Okay, I don't mean to start a new thread about GOT5, but I swear to God that there were two perfectly good threads here a few weeks ago, what the hell happened? I did a search and nothing came up, but then again, I don't have a lot of faith in the Search function here.

Anyway, if the threads haven't magically vanished into fat air, please point me in the right direction and Mods, feel free to close this one.

I've been avoiding it like the plague so no chance of spoilers, but I finally went on a bender and watched the whole thing this weekend. Here are my thoughts and since all episodes are out, no need for spoiler alerts right?

I thought Melissandra (The Red Witch?) actually had some power there, wtf happened, lol!

The only thing I have for Stannis:

10390075_10153468356353552_8715079095958

I almost felt bad for Cercei for a bit when she was in jail and doing the walk of shame, only because I dont particularly care for religions, but it was easy to remember what a cow she was at the end. Im guessing the High Sparrow and the not-so-silent sister will have a bad time when the Mountain gets a hold of them.

Really not liking Ramsay Snow/Bolton, hope he gets his whatfor in the near future.

I still like Jaimie and Bronn

Briennes cool, heard shes going to be in Star Wars VII.

Sansa and Theon commit suicide together?

I miss the Hound.

I liked how Arya got some revenge there, but that thing about her going blind, wtf, I dont think she deserved that. I hear her vision will be restored though, just part of her Jedi training like Luke and the helmet with the blast shield down. Love how she has a hit-list. Reminds me of Hit-Girl from Kickass.

I feel like Daeneryss pace has slowed to a grinding halt. I think it was a bad move for her to set up shop in that city. She should have just kept going like she was before, go in, free the slaves, and ask whoever wanted to freely join her army, to do so and leave the city.

Jon Snow - I cant believe they killed him off, I mean, I sort of can because its Game of Thrones, but holy, they really pulled a Julius Caesar number on him. All that foreshadowing with Melisandre calling him special(maybe shell bring him back?), the eye-to-eye he had with the white walkers, the fact that he killed a white walker boss..there was a big wtf when it happened, lol!

The threads were locked because people that have read the books kept posting elements from the book that didn't happen in the series under the premise that the show caught up to the books so all is fair to post. That's not true... these guys aren't showrunners so they have no idea what will happen in the show and what has yet to be included from the books. Even if it didn't happen exactly in the show, bringing in comparisons from the book doesn't belong in the TV thread and does SPOIL the enjoyment of people that are only watching the show.

The threads haven't been deleted. They were just hidden. I'll bring the book readers' thread back and people that have read the books will post there regardless of whether or not they are just talking about the show. That's not a new rule... that's still the same as before.

This will become the new TV thread. Book readers, I advise that you don't post here at all. Any elements from the book, any comparisons to the book, any mentions of the book... they'll be banned. That's not a new rule either. That was posted in the old TV thread by azrael. This thread will be for the enjoyment of the TV fans and it'll be kept that. Anyone that tries to look for a loophole or makes any excuse won't have another chance.

Everyone will have 12 hours to read this notice..

Edited by EXO
Changed to 12 hours from 24.

Jon Snow's death broke the internet :(

It's so quiet in here. Do I have to venture into the unknowns of the book thread for some show camaraderie? I'm still on the first book. :D

Out of all the storylines that needed to be cut off short, I feel like Stannis's story was the one I didn't need to end so quickly. All that tragedy that he made happen to himself and his loved ones... it would have been interesting how he would have dealt with it after Melisandre ditches him and the great battle in the snow was lost. It was really weak story telling to see him avoid all that.

Arya's story was probably my least favorite this year. I would have rather seen Bran stay in that cave all season than watch the boring assassination class. They should have just sent her to Koro Sensei's class... lol.

Deanarys in Mereen is always a drag but the story surrounding her was the best one. With Sir Friend Zone being exiled and Tyrion making his way and finally meeting up with her. And of course all the Drogon scenes were great.

