Arcadia 1/24 Scale Garland

Loop

22 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Have you sen Sentinel's pricing for similar (arguablly lesser) figures? It's likely that their Ride Armor will be more expensive than either Garland. Of course, that wouldn't stop me from buying at least one or two of them. ;)

See? if you end your comment with that, there's no need to answer the question, right? Hehehe. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

The pricing here is disappointing, considering Sentinel's MOSPEADA pricing is coming in well under $200 for pre orders.

Do we know who is behind Arcadia? i thought I'd heard there were rumors of it either being former Beagle folks or former CM's people.

Honestly, I don't get why we are suddenly getting so much attention on Megazone. Kickstarters for new series, and three different companies making overpriced figures... maybe it's just that, while I like it just fine, I prefer BGC and Mospeada by a lot, and only get Megazone as an Aramaki completist.

Not really feeling this release, but if they ARE going to keep coming out with the other Garlands and Hargans then I feel like I'll be kicking myself later if I don't get this one...

23 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

The pricing here is disappointing, considering Sentinel's MOSPEADA pricing is coming in well under $200 for pre orders.

Do we know who is behind Arcadia? i thought I'd heard there were rumors of it either being former Beagle folks or former CM's people.

Honestly, I don't get why we are suddenly getting so much attention on Megazone. Kickstarters for new series, and three different companies making overpriced figures... maybe it's just that, while I like it just fine, I prefer BGC and Mospeada by a lot, and only get Megazone as an Aramaki completist.

Not really feeling this release, but if they ARE going to keep coming out with the other Garlands and Hargans then I feel like I'll be kicking myself later if I don't get this one...

Former Yamato.

If you want to read Mr.K's blog post on why the price increases, here's some existing threads:

http://www.macrossworld.com/why-are-arcadia-products-so-expensive-by-mr-k/

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Former Yamato.

If you want to read Mr.K's blog post on why the price increases, here's some existing threads:

http://www.macrossworld.com/why-are-arcadia-products-so-expensive-by-mr-k/

Thanks again for the link. I read through it, and no real surprises there. I think my question as to pricing (at this point) is: Why is Arcadia so much more expensive than someone like Sentinel? I'm comparing the new MOSPEADA ride armor to the Garland.

Complexity-wise and parts count-wise, they should be similar. This would make me think one of two things (and keep in mind, we're talking about something along the lines of a 60% higher price):

1) Arcadia is just small compared to Sentinel, and so they are going to be ordering fewer of these, or can afford fewer of the up-front manufacturing elements which improve costs over larger quantities.

2) There is a smaller market for the new Garland than for the new MOSPEADA ride armor, thus fewer will be made, thus more expensive per unit.

I don't know which of those it is. As for the first one, Arcadia might be much smaller and less funded than Sentinel. I have no idea, but this seems like a definite possibility.

As for the second one, if there is less of a market for Megazone items than MOSPEADA ones, then why are we seeing 3 companies going in on them simultaneously, as opposed to 1 for MOSPEADA (not counting the still unverified Figma)?

Not criticizing any of this, just genuinely curious (and wishing the Megazone stuff was more affordable).

46 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

Thanks again for the link. I read through it, and no real surprises there. I think my question as to pricing (at this point) is: Why is Arcadia so much more expensive than someone like Sentinel? I'm comparing the new MOSPEADA ride armor to the Garland.

*snip*

Not criticizing any of this, just genuinely curious (and wishing the Megazone stuff was more affordable).

You're welcome sir! And to be honest, I really wish I have some answer to that or I know why. But I think most of us here doesn't know the how's and why's. We are all in limbo. I mean, take also a good look at Evolution Toy for producing the the absurd VF-2SS. I mean the list price of Silvie's is around Y26000+ and that's without the SAP yet. And look how horrible it is. I'm sure some of the factors here are the licensing fees, rights to produce it, the production cost, etc. Which it has been discussed from time to time. 

But in the end, the only way to know the truth is if we have someone who works directly with these companies. But since we don't, it's really a question of do we really need to buy it if it's expensive or not. But one thing for sure, it's just nice knowing that there's companies out there who's willing to invest on this since we don't see Garland toys everyday, right? ^_^

25 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

I'm sure some of the factors here are the licensing fees, rights to produce it, the production cost, etc. Which it has been discussed from time to time. 

I am curious what kind of licensing fees are being paid. I'm sure they've changed over the years as the IP rights have been assigned to different companies, and they probably vary from territory to territory. However, considering that what we are talking about are (currently) defunct shows (with MOSPEADA being the only one that I think is even streaming), you would think that the licensing fees would be reasonable.

15 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

I am curious what kind of licensing fees are being paid. I'm sure they've changed over the years as the IP rights have been assigned to different companies, and they probably vary from territory to territory. However, considering that what we are talking about are (currently) defunct shows (with MOSPEADA being the only one that I think is even streaming), you would think that the licensing fees would be reasonable.

