7 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Did you?

I stopped watching the show a long time ago.  The last episode I watched was when Joffrey died and some guy had his head pushed in and turned to mashed potatoes.  I sometimes lay in bed listening while my wife watches the show.  From what I heard of the finale and what my wife told me of what happened to the characters, I was like meh whatever.

Edited by sh9000

46 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

I stopped watching the show a long time ago.  The last episode I watched was when Joffrey died and some guy had his head pushed in and turned to mashed potatoes.  I sometimes lay in bed listening while my wife watches the show.  From what I heard of the finale and what my wife told me of what happened to the characters, I was like meh whatever.

Funny, that was the exact point where I stopped watching too. ^_^

I didn't really like the ending. But I'm glad that at least its over.

I heard that there are four more shows being worked on at the moment. The first is a prequel set thousands of years before A Song of Ice and Fire.

I'll admit that I came in late and only followed the show through reviews and synopses until recently.

I'm okay with the ending.

If Tyrion names Jon king, the Unsullied and Dothraki probably wipe everyone out. 

And it makes sense why he named Bran king.  Dude didn't want the crown, can't have kids (who may screw everything up), and he's got the ultimate cheat sheet to refer back to whenever a big decision has to be made.

For those of you not happy with the ending, it could have been so much worse.  They didn't go the "It was all a dream" route.  And I was about to throw something at the TV when Samwell brought up elections, but thankfully everyone shot him quickly down.

And even though Jon's been one of the main characters, he's made too may stupid moves over the years to be a good, effective king.

To me, the finale was just OK. Given how the series had been the last two seasons, I don't know if there could've been better finale. It didn't bring any feelings, though. I was like "OK, it's over" 

I really hope the books, if ever released, give the story a more satisfying ending. 

49 minutes ago, Convectuoso said:

I really hope the books, if ever released, give the story a more satisfying ending. 

I'm hoping that with the series over, GRRM will announce the release of Winds of Winter.  My hypothesis is that he's disappointed in various plot changes made for the show and has been holding back on releasing WoW in order to simply let the show run it's course.

Hopefully an announcement will come any day now.

Vox article with fairly current information on WoW - not anytime soon probably, ;-(, and some spoilerific discussion on differences between story arcs in the show version how they might manifest in the books going forward. For those of you that haven't consumed the books, we are still 2, maybe 3 seasons behind in the there and many sub-plots and even some major characters from them never made it into the show:

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/20/18631417/game-of-thrones-winds-of-winter-martin-release-date

11 hours ago, sh9000 said:

I think you did the smart thing.  

I'm glad it's over.  I didn't hate the ending, but this final season has just felt so bad, it is more a relief than anything else.

I read the books, and the one thing this season has done, more than anything else, is make me hope we actually get a book finale.  I stopped caring years ago, because I figured GRRM wasn't going to ever finish the book series.  I figured the TV show ending would be "good enough" and I could move on.  It wasn't even good, much less "good enough."  I want the books more than ever now. :unsure:

Finally got to watch the finale and I must say I was a bit surprised. Bran? Really? And that with a North not belonging to the Seven Kingdoms? Even with Tyrion's reasoning, it's still a hard sell to the other lords.

I'm sure that with George Martin's writing it would all make a whole lot more sense and be better accomplished. I look forward to reading it if he ever comes that far.

Disappointing finale. That scene with the King's council felt like some light entertainment played for laughs. Think of the acting performances and gravitas you've had on that table (Tywin Lannister, Ollena Tyrrel, Ned Stark etc). Just having some "friendly" faces on the table didn't sit well with me.

What I did like was the Stark children surviving. After their harrowing trials of the first couple of seasons, it was good to see Ned's kids land on their feet. Even though in some of the cases it was a bit contrived.
And the Unsullied got played big time. Jon ended up leaving beyond the wall. Might end up being King over there, LOL.

Spoiler

The finale hit all the right notes for me, a worthy conclusion to an epic tale. Great setup with Tyrion finding his siblings. I'm glad we didn't have to endure another massacre (at least on-screen...). I wish Dany had lived a little longer to see Drogon taking down the throne. And Jon payed the price for not stepping up against her when he still had the position. Great character moments, Brienne writing the book of brothers, Bronn bringing back the mood of the early seasons.

Last week I wasn't sure if I ever wanted to touch GoT, not because it was bad, but so hard to bear. Now I'm fully reconciled.

