Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Cmon Ron Howard... Direct a solo movie worthy of an oscar! Lol....

and yes I get the nuance of how the academy views sci-fi....

 

Edited by seti88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Cmon Ron Howard... Direct a solo movie worthy of an oscar! Lol....

and yes I get the nuance of how the academy views sci-fi....

 

Wouldn't that be something...:)

-b.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Ron's pedigree and experience, i hope he will at least "try" to make something out of it, instead of being an obvious money grab by the powers that be using ron's star power to bring in the ticket sales.. 


An absorbing film worthy of praise? Now that would be something....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

has there been ANY word trailer-wise for this film?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

And given how TLJ has been received by some fans I suspect that Disney may be more conservative with story telling or with the latitude they allow writers and directors. Meaning new movies (not currently in production) would be more vanilla and by-the-book.

 

Hasn't Disney already been doing that?

SW7 is essentially SW4.  They fired the directors of both this Han Solo movie AND SW9, because the directors' visions didn't match with their own.

I'd like to say that Rogue One is the exception, but even that is loaded with SW vanilla (in different words: SW nostalgia)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sketchley said:

Hasn't Disney already been doing that?

SW7 is essentially SW4.  They fired the directors of both this Han Solo movie AND SW9, because the directors' visions didn't match with their own.

I'd like to say that Rogue One is the exception, but even that is loaded with SW vanilla (in different words: SW nostalgia)...

No sir, I would say that as a whole they have not. From what I gather a lot of what has some fans upset re: TLJ is the liberties Rian took with the mythos. Especially as it relates to certain character traits, abilities/usage of the Force and the overall state of affairs in the Star Wars universe.

So they've created a sandbox and said "creators" you must stay within these boundaries, but while there we (Disney) are going to allow some creative license.

It's a fair bet that will be the case with Solo and any other stand-alone SW film, again unless their bottom line becomes negatively impacted.

-b.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a difference between taking liberties with the mythos, and making the characters all dumber than a sack of rocks.  Sure, people change over time, but the fact that it seemed every single one of the characters must have forgotten every single basic tactic employed by their predecessors in the OT is a special kind of idiocy.

I can deal with some changes to the universe, but they need to make sure the writing still tells a coherent story, and the characters don't stumble their way through the entire plot like some Mr. Magoo sequence, surviving only out of sheer dumb luck, despite making all the worst decisions imaginable (the nonsense factory scene and the wacky adventures of Artoo and Threepio in AOTC reeked of this as well). 

Han and Lando thrived on lucky breaks, and they made their share of dumb choices, but they also were fully aware of how crazy they sounded, and generally had the skills to back up their gambles.  If they can keep the writing up to par, characters in character, and not have the plot driven by a flaming jalopy of a plot device, I think it'll have a decent chance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

There's a difference between taking liberties with the mythos, and making the characters all dumber than a sack of rocks.  Sure, people change over time, but the fact that it seemed every single one of the characters must have forgotten every single basic tactic employed by their predecessors in the OT is a special kind of idiocy.

I can deal with some changes to the universe, but they need to make sure the writing still tells a coherent story, and the characters don't stumble their way through the entire plot like some Mr. Magoo sequence, surviving only out of sheer dumb luck, despite making all the worst decisions imaginable (the nonsense factory scene and the wacky adventures of Artoo and Threepio in AOTC reeked of this as well). 

Han and Lando thrived on lucky breaks, and they made their share of dumb choices, but they also were fully aware of how crazy they sounded, and generally had the skills to back up their gambles.  If they can keep the writing up to par, characters in character, and not have the plot driven by a flaming jalopy of a plot device, I think it'll have a decent chance.

Cool, cool.

I don't want to rehash the arguments around TLJ here, I'll just say that we are in agreement in that we both hope for a good movie in the stand-alone Solo entry.

-b.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the tone of this movie will be like Guardians of the Galaxy.  Looks kind of like Chewbacca is with young Starlord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disney’s gonna bleed this dry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

I wonder if the tone of this movie will be like Guardians of the Galaxy.  Looks kind of like Chewbacca is with young Starlord.

Trying to wrap my head around whether that would be a good thing or not. I think there will and should be some humor, but I'm on the fence on just how much is too much.

22 minutes ago, UN Spacy said:

Disney’s gonna bleed this dry.

Very likely, it all depends on if/when audience fatigue sets in.

-b.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While we have yet to see what the final "original" Falcon will look like, I personally think whoever made this kit nailed it right on the head in terms of what a "stock" YT freighter should look like. About the only thing I'd do differently is remove the visible panel lines for the rectenna mount and the opening on the opposite side of the jaw box. Other than that it's perfect!687474703a2f2f693437342e70686f746f6275636b65742e636f6d2f616c62756d732f72723130342f4841434b434f52452d2f59542d313330302f312e6a7067.jpeg.7f6d5d7b4bc4435354ec7227ac7f4f64.jpeg687474703a2f2f693437342e70686f746f6275636b65742e636f6d2f616c62756d732f72723130342f4841434b434f52452d2f59542d313330302f352e6a7067.jpeg.8a222dbe21017f79ef8560bc02bcbac9.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^That's pretty damn cool.

And I love how the Falcon is still one of best looking ships in all of Sci Fi.

-b.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Cool, cool.

I don't want to rehash the arguments around TLJ here, I'll just say that we are in agreement in that we both hope for a good movie in the stand-alone Solo entry.

-b.

Sorry, yeah, I didn't mean to drag that in here, but got my topics crossed a bit.