I'd probably rank this season as one of the weakest ones, even with Hard Home as one of the best episodes in the series. As good as the last episodes were, they were rushed thru with the episodes 7 and under being too slow. They really needed to even things out. Season 4 is still the best one.

I'm not even going to mention Dorne.

The threads were locked because people that have read the books kept posting elements from the book that didn't happen in the series under the premise that the show caught up to the books so all is fair to post. That's not true... these guys aren't showrunners so they have no idea what will happen in the show and what has yet to be included from the books. Even if it didn't happen exactly in the show, bringing in comparisons from the book doesn't belong in the TV thread and does SPOIL the enjoyment of people that are only watching the show.

The threads haven't been deleted. They were just hidden. I'll bring the book readers' thread back and people that have read the books will post there regardless of whether or not they are just talking about the show. That's not a new rule... that's still the same as before.

This will become the new TV thread. Book readers, I advise that you don't post here at all. Any elements from the book, any comparisons to the book, any mentions of the book... they'll be banned. That's not a new rule either. That was posted in the old TV thread by azrael. This thread will be for the enjoyment of the TV fans and it'll be kept that. Anyone that tries to look for a loophole or makes any excuse won't have another chance.

Everyone will have 12 hours to read this notice..

Jon Snow's death broke the internet :(

It's so quiet in here. Do I have to venture into the unknowns of the book thread for some show camaraderie? I'm still on the first book. :D

Umm.....

Yeah, saying "book" doesn't mean anything. Hopefully we ain't that draconian here at MWF yet. I haven't even got a quarter through the first one. Plus I'm not inconsiderate enough to talk book spoilers so you're all safe. Promise :)

I agree...weakest season but with one of the best episodes (Hardhome) and some really great scenes sprinkled here and there.

Edited by xrentonx

Yeah, I was really bummed about Jon too. Guess Samwell won't be heading back in a hurry...

How did that dead faceless man have Arya's face..?

How was Cersei guilty of fornication if Robert was already dead?

It was good to be seeing more of Cersei tho. ;)

I could've sworn that they used two different body doubles for Cersei...not that I was looking too close B))

I was looking... lol.

https://winteriscoming.net/2015/06/22/lenas-walk-of-shame-body-double-reveals-all/

How was Cersei guilty of fornication if Robert was already dead?

It was good to be seeing more of Cersei tho. ;)

Lancel confessed to the High Sparrow about their affair that was happening before Robert's death. Ther incest and her incest with her brother... and on top of that, treason and regicide.

Lancel confessed to the High Sparrow about their affair that was happening before Robert's death. Ther incest and her incest with her brother... and on top of that, treason and regicide.

From what I remember, Cersei substituted Lancel for Jaime when he was away at Riverrun, then captured by Robb. This was after Robert's death.

'Fornication' could just mean sex outside of marriage tho. SHAME!

She managed to dodge the regicide and incest with Jaime charges.

And how are there two Jaqen H'ghar faces..? :unsure:

Agreed, we don't yet know for sure that Stannis is dead. More may come next season.

Overall, I liked this season, and those last three episodes were amazing, especially "Hardhome". However, I think I have to echo at least some of the criticisms that this season was a little weak compared to what we're used to. As the TV series goes through more and more seasons, Benioff and Weiss seem to be having a real difficult time turning their abbreviated version of the books into a tight story. The first few seasons seemed to benefit from a structure that made good use of the characters and each of the stories had interesting narratives at an enjoyable pace. But much like Martin's own later books in the series, the showrunners seem to have problems properly utilizing the concurrent stories in a way that doesn't make them feel like we're treading water. In spite of having the option to exclude a lot of the extraneous material the some say plague the later books, the show is being run as if there's too much time available in the ten episodes and they are having trouble filling it. I mean, so much of this season could have been excluded or not even written, allowing time for other more pertinent storylines.

