Just came home from the cinema. I thought it was good. Way better than The Last Jedi (even if that doesn't actually say much), but maybe not quite as enjoyable as Rogue One was too me. The biggest flaw I could find is that I think the climax could have been bigger in scale and scope, but maybe I'm just spoiled by Rogue One's epic Battle of Scarif. Then one could get fixed on that they guy playing Han is not the best fit, but I thought he did an okay job at least and I decided to just not think about it.

There were quite a few fun references for the fans to pick up on throughout the movie, but it was overall more subtle than in Rogue One. But I think a lot of casual fans will be very confused over one specific extended cameo near the end of the movie.

12 hours ago, sh9000 said:

I think I’ll wait for this to be online or on blu-ray instead.

Reveal hidden contents

0B9CBF15-A93D-4402-9776-9761E1E3329F.thumb.jpeg.46e0fe3e1644c34911838f09c4cf1b73.jpeg

Hide contents

Wow.....so, just like Macross, Star Wars must succumb to its pillars.....:rolleyes:

Yeah.....gotta see it on the big screen now.....wasn't going to....but that spoiler pulled me back in...;)

Now if they also tossed in a Boba Fett cameo.....

On 5/18/2018 at 10:31 AM, Smacky said:

Is it racist if I’m Asian and I hate Rose with a passion?  The character was completely unnecessary to the movie except as you pointed out, a filler role.  The entire story around her doesn’t make sense.  Within the matter of 2-3 days, she somehow heard of Finns heroics, falls in love with the guy, and is willing to sacrifice her life to save his.  Never mind the fact she is only a mechanic and somehow is dashing across the universe, saving animals, sneaking onto star destroyers, and able to pilot a speeder with such skill at the end of the movie.  The fact that the character was annoying as crap doesn’t help either.  

Whether you want to call it SJW bullshit or whatever you do, Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson were pushing a social agenda in that movie, and agree with it or not, that kind of crap has no place in a movie. 

Lol, I'm Asian too, but I hated Rose so I guess I'm a racist and a misogynist.

That is a really stupid cameo.

More of the got to tie the movies with the current expanded universe.  Watch all DVDs, play the video games, read all the comics and novels if you want to know what the bleep is going on.  Everything you needed to know was from the movies.  Everything else was just extra.   You didn't have to buy side media to find what happen to an important story element in one movie that wasn't addressed in the next one.

2 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

That is a really stupid cameo.

More of the got to tie the movies with the current expanded universe.  Watch all DVDs, play the video games, read all the comics and novels if you want to know what the bleep is going on.  Everything you needed to know was from the movies.  Everything else was just extra.   You didn't have to buy side media to find what happen to an important story element in one movie that wasn't addressed in the next one.

Unless they expand on the cameo in a future sequel or other spinoff, it was actually pointless. But they did leave room for sequels.

Oh man, that cameo is AWESOME! I'm even more excited! I've got tickets for Friday night after work, more Star Wars is good Star Wars to me. I don't get the whining about the cameo, Star Wars isn't self contained to film anymore, welcome to the past three to four decades. For those that do bother to watch the excellent shows and read some of the excellent comics and books, this is a pretty awesome little tie in. This particular character got FAR more fleshed out thanks to expanded content, otherwise they would have been one of the biggest wastes of a character in Star Wars history. I'm pumped, but then again I have been since this was announced, more Star Wars is good Star Wars, I really can't complain that this film is unnecessary, technically speaking, everything after A New Hope is unnecessary, sequels and spin offs by nature are unnecessary.

There were parts of this movie that reminded me we need a true star wars, ground battle movie.

Rogue one battle scenes was nice, but it felt a bit like kids playing shoot em up behind sofa's at times.

Spoiler

I really was awed by the atmosphere in the trenches, and it felt like a much more raw version of the battle on hoth. The combat outfits looked realistic too and esp liked the goggles worn seemingly like a stormtrooper sans armor..

Those who didn't like The Last Jedi for being too bold and subversive will probably enjoy this movie, as Solo returns to the good old fun that was the original trilogy.  Unfortunately, for me, while the movie was entertaining, it was just too generic and employed a formula that is against the diversification Disney is pushing.  White hero with a feisty love interest and a black sidekick?  Come on, this is the post Black Panther era.

anyone else see a weird pattern looking at seat reservations for the weekend?  it was odd that every  showing had the same row of seats occupied but the rest were empty? seems fishy.   i live in l.a. county, cali, could be different for other areas.

I wouldn’t read too much into Solo’s opening weekend totals. Memorial Day has a history of dragging films down. Solo might not match Beverly Hills Cop II or the original Star Wars as a break-out May blockbuster but it is in a healthy spot. 

https://www.thestreet.com/amp/slideshow/13588285/1/10-biggest-memorial-day-blockbusters-in-movie-history.html

I got to see Solo at the cinema yesterday with the family. It was a treat—had fun with all the new characters. L3 was awesome. Really enjoyed seeing the Falcon’s early days, and I’m very curious about that easter egg that was revealed near the end. 

Honestly, I’m really into the new generation of Star Wars films. Change isn’t ever easy, but I have a good feeling about this. ;)

I think part of the stalling is a TLJ effect. I really didn't have much enthusiasm for Star Wars after that wreck of a movie. Deep inside I'm still a fan of the franchise, so I gave Solo a chance this time (and I don't regret it). But I can't blame others for not giving those second chances. It's a shame really, Solo deserves better.

2 hours ago, Lorindor said:

I think part of the stalling is a TLJ effect. I really didn't have much enthusiasm for Star Wars after that wreck of a movie. Deep inside I'm still a fan of the franchise, so I gave Solo a chance this time (and I don't regret it). But I can't blame others for not giving those second chances. It's a shame really, Solo deserves better.

On the other hand... who really wanted, asked for, or indeed needed a Han Solo movie? I mean, by all indications, they've managed to turn it into something worth seeing and I will definitely see it, but still... my reaction now is the same as it was when the movie was announced: No one was clamoring for a Han Solo origin story.