So, which is better overall? Arcadia YF-19 or Bandai VF-19 Advance

takatoys

Arcadia YF-19 vs. Bandai Vf-19 Advance.  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like most overall?

• Arcadia YF-19
    • Bandai VF-19

This is a fascinating read. All of the Arcadia fans are like "I like my Arcadia because..." all of the Bandai one's are like, "Arcadia sucks, Bandai is better, because Arcadia sucks!" It's almost like one side likes their toy and the other is just looking to grind an axe.

This is a fascinating read. All of the Arcadia fans are like "I like my Arcadia because..." all of the Bandai one's are like, "Arcadia sucks, Bandai is better, because Arcadia sucks!" It's almost like one side likes their toy and the other is just looking to grind an axe.

I think you are seeing only what you want to see. I see lots of good lists of pros and cons from people who have both and very little Arcadia bashing 'just because'.

I seem to read a bunch of tampo-angst against the Arcadia.

Not quite sure why tampo is that important all of a sudden even at the exorbitant pricing of Arcadia.

I was thinking the fatty legs and the dorky ankle-joint will take the most and loudest criticism on the YF-19.

Nope. It's the lack of tampo on it.

In contrast, a few owners don't even like the rather ridiculous over-tampo of the Bandai.

oy vey...

I seem to read a bunch of tampo-angst against the Arcadia.

Not quite sure why tampo is that important all of a sudden even at the exorbitant pricing of Arcadia.

I was thinking the fatty legs and the dorky ankle-joint will take the most and loudest criticism on the YF-19.

Nope. It's the lack of tampo on it.

In contrast, a few owners don't even like the rather ridiculous over-tampo of the Bandai.

oy vey...

I like the amount of tampo the VF-19 has, what's there actually seems appropriate, The SMS print opposite the logo is actually reminiscent of the way the USAF used to mark the F-15. But I don't really care about the tampo so much.

I can only go off of my Yamato VF-19F, but as I've said before, everything I can find says the arcadia YF-19 is almost the same basic toy with some slight differences.

The yamarcadia ankles are definitely a point of contention...

Yeah, when i first saw this thread I was shocked that everyone wasn't voting Bandai for no other reason than the ankle joints on the Arcadia. I'm guessing most folks don't use GERWALK mode for the YF-19 (and I don't blame them) so it hasn't been an issue. Also, the Arcadia seems to have much more documented issues with the wings not holding position due to loose high speed mechanisms. I thought that was a one-two punch that would have the Arcadia far behind in this poll... it's been rather interesting see that not be the case.

Yeah, when i first saw this thread I was shocked that everyone wasn't voting Bandai for no other reason than the ankle joints on the Arcadia. I'm guessing most folks don't use GERWALK mode for the YF-19 (and I don't blame them) so it hasn't been an issue. Also, the Arcadia seems to have much more documented issues with the wings not holding position due to loose high speed mechanisms. I thought that was a one-two punch that would have the Arcadia far behind in this poll... it's been rather interesting see that not be the case.

I think that has a lot to do with folks that just don't transform their Arcadia toys often enough to really encounter these issues. That seems to be the trend I've noticed in this thread thus far.

I will readily admit, I like to harp on Bandai because while they do some things very well indeed, I also really dislike some of their past and present design decisions.

I tend to be heavily biased toward Yamato (not necessarily Arcadia though) because of their attitude toward respecting the source material, and actually attempting to pay attention to the little details that aircraft aficionados appreciate. Bandai just isn't very good at that yet, and the few strides they seem to make in that direction appear half-assed to me, like copying markings everywhere without thinking what they say, just to make it look like they put effort into it. It feels a lot like kids in school padding reports with blank space to make them look longer.

That being said, the Arcadia's wing mechanism is pitifully weak compared to the Bandai one. I've tightened them multiple times, and they never seem to stay very long. Bandai definitely has a handle on complex transformation mechanisms.

Edited by Chronocidal

I'm sorry, but this is simply untrue... I'm actualy unsure how you got this perception.

I haven't voted, simply because I only own one and it doesn't seem fair. For the record, it's the Bandai. I couldn't afford the Arcadia when it was released and sure can't now on the secondary market. And after reading about the ankles, I gave up on justifying purchasing (back when it was released originally).

I like the pros and cons people are listing, though.