Spoiler

Was it implied that the dragons were at least semi-sentient?  Why would it have burned the Iron Throne?  How would it even know what it was?

Are there any witches left that could bring Dany back to life?  Where did the dragon go with Dany?

Of all the characters, I think Arya's ending is the one most likely to produce a sequel.  I'm thinking the west is going to contain a whole new threat to Westeros.

If you think about it they really set up for a sequel with this one to be made 5-10 years down the road.

Historically the worst thing that could happen for a monarch is to have no heirs or too many. Both those events usually lead to succession crisis and civil war. I really don't see Bran lasting too long as king before someone decides to roll him down a flight of stairs, mostly due to his inability/unwillingness to rule or because he granted his sister's kingdom freedom but not the others. Everyone could also turn on him if he goes full God Emperor of Dune on everyone.

After that all bets are off. Sansa makes a claim to the thrown, Jon reluctantly returns from the north, and hell even Daenrys could return given how many times people were brought back from the dead. Imagine Drogon carrying her off to a red priestess(maybe Quaithe?) And the mad queen returns full of blood and fire.

In a way much like the wars mentioned in Westeros(Blackfyre rebellion, war of the ten penny kings, Robert's rebellion, war of the kings etc) past it feels this is one big cycle set to start again

3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Good explanation for why they were taking the baby boys....was that ever explained in the books?

It hasn't been yet.  We also don't have a Night King fleshed out as much as was in the show.

These are things that I hope will get a lot more "screen time" in Winds of Winter whenever GRRM releases it.

Gotta say, that "How it should have ended" fanfic isn't half bad.

It provides a satisfying end to what I saw as the bigger issue, not Cersei, but the wights, while leaving us with an gloomy unease in our guts, the way GRRM has done in the books.  No truly happy endings, just a respite from the cold, perhaps.

20 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

It hasn't been yet.  We also don't have a Night King fleshed out as much as was in the show.

These are things that I hope will get a lot more "screen time" in Winds of Winter whenever GRRM releases it.

Gotta say, that "How it should have ended" fanfic isn't half bad.

It provides a satisfying end to what I saw as the bigger issue, not Cersei, but the wights, while leaving us with an gloomy unease in our guts, the way GRRM has done in the books.  No truly happy endings, just a respite from the cold, perhaps.

yes, it seems reasonable...however, without knowing much about the creation of the Night King or his fellow "white walkers" from the books.....does this mean that The Night King created his "people" on his own?  Why? Did he get lonely?  And why just males?   Also, are they immortal?  If so, why would the Night King be concerned about their "kind" dying out?  They would only die out if they frukk with men who know how to kill them.  Stay in their area and they should be good to go.  Again, it would seem there should be more to their story than was portrayed in the TV series and apparently in the books so far.  But I do like the posted "alernative" ending better than what we got, which was lame.  I think a better explanation as to how the Night King's kind exists and why they need to increase their numbers would help out the story.  To me, it seems like the entire series was how the only way to win the Game of thrones was to end the "game".  I hope GRRM does not make his loyal book readers wait for the last 2 books to come out to get the same outcome.

In the books, the White Walkers' origin has yet to be revealed. But Melisandre does say that they are creations of the dark god, whereas in the show they're the creations of the Children of the Forest. Maybe the showrunners gleaned their info from GRRM's notes or maybe they just pulled it out of their asses. Nothing's mentioned about them being immortal neither, it's just assumed.

As for female White Walkers, one is mentioned in the story of the Night's King. In this story, a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch fell in love with a woman who matches the description of a White Walker. While the White Walkers resemble monsters in the TV show, GRRM described them in the books as having a strange type of beauty, so a human falling in love with one wouldn't be outright disgusting.

There aren't any more instances of female White Walkers in the books, but then again, only a scant few have been seen up close, so it's difficult to say that there just aren't any.

As for Craster's deal, I just assumed that he wanted to be the only pervert rooster in the hen house, so getting rid of his sons was a win-win deal for him. But I could be wrong and perhaps the White Walkers specifically requested his sons.

2 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

This made me happy! :lol:

Much as I love the show and books, this was spot on.

As Conan O'Brien (Us, the fans) learned from Jay Leno (Disney/Marvel/Fox) in 2010, you can have anything you want in life, unless Disney wants it too.