As long that Robotech finds it reasonable, then it's all good. :rolleyes:

Kidding aside, and to be honest, I have less knowledge on IP topics let alone issues with Robotech esp Mospeada is also part of their universe. There's some threads here and there that discusess this kind of topic. i think it would be best to ask that there. ;) 

8 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

As long that Robotech finds it reasonable, then it's all good. :rolleyes:

Kidding aside, and to be honest, I have less knowledge on IP topics let alone issues with Robotech esp Mospeada is also part of their universe. There's some threads here and there that discusess this kind of topic. i think it would be best to ask that there. ;) 

I actually work in IP, which is why this interests me. I've skimmed through other threads where this has come up here and there, but it mostly seems like a lot of folks just kind of doing their best guesses, though it doesn't look like there's much for confirmed info.

14 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

I actually work in IP, which is why this interests me. I've skimmed through other threads where this has come up here and there, but it mostly seems like a lot of folks just kind of doing their best guesses, though it doesn't look like there's much for confirmed info.

That's nice. Maybe you can shed some light on this topic regarding IP. Maybe you can add more info in there regarding IP stuff. ;)

Edited by no3Ljm

22 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

That's nice. Maybe you can shed some light on this topic regarding IP. Maybe you can add more info in there regarding IP stuff. ;)

I'm heading out soon, but will take a closer look over the weekend.

I did come across that thread about a week or two ago, skimmed it really briefly, and put on the youtube video of that one lawyer discussing it in the background while I worked on some other work. It was actually very frustrating to listen to. He was misunderstanding some key things in the filings, and it was clear that his knowledge of IP is very focused on one area (as I recall, he only really does cases where someone is being accused of file sharing copyright protected material). I may be misremembering though.

On 9/30/2017 at 12:17 AM, RavenHawk said:

1) Arcadia is just small compared to Sentinel, and so they are going to be ordering fewer of these, or can afford fewer of the up-front manufacturing elements which improve costs over larger quantities.

2) There is a smaller market for the new Garland than for the new MOSPEADA ride armor, thus fewer will be made, thus more expensive per unit.

I think that makes sense. Arcadia's output is quite small compared to Yamato, and their prices have gone up. I always wanted a smaller high quality Garland, but I dont know if I can pull the trigger at these prices.

There is also the fact that Sentinel is based in Hong Kong. Staffing in Hong Kong would generally be a lot lower than in Japan, plus there is the added bonus of being in proximity to China where the manufacturing facilities are located. So the general overhead for Sentinel would be lower to begin with. Combined with run volumes speculations as discussed above, Sentinel was able to price the ride armor lower.

I don't know how many units Arcadia makes vs. Sentinel on their releases, but according to Sentinel's website, they're also a pretty small outfit with only 9 staff: http://sentinel-toys.com/catalog/info.php?target=company&PHPSESSID=1a52023eea8d797b5aebb7060935fe7c

Edited by locidm

• 2 weeks later...

It looks really good especially the articulated fingers and such, I wished the black wheels were actually rubber and definitely yes, its too expensive for its small size.  I'm going to wait for a few reviews before I think seriously about plunking down that kind of cash for something 16cm long!

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like it's based on the new Megazone 23 XI Anime PV. The figure is a collaboration between Arcadia and Genei. Y90000+ for the figure (Y64584) and the Strike Pack (Y25704). Ouch. :blink:

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-034795

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-034794

IMG_5527.JPG.1cb0cffcc2ecdb111934025938563ab3.JPG

IMG_5528.JPG.bec15bdcb5f756f9ee92b368b76d2399.JPG

Not to mention the new Sakura character figure bundled with the new anime DVD and music CD for Y19224.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-034793

IMG_5529.JPG.09012861165b2cccc71d2609ae01af56.JPG

IMG_5530.JPG.6c4230767025b9e82d0e5a2042b71ef6.JPG

Edited by no3Ljm

2 hours ago, jenius said:

I don't normally shop with amiami, are they a pay up front store?

You pay once the item is in stock. However, I have only ordered regular itens from them so I can’t say for sure that this is true for special releases.

On 11/15/2017 at 6:27 AM, Major Focker said:

image.png.63d3be0aac9d890b944213eb12fbd991.png

I feel like I should really like this color scheme, as I usually tend to, but, somehow... just not doing it for me. Plus, it doesn't look like it comes with a figure.

If it was $120 or so, I'd get it. However, this says 64,584 JPY... so, Google tells me that's $576 USD? That's insane. No way.

(In fairness, almost a decade later, I'm still kind of kicking myself I never picked up the Studio Halfeye Maneuver Blade for $500)

1 hour ago, wm cheng said:

Would be nice to have a Black Friday sale on this puppy... one can dream right?!

Not that it will happen, but that would probably push me over the edge into buying it.