If I was going to be brutally honest and critical, these two factors alone are the sole reasons I am unable to truly enjoy my Arcadia YF-19 in any mode. Swooshing it around in fighter causes the wings to swing out of place, especially if there are any missiles attached. Then the weak ankle joints can't hold any dynamic poses in Gerwalk or Battroid. I mentioned in another thread how I left it standing upright in Battroid one day and after a short while it fell forward, making a dent on the tip of the nosecone/uniboob. Since then, I have never felt comfortable leaving it standing in Battroid. These would have been less of an issue if it came with a stand, but alas it doesn't. And so my YF-19 just sits there on its landing gear, pretty much untouched. Whenever I get the urge to transform it, I remember it falling down and that keeps me from picking it up.

Other than that, I think my biggest gripe with the Arcadia YF-19 (and this is probably just personal), is that it felt like a step down in engineering compared to the Yamato VF-19. I really liked the engineering on the VF-19 (I still think it's the best from Yamato), and although the YF-19 was based on its design, the areas where the YF-19 differed were just done worse (e.g. how the canards fold in Battroid, how the cockpit opens, those smaller tabs on the hips when swinging the legs up for Battroid, and high-speed mode).

Edited by ArchieNov

I personally think (for owners of Arcadia) that if I paid so much for this, its gotta be better (or at least more valuable). There's no doubt that the Arcadia on the secondary market is holding its value nicely as a collectible. I don't think this is it solely, but may account for some small preference towards Arcadia. I own both (but wished I had waited for only the Bandai now).

Veblen good:

"...A price increase may increase that high status and perception of exclusivity, thereby making the good even more preferable..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

However I'm not an investment collector, I buy ONE of each for myself and I open them as soon as I get them, modify them to my personal liking and play with them any chance I get, transforming them or zooming them around the room :p I have no intentions of ever selling my collection (as long as I'm alive :p) I find I keep picking up my Bandai and playing with it, but with the exception of having to work on my Arcadia for 2wks, I never touch the Arcadia. I may be coloured by the fact that it sat naked in my collection being a huge visual eyesore (IMHO) for 3/4 of a year before I could get around to working on it so that it would at least blend into the rest of my collection.

Oh, I forgot to mention how much I love that Bandai leg gimmick of the folding panels coming out to fill out the leg instead of the Arcadia dents for the arms to fold into.

I wouldn't say Arcadia sucks ever! Just very disappointed for the amount of money I've spent on them - I think my expectations increase proportionally when they increase their price. I think partially also they were new and picked up after Yamato, so I had a lot of expectations riding on them when I originally ordered. I think Bandai did an pretty incredible job where we can even compare a $250 toy with a $400 toy (delivered prices I paid).

300 bucks for a YF-19 with little to no tampo, a bunch of missiles I keep stored, floppy feet ankles despite everybody and their mothers warning Arcadia about it.

200 bucks for YF-19 with a stand, boosters add-ons, a lot of tampo, better locking mechanism and so far no floppiness.

Bandai is the winner for me.

Ironically, I have 3 Arcadias and only 1 Bandai :blink:

I agree with Master Cheng, a lot of times, something being more expensive doesn't make significantly better.

Of course, a lot of us would be happy is Arcadia would just give us those damn waterslide decals! :angry:

Yeah.

The Arcadia YF-19 is just really way stupidly expensive. Which is par for the course since all of Arcadia's valks are way too stupidly expensive than it should be.

I still cannot accept it as a YF-19 since to me it seems like it's just a recolored second-hand/leftover of the shelfwarming Yamato VF-19 mould that is from the fugly fatty/stumpy M7 TV-design instead of the properly sleek and fierce M+ OVA-design. Not much innovation (even ankle fixes) and stuff at all.

Quite a lot of people here still somehow like it despite all the shortcomings of it.

The VF-19Advanced looks a bit aesthetically nicer at first glance, but is obviously gappy in fighter-mode and has issues with the FP. It also seems unnecessarily bow-legged due to that weird thigh-rotation feature.

Ignorance is bliss I only have the Advanced. (Which I love!)

So I have no idea how awesome & better the Arcadia may be ( anyone wanna sell me one ? Hehe)

My Yammy YF & VF are sweet , I imagine the Arcadia is an improvement over the Yammy version. So bloody expensive tho..

Edited by Bolt

There should be an option for "neither" because they are two different aircraft :D

Which one is better overall? The answer is: Whichever you like more.

I just hope the Macross gravy train keeps going, though I wish Bandai would stop Releasing crap for a whileso that I could afford to collect other crap

They are both different takes on how to do what is fundamentally the same source. I like the Pros and Cons we've been seeing. I happen to think that the Bandai is delivering more bang for the buck, though both are far from perfect.

