Macross Zero: F-14?

GMK

Shin's plane is basically an F-14B with the chin-pod of an F-14D. But that means the FineMolds kit won't work, as it is purely a D, with no A/B parts AFAIK. This mainly means the cockpit will be wrong.

You really need a Hasegawa kit to make Shin's, as their F-14D kits are F-14B kits with an extra sprue or two of parts.

If you want, you could simply acquire the chinpod only from a D, and add it to a B. That would be like Shin's. Most every other D-specific part, is not on Shin's. Shin's plane is 99% a B, 1% a D. However, that one part is the most obvious/famous part that makes a D, a D.

In fact, I have long-suspected they simply copied the Hasegawa kit itself, as there's a few minor assembly/part-choice errors in their kits, which are replicated on the M0 CGI...

I think you're misremembering your previous assessment DH: its actually the Fujimi F-14D, not hasegawa.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=7550

Honestly? I wouldn't build the Fine Molds kit as a macross model, but that's me. The internals were said to be upgraded by overtechnology, which could mean anything for what the radar looks like or parts.

::reads over:: 11 years ago? Dang. But it's probably been at least half that long since I looked at a Fujimi kit closely. The Hase kit is much more "etched into my brain".

On that note---I've got a spare Fujimi F-14D kit or two deep in the stash pile downstairs, will gladly sell to be made into Shin's!

Thanks for the details, guys.

Shame they didn't use the 'latest' F-14 model as the CGI model.

I actually like it the way it is. Somewhere along the way in the 1980s Macross history diverges from ours... and the designs have subtle changes due to a different history. I like that... it gives more character to history, which you can easily represent using a very good quality fujimi kit that is otherwise inaccurate. I think the best part of the fujimi kit is that you can make a very cool catapult diorama with the VF-0 and F-14... because it is one of the only kits in 72nd that you can build in launch configuration.

4X4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, just figured I'd show off my F-14A kit I built in UN Spacy markings. I know it's not the same type as Shin's, but I figured this could be a pre-Zero Tomcat without the B/D upgrades. Pardon my terrible camera!10177445_976958655668618_619638179874978

11698594_983743551656795_512647265883170

I even took the liberty of writing up a little back story for the squadron:

"VF-51"Screaming Eagles" was an F-14 squadron from the United States that served under UN Spacy command. As part of CVW-10, VF-51 served aboard the UNSS Ticonderoga (named for the USS Ticonderoga, a missile cruiser sunk off the coast of Okinawa), an overtechnology enhanced Nimitz class carrier similar to the UNSS Illustria. VF-51 saw action in the Indian Ocean against AUN Navy and Air Force bombers and fighters, racking up an impressive kill list that included TU-95 Bears, MiG-29 Fulcrums, and MiM-31 Karyobin. In late 2007, the squadron transitioned to the new F/A-20 Dragon II, and served until the Zentradi bombardment, where only a few members of the squadron survived in Australia's Grand Cannon when the carrier was docked for shore leave."