What's next for Bandai? (Wish List)

ArchieNov

On the other extreme end of the spectrum, i would really like to see HMR take on MFrontier...

Seeing how more complicated Frontier's valk transformations are tho, that might bump up the cost significantly.

A nice excuse for bandai to push the HMR pricing level, if so.

And on the super extreme end of things, maybe moving controlled destroids....? Dammit bandai, so many good ideas to push macross merch....

Spoiler

Edited by seti88

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Bandai where's my 1/48 Q-Rau with articulated Miria pilot figure?

10 hours ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

Finish the HMR Destroids and enemy mecha, like the Regult Scout, Nousjadeul Ger and Queadluun Rau (both TV and DYRL?).

OOOooooooohh.......These two, please!!!

12 hours ago, Podtastic said:

How many valkyries is enough Bandai? 

How many more years must we wait for our beloved SDFM and DYRL Zentraedi mecha? 

Honestly saying I'm getting tired of the DX VF-1 and now waiting for a DX YF-21/HMR Zentradi mecha pre-order drop.

16 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Bandai where's my 1/48 Q-Rau with articulated Miria pilot figure?

14 hours ago, mantisfists said:

OOOooooooohh.......These two, please!!!

+3 

Hell... We need a tumbleweed emogi here. 

It seems like bandai has given up on the HMR line, knowing that their dx line is giving us collectors a hard time. And they enjoy seeing us having PO nightmare. I think that's what they want to do, that is to make our collection look incomplete.

Edited by Toonz

Maybe it's because I haven't seen much past Macross Zero (I found the Ex-Gear from Frontier off-putting and kinda checked out after that), but I'm still a VF-1 guy.  I quit collecting around the time Yamato went from 1/48 back to 1/60 (because I didn't want to collect them all a third time), but of course, that was when they finally made up their mind and released everything up to and including Brownie J models and a Virgin Road VF-1D.  

So, for me?  Every flavor of VF-1 getting the DX treatment would be fine...I don't mind re-releases as long as they don't render my initial purchase of a version a stupid decision (e.g. Yamato's entire 1/60 version 1 line).  

1 hour ago, Podtastic said:

If they keep releasing the same-old-same-old valkyrie isn't that inevitable? 

I wish they would take DX to a higher level and do a Quaedluun-Rau. 

Well, it's all relative...but I was speaking in terms of "DYRL Roy VF-1S v3" (for example - like we saw in the Yamato days) where we finally worked all of the design bugs out.  Where variants and paint changes for VF-1s in general are concerned, I say bring 'em on.   With that in mind, whether or not any of these are pipe dreams, I'd probably get them: 

• DYRL VF-1A Max
  • DYRL VF-1S Max
  • DYRL VF-1S Roy
  • DYRL VT-1
  • DYRL VE-1
  • VF-1J Max (w/ SP)
  • VF-1J Milia (w/ SP)
  • VF-1A Production (CF)
  • SDFM (TV) VF-1A Kakizaki
  • VF-1J Production (CF)
  • VF-1D
  • VF-1D Virgin Road (Max's J scheme)
  • VF-1A Angel Birds
  • I'd like to see at least one canon scheme we've not seen before (not counting custom mods) - maybe Alaska Base
  • whatever other scheme you might want to throw in there that's not Skull Squadron
  • Hikaru's Fan Racer
  • Minmay/Hikaru's Fan Liner ("Miss Macross" prize)
  • ES-11D Cat's Eye
  • VC-33 Mom's Kitchen
  • any Zentran specimen that isn't prohibitively ridiculous to produce...1 really big Regult or something maybe

Edited by Draykov
grammatical correction

40 minutes ago, Draykov said:

I don't mind re-releases as long as they don't render my initial purchase of a version a stupid decision (e.g. Yamato's entire 1/60 version 1 line).  

Re-releases don't render previous purchases any less legitimate, whether it's Arcadia reissuing Yamato molds (at significantly greater expense) or "Premium Finish" variants (at an even greater expense); minor improvements aside, it's still the same toy, and the upgraded versions usually cost more than the originals did anyway.

However, when the same company produces a completely redesigned toy at the same scale as their previous series -- like Yamato's 1:60 v.2 line, or Bandai's VF-25 Renewal series -- it's certainly more galling.  You're stuck with a whole line of inferior toys (that can only be sold at a significant loss), and the cost of replacing them all is daunting.

Nonetheless, your initial purchase of Yamato's 1:60 v.1 line was not a stupid decision.  At the time of their release, they were a significant improvement over the old 1:55 Valkyries, and they produced variants like the VF-1D that Bandai had ignored.  They were the best VF-1 toys for their time, and cost less than vintage "Chunky Monkeys" went for on the secondary market, so there's no need to regret buying them... 

...unless you'd bought them as an investment.  :unsure:

The situation is far worse for Star Wars, Marvel, or Transformers collectors, whose core characters receive upgraded toys at least once a year.  Earthrise Optimus is an improvement over Siege Optimus, which was an improvement over the Power of the Primes Optimus, which was an improvement over Combiner Wars Optimus; Endgame Captain America is an improvement over Infinity Wars Cap, which was an improvement over Civil War Cap, which was an improvement over Age of Ultron Cap, etc. etc.