Hands down, the Arcadia...transforming the Bandai was like defusing a bomb.

you think so? I found the Bandai quite straight forward to transform.. well compared to my other Yamato 19F, S, P & Kai as I haven't attempted the Arcadia 19..

In fact I rather liked how well it transformed.

Edited by spanner76

you think so? I found the Bandai quite straight forward to transform.. well compared to my other Yamato 19F, S, P & Kai as I haven't attempted the Arcadia 19..

In fact I rather liked how well it transformed.

Transforming Arcadia is more straight-forward than Bandai, Spanner. Arcadia doesn't have those collapsible thingies that Bandai have. E.g. the folding panels under the chest, and the folding leg covers. And it's more like a puzzle than Arcadia is. ;)

Transforming Arcadia is more straight-forward than Bandai, Spanner. Arcadia doesn't have those collapsible thingies that Bandai have. E.g. the folding panels under the chest, and the folding leg covers. And it's more like a puzzle than Arcadia is. ;)

I will admit the bandai has a pretty involved transformation, but it seems less stressful (lower fear of breakages).

I will admit the bandai has a pretty involved transformation, but it seems less stressful (lower fear of breakages).

I doubt that sir. ;) The first time I started pulling the wing tabs from the legs, I fear of breakage in that early stage of transformation since day one. Imagine, removing the wing tabs from the legs is just part of the first 2 steps. And up to now, I'm really careful on pulling the wing tabs even though I already scrape off little plastics from the tabs. And a little bit of stressful too just to align everything when in fighter mode so that there will be no 'gaps'. :lol:

I agree that the Arcadia one feels way less stressful when transforming. Another area aside from the wing tab that was extremely stressful was transforming the Bandai back into fighter mode. I was constantly thinking about the beige chest flaps (if I flipped them out of the way or not) and I struggled so much the first few times to get the leg tabs into the upper chest slot that I left the Bandai one mid transformation for a few days (on two of the three that I have). I felt that I was 'that' close to breaking them trying to get everything in the leg section to line up for fighter mode.

After reading the previous posts regarding the cons of the Arcadia's YF-19, poll still says Arcadia's has the most vote at 41-36. :ph34r:

Somehow, I'm curious to see who votes on what. :ph34r::lol:

IMO, it doesn't really matter what the poll results say at the end. I'm just glad that based on the comments so far, Bandai has really started to gain the respect/approval from the MW users, and they're being given credit where credit is due.

Prior to the release of the VF-19Advance, a lot of people here still remained skeptical about Bandai's ability to make a great valk toy (even though IMO they already proved themselves worthy starting with the Alto YF-29 and VF-25 Renewal). Some were even hoping that Bandai would eventually lose/give up the Macross license and have Yamato/Arcadia take over/have a monopoly on the 1/60 scale. But now that Bandai has shown that they have advanced to the point where their latest valk is comparable with the best that Yamato/Arcadia has to offer, a lot more people have started to be more confident in Bandai and are even looking forward to the possibility that Bandai do their own versions of fan favorites like the VF-1. :)

Edited by ArchieNov

I have a differing opinion on that.

Maybe it's simply that Arcadia's YF-19 was just way too unjustifiably expensive to procure that perhaps a number of people here went and settled for the Bandai VF-19Advanced just coz it's the only alternative that was significantly cheaper. Not quite sure if most people here would've still gotten the Bandai if it was more expensive than Arcadia's and/ Arcadia's was significantly cheaper than Bandai's.

I'm still surprised at the current polling result that indicates more people think the uber-expensive ankle-issues-laden Arcadia is better overall than the Bandai. Bizarro!

As for respect, most of us know Bandai can make good toys, eg. Soul of Chogokin robots, SHFiguarts, et al.

However, most of us also know and just don't appreciate their various half-ass efforts for their Macross toys specifically. Even this VF-19Advanced had some of that usual shenanigan of half-assing it. Not to mention the preorder-circus that they usually employ with DX-Chogokins Frontier mechas and even their upcoming HM-R's...

Edited by treatment

I have a differing opinion on that.

Maybe it's simply that Arcadia's YF-19 was just way too unjustifiably expensive to procure that perhaps a number of people here went and settled for the Bandai VF-19Advanced just coz it's the only alternative that was significantly cheaper. Not quite sure if most people here would've still gotten the Bandai if it was more expensive than Arcadia's and/ Arcadia's was significantly cheaper than Bandai's.

That is a valid opinion. Although I would think that if that were the main case, then most people would be just saying that Bandai's VF-19 was better simply because it was cheaper. But from most of the comments I've read, people have mentioned several other things other than the price as the reason behind their opinion.

Edited by ArchieNov