SENTAI FILMWORKS HAS LICENSED LEGEND OF GALACTIC HEROES!!!

And  as usual, its North America only, so the rest of us are blocked. So typical. Anime is just marketed in such an awful way.

I don't know if this means they will not release it physically?

• 1 month later...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2017-08-02/why-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-is-worth-your-time/.119612

I like they're promoting LOGH but feels like an advertisement for HiDive lol. It's unfortunate though that the 'slowness' of the show would turn people off. And dubs? The voice acting is great I cannot imagine the dub being better. Anyway, I feel a little guilty I still haven't finished the 2nd novel. And more guilty I haven't bought novels 3 and 4 yet. I really need to budget for them soon.

Dubbing this series will make it a bit more accessiable as there is a section of anime fans that don't want to read while watching. Personally I'd like a dub because I'd watch this series multiple times while painting minitures. I already do this with long sci-fi series and other animes (currently running thru Gundam Seed with my painting group).

As for the new version, I really want to see how they do the space battles and deal with the Terraist group plot arc (no I did not mis-spell that).

The only problem with a dub is that they'll have to hire the entire male corps of english language voice talent. Legend of the Galactic Heroes has so many characters that the name of the character gets shown onscreen for the first couple of times they appear.

My big fear is that we won't get a physical release, just the Hi-Dive stream.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like this release got botched. Apparently, SF got the wrong masters for this series. The masters they received don't have the on-screen text. One of the translators noticed this and inquired about it. The answer he got was "ah we did our job, not our problem". 

This is one of the series that really needs that onscreen text. There are so many people and places in LOGH that need to be identified. The dialogue alone is not sufficient enough to relay the information. 

Hopefully, this gets fixed for the DVD release but I doubt it will.

On 12/14/2017 at 6:44 PM, Sandman said:

Looks like this release got botched. Apparently, SF got the wrong masters for this series. The masters they received don't have the on-screen text. One of the translators noticed this and inquired about it. The answer he got was "ah we did our job, not our problem". 

This is one of the series that really needs that onscreen text. There are so many people and places in LOGH that need to be identified. The dialogue alone is not sufficient enough to relay the information. 

Hopefully, this gets fixed for the DVD release but I doubt it will.

As someone who's seen it more than twice and reads the books i will not be too affected by this, but it's certainly a big issue for all first time viewers. There are so many characters, specially on the Empire side with all the German names. Do you know if there's a BD release coming too?

• 3 months later...

So they are finally releasing this. And they’re taking no prisoners. I’m a massive fan of LoGH but 800 bucks, even for a premium release like this one is a bit steep. Holy cow!

https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/pre-order/products/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-premium-box-set

20 minutes ago, Marzan said:

So they are finally releasing this. And they’re taking no prisoners. I’m a massive fan of LoGH but 800 bucks, even for a premium release like this one is a bit steep. Holy cow!

https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/pre-order/products/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-premium-box-set

My wallet had a stroke when I got the email for this.

While it was out I mugged it for the funds. Yeah... not sorry.

2 hours ago, Focslain said:

My wallet had a stroke when I got the email for this.

While it was out I mugged it for the funds. Yeah... not sorry.

I tried to pre-order, but of course it's USA only. Sigh...

Dare I wait and see if there's a UK or an Australian release?

2 hours ago, Marzan said:

So they are finally releasing this. And they’re taking no prisoners.

Jesus... there's just no justifying that if it doesn't at least come with [rather large for that price] models of Brunhilde and Hyperion

I'm disgusted at how tempted I am to order one though............:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Marzan said:

Well if you don't mind not having the limited edition version sure.

Side question: Can you order anything from Sentiworks?

Just now, slide said:

Jesus... there's just no justifying that if it doesn't at least come with [rather large for that price] models of Brunhilde and Hyperion

I'm disgusted at how tempted I am to order one though............:ph34r:

Considering I had to drop $650 for the entirety of the Marcross Delta (course that is not including the eventual release of the movie version yet) and that was 26 eps to get 162 eps and three movies for granted a bit more I can justify it for now.

5 minutes ago, Focslain said:

Well if you don't mind not having the limited edition version sure.

Side question: Can you order anything from Sentiworks?

Considering I had to drop $650 for the entirety of the Marcross Delta (course that is not including the eventual release of the movie version yet) and that was 26 eps to get 162 eps and three movies for granted a bit more I can justify it for now.

I've never ordered anything from them directly, it's always been via Rightstuf or Amazon so I don't know.

