Box Collection Display\Storage

dapro

Has it been asked how heat and humidity affect boxes? What about cold? What if they were to be stored outside in a shed? I've got no more room in the house and the sheds are the last bastion of storage area for me. Thoughts on storing them there?

I would think excessive humidity would be bad for any kind of paper-based product. I wouldn't store anything paper or wood-based that was valuable in a shed unless I knew it was sealed and reasonably consistent in temperature and humidity. There's too much risk of mold, mildew, insects, water, and other bad things getting in. Having said all of that, if kept dry and away from insects and sunlight, cold temperatures shouldn't affect things too much, and in fact might help preserve them better than hot temperatures.

My place has the A/C running a good 50% of the time (running mostly dehumidifier mode) in an effort to keep moisture levels under control and I still have half a dozen or so moisture collectors in the wardrobe where all the boxes are stored and the collectors fill up and need replacing every 2 to 3 months! We've had a load more rain this year too which hasn't helped either.. So far so good as all the boxes don't show any signs of moisture damage.

Storing stuff in an outdoor shed wouldn't be a good idea either unless you managed to completely water and air seal it with a A/C running. With my shed I went through and sealed it up the best I could but I still get condensation on my bike and stuff especially when its very cold and raining.

Edited by spanner76

• 6 years later...