Full Metal panic?

fmpfumoffu.jpgadv15.jpg

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu ( フルメタル・パニック?ふもっふ )

Kyoto Animation/Fuji TV/Pony Canyon, 2003

ADV Films, 2005

Directed by Yasuhiro Takemoto (Soul Taker, Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu).

Rated 15+ for violence, nudity, suggestive sexual situations and strong language.

Based on the best-selling manga Full Metal Panic! by Shoji Gato and Shukidoji (published in the US by ADV Manga). It's back-to-school mayhem with Chidori Kaname and her war-freak classmate Sousuke Sagara as they encounter more campus misadventures in this all-new TV series.

Story: A-

When the first series came out, fans of the manga were confused by the appearance of mecha as they practically had nothing to do with the original story. These same fans will be pleased with the fact that Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu is more faithful to the manga's characterizations of Sagara, Kaname, et al. Instead of being a mecha sci-fi, FMP? Fumoffu goes back to basics as a romantic high-school comedy.

Animation: B+

Since there is no mecha action, there is no need for GONZO's (Yukikaze, Kiddy Grade) digital 3D animation. The task of animation has been passed over to Kyoto Animation. While the character designs by Osamu Horiuchi (Last Exile, Knights of Ramune) remains the same, the animation quality is just a few steps below that of the first series.

Soundtrack: B

Toshihiko Sahashi (Full Metal Panic!, The Big O) returns with another soundtrack. Unfortunately, it's pretty generic compared to his other works. On the other hand, we have two more great songs by Mikuni Shimokawa :wub: .

Cast

Reprising their roles are Tomokazu Seki (Van in Escaflowne, Domon in Mobile Fighter G-Gundam) as Sagara, Satsuki Yukino (Kagome in Inu-Yasha, Tina in Ai Yori Aoshi) as Kaname, Ikue Kimura (Ryoko in Samurai Girl Real Bout High School) as Kyoko, and Mamiko Noto (The World of Narue, Kotori in X) as Shinji. Joining the cast are Toshiyuki Morikawa (Aoki in X, Alex in Last Exile) as Atsunobu, Rie Tanaka (Chii in Chobits, Lacus in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED) as Ren, Shiho Kikuchi (Amarone in Vandread, Ayamo in Stratos 4) as Ena, and Tomoko Kaneda (Chiyo in Azumanga Daioh, Renge in Air Master) as Bonta-kun.

The Bottom Line

Fans of the first series might be disappointed by the lack of mecha action. On the other hand, fans of the manga will enjoy the new series even more than the first. Overall Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu is a hoot and a holler.

Links

Fuji TV's Official Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu Homepage (Japanese)

Reference

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

I loved the first season. Rumors were that its going to be a lot more comedy based instead of the previous mix of mech action, drama, and comedy that was in the first season fo Full Metal Panic! . That doesn't really sit to well with me but since the first episode is out subbed(I think)(well the first aired episode) I'll wait till the full thing has been aired and subbed before I decided if I will spend time downloading it.

It better be rumors. FMP has some of the best mech battles in any of the latest animes... I would hate to watch a mechless FMP. <_<

I'll 2nd that.

sweet! I can't wait for this dvd to become R1.

I've always like the non-mecha/non-serious side of FMP-1 and it's a good thing they took it away from this FMP-2.

You know, is it just me or does anyone else think Kaname's too much of Yurika(nadesico)reborn in design?

;P ;P ;P

Edited by treatment

Depends. Some shows are Licensed from the day they are created like Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex. and some times they wait untill the show is complete, sometimes the show will have to air in Japan for some time to prove popularity before they are licensed, and some shows are never licensed like Macross 7. so to answer in short there is no telling.

Edited by Mowgli

The first 7 episodes of Full Metal Panic Season 1 were awesome. Total seriousness, awesome characters, dramatic scenes, it was wonderful. After that, it decided to become like most other shows and started adding in the comedy.

Now.. I like comedy.. But I dont like shows that change the entire feel of themselves after 7 episodes. The entire feel of FMP changed after that 7th episode... And thats why I dont like FMP at all now. It annoys me, I dont like what they did with it...

But I've seen it, so I'll probably stick around and watch season 2, after all, I am a total mecha head so I cant hate it that much ^_^.

-BEN-MAN-

• 2 weeks later...

Seen what's been fansubbed so far. I have to say it's great. It is all high school stuff so far, but well executed. Sousuke in the Bonta-kun constume was funny as hell.

How many episodes are out so far? Has the story gotten serious at any point or is it just Sousuke destorying things from either going overboard or mistaking things? I really hope that isn't all the comedy is based on.

So far, five episodes are available (four mini-episodes running at 12 mins. each and one full episode). As far as I know, Fumoffu won't get serious any time now.

Here's a recap of the first five episodes (WARNING: Minor Spoilers Ahead!):

Episode 1

Sousuke blows up the entire locker room when he detects something suspicious inside his shoe locker. Little does he know that someone in the school admires him and is sending him love letters.

Episode 2

Sousuke borrows Kaname's notes to finish a school assignment. Unfortunately, he forgets it, and they have only one hour to submit their homework.

Episode 3

The whole gang goes to the beach to party. Then things go awry when a rich kid invites Kaname to his hilltop mansion and Sousuke suspects that she's been kidnapped.

Episode 4

Sousuke volunteers as a model for the class' outdoor art project. Unfortunately, he gets the wrong idea of blending with the environment as advised by his art teacher.

Episode 5

Growing tired of Sousuke's antics, Kaname seeks time away from him. On her way to school, she meets up with a former senpai, who later on takes her out on a date to Fumo-Fumo Land.