Macross DYRL? Best Version?

Hi all. Okay. I know I'm going to regret this but I can't find the old thread about the ultimate version of DYRL. I'm curious how I can obtain the best version of the movie with the best subs.

Please go easy on me. I'm old.

Thanks.

:lol:

IIRC, there were a few choices:

• Go with the Blu-ray if you want the Remastered Edition in real HD quality (which looks fantastic) and don't mind the censorship.
  • Search for the Remastered HD Edition DVD in (which is lower quality with higher grain)
  • Search for the Macross DYRL Perfect Edition DVD if you can't stand censorship.

Or get all three, if you are able and so inclined.

Also, late last year there was word of a fan edit to restore the cut violent scenes to the BR version but I'm not sure what became of it.

Edit: Added the Remastered DVD to to the list, which I forgot earlier.

Edited by technoblue

:lol:

IIRC, there are two trains of thought:

• Go with the Blu-ray if you want the remastered HD version (which looks fantastic) and don't mind the censorship.
  • Search for the Macross DYRL Perfect Edition DVD if you can't stand censorship.

Or get both, if you are able and so inclined.

Also, late last year there was word of a fan edit to restore the cut violent scenes to the BR version but I'm not sure what became of it.

Follow-up question. Does the Hybrid Blu-ray release have English sub? And is the Perfect Edition is only available in DVD format and has English subs?

So, which is the best DYRL release that has good english sub which doesn't have the censorship? Sorry if this is asked before. But the only copy I have is a direct laser disc betamax copy way back in the 80's. ;)

Thanks.

Follow-up question. Does the Hybrid Blu-ray release have English sub? And is the Perfect Edition is only available in DVD format and has English subs?

So, which is the best DYRL release that has good english sub which doesn't have the censorship? Sorry if this is asked before. But the only copy I have is a direct laser disc betamax copy way back in the 80's. ;)

Thanks.

Sadly, no. None of the releases listed comes packaged with English subs.

Luckily, a forum member here on Macross World created a step-by-step tutorial for adding English subtitles to the original DVDs:

The subtitle links in those threads should still work. If you have problems downloading them, let me know as I should still have local copies backed up here at home. I was able to follow these instructions a while ago to add subs to my DYRL Perfect Edition DVD. IMO, this is probably the best version of what was before the changes that were made to the Remastered HD version. Being able to add subtitles is a nice bonus.

That said, I also love Macross in HD. And I do have a copy of DYRL Remastered on Blu-ray (I skipped the DVD Remastered HD release). These subtitles are not timed correctly for the HD Remaster, and they are not scaled properly to the Blu-ray version. Making them compatible will take a little more work. I don't know if anyone has tackled it yet.

Edited by technoblue

I'm still watching for that on another forum. We'll see how it turns out.

I'm still watching for that on another forum. We'll see how it turns out.

Yeah. It looked promising.

Hmm, the version I have, which I believe is the perfect version DVD, does have English subtitles.

This is the one:

<snip>

That appears to be a bootleg. The back cover of official Region 2 DYRL (Bandai/Emotion) Perfect Edition DVD can be seen right here on Macross World:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/video/_video_dvd.htm

dyrl-2.jpg

Edited by technoblue

Hmm, very interesting. I just checked my DVD cover and it's not exactly the same as either of those images.

Either way, I'm happy with it, DVD quality, English subs, that's about all I ask for.

Right. If it works and you are happy, then that's good.

The official DVDs are long out of print, so I'm not sure how easy they are to find on a site like Amazon or Ebay today. It may be better to look on Japanese sites and auction venues if getting those DVDs is important, and then there is the business of adding subtitles which I already noted.

The official Blu-ray may be easier to find, but it has its own issues.

I wish I knew how to add soft subtitles to my Hybrid DYRL BD set.

These are the options that I know of:

1. Create an .mkv file with a tool like Handbrake. Add subs to the .mkv if you want or, if your Blu-ray player supports it, you can keep the subtitle file separate.
  2. You can rip the Blu-ray disc and generate an ISO image. With this image, you can load external softsubs using media players like MPC-HC or VLC.

It shouldn't matter what format the subs are in, or whether or not they are softsubs. Both of these methods will allow you to get external subtitles working, and you can store the shiny disc in a safe place when you are done building your file.

Edited by technoblue

• 3 years later...

The "Uncensored"  BD version  floors the "unofficial" HK DYRL sub DVD by Animeking. The scratchy fine art of 1984 Haruhiko Mikimoto has a certain beauty that CGI art of the BD Macross pachinko music videos can NEVER match. The DVD, even with  upscaling player features still looks smudgy. The BD images looks exactly like the images on the BD case, heck, much much clearer than the pictures on the case.

It really holds out on its own comparing the quality visuals of these era's sterile CGI graphics.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2019 at 9:01 AM, isamu said:

Hi guys. Is there any news of a 4K BD release of DYRL on the horizon any time soon? What resolution is the existing current Bluray release?

The current blu-ray is already blurry.

Is there any point going 4K for anime?

48 minutes ago, nhyone said:

Since everything's digitally-animated these days, I dunno... maybe they can re-render stuff in 4K the way they'd do a new transfer from original reels.

On 12/3/2019 at 9:55 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Since everything's digitally-animated these days, I dunno... maybe they can re-render stuff in 4K the way they'd do a new transfer from original reels.

For digital stuff, only if they re-render and not merely upscale. That might be enough for me to double-dip some Pixar movies.

For older stuff, even for Studio Ghibli movies and DYRL, I think 1080p is enough. But then I don't have a 65" TV.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2019 at 8:06 PM, nhyone said:

I think it depends on the source material.

In the case of DYRL, going to higher resolutions is likely to only exaggerate the out-of-focus shots throughout the movie.

For a more modern production like Frontier, if they could re-render at 4K, it could look really nice.