5 minutes ago, Draykov said:

I was speaking in terms of "DYRL Roy VF-1S v3" (for example - like we saw in the Yamato days) where we finally got all the bugs out (as opposed to variants and paint changes for VF-1s in general). 

When minor fixes and upgrades are applied to reissued figures that sell for the same price the originals sold for, it can make your initial purchase feel like a stupid decision, sure.  :vava:

The moral of the story is, "Enjoy your toys when they're the newest and best, or don't buy them at all; either way, there's always a better version coming soon."  :p

15 minutes ago, tekering said:

Nonetheless, your initial purchase of Yamato's 1:60 v.1 line was not a stupid decision.  At the time of their release, they were a significant improvement over the old 1:55 Valkyries, and they produced variants like the VF-1D that Bandai had ignored.  They were the best VF-1 toys for their time, and cost less than vintage "Chunky Monkeys" went for on the secondary market, so there's no need to regret buying them... 

...unless you'd bought them as an investment.  :unsure:

No, I buy them to enjoy them as a collector...and at the time, the 1/60 version 1s blew my mind.  However, hindsight being what it is, I would have waited or at least been a bit more selective about what I added to my collection.  And sure, you can speculate that "if this/then that" in terms of how long it took Yamato to peak and go under and how collectors' purchasing may have influenced that if XYZ...but I'm just speaking from a purely selfish perspective.   The 1/60 scale version of the 1/48 design was leaps and bounds beyond the 1/60 v1 line and Yamato abandoned releasing additional VF-1 variants in 1/48 (like the VF-1D) in favor of doing it alllll over again and then some in 1/60.  And I know the whole action figure/toy industry is pretty jacked right now for collectors of all kinds of different properties.  Just thinking wishfully in the wish list thread.  :D

Edited by Draykov

There's always going to be something better later on down the line, whether it's valkyries or game consoles or cars or whatever. Unless they simply stop making valkyries altogther and we go back to the days of $1000 for a 1/55 chunky. Who the hell wants that?

At some point you just have to jump in and enjoy. If the toys you bought gave you fun and enjoyment, then it wasn't a waste, no matter what comes out later.

6 hours ago, seti88 said:

Since this is a wishlist, i wouldnt mind if there were a few more valks from M2.

Not my fav macross series by far, but there are interesting valks..

colorcode-va1ss.thumb.gif.572b81b7dbae4ee846b38a37cb79c7c5.gif

Add the VF-2JA to that list along with the VF-XX.  I would also like to add my vote for Hi-Metal R Macross Frontier Mecha, give me a VF-25 and VF-27, please

7 hours ago, Lolicon said:

There's always going to be something better later on down the line, whether it's valkyries or game consoles or cars or whatever.

And things that were only dreams back in the day are becoming reality today (Endoskeleton articulated figures for example).

A Regult that can fit a fully articulated amoured Zentraedi pilot would be a major upgrade. The tech required for us to receive such wonders is no longer the problem, now the only stumbling block is the consumers themselves.

And I'd just have to purchase it even if I currently feel that I am done with standard Regults.

Edited by Podtastic

3 minutes ago, mantisfists said:

I beg to differ, sir.  52 years down the line, and there's still nothing better than a '69 Boss 429.

1969-Ford-Boss-429-Mustang-By-Classic-Recreations-0-Hero-1087x725.thumb.jpeg.316659e528cdfa7c60ef5b10f1d516d9.jpeg

That's not a 69 BOSS 429. That is a $250K+ car built with modern-ish technology that looks like a BOSS 429. Have you driven a 69' BOSS 429? I have, They're slow, they don't turn, they don't stop and they are generally horrible to live with. That one in that pic is not much better. It would absolutely get slaughtered by a modern GT350 in every measure of performance and the GT350 is really nice to live with. I won't even bring the GT500 up.;)

I sponsor a car that does (and wins) some of the Optima Street Car Shootout events. There is a sea of cars like the one in the pic above. HUGE money operations. $1M double stacker race rigs, $1M RV's, etc. They consistently finish behind modern cars with way way way less time, money and effort into them.

Looks really cool though.:wub:

18 minutes ago, sqidd said:

That's not a 69 BOSS 429. That is a $250K+ car built with modern-ish technology that looks like a BOSS 429. Have you driven a 69' BOSS 429? I have, They're slow, they don't turn, they don't stop and they are generally horrible to live with. That one in that pic is not much better. It would absolutely get slaughtered by a modern GT350 in every measure of performance and the GT350 is really nice to live with. I won't even bring the GT500 up.;)

I sponsor a car that does (and wins) some of the Optima Street Car Shootout events. There is a sea of cars like the one in the pic above. HUGE money operations. $1M double stacker race rigs, $1M RV's, etc. They consistently finish behind modern cars with way way way less time, money and effort into them.

