posted by anime52k8, ChaoticYeti, and no3Ljm. Wait... that's me. :lol:

For some weird reasons the photos I posted on that thread just shows "?". But when you click it, it will show it properly. Hope that helps.

9 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Once that happened, be sure to check out the Macross Maintenance thread for some ideas how to fix it. There's some fix there posted by anime52k8, ChaoticYeti, and no3Ljm. Wait... that's me. :lol:

For some weird reasons the photos I posted on that thread just shows "?". But when you click it, it will show it properly. Hope that helps.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, zzj said:

Dont hold your breath, I'm under no illusion that I can come up with a proper prototype, it would most probably be a virtual model or at best a papercraft project, not to mention it would be take months if not years....

Haha, I'm sure! Just a render would be cool to see someday

So, as far as the sloppy wing joints go, I think I did figure out that despite all the folding metal bits, the wing pivot actually stays stationary for both normal fighter and battroid mode.  I need to get to work finishing my prototype replacement for that, which would just be a thick plastic plate to replace all the metal, and lock the pivot in one spot.  It wouldn't even be worth going to shapeways for it, you could just print out a pattern and cut it out of plastic card stock.

In theory, you could also keep the high-speed mode position by using a sliding joint, but that's just as iffy as the existing swing arms, if not more so, since it actually would need more parts.

Small update, and I'll post more info in the actual Arcadia YF-19 thread later, but I've got a working prototype of a new wing mounting bracket that'll revert the wings to a single pivot.

For now, it's just a pattern cut out of plastic sheet, and it's both too thin and too weak, so it might need to be made from a proper thickness of metal to be functional in the long term.  It's essentially a bracket in the shape of the collapsed swing bar, with extensions to brace it against the inside of the wing glove so it doesn't rotate.

It works perfectly though, holds the wing just fine in two positions, if a bit sloppily.  I'll refine the pattern some now that I know where I can add reinforcement.

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

Small update, and I'll post more info in the actual Arcadia YF-19 thread later, but I've got a working prototype of a new wing mounting bracket that'll revert the wings to a single pivot.

For now, it's just a pattern cut out of plastic sheet, and it's both too thin and too weak, so it might need to be made from a proper thickness of metal to be functional in the long term.  It's essentially a bracket in the shape of the collapsed swing bar, with extensions to brace it against the inside of the wing glove so it doesn't rotate.

It works perfectly though, holds the wing just fine in two positions, if a bit sloppily.  I'll refine the pattern some now that I know where I can add reinforcement.

Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

I've been tinkering with the side profile of the YF-19 line art today, trying to simplify the steps to the transformation of the torso and this is the very sketchy result...

torso.jpg

Of course this is very very far from something definite, and the presentation is really only meant for my own understanding, but there could actually be something to this. It looks like with some adjustment it may be possible to eliminate a couple of small steps (such as the hip swivel and the fine adjustment to the nose cone for the arcadia) and still maintain, if not slightly improve the battroid proportions.

This will be the last post on my project in this thread, if I decide to pursue this thing I may start another thread in a more appropriate subforum...

• 10 months later...

I only have the bandai, which is a great valk, lots of clever tweaks, great lines and everything is painted. About the advance pack... the boosters fall so easy that it frustrates me.

I prefer yamato / arcadia over bandai. The yf 19 has a gorgeous wingspan, and is bigger. About its defects i only display my valks in fighter so I dont really mind its defects.

Edited by RealJayDee
Accidentally clicked submit the first time

I only have the original Yamato 1/60 YF-19, and the Bandai VF-19Adv, and they are worlds apart. I missed the boat on the Arcadia, and will never have one, unless I can get a reasonable deal (i.e. not spending $1000 or more, so probably never). 

From the reviews, the Bandai has a similar transformation, similar gimmicks, and is comparable in many respects. The Bandai does some things, though, that really impress me. Many of those things are the ones that people seem to gripe about for being fiddly. I actually appreciate that there are mechanisms that allow more line art accuracy from the toy. I also appreciate that there is more of a perfect transformation to the toy, in that there is almost no parts swapping required for it (save the gerwalk neck cover). It also incorporated something that no other transforming 19 toy has had, which is a waist swivel, granted it's limited, but it's there.