For example, I feel Arya's story line this season has been one of the reasons 5th season has been weaker than others. Perhaps books readers are getting more out of this story than a viewer like myself (I've only read the first two books), but from a TV series viewpoint this story is far too listless and way to obfuscated to make it compelling. The finale in the house of the many-faced god was great, but most of this season was a struggle to be at all interested in what was happening because far too little of it made any sense. That mystery is clearly intentional, but our lack of any context for what's happening there makes for poor viewing.

I also felt the entire Dorne storyline was a rather serious waste of time. It was a lot of watertreading and setup for what was again a great finale moment, but also too much of nothing happening for most of the season. In spite of some great performances, I never felt compelled by anything that was happening in Dorne. It was especially disappointing because Prince Oberyn in season 4 was an amazing ambassador for Dorne. His introduction felt like the tip of a much greater iceberg. But sadly, Oberyn has been by far the most interesting thing about Dorne and he's been dead for an entire season now :(

I guess this comes across as complaining, but I've only the high quality of the first 4 seasons to blame for being critical of what comes next. Even at it's worst, this show is still one of the most compelling series I've ever watched and it doesn't show any signs of stopping, maybe only slowing down a little :)

I think it's the weakest season but by no means bad. For me it's still the most compelling thing on TV. I just hope they can keep it up until the final conclusion.

Yes... stil better than other shows, comparing it to itself... it was very uneven this season.

Lancel was already having an affair with Cersei. That's how she got him to help her get rid of Robert during his hunting trip.

I think Stannis's fate was final... that last shot was more definitive than the Hound's. But Game of Thrones has to stop doing off screen deaths. Most fans can't seem to accept the characters' demise unless it was overdone like Ser Merrin Trent... lol.

I've always loved the Starks since season one even with their perceived naivete given our omniscient point of view. I watched clips of season one and it's depressing where they ended up. Arya was so damned different (and adorable) back then! It was crazy seeing her go off on Trant like that.

EXO
I'd tend to agree, but my film experience keeps telling me they pulled away from Stannis' "final" moment for a reason.

xrentonx

The Starks fit that traditional protagonist mold, so it's difficult for us viewers - after a lifetime of bombardment from these kinds of stories - not to instantly accept and relate to them because they are likeable. That being said, they made no secret of the fact that Ned was way out of his depth politically at Kings Landing and it was clear he was going to end up in trouble.

The Arya story line is both thrilling and extremely depressing to me. As a fan of great fiction, I am finding her journey incredibly compelling, even moreso because of her gender. And the nature of her vengeance, especially coming from such a young person, is very daring storytelling. But I can't deny my parental instincts really come to the surface whenever I see Arya on screen. I never wanted this kind of life for her. The more we see her descend into this wicked world of vengeance, death, assassination and deception, the more saddened I am for the tale of her life. The world is so wrong, it's crafting this child into a brutal killer. I can see so many parallels between Arya and real life hitmen, assassins, serial killers, gun men, and other such people.

Edited by Mr March

Glad to see the thread back. It bums me out that we only get 10 or so episodes a season.. Don't other HBO shows get 15+? I swear the Sopranos did.

When your budget/episode averages ~$6 million, ~10 episodes/year is about right.

10 episodes go by so fast though... Silicon Valley is a half hour comedy about modern day tech... no special effects, no action. But it still only gets 10 episodes a season. BTW, it had a consistently solid season. The storytelling was spectacular.

I wonder who'll claim Longclaw? I hope the white walkers go to castle black on episode 1 and they have to fight without Jon... lol. F U OLLIE!!!

Aren't most of the HBO TV series around 10 episodes?

"The Wire" varied between 10-13 per season.

"True Detective" is 8 episodes a season.

"Rome" was 10-12 for two seasons.

"Deadwood" was 12 episodes for each of it's three seasons.

Game of Thrones is pretty much the norm.

Jon Snow will wield Longclaw again! I'm not gonna stop believing :D

Haha, longclaw.....didn't Sheldon and Leonard buy Longclaw on Big Bang Theory?