Megahouse TV Ver. SDF-1

wmkjr

Saw all the photos via ameblo link and I noticed there was no thrusters on the feet. Weird. :wacko:

I can't remember, but I thought that's the way it looks. 3 large rectangular sections are the thrusters under each foot.

Edit: for the TV version I mean.

Edited by sharky

I can't remember, but I thought that's the way it looks. 3 large rectangular sections are the thrusters under each foot.

Edit: for the TV version I mean.

That's accurate to the SDFM version.

Thanks guys! ;) I guess, I'm just used on seeing the DYRL version all the time. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys! ;) I guess, I'm just used on seeing the DYRL version all the time. :rolleyes:

I don't blame you for forgetting. It's not like we get a lot of TV SDF-1 toys. It's as though it doesn't exist anymore once the DYRL version was created.

If I'm not mistaken each time a Macross class ship is shown now it's always the DYRL version. In M+, MII, and Frontier.

I don't blame you for forgetting. It's not like we get a lot of TV SDF-1 toys. It's as though it doesn't exist anymore once the DYRL version was created.

If I'm not mistaken each time a Macross class ship is shown now it's always the DYRL version. In M+, MII, and Frontier.

It's weird, right? I remember reading somewhere that Kawamori said that the DYRL movie is made to 're-tell' what happened during the Space War 1 to the 'in-universe characters' in the succeding Macross series. And seeing the DYRL version of the SDF-1 popping in all of the other series makes us wonder what's the real version of the SDF-1 since DYRL is just a retelling of the original series? Henceforth, the succeding series should feature the TV SDF-1 instead, right? :rolleyes:

I mean, this is me talking in reason regarding continuity whereas in my mind, I think the best looking SDF-1 is the DYRL one. ;):lol:

While the differences are a bit more extreme (colors, and shape and all that), I'd kind of chalk that sort of thing up to the idea that it would be easier to make a film using footage of a modern vessel than it would to make a recreation of the original. How many films and TV shows involving aircraft carriers wind up substituting modern footage for a ship of the same basic design that was in service 50 years ago? There's going to be significant differences for the people who know what to look for, but it'll still be a better result than a complete CGI substitute, and the average viewer won't really know the difference.

The original TV SDF-1 was a rebuilt space wreck. After all the work done on it, and with the assistance of the Zentraedi afterward, I don't see why the DYRL version couldn't just be the updated result of a more ideal reconstruction of the same vessel from scratch. It could even be a refit like they did to the Enterprise in the first Star Trek movie. After seeing Frontier, it's clear they made more of those vessels using the DYRL specifications.

Funny to think about, but in-universe, it may even have been the Global that was used to film DYRL. :lol:

Edit: After typing this, I realized, it doesn't really explain the original's appearance in Macross Plus.. but then again, it was nearly destroyed at the end of the TV series, right? Makes sense that it would have been rebuilt to newer specifications, even if it was never intended to launch again.

Edited by Chronocidal

While the differences are a bit more extreme (colors, and shape and all that), I'd kind of chalk that sort of thing up to the idea that it would be easier to make a film using footage of a modern vessel than it would to make a recreation of the original. How many films and TV shows involving aircraft carriers wind up substituting modern footage for a ship of the same basic design that was in service 50 years ago? There's going to be significant differences for the people who know what to look for, but it'll still be a better result than a complete CGI substitute, and the average viewer won't really know the difference.

The original TV SDF-1 was a rebuilt space wreck. After all the work done on it, and with the assistance of the Zentraedi afterward, I don't see why the DYRL version couldn't just be the updated result of a more ideal reconstruction of the same vessel from scratch. It could even be a refit like they did to the Enterprise in the first Star Trek movie. After seeing Frontier, it's clear they made more of those vessels using the DYRL specifications.

Funny to think about, but in-universe, it may even have been the Global that was used to film DYRL. :lol:

Edit: After typing this, I realized, it doesn't really explain the original's appearance in Macross Plus.. but then again, it was nearly destroyed at the end of the TV series, right? Makes sense that it would have been rebuilt to newer specifications, even if it was never intended to launch again.

This theory of the DYRL version being a retrofit of the original makes me like it just slightly more than I used to now.

I pre-ordered one from HLJ.. I know AmiAmi are a bit cheaper but I generally don't buy anything from them anymore..

Yeah, if you are not 100% sure and think you might want to cancel the pre-order for whatever reason HLJ is the way to go. The last time I canceled a pre-order with AmiAmi I was able to by emailing them and making up some lame excuse. They did it, but they did mention doing this too often would result in my account being closed.

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the expected quality of the plastic going to be on this? Would someone familiar with this line give some thoughts?

Good quality? Or cheap and flimsy?

How about asking it at the SBY2199 thread? Many ships have been released and someone might have them.

As far as I saw it, it was not cheap-looking.

• 1 month later...