Whats next for Arcadia?

w8kbrder

52 minutes ago, Foblander said:

What the heck. I feel like ARCADIA didn't put anything out for 2018 other than the PF M&M.. 

This year's updated mould was the Garland. The Premium Finish reissues included Max, Milia, Roy's VF-0S, and the DYRL SDF-1. Not a bad year, IMO. The slower pace is easier on my wallet too since most of those were high ticket pre-orders (and I skipped the Garland).

Edited by technoblue

I'm just going on the bases if the Arcadia VF-1J with the GBP gets reissued on PE Format. 

We all know that the valk will be dotted up with more tampo graphs and weathered out, there's not much area to darken the GBP since its mostly in blue sans the white areas that can be actually darkened. 

Am I right on my hypothesis? :pardon:

7 minutes ago, borgified said:

I'm just going on the bases if the Arcadia VF-1J with the GBP gets reissued on PE Format. 

We all know that the valk will be dotted up with more tampo graphs and weathered out, there's not much area to darken the GBP since its mostly in blue sans the white areas that can be actually darkened. 

Am I right on my hypothesis? :pardon:

source.gif

^_^

You know, thinking about it, it really IS mindblowing that Yamato, Arcadia or Bandai have never done a proper modern day transforming 1/3000ish scale TV Macross. I mean...it IS what the show is CALLED!  I get that Yamato did the DYRL version (which I think we can all agree was totally badass), because it was more popular in Japan, but I just have to wonder why all the bean counters at all three companies didn't or don't  see how making a TV version wouldn't sell???

12 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

You know, thinking about it, it really IS mindblowing that Yamato, Arcadia or Bandai have never done a proper modern day transforming 1/3000ish scale TV Macross. I mean...it IS what the show is CALLED!  I get that Yamato did the DYRL version (which I think we can all agree was totally badass), because it was more popular in Japan, but I just have to wonder why all the bean counters at all three companies didn't or don't  see how making a TV version wouldn't sell???

Because, it probably wouldn't sell well.  As you pointed out, DYRL is the more popular version of Macross in Japan, and even that version doesn't sell too well.  The Arcadia reissue is still available at multiple online retailers.  And that is the popular one, that goes on to be (essentially) the representation of the Macross going forward.

We already have to subsidize the low production run of the DYRL SDF-1 with pretty high prices.  I'd hate to see what a TV version would cost to be economically viable.  It could easily reach into the $800 USD (shipped) range.  And to be frank, while there is definitely a lot of nostalgia for the TV SDF-1, I think it is objectively kind of ugly.  The design has not aged nearly as well as some of the other 80s Macross designs.

Would I buy one?  Maybe, depending on the price (but even the Arcadia reissue was a bit hard to justify, price-wise).  I know a lot of people on these forums would buy one, but we all know we're not the target audience.  

Edit: For whatever it is worth, I know Mr. K briefly mentioned that he would like to do one, and he brought up having to get a license for it.  So it could be a matter of the cost of the license being too high relative to the potential demand.  But that's getting pretty far off into the realm of speculation

Edited by HardlyNever

I'll bet Bandai could do one for $250-$350 that would be epic. if they really wanted to.  Arcadia...well?....yes, I agree, it might be slightly better quality in the long run, but it would be ridiculously more expensive, and then there would be the thought of "well,should I wait for the PF version?" ....IF Robotech people could find out about it and get their hands on it easily, it might sell better. But as you said, that's a lot of speculation. 

Edited by derex3592

13 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

It would need to look as good as this one...otherwise don't bother

IMG_20160512_162456.jpg

Who knows....maybe KC can get it right somehow....currently it has so much that isn't.....and no additional updates so far....think they are deep into their 1/12 Macross figs and 1/72 Vf-1s at the moment....

IMG_1875.JPG

If KC will have it painted like the first picture, I'll just bite on that one (for now) just to have it pair with the 1/3000 SDF-1 DYRL. Well, as long that it's going to be 1/3000 too. And just regret later when Arcadia decides to make one. Until then, I'll be a happy camper with a KC one. :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

If KC will have it painted like the first picture, I'll just bite on that one (for now) just to have it pair with the 1/3000 SDF-1 DYRL. Well, as long that it's going to be 1/3000 too. And just regret later when Arcadia decides to make one. Until then, I'll be a happy camper with a KC one. :rolleyes:

Yeah....1/2000 is nice but I'd prefer they go with 1/3000 for the final product...

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Arcadia has been waiting for license approval since last December. At least they were still trying at that point, not sure if they still are.

29 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Yeah....1/2000 is nice but I'd prefer they go with 1/3000 for the final product...

Me too. At 1/2000, I might end up getting the old 1/3000 Takatoku version just to compliment Arcadia's SDF. But I'll probably just wait... for now. Need to save some dough first for the Holidays. :rolleyes:

I wish Arcadia would secure licenses to make some of the valks that have never been made in toy form- VF-5000, VF-14, VF-9 to start with.  There's untapped potential there, and I'd love some 1/60 toys of these things.