That Bandai could bring that level of detail to the toy at 1/60 makes me really hopeful of a toy with similar detail at the 1/85th scale or so that the HMR range is at. I'm really hoping for a YF-19 and YF-21 release in the HMR's, because that would get me collecting those... 

Honestly, this whole thing is very subjective, since I'd put the VF-19Adv as the better overall, considering the detail, articulation, accuracy, and price point.

Detail- The painted on detail is much higher on the Bandai, and is more true to it's representation in its respective anime. 

Articulation- The Arcadia lacks a bit in articulation, as I believe the range of motion on some joints is a scooch more in the bandai, and it has a waist. But, I don't know if that's enough to really call it, so I'd say it's a dead heat. 

Accuracy- Both have more and less than the other in certain areas so we'll call that even.

Price Point- So I'll break this down into two parts. The original Purchase price for the VF-19Adv was lower than the Arcadia's was. That made the VF-19Adv more accessible, which is major point in its favor. By the time the bandai had released, the arcadia had almost doubled in price. The Arcadia is worth more now, commanding prices of ~$1000 while the bandai is only around ~$500. The Arcadia was definitely the better investment. 

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie Driver said:

The Arcadia is worth more now, commanding prices of ~$1000 while the bandai is only around ~$500. The Arcadia was definitely the better investment. 

Let me enable you for a sec, someone's selling his Arcadia 19 for $265 on the for sale/trade subforum.

Which is the lowest I think I've seen one since I snagged mine on sale from HLJ for ¥22,960.

6 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Let me enable you for a sec, someone's selling his Arcadia 19 for $265 on the for sale/trade subforum.

Which is the lowest I think I've seen one since I snagged mine on sale from HLJ for ¥22,960.

Holy Crap! Well, it's a moot point, considering I don't get paid again until the 1st of December...

Just now, Valkyrie Driver said:

Holy Crap! Well, it's a moot point, considering I don't get paid again until the 1st of December...

It's been there for a while, might still be there as of Dec. Also it's the third one I've seen on sale over there for similar prices. Right now seems to be a good time to buy used, I guess everyone is selling to afford all the new stuff.

Just now, Sanity is Optional said:

It's been there for a while, might still be there as of Dec. Also it's the third one I've seen on sale over there for similar prices. Right now seems to be a good time to buy used, I guess everyone is selling to afford all the new stuff.

Fair point. Still, I have other expenses that need to be considered. Especially with the possibility of moving coming up. Need to save up for that. Also I have a car to fix, and some things to pay off with the university...

3 minutes ago, Valkyrie Driver said:

Fair point. Still, I have other expenses that need to be considered. Especially with the possibility of moving coming up. Need to save up for that. Also I have a car to fix, and some things to pay off with the university...

You're in the wrong place if you're talking about responsible spending, here we tempt and enable. :D

Edited by Sanity is Optional

11 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

You're in the wrong place if you're talking about responsible spending, here we tempt and enable. :D

I know, but I always make sure my bills and debts get paid before I go buying any toys...

Not to mention the holiday shopping season coming up... though often times, people use that as an excuse to splurge. :lol:

I'm actually surprised the Arcadia could command such a high price in general, though are these just ebay listings that may not have sold anyway, or are they actual confirmed sales?  Despite the funky wing mechanism, I have to wonder if the Arcadia is more popular because of all the extra weapons packed in that can be used on all the other Yamato/Arcadia valks.

3 hours ago, Valkyrie Driver said:

I only have the original Yamato 1/60 YF-19, and the Bandai VF-19Adv, and they are worlds apart. I missed the boat on the Arcadia, and will never have one, unless I can get a reasonable deal (i.e. not spending $1000 or more, so probably never). 

