1/72 Moscato Regult Tactical Pod

Mintox

I just wished I had brought the Glaug. Oh how I would like to just build one for someone else let alone own one. Yeah its turning out really well. The cockpit while a pain in the bum is a feature of the kit and you really have to build it and display the interior I think.

All the painting has now finished. The guns need adding but I'll keep them off to avoid breaking them as I'll need to handle the model a bit. All the parts are slowly being painted their minor details, such as the leg joins (black). Hatch will also go on last. Then it'll be time to gloss it for the decals and start the weathering process.

post-30595-0-37997200-1442132643_thumb.jpg

Is coming along pretty neat..

Isn't the white a bit too strong in that picture..?

Yeah it is due to the very white light the photo was taken under. It'll darken down somewhat with the weathering and a softer light to photograph with.

While waiting for the decals to dry I quickly put together my VF-1A in Battroid mode to compare the scales. It still amazes me how small the Valkyries really are compared to the Zentran equipment.

post-30595-0-56924400-1442667590_thumb.jpg

I had a small set back. After applying the decals I proceeded to start with my washes. I let the first one dry and proceeded to start removing the excess when I wiped over some of the decals I removed them completely.

Apparently these decals don't like white spirits, of course this only happened because I forgot to put a top coat of clear vanish over the decals. DOH!

So I now have to recreate these decals via some templates and airbrush them back on. No big deal technically but a pain in the arse to do time wise to set up and paint.

So when washing your models with white spirits make sure - I usually do and this is the first time I have ever forgotten to do this - coat your decals with another clear coat. Oh the pain THE PAIN!

Despite your pain (and I feel for ya) it looks great so far! - MT

Thankfully its only two decals - one of the side decals on the engine and the rear decal on the back of the knee join. All easily fixed but yeah a pain in the ass. It is looking very good so far. I hope John reissues it as I'll grab another one so I can do the TV version.

Edited by Mintox

Ok I'm back on track. These photos show my initial step of a wash for getting into all the panel lines and gaps and as a basic filter over everything. Of course make sure you gloss your model with something that isnt going to be eaten by white spirits - this is the basis of the washes use, Tamiya make a good range of basic dirty colours so I tend to use theirs although with artist oils you have an unlimited range of colours you could potentially mix up. Once I let the wash dry I use a cotton bud or a piece of paper towel dipped (not too much) in white spirits and I start to remove and work into grooves etc the wash.

post-30595-0-38465000-1442959610_thumb.jpg

post-30595-0-26492500-1442959640_thumb.jpg

Started work finally on the many scratches which I tend by hand paint because of the control it gives me. I'm using a couple of varying shades of grey here, some mixed with black to give a darker chip or scratch. Its looking a little mono tone at the moment but I'll go over it with some washes and oils to tone it all in and add some grime into the recesses etc.

post-30595-0-85790900-1443794118_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mintox

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just wished I had brought the Glaug. Oh how I would like to just build one for someone else let alone own one.

Oh rly? You know I bought two, right - I'll flog you my spare if you're serious. ;p Get up to Baysie for a beer and I'll dig it up.

While waiting for the decals to dry I quickly put together my VF-1A in Battroid mode to compare the scales. It still amazes me how small the Valkyries really are compared to the Zentran equipment.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID etc etc. But the pod should really be a lot bigger...if a Valk can wear a Zent uniform and pass as a soldier at a distance, then how's a guy that big ever going to fit inside a pod? Let alone THREE of them, haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic modeling! I think the weathering looks great. I wish I had rediscovered Macross in time to get one of those kits.

But the pod should really be a lot bigger...if a Valk can wear a Zent uniform and pass as a soldier at a distance, then how's a guy that big ever going to fit inside a pod?

Someone commented in another thread about the "anime magic" and the way the relative scale of various mecha seems to change throughout the series, especially the Regult. Note the scale in this line art, which I know everyone is familiar with, but I just came across it again recently:

http://macross2.net/m3/sizecharts/sizechart-1.gif

I personally think is off, compared to how they appear in the animation, but hey, it's "official."

Has to be a mile off if Max was walking round in a valk wearing a Zentran jacket. Either the Zent in that line art is too small or the Valks are too big - likely both. The Regult and the Glaug scales are wrong too given a Zent only just fits inside the Regult but the Officer pod had a decent amount of room. The Glaug should tower over the Regults.

Has to be a mile off if Max was walking round in a valk wearing a Zentran jacket. Either the Zent in that line art is too small or the Valks are too big - likely both. The Regult and the Glaug scales are wrong too given a Zent only just fits inside the Regult but the Officer pod had a decent amount of room. The Glaug should tower over the Regults.

Yeah the scale does seem a bit off on the officers pod. It should be maybe another 20% bigger.