Now that I've cooled down and done the math, the price is not that extortionate. All 110 episodes, the 52 Gaiden episodes and the 3 films. That's 5.5 minutes per dollar which is less than if you bought lets say Akame ga Kill or No Game No Life boxsets. So it's actually conmessurate.

It's just all in one go...it's like 2/3 of what I pay on my mortgage a month. So it feels pretty violent. But if i can work myself around how to get it shipped outside the US, I'll probably order it. I looove LOGH and it's one of only 4 shows I'd do this crazy stuff for.

Just now, Focslain said:

Well... I'd say the LoGH set is indisputably more value for the money, but $800?! that crap's just out of line... even going by total runtime compared to other premium releases, $300-$400 would be sane

I don't have $800 I guess I'll stick to the light novels for now :p

8 hours ago, Marzan said:

Can't you use a forwarder? Or does it limit purchases to only US credit cards?

1 hour ago, hachi said:

Can't you use a forwarder? Or does it limit purchases to only US credit cards?

We can't even access their site outside of North America.

restricted.jpg.6b3dd4d8ecf1702ff5210a4245587ffa.jpg

Otherwise, I'd have already preordered.  $800 for the complete LoGH?  Hell YEAH!

9 hours ago, slide said:

It comes with collector's coins, and lenticular cards, and a 200-page hardcover episode guide... and even without them, $33 per Blu-ray Disc isn't bad at all.

36 minutes ago, tekering said:

Otherwise, I'd have already preordered.  $800 for the complete LoGH?  Hell YEAH!

That's really too bad (for their business). Maybe it'll go up on Amazon later? If not they're really limiting their sales.

On 31/3/2018 at 8:23 AM, tekering said:

I'm surprised you got this. Have you tried deleting cookies? As far as I can tell the actual webshop is accessible overseas (I'm in Denmark btw) and I was able to order via a forwarder (I have been billed so its worked even with foreign credit card).

4 hours ago, Marzan said:

As far as I can tell the actual webshop is accessible overseas (I'm in Denmark btw)

Well, I don't know about Scandinavia, but I'm certain their distribution agreement doesn't include Japan!  :mellow:

On 31/03/2018 at 1:30 AM, tekering said:

It comes with collector's coins, and lenticular cards, and a 200-page hardcover episode guide... and even without them, $33 per Blu-ray Disc isn't bad at all.

yea, I'm nitpicking, but for real: that's 26 discs, 2 aluminium coins [not even enough to display all four faces!], and some 'cool in 1995' hologram cards for [at today's conversion rate] $1,023.58 Canadian... then shipping and taxes at the border... and what uberfan that will purchase this needs an episode guide? in Hardcover no less?

oh, and a box so oddly-shaped, which as far as I can recall has nothing to do with any design element from the show, that it doesn't look like it'll fit on a shelf.

There's simply no justifying this for me... as I said, when the less insanely priced Discs-only set comes out I'll gladly batter my wallet for it:

~$400 for a set of these, plus the $400 discs only set [I assume it'll be around that] is a far more impressive haul and I'll save about $200....

Or I could only save $100 and toss in a Brunhilde, Barbarossa and Hyperion in 1/8000 [approx 6"] off of shapeways...

Power to those who do get the Collector's set though, despite my complaining I'm super jealous.

17 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

I'm just too new to this series to justify an $800 buy in.     That is an expensive box set..   and I would be willing to get a regular edition if they ever decide to put it out.

They can't not make a 'regular' edition, they can only make $800,000 off the special ed. since it's limited to 1000 pcs... they stand to make alot more than that when they release a complete discs-only version.

• 1 year later...

The final volume of LOGH light novel will release on November 19. Frankly I've only bought the first 2 novels in print. One reason I haven't continued is I haven't finished the 2nd novel yet, and I can't find it when I want to read it! I put it somewhere not readily accessible or visible to me. :lol: So if I finally buy the rest it'll probably be as ebooks on Kindle, so I won't forget where it is and I won't also have space problems. The 2nd reason is that it isn't as exciting as watching watching the original anime. I actually am more excited for the Crest of the Stars light novels. I've seen the anime, and I've also read the online translations before. I don't know why, but it reads better and I don't seem to tire of it (except for the Abh language parts). The first 2 volumes are out, will buy the 2nd one on Kindle soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, this is one of the very few cases were the adaptation might surpass the source material. Artland and our good ole Noboru Ishiguro did a spectacular job with the LOGH OVA. They simply nailed it. And using a classical musical score just added a bucketload of oomph to the series. Everything is better with Mahler in the background.

Nevertheless, I have enjoyed reading the novels too.