I really am just hoping they nail the characters and we wind up with a fun movie.  I think I'd be perfectly happy if we wound up with something like GotG.  Heck, swap out the soundtrack and replace the infinity stone with some jedi relic, and you're 90% there.  ^_^ 

Edited by Chronocidal
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Sorry, yeah, I didn't mean to drag that in here, but got my topics crossed a bit.

I really am just hoping they nail the characters and we wind up with a fun movie.  I think I'd be perfectly happy if we wound up with something like GotG.  Heck, swap out the soundtrack and replace the infinity stone with some jedi relic, and you're 90% there.  ^_^ 

All good!

A fun movie would be a nice change of pace, Rogue One was pretty harsh, even with the underlying theme of "hope".

Ron Howard garners a lot of good faith, and rightfully so, I'm very nervous and cautiously optimistic that he'll deliver a movie that is universally accepted. I think Disney's Star Wars could use a clear "win". :lol:

-b.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2017 at 1:51 PM, captain america said:

While we have yet to see what the final "original" Falcon will look like, I personally think whoever made this kit nailed it right on the head in terms of what a "stock" YT freighter should look like. About the only thing I'd do differently is remove the visible panel lines for the rectenna mount and the opening on the opposite side of the jaw box. Other than that it's perfect!687474703a2f2f693437342e70686f746f6275636b65742e636f6d2f616c62756d732f72723130342f4841434b434f52452d2f59542d313330302f312e6a7067.jpeg.7f6d5d7b4bc4435354ec7227ac7f4f64.jpeg687474703a2f2f693437342e70686f746f6275636b65742e636f6d2f616c62756d732f72723130342f4841434b434f52452d2f59542d313330302f352e6a7067.jpeg.8a222dbe21017f79ef8560bc02bcbac9.jpeg

That’s pretty nice. I agree with the removal of the panel lines for the the dish and the opposite side ones. I would also add, maybe doing something different with the  “gunless” wells. Maybe make them dorsal and ventral docking ports or something. 

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2017 at 6:02 AM, IXTL said:

1514527470614.jpg

Those are some big sock straps.

 

Sooo........ does the grey stripe turn red later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could just be his style? I used to wear exclusively cargo pants in my 20’s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Making Han like Starlord would be a huge mistake.  He's funny but he isn't a clown.  As a matter of fact in the entire original trilogy nobody acts like a fool or a clown, the humor is natural from the dialog/situation.  Everything since then has either been forced or embarassingly unintentional.

Edited by Mommar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mommar said:

Making Han like Starlord would be a huge mistake.  He's funny but he isn't a clown.  As a matter of fact in the entire original trilogy nobody acts like a fool or a clown, the humor is natural from the dialog/situation.  Everything since then has either been forced or embarassingly unintentional.

I agree, that’s why the Marvel movies, FOR ME, are becoming tiresome.

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mommar said:

Making Han like Starlord would be a huge mistake.  He's funny but he isn't a clown.  As a matter of fact in the entire original trilogy nobody acts like a fool or a clown, the humor is natural from the dialog/situation.  Everything since then has either been forced or embarassingly unintentional.

Oh, completely.  I don't mind them showing him being a little naïve to start out, but not nearly so reckless or goofy.

Mostly all I mean is that GotG Vol.1's overall plot and action sequences (the serious ones) felt a lot more like Star Wars than most of the recent Star Wars movies have.  The aerial battle over Xandar was the most satisfying science fiction battle sequence I'd seen in a really long time, easily up there with the best of the original trilogy or prequels, and more emotional impact than any of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The film is released in May but no trailer yet? We typically see a Star Wars film teaser close to a year before it's release. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

The film is released in May but no trailer yet? We typically see a Star Wars film teaser close to a year before it's release. 

Yes, but there are a couple of things to consider:

- still in the release cycle of SW8

- the troubled development of the film

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tekering said:

It's also likely that Disney wants to lock down the edit before releasing trailers, so we don't end up with another Rogue One trailer fiasco:

https://www.inverse.com/article/25246-rogue-one-trailer-scenes-missing-from-final-film-star-wars

I wouldn't quite call that a fiasco.  It's nothing like, say, the epic space Battle Of Tannhauser Gate, which briefly appears in the TV spots for "Soldier", and doesn't appear at all in the theatrical release (I don't think it was even mentioned in dialogue...).

I give Rogue One a pass on the differences simply because they filmed two alternate endings (something that's not uncommon with movies): the happy ending (everyone lives, what we saw in the trailer), and the unhappy ending (what we saw in the theatrical release).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sketchley said:

I wouldn't quite call that a fiasco.  It's nothing like, say, the epic space Battle Of Tannhauser Gate, which briefly appears in the TV spots for "Soldier", and doesn't appear at all in the theatrical release (I don't think it was even mentioned in dialogue...).

I give Rogue One a pass on the differences simply because they filmed two alternate endings (something that's not uncommon with movies): the happy ending (everyone lives, what we saw in the trailer), and the unhappy ending (what we saw in the theatrical release).

The only mention Tannhauser gate got was when Soldier was unconscious and the doctor was reading the names off his tattoos and made it clear they were in reference to battles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

The only mention Tannhauser gate got was when Soldier was unconscious and the doctor was reading the names off his tattoos and made it clear they were in reference to battles.

You have a much better memory than I do of that movie!  :lol:

 

Nevertheless, "Soldier" cemented itself as my low bar - when it comes to what's depicted in a movie trailer, and what isn't in the film.  While the trailer for "Rogue One" had differing shots, the epic battle on a tropical island that the trailer promised was still in the film. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×