6 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Damn!  That guy from Age of Adeline would have been EPIC as young Han!!! 

Totally agree! He's more believable. It's like that 'smirk' look has been embedded to him ever since. ^_^ 

21 hours ago, captain america said:

I think he makes some good points.

They actually hired the first actor they tested for Han Solo? WTF! Who does that?? They actually deserved to be fired by Disney!! Even George Lucas tested different actors for Han Solo before he settled on Harrison Ford. 

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

They actually hired the first actor they tested for Han Solo? WTF! Who does that?? They actually deserved to be fired by Disney!! Even George Lucas tested different actors for Han Solo before he settled on Harrison Ford. 

I wholeheartedly agree. You know what I think? I think it's possible that they only hired actors who would kiss KK's butt and fall in line with the SJW narrative, because, let's face it, there are way better choices to play Han. I'm with this guy.

43 minutes ago, captain america said:

I wholeheartedly agree. You know what I think? I think it's possible that they only hired actors who would kiss KK's butt and fall in line with the SJW narrative, because, let's face it, there are way better choices to play Han. I'm with this guy.

Honestly I'm only going to see Solo because it's a family outing. Otherwise I'd skip it completely until it hit netflix and even then unless it really wow'ed me I'd 1 star it. Still might.

But please speak with your wallet always.

I don’t know if I want angry rich white guys controlling the narrative and stuffing Star Wars mac and cheese down my throat. Seems too Clockwork Orange to me. Honestly, I don’t mind the changes in Solo. Invariably, some things will work and some things won’t, but I’m not going to avoid future Star Wars films because things are changing.

Good grief.

1 hour ago, danth said:

Wait a minute. You've, like, watched Mospeada right? Yellow Belmont? Cross dresser who dates an alien?

I guess the Inbits did nothing wrong. Just trying to eradicate that SJW menace!

I can like a series, or at the very least its mecha, and not agree with certain plot elements of that series. Further, I can't speak to the agenda (if any) that the creators of MOSPEADA may or may not have been pushing: it was a one-shot series (and an OVA) that never became a franchise that spanned several decades. Were it to receive a modern reboot or sequel, that would be a different story. 

What irritates me (and many fans of Star Wars) is the blatant pushing of identity politics both on and off screen, many times at the expense of good writing, good casting and an almost callous disregard for the fans and their wishes... Fans without whom the franchise would never have flourished as it has. The Marvel movies too are owned by Disney, have fans that go back further than Star Wars, but they manage to keep the politics much more low-key with focus on great writing. In my estimation it's the emphasis on identity politics that's hurting Star Wars and dividing the fan-base. Some of us would prefer they kept that stuff to themselves and maybe not make some egregious (and preventable) casting blunders that may end up harming the franchise.

Some people will like Star Wars and support the franchise no matter what. I'm cool with that. But as long as I can vote with my wallet I will, and sometimes to get change you need to implement some tough love, and that's my current stance.  That is all.

Edited by captain america

My Dad was born with one arm.  In the new Obi-Wan movie he has one arm.  What, you didn't notice in the first six films Obi-Wan had only a single arm?  Yeah, well, both Sir Alec Guiness and Ewan McGregor have such fluidity to their acting you didn't notice.  Obi-Wan has one arm, always has.

12 hours ago, captain america said:

So what?

pushing of identity politics both on and off screen

I tend not to give a carp what is done offscreen, other than breaking the law I don't care.

> My Dad was born with one arm.

When I worked at Sears (back in the dark ages, when it was the #1 retailer) one of the security guards at our store had one arm, he was a tough mother too.

Edited by Dynaman

5 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

People who whine about Ray annoy me and forget that Star Wars has a long history of strong capable women. If you take out the two Death Stars and Alderaan blowing up you'll find Leia is actually responsible for more kills than anyone else in the original trilogy.

No complaints about Rey from me. Rose on the other hand...

Most of the complaints I’ve seen online about Rose had to do with her appearance, and how much the complainers wanted her better-looking sister to survive, or to be Rose herself. The character herself is kinda secondary to that, or the viewpoint is taken that Rose would have been easier to deal with if she’d been prettier. 

Which is utter crap. The character works or it doesn’t. Appearance is utterly shallow. That said, Rose as a character pretty much worked, in my opinion, and I liked her actor quite a bit. 

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: the old fans of Star Wars are old. They’re dying off. The old actors of Star Wars are old. They have died, or are really trying hard TO die (stop flying, Ford.) If this franchise doesn’t evolve it’ll fade into irrevalance and then obscurity. That can’t happen. 

16 hours ago, captain america said:

I can like a series, or at the very least its mecha, and not agree with certain plot elements of that series. Further, I can't speak to the agenda (if any) that the creators of MOSPEADA may or may not have been pushing: it was a one-shot series (and an OVA) that never became a franchise that spanned several decades. Were it to receive a modern reboot or sequel, that would be a different story. 

Fair enough.

16 hours ago, captain america said:

What irritates me (and many fans of Star Wars) is the blatant pushing of identity politics both on and off screen...In my estimation it's the emphasis on identity politics that's hurting Star Wars and dividing the fan-base.

I still don't know what "identity politics" means other than minorities/women existing. These movies have always involved space aliens and robots, so being pissed about a black dude or an Asian chick being a main character seems pretty hilarious. 

But specifically regarding Rose, she was introduced because the story planning was disastrous. Rey and Finn are the two main characters, so when Rey went off to do Jedi stuff, there was literally nobody for Finn to interact with other than side characters like Poe.

But seriously, what sequel doesn't introduce new characters? Being angry that one happens to be an Asian women is just pure racism to be honest.

