Was very pleased with this finale. After episode 5 and 6 and the all too convenient superspeed travel expedition beyond the wall mini-arc, I was afraid the writing would be subpar, but they really tightened things up. GoT is at its best not with battles and chases, but those great one on one scenes like when Tyrion faced his sister or even the conversation between Jon and Theon. 

3 things though.

Was the scene between Sansa and Arya last episode just shadow play? Were they faking their contempt for one another? Because it looked pretty real to me back then. Or did Sansa’s decision to trust her sister and punish LIttlefinger come only after her conversation with Littlefinger with a lot of the preparation  occurring offscreen?

Have all the “good” characters taken the Teflon inmortality pill? When even Beric Dondarrion is evading nuclear dragons, you know that it’s not the old GOT.

At this point in the series were they are on full on lets get this wrapped up mode, not a single snippet of conversation or look is wasted. That look that Tyrion gave Jon/Daenerys hooking up gave me the creeps and I’m now convinced that his way of convincing his sister to come back to the truce talks was promising her that her unborn child would reign after Daenerys. And even though he’s been told by Dany that she cannot have kids anymore, he cannot be 100% certain. So I’m thinking that he will disappoint his queen greatly at some point next season.

I finally watched the season finale on my DVR last night but it was kinda ruined by my idiot friends on Facebook plus Youtube suggested videos too.

34 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

Ok, been a couple days.  What does everyone think of "that look" that Tyrion had at the end.  My personnel take is that he thought he had a chance...

He is conflicted because I suspect he made a deal with Cersei.

31 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

I finally watched the season finale on my DVR last night but it was kinda ruined by my idiot friends on Facebook plus Youtube suggested videos too.

He is conflicted because I suspect he made a deal with Cersei.

I've heard that before but Tyrion is not an idiot, and he knows making any kind of deal with Cersei would be idiocy.  Then again, they have not seemed to hold to the "trust but verify" paradigm in GoT.

Even IF that was what he did....Cercie voided the agreement immediately anyway by refusing to send her troops. It's a mute point. I'm really not sure what his look was about, which is what concerns me. Maybe really is in Love with her, but that would be redundant as we already have that dynamic with Sir Jorah. I think his look is going to drive us nuts for the next 1-1/2 to 2 yrs. :wacko:

Chris

Honestly I think Tyrion's reaction has purely to do with the events unfolding in Dany's cabin.

I don't think he made any type of deal that would betray Dany or Jon.

To me it felt that he was more reflective of what was transpiring and what it means to the larger picture.

-b.

Just a thought I just had....maybe he had the forlorn look because it is solidifying Jon and Dany's Alliance.....possibly leading to a union. Not saying he minds that, per say, just that Maybe he is frightful for what it means for his family. I believe he was sincere with Cercie when he said he didn't want to bring the end to his family...including her, as terrible as she is. Like she said, what happens to the Lannisters AFTER the Great War if the Alliance wins? He probably didn't completely think about that and is now realizing it? Just a thought...though once Jamie shows up it might make things easier for him. ;)

Chris

Edited by Dobber

21 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Just a thought I just had....maybe he had the forlorn look because it is solidifying Jon and Dany's Alliance.....possibly leading to a union. Not saying he minds that, per say, just that Maybe he is frightful for what it means for his family. I believe he was sincere with Cercie when he said he didn't want to bring the end to his family...including her, as terrible as she is. Like she said, what happens to the Lannisters AFTER the Great War if the Alliance wins? He probably didn't completely think about that and is now realizing it? Just a thought...though once Jamie shows up it might make things easier for him. ;)

Chris

Yep, I'm more inclined to believe that Tyrion was contemplating the impact/outcome/repercussions.

He's a very thoughtful character, in how he processes information and formulates plans. I find him betraying Dany highly unlikely, about as unlikely as him having romantic feelings towards her.

-b. 

Yeah, I'm not thinking he will or would betray her more just concerned for the future of his family. We have seen, and he even said as much, that he has been doing what he can to protect his family even as he aids in fighting them....Danny has noticed this too, though.

One thing I don't get about a lot of reviewers/theories is when they say Tyrion may be jealous of Jon because she takes Jon's advice over his.....but Jon agree's with Tyrion. She wants to do something...let's say rash Tyrion advises her not to and she asks Jon for his opinion, like a tie breaker so to speak....Tyrion advised against burning down the Red Keep and Jon agreed. Tyrion said they want to break the wheel and be a different kind of ruler and Jon agreed....so did I miss something or do reviewers have their heads up their asses as usual?

Chris

^ Very likely, as I think about it all of the other major characters had meaningful/symbolic last scenes. I just don't think it's betrayal or weakening loyalty. It'd be way too against the grain for the character over the entire series.

Above all else Tyrion is a cerebral character and a very conscientious one at that.

-b.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m pretty late on the game here, but I just finished binge watching season 7 this weekend.  The show does not disappoint.  Yeah, I noticed the instant travel as well, but I guess it didn’t bother me as much as it did others because the rest of the show made up for it.

I liked that a lot of loose ends got tied up.  The look on Tyrion’s face has me concerned.

It’s going to kill me to have to wait another 1.5-2 yrs for the finale.

On 9/11/2017 at 7:18 PM, peter said:

I’m pretty late on the game here, but I just finished binge watching season 7 this weekend.  The show does not disappoint.  Yeah, I noticed the instant travel as well, but I guess it didn’t bother me as much as it did others because the rest of the show made up for it.

I liked that a lot of loose ends got tied up.  The look on Tyrion’s face has me concerned.

It’s going to kill me to have to wait another 1.5-2 yrs for the finale.

You're hardly the only one. I wonder if HBO cannot find a way to speed things up somewhat. There's too long of a wait until the next season comes along.

45 minutes ago, Marzan said:

You're hardly the only one. I wonder if HBO cannot find a way to speed things up somewhat. There's too long of a wait until the next season comes along.

From what I've read, the main problem is filming in Winter, which means production didn't start until August this year (Filming is supposed to start in October). They can't film until late-December to February for those Winter shots. Then comes the complexity of production which will likely take up to 11 months after filming (based of Season 7's production timeline).

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That wall jutting up in between the northern lands and the south is very interesting.  I wonder if it's a hint of unexpected plot point to come.  It doesn't appear to be THE wall in the north, least not to me.

13 hours ago, Dangard Ace said:

The wolf and the dragon were covered in ice but the lion was on fire and was the counter.....the Lannaesters win?

Or it’s just because the Wolf and Dragon are headquartered in the north and the Lion is in the south. 

Chris

21 hours ago, Mazinger said:

That wall jutting up in between the northern lands and the south is very interesting.  I wonder if it's a hint of unexpected plot point to come.  It doesn't appear to be THE wall in the north, least not to me.

Yeah....looked like dragonstone....perhaps fire exposes it and white walkers can't get past it?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...