Looks really cool though.:wub:

Hahahaha!! I know that pic's of a restomod. I put it up because it was beautiful. Should have known somebody would call me out on it.  You and I are from different worlds, my friend.  I live on the streets, so to me a perfect car is rough and angry and heavy.  It smells like old leather, oil and exhaust and has no power steering.  It shakes and rattles you at every stoplight and the back end wants to kick out on you every turn you hit the tiniest bump in. I want my wife to hate being in it in any way, but be struck by how hot she is when she drives away in it. Sadly, I'll never be able to afford a true 429.  The GT500 was always my dream car, anyway.  I was lucky enough to grab a 13 GT500 and I absolutely love it.  It's not the classic version but I needed something to reliably get me to work and back and the new (at the time) version was unassuming enough for me to be able to justify parking at a firehouse.

Edited by mantisfists

1 minute ago, mantisfists said:

Hahahaha!! I know that pic's of a restomod. I put it up because it was beautiful. Should have known somebody would call me out on it.  You and I are from different worlds, my friend.  I live on the streets, so to me a perfect car is rough and angry and heavy.  It smells like old leather, oil and exhaust and has no power steering.  It shakes and rattles you at every stoplight and the back end wants to kick out on you every turn you hit the tiniest bump in. I want my wife to hate being in it in any way, but be struck by how hot she is when she drives away in it. Sadly, I'll never be able to afford a true 429.  The GT500 was always my dream car, anyway.  I was lucky enough to grab a 13 GT500 and I absolutely love it.  It's not the classic version but I needed something to reliably get me to work and back and the new (at the time) version was unassuming enough for me to be able to justify parking it at a firehouse.

You're GT500 is a pretty tough customer (I've had a couple)! Lot's of power, kinda drives like crap. But reliable in a modern car kind of way. I must be getting old. I wouldn't be interested in a 13-14' GT500 anymore. So a personal preference kind of thing. There was a time when I loved all of the things you love. Unfortunately/Fortunately those days are behind me. My current dream car is a Mercedes Benz SLS AMG. My buddy just got one (he has one of everything the bastard) and out of all of the cars in that $150-500K range that is the one I like to drive the most. Still a muscle car. But sexy!

My 2007 S197 (since sold). 1056rwhp, a nasty, nasty roadrace suspension and brakes, etc. It ran the standing mile in 100% street trim at 207mph. With some gearing and taping up the front end/running an sir dam I think it would have gone 220. Needless to say it was a fire breathing monster.:p

IMG_0113.thumb.JPG.7eae3d050426a424ecd85cd890967672.JPG

45 minutes ago, sqidd said:

You're GT500 is a pretty tough customer (I've had a couple)! Lot's of power, kinda drives like crap. But reliable in a modern car kind of way. I must be getting old. I wouldn't be interested in a 13-14' GT500 anymore. So a personal preference kind of thing. There was a time when I loved all of the things you love. Unfortunately/Fortunately those days are behind me. My current dream car is a Mercedes Benz SLS AMG. My buddy just got one (he has one of everything the bastard) and out of all of the cars in that $150-500K range that is the one I like to drive the most. Still a muscle car. But sexy!

My 2007 S197 (since sold). 1056rwhp, a nasty, nasty roadrace suspension and brakes, etc. It ran the standing mile in 100% street trim at 207mph. With some gearing and taping up the front end/running an sir dam I think it would have gone 220. Needless to say it was a fire breathing monster.:p

IMG_0113.thumb.JPG.7eae3d050426a424ecd85cd890967672.JPG

Yeah, I always felt like muscle cars were SUPPOSED to kind of drive like sh*t.  That was part of their "charm".  My wife hates riding in my car, but hot DAMN does she look great when she drives off in it.  I thought about trading mine in and getting one of the new GT500s, but they've kind of lost the muscle car vibe (I'm saying this, without having driven one).  The 13s were the last of the true muscle ponies and the last that Shelby had a hand (small as it was, at that point) in designing.  I don't take many pictures, but here's a pic  my wife sent me when I bought it  I found from the dealer when I bought it.  Editied the other pic out because I posted it without asking my wife if she was cool with it.  I'm such an idiot.

kw_800.thumb.jpeg.fab95b004e7497fb1f4715f79afe13aa.jpeg

I was always dead set against all the Euro sports cars until it was time to get my wife a new car.  My wife wanted an X5, so we test drove the M.  Oh. My. God.  There's no way a 5k lb vehicle should move like that.  I'm so blessed in now, no matter what vehicle I get in/on, I get a completely different, amazing drive/ride and think to myself "Man, I gotta ride/drive this more!"

....and I love what every dumb kid growing up in my neighborhood loved.  Going fast, guns, kung fu movies and  transforming robots.....with guns.  I ask you, what's not to love?

Edited by mantisfists

4 hours ago, sqidd said:

My current dream car is a Mercedes Benz SLS AMG

+1 for quality brand

I was in an accident in a Mercedes Benz A class once.  The car was totally smashed but I walked out (more accurately climbed out as it was over on its side having rolled multiple times) without a scratch. They told me that if it had been another (cheaper) brand I probably would not have survived. 

Edited by Podtastic