Edited by danth

22 hours ago, Dynaman said:

There we go with the SJW crap again.

You know I wonder if this SJW talk borders on Political debates.

I'm sick of term SJW.  I'm sick of watching some YouTube opinion piece where I'm in agreement with some critic's on view pop culture until they start talking about how it's the fault of the SJW.  If you spend 20 minutes viewing online fandom you'll believe everyone is either a SJW or Misogynist.  I like to believe those people only represent 10% of fandom.  They just have the loudest voices.  Majority of us don't have the time to make videos, podcasts and engage in every discussion.  Sometimes these extremist of both sides have valid points.  It is easy to feel pulled towards one team when the other team accuses you of being an SJW or Misogynist just because you agree with them on a couple of things.  You'll start thinking they were right those people are impossible to deal with and your journey to fandom extremism begins.

Yes I think they over do it with the diversity.  There are already minority characters out there who they could easily expand on without having to change a 50 year old iconic character.  Yes I thought that movie sucked.   It wasn't because of the changes for diversity.   However, team Misogyny was bitching about it for months before the movie was finished and now team SJW will accuse anyone of being homophobic, racist and sexist for not liking it.  These politics of fandom serves the media industry.   Fandom outrage is marketing tool.  Teams Misogyny and SJW reach goes beyond just fandom.  You can't read the comments section anywhere online without seeing it.

Fandom is really taking the joy out of enjoying things.  

43 minutes ago, danth said:

But specifically regarding Rose, she was introduced because the story planning was disastrous. Rey and Finn are the two main characters, so when Rey went off to do Jedi stuff, there was literally nobody for Finn to interact with other than side characters like Poe.

But seriously, what sequel doesn't introduce new characters? Being angry that one happens to be an Asian women is just pure racism to be honest.

Personally didn't care what race/gender/species Rose was, her character was a waste of space. Seriously, Finn and Poe going off on an adventure would have been wild and better then what we got and before you say that would have dropped Poe's interaction with Holdo, good. At that point it would have made what she did make sense since then she doesn't have to hide what should have been told to the command staff, Poe included. 

54 minutes ago, danth said:

Is it racist if I’m Asian and I hate Rose with a passion?  The character was completely unnecessary to the movie except as you pointed out, a filler role.  The entire story around her doesn’t make sense.  Within the matter of 2-3 days, she somehow heard of Finns heroics, falls in love with the guy, and is willing to sacrifice her life to save his.  Never mind the fact she is only a mechanic and somehow is dashing across the universe, saving animals, sneaking onto star destroyers, and able to pilot a speeder with such skill at the end of the movie.  The fact that the character was annoying as crap doesn’t help either.  

Whether you want to call it SJW bullshit or whatever you do, Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson were pushing a social agenda in that movie, and agree with it or not, that kind of crap has no place in a movie. 

Edited by Smacky

You know I wonder if this SJW talk borders on Political debates.

Since the very term is MEANT to be an insult I don't even wonder about it.  Which is why I'm taking pains to point it out when I see it.

As for the adventures of Rose and Finn, yes it was one of the problems with the movie but it was NOT due to social trends - it just happened to drag the movie down and not make any sense.

8 hours ago, Sildani said:

If this franchise doesn’t evolve it’ll fade into irrevalance and then obscurity. That can’t happen. 

Eh, something fading into obscurity is no big thing. Star Wars going the way of the dodo would be just fine by me; just leaves room for something new to take its place.

That said, the way that it did evolve, especially with this last movie, have been wholly satisfying, so I'm good either way.

11 minutes ago, electric indigo said:

Does that mean he's dating L3-37?

I've always thought that that HAS to have happened sometime in the Star Wars canon. But isn't it something like droids are regularly wiped so they don't become too much like a living being? Thus why C3P0 (Zero? Oh?) and R2D2 are such oddities, because they've gone for so long without being "factory reset," as it were?

24 minutes ago, jenius said:

Got my tickets for one week from today. My expectations are the lowest they've been for a star wars flick so hopefully it at least hits that bar. Ron Howard knows a thing or two about movie making.

Considering his track record, I dare think his intervention would do no harm, and possibly help the movie.

But isn't it something like droids are regularly wiped so they don't become too much like a living being?

THERE is a plot point for a future movie.  Droids in Star Wars almost certainly would qualify as sentient by any modern definition and yet they are treated as nothing more than slaves even by the good guys.  3PO had his memory wiped after the original trilogy by the good guys.

31 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

THERE is a plot point for a future movie.  Droids in Star Wars almost certainly would qualify as sentient by any modern definition and yet they are treated as nothing more than slaves even by the good guys.

A droid rebellion, eh?  

Droid Rebels?  The Droid Wars?

1008720672_1f9ea8ee0a.jpg

Sounds familiar.  :p

Are people really surprised that Lando would nail anything with a pulse, and probably some things without? It's Billie Dee Williams in a cape, of course he'd nail anything and everything. Pretty sure Billie Dee himself made a joke at a convention that Han and Lando were boning and that's how Lando ended up wearing Han's clothes in Return of the Jedi. Of all the reasons to hate a movie I'm not sure that a writer noting that Lando's sexual appetites would put Kirk to shame should be on that list at all.

Han and Lando being ex's would explain so damn much of their interactions we see in ESB and RotJ anyways.

32 minutes ago, CoryHolmes said:

Exes or just a casual fling?  Dammit, this is my new headcanon.

I've been floating that idea since I was a kid, not even as a preference, just a casual thought of "Y'know, it wouldn't surprise me if they went out once upon a time."

No freedom in casting characters anymore. You need to follow rules, in having all male and female of different races in your cast and every star having equal share of roles.

Even same as Macross the animation back in 1980s.