From the reviews, the Bandai has a similar transformation, similar gimmicks, and is comparable in many respects. The Bandai does some things, though, that really impress me. Many of those things are the ones that people seem to gripe about for being fiddly. I actually appreciate that there are mechanisms that allow more line art accuracy from the toy. I also appreciate that there is more of a perfect transformation to the toy, in that there is almost no parts swapping required for it (save the gerwalk neck cover). It also incorporated something that no other transforming 19 toy has had, which is a waist swivel, granted it's limited, but it's there.

That Bandai could bring that level of detail to the toy at 1/60 makes me really hopeful of a toy with similar detail at the 1/85th scale or so that the HMR range is at. I'm really hoping for a YF-19 and YF-21 release in the HMR's, because that would get me collecting those... 

Honestly, this whole thing is very subjective, since I'd put the VF-19Adv as the better overall, considering the detail, articulation, accuracy, and price point.

Detail- The painted on detail is much higher on the Bandai, and is more true to it's representation in its respective anime. 

Articulation- The Arcadia lacks a bit in articulation, as I believe the range of motion on some joints is a scooch more in the bandai, and it has a waist. But, I don't know if that's enough to really call it, so I'd say it's a dead heat. 

Accuracy- Both have more and less than the other in certain areas so we'll call that even.

Price Point- So I'll break this down into two parts. The original Purchase price for the VF-19Adv was lower than the Arcadia's was. That made the VF-19Adv more accessible, which is major point in its favor. By the time the bandai had released, the arcadia had almost doubled in price. The Arcadia is worth more now, commanding prices of ~$1000 while the bandai is only around ~$500. The Arcadia was definitely the better investment. 

Both are very nice. I guess I will be at peace when i get both... or the three!!

I need that yamato for nostalgia purposes xD

47 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Not to mention the holiday shopping season coming up... though often times, people use that as an excuse to splurge. :lol:

I'm actually surprised the Arcadia could command such a high price in general, though are these just ebay listings that may not have sold anyway, or are they actual confirmed sales?  Despite the funky wing mechanism, I have to wonder if the Arcadia is more popular because of all the extra weapons packed in that can be used on all the other Yamato/Arcadia valks.

I've got the Arcadia, and it's a nice anime-accurate example of the YF-19, transformation is only mildly infuriating, and it looks all kinds of sexy in fighter mode. Compared to the Yamato one, it's got a lot of improvements (ankles aside...), and the Bandai while awesome isn't accurate to Macross Plus. Now if Bandai releases a YF-19, I will be on top of that.

The only real frustrations I've had with my Arcadia 19 are the fast packs and the ankles.

Just sold my 2nd copy of the Arcadia for $240 (without missiles)...I dont see anyone could sell it for $500, let alone $1000. $300-400 on average on ebay, and sold ones were less than $300. Well maybe in 10 years, and if Arcadia went down under, we'll see it soar to $1000+, probably will be a hard sell too since no new anime people can relate it to.

I own both and IMO VF-19 Advance has better engineering, Acadia is more "organic" and closer to lineart while Bandai is more refined and has more "CG" look to it, the side profile of the fighter mode is the best part on the VF-19 Advance, it also doesn't have the drop nose problem with the front landing gear.

13 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

It's what I've seen them listed for, as for some reason I can't seem to view completed sales. Those are also based on the prices I've seen them listed for resale on second hand sites. YMMV. Like I said, I can't speak to the whole veracity of my claims, only what I've seen. 

12 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I've got the Arcadia, and it's a nice anime-accurate example of the YF-19, transformation is only mildly infuriating, and it looks all kinds of sexy in fighter mode. Compared to the Yamato one, it's got a lot of improvements (ankles aside...), and the Bandai while awesome isn't accurate to Macross Plus. Now if Bandai releases a YF-19, I will be on top of that.

The only real frustrations I've had with my Arcadia 19 are the fast packs and the ankles.

Given that the VF-19Adv isn't supposed to be based on the Macross Plus YF-19 exactly, the Bandai does replicate the CG model seen in The Wings of Goodbye, so...

I'd love to add an Arcadia, and heck even an original 1/72 Yamato just for the sake of completeness...