However, given the price difference between Bandai and Arcadia, more and more I lean towards Bandai. Before Bandai does anything else, I hope they produce the YF-21. I know Mr. K would like to do the YF-21 too, but it doesn't look too likely now with Bandai encroaching on the Plus license.

As for the SDF-1, I'm likely in a minority of one here, but I never cared for the design. I much prefer the Macross Quarter's design from Frontier- much prettier ship IMHO. But, I get why folks like the SDF-1- like Derex 3592 said, the show was named after that ship, and it has remained a component of every successive series thus far, as it should. The design just doesn't really speak to me. The valk designs are what brought me in and keep me coming back.

See, I'm in the exact opposite boat as M'Kyuun over here. I was always fascinated by the SDF-1!  A huuuuge ship that had a city inside of it! I begged and begged my parents for any model of it I could get my hands on back in the mid-80s, which were few and far between in Fort Worth TX in the mid 80's. Of course the Matchbox one I got for Christmas from Toys R Us, which I still have, sadly the arms are broken off from the body, was awesome for the time.  I knew EXACTLY what the package was under the tree in 85 or 86 because I had spent what seemed like hours staring at it every time we went to Toys R Us! I always imagined how cool it would be to actually be aboard a ship that size and what the layout was like inside. Great memories. So in closing, I will admit that KC one doesn't really look bad, but OMGGG that silver, paint that an off white and I would bite very easily if it didn't have stupid light up or electronic gimmicks on it.

Edited by derex3592

I'm not crazy about the overall aesthetic of the SDF-1, how it looks on the outside as a ship. The concept of its having full blown cities inside of it is just fascinating, especially when one considers that it needs to transform, and all that infrastructure needs to somehow be preserved through that process. The engineer wannabe in me delights in the challenges presented. So, that element of the Macross was always very cool.

Every conversation about arcadia doing something new inevitably leads to the question and anxiety of how much it'd cost.  does anyone have conclusive evidence that yamato folded because its pricing strategy for macross items?  i mean they made a lot of stuff other than macross too.  also, why do i get the feeling it had something to do with financial technicalities/legalities etc. rather than actual profit/loss from operations etc.  Did I read that somewhere years ago or am i making that up in my head?  anyway, it'd be nice to know once and for all.  lol. 

while i am 95% sure an arcadia tv sdf-1 would beat anything bandai or KC (i mean the fit, finish, tolerances are way better from a molding perspective and attention to detail other than coloring is very very good) would do....do i want something that is 25% better for 150%-175% the cost?  i used to root for yamato and then arcadia, but their recent pricing and tampo withholding for PF versions is really irksome.  i find myself wishing bandai would release things i wish yamato/arcadia would.  and no, this isn't just because i miss yamato pricing.  i really wish arcadia could be more competitive because competition is good.

On 11/21/2018 at 3:30 PM, Mechapilot77 said:

does anyone have conclusive evidence that yamato folded because its pricing strategy for macross items?  i mean they made a lot of stuff other than macross too.  also, why do i get the feeling it had something to do with financial technicalities/legalities etc. rather than actual profit/loss from operations etc.  Did I read that somewhere years ago or am i making that up in my head?  anyway, it'd be nice to know once and for all.  lol.

No, no one would have conclusive evidence of that, it's just speculation. Since the main income source of Yamato (and Arcadia) is likely from selling those creepy dolls, the reason Yamato folded could just as well have been due to fluctuations in the doll sales. They way Yamato transitioned into Arcadia was a bit strange as well. I've heard people speculate it was some kind of elaborate tax evasion or something like that. But yeah, no one really knows and we shouldn't take speculations as facts.

On 11/21/2018 at 6:30 AM, Mechapilot77 said:

Every conversation about arcadia doing something new inevitably leads to the question and anxiety of how much it'd cost.  does anyone have conclusive evidence that yamato folded because its pricing strategy for macross items?  i mean they made a lot of stuff other than macross too.  also, why do i get the feeling it had something to do with financial technicalities/legalities etc. rather than actual profit/loss from operations etc.  Did I read that somewhere years ago or am i making that up in my head?  anyway, it'd be nice to know once and for all.  lol. 

while i am 95% sure an arcadia tv sdf-1 would beat anything bandai or KC (i mean the fit, finish, tolerances are way better from a molding perspective and attention to detail other than coloring is very very good) would do....do i want something that is 25% better for 150%-175% the cost?  i used to root for yamato and then arcadia, but their recent pricing and tampo withholding for PF versions is really irksome.  i find myself wishing bandai would release things i wish yamato/arcadia would.  and no, this isn't just because i miss yamato pricing.  i really wish arcadia could be more competitive because competition is good.

Ignoring the shuttering of Yamato, it's still obvious that Arcadia releases are expensive based solely on what they have produced (in comparison to larger toy companies and Yamato).

Edited by jenius

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2018 at 7:27 AM, Pulltoeject said:

Could someone please ask Mr. K if they might re-release the 1/60 unassembled Vf-1 kits ? 

+1